If you could change the sentinel (or not) which would you choose?(Poll/Opinions)

Vulgaris

Sentinel Poll  

129 members have voted

1. 1. If you could revamp sentinel as something entirely different or just gently tweak it what would you choose?

• It's fine as is, no change necessary.
    • Keep the archetype and opportunity mechanic largely the same, just increase the rate it builds up and increase it's buff and debuff values.
    • Change it's opportunity mechanic to an active marked target power that adds primary power set specific effects, debuffs, bonuses to the sentinel or effect procs for attacking a marked target.
    • Give it dominator style hybrid offense and make it's mechanic increase your ranged power as you melee, and melee power as you attack with ranged.
    • Completely change it! Go crazy with it, Make it a tanker controller, a scrappy defender, a mastermind mashup- Anything else but this!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/03/20 at 11:02 AM

Some sets are mostly 40 range which makes you a scrapper. Needs review. Otherwise I am very tanky at range except when Ninjitsu it seems. Sometimes I can jump into the middle of the fray and mini-tank or off-tank with the other sets though it is very risky.

That's all though. Sentinel is not a Blaster or a Scrapper. It's like a hit and fade hybrid and works fine for me.

However, the Epic Pool powers are worthless. I never take them.

Edited by Omega9
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later
On 6/1/2020 at 12:42 PM, Zerethon said:

I...Disagree with this, and i'm late as always

After 50'ing 3 and quite literally making another today, they actually feel (Aside from the sucky function of opportunity to use it) Like something that's ALWAYS been here, because it makes sense in a weird way.

Most "Blaster" type characters in comics are more like sentinels anyways. Having an Elec/Elec dom, blaster and sentinel now, i can say that the Elec/Elec sent "Feels" the best overall to play.

The dom can hit like a freight train and lock down whole groups, but has a lot more "Oh ****" moments when big AOE's and things get thrown around, the blaster is the same way, can't totally lock groups down but you can still CC and slap the heck out of them.

The sentinel? I don't have the damage output, but i have the durability and built-in travel power of elec armor that can't be suppressed in combat easily. so while i can't quite instaclear a group, i can take out group after group with relative impunity between END drain and armor combined with an even more flexible build path. As useful as offense opportunity would be it's just not worth taking for how outright tanky i can get with my usual build.

Long story short, if opportunity was reworked to work like dom (Click button, place debuff, recieve bacon) since it's already built from it, sentinels would basically just be a class entirely built like crab spiders. Not really a true DPS or anything, but a tanky damage dealer with team utility and survival letting them play even more aggressive to spread the love, And by love i mean considerable damage at a moderate pace.

I dont suppose you would be willing to share your Elec/Elec sentinel build?  I have just recently started one and im trying to figure out the best way to build him.

I don't have mids so can't really share builds (plus, I build on the cheap), but I would like to share that I've slotted the End Mod (forget what it's called atm) Chance to Stun IO in almost all my attacks, even the aura. And it basically makes my Elec/Elec/Elec Sent strong enough to tank (minus the taunt, of course, but the aura makes up for that).

5 hours ago, Damoklese said:

I dont suppose you would be willing to share your Elec/Elec sentinel build?  I have just recently started one and im trying to figure out the best way to build him.

Sure, and because someone will chime in on it. It's not built for the "Insane Deeps" it's more about smashing END off enemies (Including AV's and up, naturally) though originally i had some slotting for more spike damage on certain powers (Zpping bolt, tesla cage)

5 minutes ago, Six Six said:

I don't have mids so can't really share builds (plus, I build on the cheap), but I would like to share that I've slotted the End Mod (forget what it's called atm) Chance to Stun IO in almost all my attacks, even the aura. And it basically makes my Elec/Elec/Elec Sent strong enough to tank (minus the taunt, of course, but the aura makes up for that).

