Homecoming Code of Conduct Updates - March 7th, 2020

On 3/7/2020 at 10:27 PM, Urbanknight said:

As the current leader of the above-mentioned group(as the character Lady Britannia), I'd like to echo what was said by One Hit Wonder. Our original leader received permission from the developers to use the Dawn Patrol name in the first days of the game being live, and he still has the email proving that. We were an active roleplay group on the Virtue server under the Dawn Patrol name right up until the live shutdown.

For our entire sg existence, we have strove to keep all our roleplay based with a strict reverence towards all lore established at the time of the game going live and all lore established going forward from that point by the developers and done our best not to deviate too far from that over the years. If you have ever visited our website, you'd see that we have a comprehensive set of rules, regulations, and code of conduct that we expect members to follow to represent the Dawn Patrol name as best as we can, and we have removed/banned members from the group for conduct that broke those rules.

I can see the argument that some may see what we do as a group as a perversion of what the developers originally established. I also know that we’ve have had a lot of positive feedback over the years from players about how much they’ve enjoyed and appreciated what our members have added to the game.  Honestly, this is the first time I’ve heard negative feedback from anyone over the fact that we’ve used the name, and to those that may have an issue with us using it, I invite you to look over our personal forums and see what we’ve establish to preserve and honor what the developers created so many years ago.

If the Homecoming devs feel that we should no longer move forward from this point using the Dawn Patrol name, we will of course accede to their wishes and change our name. We will also continue to move forward from that point on as a British-themed supergroup and will not change our beliefs or ideals moving forward. We love Homecoming and the Everlasting server and have no wish to leave it, even if we have to change our name. It is my hope that the Homecoming devs will see what we do as a positive influence on the game and allow us to continue as we are. Thank you all for taking the time to read my response.

https://thedawnpatrol.boards.net/

Fair enough. Its just a me thing (probably). But you do you. *shrugs*. If the original devs were cool with it, neat. If the new devs are fine with it, thats also neat. Thank you for the well written response, very civil. Apologises on my end for not being polite myself, it was a bitter thing to say. I hope we can move past it. 🙂

Edited by Ry

Here's a question about the Code, what does it say about names like COVID-19 ?  I saw someone on Excelsior with that name for their alt.  I just shook my head.

• Thanks 1

It's the most prominent, dominant badge hunter! Pay homage! All badges obtained on all 15 Archetypes!

2 hours ago, Voltor said:

Here's a question about the Code, what does it say about names like COVID-19 ?  I saw someone on Excelsior with that name for their alt.  I just shook my head.

So what.

• Confused 1

Has a toon of EVERY prim/sec combination(2062)

• Homecoming Team
9 hours ago, Voltor said:

Covered by:

Anything involving sensitive events, both current and historical

Please report such players if they're causing problems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

15 hours ago, Ironblade said:

I have perfect stealth if anyone who might have observed me is dead.

Talking about how stealthy and sneaky you are.

FAIL!

Agony booth!
Double settings!

• Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

12 hours ago, Ry said:

Fair enough. Its just a me thing (probably). But you do you. *shrugs*. If the original devs were cool with it, neat. If the new devs are fine with it, thats also neat. Thank you for the well written response, very civil. Apologises on my end for not being polite myself, it was a bitter thing to say. I hope we can move past it. 🙂

I appreciate your response back along with your apology.  We're good as far as I'm concerned. 🙂

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Nericus said:

Bad taste?

Meh . More people died from the sword , bullets , poison , being burned , .... All power options.  I'm sure the name West Nile is taken also. Meh meh meh . I disagree . Don't like it , don't group with them. 

Has a toon of EVERY prim/sec combination(2062)

3 hours ago, artphobia said:

Meh . More people died from the sword , bullets , poison , being burned , .... All power options.  I'm sure the name West Nile is taken also. Meh meh meh . I disagree . Don't like it , don't group with them. 

Of course it's bad taste, anybody that does that does that is a douchebag, no exception. I personally don't think it's a huge deal, just a dick move. I just silently judged the person when I saw it and moved on. 

Edited by MunkiLord
  • Like 1

I find it strange that people playing this game, which would not exist in its current playable form if the developers hadn't resurrected it from the dead, are so critical of the developers, themselves, as they try to navigate the uncertain waters of handling the IP issues attendant with it.

