Tempest's Roleplay Suggestion Compendium

These are kinda a big ask, and a lot of people might not think of them as RP Suggestions, but that's the way it falls in my head. Both of them are basically SG enhancements, as my experience so far is that SuperGroups have currently underutilized RP potential.

The ability to belong to more than one SuperGroup: Lots of examples exist where characters belong to more than one super-team at the same time.

Personal Bases: Several of my characters might belong to a SG, may visit and use the SG base, but that's not where they *live*. They have their own places. Comic Example: Batman still has the Batcave, even though he also belongs (most of the time) to the Justice League and deals with their base of operations when needed. 

• Like 3

Haven't seen a whole lot of fires lately. Would be cool to have the invasions trigger building fires in any zone. SO you have to fight off the invasion, then go put out fires.

Edited by Xoza

- Xoza Shadow (@Xoza)

Ordo Imperialis / Xoza.net

Everlasting / Excelsior

Arconu1MqVyK.png | Yuri'ko9E28NED.png | Xoza8lnHKLt.png | Nebulum3f2lHyL.png | NovaeZOOTsRk.png | Nebulae9sfLlss.png | ChellnFRzS1G.png | Rayn7KPkl2C.png | MendalarafBfruXW.png | TesliaHPucq9J.png | CybernetBlbsQUx.png | Teras Kasih1GKuZo.png | ArcstalkerXdnlqXI.png | Bull RushNG0EFBL.png

My Costume Archive | My Characters & CreationsMy Binds/Macros | My Club

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I've spoken with a lot of RPers who would absolutely use a diceroll feature.  I actually thought this already existed (beyond 1d6) because it seems so obvious in value. 

This should be relatively easy since it's just multiplication.  I've seen this on old school MUDs.

/dice 2d10

/dice 1d100

Hope this happens someday 🙂

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

I posted about having the option to create a personal supergroup base a while back; being able to join a supergroup while having your own easily accessible place would be nice. Of course, there's workarounds to that via base-building alts and so on, but it'd be great to have for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 3/31/2020 at 12:17 PM, Tipsy said:

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I've spoken with a lot of RPers who would absolutely use a diceroll feature.  I actually thought this already existed (beyond 1d6) because it seems so obvious in value. 

This should be relatively easy since it's just multiplication.  I've seen this on old school MUDs.

/dice 2d10

/dice 1d100

Great idea, I love it! Dice please!! ❤️ 

/dice 2d10

/dice 1d100

110% this. I needs my dice.

/dice 2d10

/dice 1d100

WOULD LOVE THIS.

*gets a little glassy-eyed that Its own suggestion for making the existing in-game dice roll function viable hasn't been addressed*

*wipes away the tear*

If a slash command can be implemented, how many dice formats will be included?  What sort of syntax and output would we be looking at?

I play a lot of different tabletop systems, and there is a plethora of die mechanics out there.  City of Heroes already has one of them (1d100.00).  But what will it look like when we type /2d10

2d10: 2 + 7 = 9

2d10: 9

2d10: 2, 7

2d10: 27%

And then there are dice pool systems like Shadowrun v4+

There's a lot of different ways to roll them bones.

How much time and investment are the current Homecoming Devs willing to put on this sort of feature?  How many -X modifiers are they willing to include in the die roller?

Ideally, I'd really like to see a die rolling slash command.  But I'd like to see it done with the full depth and breadth of what other dice rollers are capable of (or at -least- have a barebones version created which won't exclude that depth from being added at a later date).

If we want to just get something one-and-done, I think the stripped-down Snowball is the quickest and is already mostly play-tested.

1 hour ago, ArchVileTerror said:

*gets a little glassy-eyed that Its own suggestion for making the existing in-game dice roll function viable hasn't been addressed*

*wipes away the tear*

If a slash command can be implemented, how many dice formats will be included?  What sort of syntax and output would we be looking at?

I play a lot of different tabletop systems, and there is a plethora of die mechanics out there.  City of Heroes already has one of them (1d100.00).  But what will it look like when we type /2d10

2d10: 2 + 7 = 9

2d10: 9

2d10: 2, 7

2d10: 27%

And then there are dice pool systems like Shadowrun v4+

There's a lot of different ways to roll them bones.

How much time and investment are the current Homecoming Devs willing to put on this sort of feature?  How many -X modifiers are they willing to include in the die roller?

Ideally, I'd really like to see a die rolling slash command.  But I'd like to see it done with the full depth and breadth of what other dice rollers are capable of (or at -least- have a barebones version created which won't exclude that depth from being added at a later date).

If we want to just get something one-and-done, I think the stripped-down Snowball is the quickest and is already mostly play-tested.

Simple is good.  /diceroll XdX should be it, and multiplication simply based on the X values.  RPers can build around that.

There's no dice system inherent to CoH, of course, and shoehorning other game systems dice into CoH seems like adding more work to the request for what would be exceptionally unique needs.  (For example, percentages can be accomplished of course with 1d100.)

There is a die mechanic, though; it's the one baked in to everything that isn't Autohit in combat.  The game rolls a 1d100.00 and returns the result in your combat log.