Chance to stun is comical in elec builds and should probably be unique just for this edge-case....But it's not and for a heavily offense focused build, it's a thing of beauty, if i had the extra slots i'd slot a few for even more CC

Build:

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Shadovolt: Level 50 Magic Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Electrical Blast
Secondary Power Set: Electric Armor
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
------------
Level 1:    Lightning Bolt            SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity:50(A), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg:50(3), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(31), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(37), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(43)
Level 1:    Charged Armor            Ags-ResDam:50(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx:50(5), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(31), Ags-ResDam/Rchg:50(46)
Level 2:    Ball Lightning            SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb:50(A), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg:50(3), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(21), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg:50(37), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(50), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(50)
Level 4:    Conductive Shield        UnbGrd-ResDam:50(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx:50(5), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam:50(34), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(46)
Level 6:    Zapping Bolt            Dvs-Hold%:50(A), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(7), Dvs-Acc/Dmg:50(7), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(25), Dvs-Dmg/EndRdx:50(40)
Level 8:    Aim                GssSynFr--Build%:50(A)
Level 10:    Energize            Prv-Absorb%:50(A), Prv-Heal:50(11), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx:50(11), Prv-Heal/EndRdx:50(19), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg:50(34), Prv-Heal/Rchg:50(40)
Level 12:    Tesla Cage            Lck-%Hold:50(A), Dvs-Hold%:50(13), Dvs-Acc/Dmg:50(21), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(40), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(50)
Level 14:    Stealth                LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), Rct-ResDam%:50(15), Rct-Def/EndRdx:50(15), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(34)
Level 16:    Static Shield            Ags-Psi/Status:50(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx:50(17), Ags-ResDam:50(17)
Level 18:    Charged Shield            RgnTss-Regen+:30(A), RgnTss-Heal/EndRdx:30(29)
Level 20:    Grounded            GldArm-3defTpProc:50(A)
Level 22:    Hasten                RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(23), RechRdx-I:50(23)
Level 24:    Combat Jumping            LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), GifoftheA-Run+:40(25)
Level 26:    Short Circuit            FuroftheG-ResDeb%:50(A), Obl-%Dam:50(27), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(27), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed:50(36), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End:50(37)
Level 28:    Lightning Reflexes        Run-I:50(A), Run-I:50(29)
Level 30:    Kick                Dmg-I:50(A)
Level 32:    Thunderous Blast        Rgn-Knock%:50(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx:50(33), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg:50(33), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(33), Rgn-Acc/Rchg:50(43)
Level 35:    Power Sink            PrfShf-End%:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg:50(36)
Level 38:    Tough                Ags-ResDam:50(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx:50(39), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(39), Ags-ResDam/Rchg:50(39)
Level 41:    Electrifying Fences        GrvAnc-Hold%:50(A), GrvAnc-Immob/EndRdx:50(42), GrvAnc-Immob/Rchg:50(42), GrvAnc-Acc/Immob/Rchg:50(42), GrvAnc-Acc/Rchg:50(43)
Level 44:    Thunder Strike            Arm-Dam%:50(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx:50(45), Arm-Dmg/Rchg:50(45), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(45), Arm-Acc/Rchg:50(46)
Level 47:    Weave                LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:50(48), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx:50(48), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(48)
Level 49:    Power Surge            StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(A)
Level 1:    Brawl                Dmg-I:50(A)
Level 1:    Opportunity    
Level 1:    Sprint                Clr-Stlth:50(A), Clr-RunSpd:50(31)
Level 2:    Rest                Heal-I:50(A)
Level 4:    Ninja Run    
Level 2:    Swift                Run-I:50(A), Run-I:50(36)
Level 2:    Health                Pnc-Heal/+End:50(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(13), Mrc-Rcvry+:40(19)
Level 2:    Hurdle                Jump-I:50(A)
Level 2:    Stamina                PrfShf-End%:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod:50(9), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg:50(9)
Level 50:    Agility Radial Paragon    
Level 50:    Ion Radial Final Judgement    
Level 50:    Preemptive Radial Flawless Interface    
Level 50:    Ageless Core Epiphany    
Level 50:    Control Radial Embodiment    
Level 50:    IDF Core Superior Ally    
------------