I, for one, am simply very thankful for having got the opportunity to enjoy the game.  I never had the chance to try it, back when it first came out, and if not for Homecoming, I would never have been able to play it.  I don't know if Homecoming will be able to continue in its present state, due to the legal issues involved, but it seems more sensible to try to enjoy what we have, while we have it- rather than complain about it.

If you think it's better to go back to nothing, consider quitting and playing something else, and letting the rest of us enjoy what we've got.  Creating a toxic game community will only suck the joy out of it for the rest of us.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Grindingsucks said:

I find it strange that people playing this game, which would not exist in its current playable form if the developers hadn't resurrected it from the dead, are so critical of the developers, themselves, as they try to navigate the uncertain waters of handling the IP issues attendant with it.

I, for one, am simply very thankful for having got the opportunity to enjoy the game.  I never had the chance to try it, back when it first came out, and if not for Homecoming, I would never have been able to play it.  I don't know if Homecoming will be able to continue in its present state, due to the legal issues involved, but it seems more sensible to try to enjoy what we have, while we have it- rather than complain about it.

If you think it's better to go back to nothing, consider quitting and playing something else, and letting the rest of us enjoy what we've got.  Creating a toxic game community will only suck the joy out of it for the rest of us.

I think a distinction needs to be made between critical sentiments and toxic behaviour. Critical feedback is a necessary part of any healthy community. Frequently, it can veer too far into toxicity, where it does pose a problem, but care also needs to be taken for feedback that is either supportive or indifferent. A brisk dismissal of emotional reactions on the basis that they are emotional reactions is unlikely to change anyone's mind and is unproductive and borderline toxic in its own right. That itself can also come from an emotional reaction, of course, and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, but telling people to not complain, characterizing dissent as wanting the worst for the community, and asking them to quit is also unproductive.

Forum culture has always been one of the worst aspects of the CoX community for me, and I'd like to see a cultural change.

• Like 2

KiTTY / @ROBOKiTTY

Everlasting / Former Virtue mascot

How to Hamidon Raid Virtue-Style, Addendum for HC edition

Badge checklist popmenu

Your points are valid, and I don't disagree, on the whole.   My post was meant to address those comments which are toxic in nature (and, if you'll forgive me for saying so, it seems to me that most of the comments that I've read in this topic are of the toxic, rather than helpful, variety).

It's fine to offer constructive criticism and an alternate opinion, but it should be done in a civil tone and with the long term goal of enhancing the overall game experience for the majority.

On the other hand, you're dead right about one thing; I'm unlikely to change anyone's mind, regardless of my comments, so I've likely wasted my time, in any event.  Given this, I'm not sure why I even bothered.  Maybe it was, as you suggested, simply my own "emotional reaction" to their "emotional reactions."

Anyway, I love this game and I hope neither the legal issues or community issues cause it to fade into obscurity again, when it still has so much life left in it.  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Like 1
On 3/14/2020 at 6:13 AM, Jimmy said:

Please report such players if they're causing problems.

Having a stupid name (COVID-19) is not a problem unless we are defining "problem" as someone being outraged over nothing?

Anyway, I read the first five or so pages of comments and am still not clear on something suggested by massively since it may apply to me and my sg:

We’ve reached out to multiple members on the Homecoming team for clarification on what the precise penalty for violation is, as well as when it’s expected to lift, what the motivation was, and whether it will extend to cover things like screenshots. We’ll update when we have complete answers.

Does the Code of Conduct violation thingy apply to screenshots or not?  My whole sg posts HC screenshots in our forum threads, so I am very curious about that.  If it applies to screenshots, we will stop, of course, but I just want to be clear on that point. 

Also, and as a bit of an aside since I don't stream of create videos, but I do watch them:  what about the video base-building guides uploaded to the forums that so many of us find invaluable (like the fantastic work of @Dacy)?  Are those conduct violations going forward?

Edited by Tahliah
clarity
On 3/7/2020 at 7:54 AM, Jimmy said:

Videos and Streaming
As we requested a few months back, we would prefer if streams and videos of gameplay on Homecoming were not broadcast or uploaded whilst we are still working on legitimizing the server.