The Snowball "Just For Fun" Power does this too, showing the same die results to user and target, which makes it a great way to do in-game skill checks.  HOWEVER, the animation and wind-up time are big detractors.  

So, as I mentioned on the previous page of this thread, if a Dev could copy Snowball and strip out the animation, we would have a working 1d100.00 die ready to go without having to code anything new in to the chat systems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later

Yay dice rolls!   We will need d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20.  You nerds know why these specific ones.   Dont need animations for them like the d6 just a text output something like:  /roll4d4 and get "ZeroXephon rolls 4d4 and gets the following; 2, 3, 1, 4 = 10."

Some version of an AE terminal for SG bases would be nice. (Maybe link the editor terminal/contact/mission entrance nodes similar to how teleporters in bases work).

I play with a few groups who use AE arcs to tell parts of their stories, and the ability to initiate AE missions from within a base would eliminate the awkward OOC trip to AE in the middle of a scene(side benefit: it might also thin out the herd of fire farmers crowding several AE locations at any given time).

Custom costumes for base NPCs.

Lastly,  expanding on the "more emotes" requests... Is it possible to add a few more /e drink options? Same animation, different containers. Perhaps a bottle, or a goblet, etc. There are a number of in-game assets that would work. This is a little thing, but would see a lot of use. 

Edited by Malithrax
  • Like 2

On 3/9/2020 at 12:52 PM, Krimson said:

I have no idea how possible it is, but yesterday in Help chat someone had suggested a PvP Bank Robbery/Safeguard mission. 

I've done that although I dont think it was yesterday. Also I'd like pvp base invasions but we'd need to lose free base building or everyones base would be a long hallway full of sapper turrets.

• 1 month later

My thoughts on the 1k bio limit:

I was initially a big fan of having longer bios. Then I discovered something by speaking with other players. A lot of folks simply don't want to read bios-- even players who otherwise take the time to stage costume contests. If a player does read bios, they often want something they can read in just a few seconds. (What do you mean, people don't read 15k in a just a few seconds?! What are they calling a few seconds. Like 2? 3 seconds? Yes, Honey, I know your dad is dyslexic. He's still a lazy bastard for not reading every little line of dialogue. Especially when I'm giving him all the time in the world to read it!)

The 1k bio limit is just about ideal for crafting a biography that poses questions but doesn't answer them. Rather than detail the secret government experiment that gave Captain X their powers, a line of dialogue or two where "Captain X refuses talk about Project Empower" is a *lot* more attention-getting.

I've seen bios like that used in combination with URLs for complete stories or long-form bios.

As for the editor's general bugginess, I'd recommend composing a bio in a text editor like Notepad. HOWEVER, the CoH bio editor chokes even on copy/paste, mishandles new lines, and frequently behaves in a ridiculously inconsistent way that really boggles the imagination. Even if the developers don't want to fix the existing code, there are many existing public domain text-editing components ranging from the very light-weight to complete GUIs. Graceful text editing is NOT an easy problem, but it *is* a problem that many talented people have been working on for many, many years resulting in many nice solutions.

Edited by mechahamham

36 minutes ago, mechahamham said:

If a player does read bios, they often want something they can read in just a few seconds. 

Right now, I'm experimenting putting key points up above the paragraphs. It's the TLDR to give a brief concise personality and traits without needing to read the background story.

6 minutes ago, Oginth said:

Right now, I'm experimenting putting key points up above the paragraphs. It's the TLDR to give a brief concise personality and traits without needing to read the background story.

I'm interested in how that looks. Care to share? If you don't want to share on the forums, my in-game email is @hammie

On 3/9/2020 at 11:32 AM, Kaelit said:

EDIT: Not sure if this fits into the roleplaying category, but I'd love to see different flight poses being implemented into Flight's customization menu at the tailor.

This is a great idea.  I think this is possible to do with macros, but I'm sure it would be a lot easier if there was just a simple menu to select from.  Please keep the cost for changing this cheap!

On 3/9/2020 at 3:08 PM, Andreah said:

Bring up a clipboard animation while this window is being edited. 🙂

This is also cool.  Along with "fly pose", could we get a Tailor selection to use either the "cellphone" or "text" emote when calling a contact?  Would be easier than setting up macros for each character and would also save me some button space on the screen for those macros.

• 3 weeks later
On 6/23/2020 at 9:19 AM, ImpousVileTerror said:

For a moment I thought you were asking for the ;cellphone and ;text emotes to be added as -flypose- emotes.

Although, I'm not against that.  The comedic value is high.

Totally on board with those being flypose emotes, AS LONG AS, you take 99% damage on flying into any building or hillside because you were too busy texting to look where you were going.  😄

Hands free cellphones integrated into your tech helmets people!

23 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

If possible, it has been suggested by others that having a means to open another player-character's Info just from having their name in Chat would be very helpful.

Well, after @ImpousVileTerror and I pondered this, @Tad Cooper jumped in and pointed out it already is possible.

So, I've made my macro:

/macro i "info_tab 0"

So when I target someone, I can hit that.  Can also bind it:  /bind CTRL+i "info_tab 0"  (assuming you want it to be control+i, I already have my "i" key bound...)

Edited by r0y
  • Like 1