Datalink: Shadovolt Build

Summary: Decent DPS, high END Drain/rec debuff, VERY high resists (Near cap or capped to 5) and hovering around the 20% Defense mark basically across the board, pretty speedy as well with ninja run on (80.5mph)

Downsides: Not super fast to kill, no real extra damage types for resistant enemies, and Energize is occasionally necessary just for the end discount in long fights, especially in non-incarnate content (EG: Anything under 50+ level)

Overall, though. Suuuper fun to play, you pretty much only need 1-2 hits or a nuke and a group of enemies is permanently out of end, aside from maybe 1 lucky random dodge where they get a poke in before you nuke their end again, and in teams, you basically become a secondary controller. Fast recharge on TB combined with cages pretty much ensures you have a bunch of useless punching bags staring at you, instead of groups of enemies

Solo, well, everything is equally difficult if it can't attack you.

Hey glad to see people are still talking, though a few posts are giving off a rather toxic take on a public venue in regards to what is and isn't valid/relevant.  The polls purpose was primarily to attempt to tack on a more tangible, objective numerical value to "How many people think something is wrong?" VS Just dry discussion alone.

Seeing X pages on a thread gives less information at a glance than "More people picked X than Y"
Even if you don't agree or want exactly to the letter a single option presented, Ultimately out of 129 votes- a grand total of 16 individuals said "It's fine as is" and dismissing  everything else out of hand entirely as false perception/misinformation at that point is a stretch. 12.4% (rounded from a result of 15.996 obviously)   of all votes are the only votes that think it doesn't need any tweaks whatsoever.

The at a glance consensus is it's missing -something- or something is lacking. The AT lacks a certin je ne sais quoi and even on a dev note it was stated back in september 2019 and I quote.

On 9/19/2019 at 2:08 PM, Captain Powerhouse said:

I have not had a chance to go through this entire thread but I saw the subject and wanted to drop a quick comment:

The AT will go through what may be considered a drastic revamp, I do have my hands full right now so it wont happen soon.

Things I can say at this time: the entire inherent will be scrapped. The original goal was the sentinel would do lower than scrapper damage half the time, and half the time inside offensive opportunity they would do DPS much higher than scrapper, averaging to 50/50 bit below scrapper damage.

Once the inherent is scrapped, the AT damage scale will go up to be comparable (not equal) to scrappers. The AT will get a new inherent that wont be as required to sustain dps, if at all. My current goal is for the AT to do a bit of honor to it's name and become a bit of a spotter/lookout, via inherent mechanics.

Things that wont happen (again sorry if I misread) are target cap increases or any addition of taunting capabilities. The goal of the AT is to be akin to a ranged scrapper, not an armored blaster, much less an off-tank.

I think a lot of the topic itself stagnating and back and forth "It's fine" "No it's not" "Here's my take" "No here's my take" is misplacing a lot of frustrations.

Edited by Vulgaris

Ok coming from a player who plays Sentinels quite a bit.  [ I have Elec/Elec, Dark/ Regen, Ice/Bio, Beam/Bio, & Sonic/Bio at 50 and a Water/Bio at 48. ]

I think it is pretty simple to tweak Sentinels.

#1 - Up Damage to at least 1.0

and

#2 - Make sure that the AT Inherent is not tied to using T1 for Off. or T2 for Def.   I thought we learned our lesson with Tanks and bruising...

On 3/10/2020 at 4:38 AM, biostem said:

What about some sort of simultaneous debuff effect AND HoT effect, which scaled one way or the other, based upon how high/low your health is?  The higher your health, the stronger the debuff applied to the enemy & the lower your health, the greater the HoT is that's applied to you...