We’re now going to be enforcing this as part of the Code of Conduct:

Any videos uploaded before tomorrow (March 8th) will be left alone, but any new videos or streams will be treated as a Code of Conduct violation.

While we understand this may be frustrating, it is unfortunately a necessary step we must take. This rule will only remain in place whilst these efforts are still ongoing - we will be lifting this restriction once this process has reached its conclusion.

Odd decision making.

Edited by Morinis
  • Like 1
On 3/13/2020 at 8:46 PM, Voltor said:

yeah, I really careless about it.

On 3/19/2020 at 4:27 AM, Morinis said:

Odd decision making.

Probably a condition of their NDA during negotiations with NCSoft.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

• 3 weeks later
On 3/7/2020 at 6:54 AM, Jimmy said:

Videos and Streaming
As we requested a few months back, we would prefer if streams and videos of gameplay on Homecoming were not broadcast or uploaded whilst we are still working on legitimizing the server.

Seeking a clarification - blogging, social media, and screenshots are acceptable, yes?

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

• 10 months later
On 3/7/2020 at 7:54 AM, Jimmy said:

Hello!

Today we’ve made two updates to our Code of Conduct. One focuses on ensuring everyone in the roleplaying community is on a level playing field, and the other relates to video content.

Existing Characters & Groups
We’ve updated the Content Guidelines to clarify some recent misunderstandings regarding usage of existing characters and groups from the City of Heroes lore.

Old wording:

Understandably, this wasn’t clear enough and there were many grey areas regarding what constituted a signature character. Additionally, we didn’t foresee there being issues with players representing themselves as an official group in-game, so the language has also been updated to cover that. 

New Wording:

Note that this doesn’t mean you can’t play as a division or subgroup of an existing entity - while you can’t name your Supergroup Arachnos, it would be just fine to call yourself Arachnos Boilerpeople Local 451. The key part of the rule is that you can’t claim to represent an existing organization as a whole.

You are also completely free to create your own characters within an existing group - such as a Longbow officer or a Malta operative - but they must be original characters, not copies of existing characters (such as Agent Crimson or Director 11).

Videos and Streaming

We’re now going to be enforcing this as part of the Code of Conduct:

Any videos uploaded before tomorrow (March 8th) will be left alone, but any new videos or streams will be treated as a Code of Conduct violation.

While we understand this may be frustrating, it is unfortunately a necessary step we must take. This rule will only remain in place whilst these efforts are still ongoing - we will be lifting this restriction once this process has reached its conclusion.

The full Code of Conduct can be found here. Thank you for your understanding.

- The Homecoming Team

Feels like an indefinite ban on streaming at this point since there has been no notable progress made in the negotiations in the past year. Sigh.

2 minutes ago, Burnt Toast said:

Feels like an indefinite ban on streaming at this point since there has been no notable progress made in the negotiations in the past year. Sigh.

Twitch doesn't allow streaming from unauthorized private servers anyway, so HC's CoC isn't all that onerous.

@Rathstar

Just now, Rathulfr said:

Twitch doesn't allow streaming from unauthorized private servers anyway, so HC's CoC isn't all that onerous.

Twitch does not police their content unless a report is made (or their AI detects a DMCA) - there are well over a dozen content creators on Twitch who have streamed CoH for over a year. NCSoft would have to make a claim against these streamers, but they haven't. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Burnt Toast said:

Twitch does not police their content unless a report is made (or their AI detects a DMCA) - there are well over a dozen content creators on Twitch who have streamed CoH for over a year. NCSoft would have to make a claim against these streamers, but they haven't. 

They have, however, on YouTube, which started this whole thing.

On 3/4/2021 at 10:23 AM, Burnt Toast said:

My point was not "all the other kids doing it, so we should be able to, too", but rather, "Both Twitch and HC have policies against it, therefore it's not unreasonable". 

If I get pulled over for speeding, the cop doesn't let me drive away without a ticket just because other drivers have gotten away with it for 100 years before me.  It doesn't matter who or how many times a policy is violated: what matters is that the policy exists and could be enforced at any time.

• Like 4

@Rathstar

• Jimmy locked this topic