Earth/Earth Advice

jneely7

All of the attacks in Earth Assault are good, but you can't really take and slot all of them. Seismic Smash is the best single-target attack in the set, maybe in the entire AT so you'll take that. You'll take Stone Spears because you have to (but probably will only slot it early and pull out the slots in a respec later). Then you probably want only 2 more single-target attacks, while you have 3: 2 hammers and Hurl Boulder. I took Hurl Boulder so I'd have some range, and the heavier mallet.

You probably want to take both Tremor and Fissure. They're okay, not great, but it's nice how they can both be used in PBAoE range and both can use the Force Feedback IO, allowing you to keep FF's effect active all the time when surrounded by mobs if you chain them. So I'd take both of them.

Earth Control is also full of good powers, so again you have to decide what to skip. I would skip Quicksand and the single-target Immobilize for sure. Maybe the AoE Immob, but probably not... it's good for preventing Stunned mobs from wandering. Normally I don't much like AoE Holds, but Volcanic Gases is one of the better ones.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jneely7 said:

thanks for the info. not sure I agree with skipping Quicksand because it seems like it would make a good combo when used with Earthquake.

Well, it doesn't to -ToHit, so it's only -Def. You already get -Def from Earthquake. If you take Stone Cages, then every time you hit with that it's more -Def. I think Stalagmites also does -Def. The single-target Hold and Immob (if you take it) allow you to stack more -Def on a single target.

And... you STILL have to slot for some Accuracy in your powers (partially because any set you take for the bonuses will include some Accuracy slotting), because sometimes you will want to attack someone who isn't in a patch location but you don't want to put down a patch just for a target or two. And the Hold does -Def and already has an increased base Accuracy.

So, without Quicksand, you should have no problems hitting. Quicksand is a good solution to a problem that you won't have, which is having good chances to hit. You COULD take it, since it doesn't need many slots, and use it until the 30s when you start getting more slots and can afford to swap it out for a better power that needs more slots. So as a one-slot power used until the 30s, it's not a bad power to take. I certainly wouldn't plan on keeping it long-term, but if you pick it up early in order to save slots for attacks and controls, that could work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Coyote said:

Well, it doesn't to -ToHit, so it's only -Def. You already get -Def from Earthquake. If you take Stone Cages, then every time you hit with that it's more -Def. I think Stalagmites also does -Def. The single-target Hold and Immob (if you take it) allow you to stack more -Def on a single target.

And... you STILL have to slot for some Accuracy in your powers (partially because any set you take for the bonuses will include some Accuracy slotting), because sometimes you will want to attack someone who isn't in a patch location but you don't want to put down a patch just for a target or two. And the Hold does -Def and already has an increased base Accuracy.

So, without Quicksand, you should have no problems hitting. Quicksand is a good solution to a problem that you won't have, which is having good chances to hit. You COULD take it, since it doesn't need many slots, and use it until the 30s when you start getting more slots and can afford to swap it out for a better power that needs more slots. So as a one-slot power used until the 30s, it's not a bad power to take. I certainly wouldn't plan on keeping it long-term, but if you pick it up early in order to save slots for attacks and controls, that could work.

I actually agree with this 100% Just like with ice slick after the 30+ range I really had no use for it. Especially since I have other powers that do KD. This assessment is spot on.

• Confused 1

On 3/10/2020 at 12:26 AM, mbre2006 said:

I actually agree with this 100% Just like with ice slick after the 30+ range I really had no use for it. Especially since I have other powers that do KD. This assessment is spot on.

Madness!

Ice slick is ice control's best power!

Edited by Dark Current