This is a decent idea

Or keep the current idea, but combine them into one Dominator-style Clickable power so you can choose when to use it without it being tied to a specific attack.  So you click it, and then it will be triggered by the next primary ST attack.

• 2 weeks later
  • 3 weeks later

Another idea:

Remove the "bruising" debuffs from all Sentinel attacks. Increase base damage by AT LEAST as much.

Detach Opportunity from attacks entirely. Get rid of the bar. Make it a separate button that works as follows:

Opportunity becomes a Toggle that you put on an enemy, tagged "Enemies will not notice this attack".

When you turn ON the toggle the only effect is a Target indicator appears over the targets head.

When you turn OFF the toggle the Vulnerability debuff is cast on the target and the Sentinel gets the Opportunity buff (BOTH Offensive and Defensive portions together) for 15 seconds. Perhaps the On period has a limited time? Like, if you haven't turned it off after 10 seconds it turns off itself and engages the buffs/debuffs?

The toggle then has a 45 (or 60? I'm not sure.) second recharge period that cannot be reduced with buffs.

This design allows the Sentinel to act as a "shot caller", and gives them much more control over when to use their ability.

Edited by Wavicle

Is it possible to debuff accuracy?  Not to-hit, accuracy.  Or is it not a global stat or something for enemies?

I've been thinking about the sentinel as an initiator.  Like someone who can be at the fringes of a group creating a little space for the group to deal with enemies.  And my thought was this:

Hitting an enemy with any damage power as a Sent does the following, in this order:

1.  If the enemy does not have the Warded Off status, gives them a -50% accuracy (possibly unresistable, definitely not stackable) for 5 seconds.

2.  Gives the enemy the Warded Off status (which does nothing) for 45 seconds (or longer).

So thematically, the idea is that the sent keeps watch, and if an ambush or something comes, the sentinel slams them with a short-lived but powerful debuff that gives the group time to react.  More realistically, the sent has an ability to survive alpha strikes/do some initiation if you lack a tank, without getting a general increase in durability.

Why -accuracy?  Basically, because it stacks with defense, so it would be a welcome ability even for people/teams who are at or beyond softcap, giving sentinels a unique, potentially useful ability that nobody else can replicate, but not trying to make them be better blasters or anything.  Because it's a kind of mitigation that nobody has right now, it lets sentinels of all powerset combos bring something to the table.  Because it's so short-term and can only be applied once during the expected lifespan of a spawn, it's not overbalanced.

In practice, if accuracy even is debuffable, I doubt that the HC team wants to open the door to accuracy debuffing.

Plus give sents damage scalar of 1.05 or 1.1.  Remove all existing inherent abilities.

Edited by aethereal
Add damage scalar.

31 minutes ago, aethereal said:

Is it possible to debuff accuracy?  Not to-hit, accuracy.  Or is it not a global stat or something for enemies?

I've been thinking about the sentinel as an initiator.  Like someone who can be at the fringes of a group creating a little space for the group to deal with enemies.  And my thought was this:

Hitting an enemy with any damage power as a Sent does the following, in this order:

1.  If the enemy does not have the Warded Off status, gives them a -50% accuracy (possibly unresistable, definitely not stackable) for 5 seconds.

2.  Gives the enemy the Warded Off status (which does nothing) for 45 seconds (or longer).

So thematically, the idea is that the sent keeps watch, and if an ambush or something comes, the sentinel slams them with a short-lived but powerful debuff that gives the group time to react.  More realistically, the sent has an ability to survive alpha strikes/do some initiation if you lack a tank, without getting a general increase in durability.

Why -accuracy?  Basically, because it stacks with defense, so it would be a welcome ability even for people/teams who are at or beyond softcap, giving sentinels a unique, potentially useful ability that nobody else can replicate, but not trying to make them be better blasters or anything.  Because it's a kind of mitigation that nobody has right now, it lets sentinels of all powerset combos bring something to the table.  Because it's so short-term and can only be applied once during the expected lifespan of a spawn, it's not overbalanced.

In practice, if accuracy even is debuffable, I doubt that the HC team wants to open the door to accuracy debuffing.

Plus give sents damage scalar of 1.05 or 1.1.  Remove all existing inherent abilities.

So chance to-hit is compounded by accuracy, but debuffing to-hit is vastly more effective. Baseline hit chance against even level is 75% * ability modifier, add to hit, multiply by accuracy.  So if I throw a 5% to-hit debuff, its now ((75% * 1) - 5%) * (1 + 0%) = 70%.  If It were accuracy instead of to-hit, it would be ((75% * 1) - 0%) * (1 - 5%) = 71.25%. So hard pass on that idea.

5 minutes ago, underfyre said:

So chance to-hit is compounded by accuracy, but debuffing to-hit is vastly more effective. Baseline hit chance against even level is 75% * ability modifier, add to hit, multiply by accuracy.  So if I throw a 5% to-hit debuff, its now ((75% * 1) - 5%) * (1 + 0%) = 70%.  If It were accuracy instead of to-hit, it would be ((75% * 1) - 0%) * (1 - 5%) = 71.25%. So hard pass on that idea.

However, there are two separate clamps on the to-hit formula.

-to-hit does nothing (literally) to opponents who do not have +to-hit and if you are already at softcap.  As a result, -to-hit isn't great on teams at high levels where lots of people have built themselves to softcap or beyond, or are affected by substantial team buffs (barrier, maneuvers).  None the less, high-conn, high-rank enemies have pretty substantial modified chances to hit because of their accuracy bonuses (a +4 boss has 9%+ chance to hit, a +4 AV has more than 10% chance to hit, without high-base-accuracy powers).

Since some of the criticism of sentinels is that they bring less to the table than blasters in the endgame, I wanted a debuff that increases mitigation for even those teams.

You're also incorrect about baseline chance to hit -- it's 50% for critters, not the 75% chance that it is for players.  And note that I suggested a very large accuracy debuff that would in fact provide substantial mitigation at low levels.  Yes, a -50% to-hit debuff would lower chance to hit even more at low levels, but it would do nothing or relatively little at high levels.

Does the boss has +9% to hit, or +9% accuracy? Either way hit chance being floored is going to be more effective than their accuracy being floored, even when player defense is soft capped. And it still applies when they don't have +to-hit. Otherwise sets like Dark wouldn't mean very much.

Yes, I mixed up my player base hit chance and my npc base hit chance. The math is still sound.

From what it sounds like from a reply on the other thread about this, Captain Powerhouse is under the impression that the damage from Offensive Opportunity should be enhanceable, which would bring the damage of the AT up to par if it were true. It is, however, not true, and the damage of the AT is underperforming because of it.

1 minute ago, underfyre said:

From what it sounds like from a reply on the other thread about this, Captain Powerhouse is under the impression that the damage from Offensive Opportunity should be enhanceable, which would bring the damage of the AT up to par if it were true. It is, however, not true, and the damage of the AT is underperforming because of it.

What would that even mean? Opportunity isn’t something you can put slots in...

17 hours ago, underfyre said:

Does the boss has +9% to hit, or +9% accuracy? Either way hit chance being floored is going to be more effective than their accuracy being floored, even when player defense is soft capped. And it still applies when they don't have +to-hit. Otherwise sets like Dark wouldn't mean very much.

Yes, I mixed up my player base hit chance and my npc base hit chance. The math is still sound.

A +4 boss has a 9.something% chance (with a normal accuracy power) of actually hitting someone at at softcap (or who has some combination of -to-hit and defense that adds up to 45).  It's the 5% (clamped) chance after defense and to-hit, times like 1.4 times 1.3 due to purple patch accuracy bonuses.  Additional -to-hit does not affect that.

(And, to address another point, the -to-hit on Dark is "wasted" if you are already at softcap, just like more defense is.  To hit debuffs can be thought of as essentially "defense that's applied to the attacker instead of the defender."  As a result, Dark blast or Dark melee is not a broadly a good choice for players who are already going to be firmly at softcap defense (or, especially, those who might get beyond softcap)).

Edited by aethereal
Added parenthetical.

"With offensive opportunity, the sentinel has procs equal to +20% enhanceable damage (so long the attack obeys the damage formula) for about scale 1.045. The AT also can land it's -25% resist during this window against the single foe, provided it is strong enough to survive a long test, it would bump hypothetical damage to 1.425 scale (again, even foes, if they have enough HP to make that one-shot debuff count)"

Or maybe this is implying that the damage bonus is equal to adding +20% damage to the base damage of a power. This is true based off some quick math on a single ability to check. The problem is that adding "20%", which equates to 10% when factoring up-time, to the base damage of a power that is un-enhanceable doesn't help a ton once enhancements are factored in. It isn't affected my +%damage buffs either. This is why actual performance isn't meeting expected performance and the AT falls behind so hard.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Wavicle said:

What would that even mean? Opportunity isn’t something you can put slots in...

So here's the deal.  Let's say you have a 100 scale damage power, without damage enhancements.

A scrapper does this kind of damage:

90% 112.5 base damage due to damage scalar + 10% chance of 225 damage due to crits = 118.125 expected damage

A sent does this kind of damage

Outside of opportunity:

95 base damage * 1.05 for resist debuff = 99.75 damage

Inside of offensive opportunity:

(95 base damage + 0.2 * 95 proc damage) * 1.25 for resist debuff = 142.5 damage

If you assume you're inside of offensive opportunity 50% of the time, we average 99.75 and 142.5 = 121.125 expected damage, marginally better than the scrapper.

However.  That's not actually how it works when you take into account enhancements.  Because the scrapper damage all scales with damage enhancement, while the sent damage doesn't.

With 95% damage enhancement, a scrapper does:

.9 * 112.5 * 1.95 + .1 * 112.5 * 2 * 1.95 = 241.3125 expected damage

But the proc damage of sentinels does not scale with damage enhancement, so we get:

95 * 1.95 * 1.05 = 194.5125 damage outside of opportunity

(95 * 1.95 + 0.2 * 95) * 1.25 = 255.3125 damage inside of offensive opportunity

And if you assume 50% offensive opportunity uptime, it averages to 224.9125 damage, noticeably lower than scrapper.

And note also that this assumes a pre-ATO crit rate for scrappers and also only applies to the target of sent opportunity and does not count purple-patch decreases in sentinel resist debuffs, so...  it ain't great.  EDIT to add:  Also scrappers get build-up while Sents get aim, and damage bonuses like build-up/aim scale scrapper damage but do not scale the 20% proc for sents.  And if your power breaks the damage formula in a good way (ie, does more damage than it should for its recharge), the scrapper gets that damage while the sentinel falls further behind.

Edited by aethereal
  • Like 3

This also, I think, highlights some of the limitations in the current approach of trying to push mechanics through global procs of various kinds.  Scrap and stalker crits are set up by hand-coding the crit onto every power.  Since it's just another power effect, you get kind of "for free" the fact that it's enhanceable and you can tune it in various ways (like there are some powers that have non-standard crit chances), and the damage type can be set to match the power, and if the power breaks the damage formula the crit can match, etc.

Downside is that it's a lot of work to create those power effects and it's prone to failing to code it correctly (like, Bopper has fairly convincingly demonstrated that Hemorrhage on stalkers just is incorrectly set up).

There's another world in which offensive opportunity works as Just Another Effect on sentinel attack powers and thus is enhanceable and potentially has a few additional bells and whistles.  But in our world, it's a global proc and works kind of strangely.