How long for an account to be deleted?

ninja surprise

Asking for a friend - they signed up last year and played before going to college for 6 months (July - Dec). Just trying to get back in now and neither the game nor the forums accept their username/password.

Tried doing a "forgotten password" on the forums and it says "We could not find a member account with that email address. Please try again with other information."

I've seen that the inactive account policy isn't being enforced, what could have happened to her account?

• Game Master

The inactive account policy only would affect character names, not accounts.  We don't purge users who don't play the game for long stretches.

Occam's Razor: is it the same email address as what they used to sign up?  I maintain several addresses myself, I've used a wrong address a time or two when trying to get access to an old account in the past.  If they keep account emails, searching for Homecoming in the email account will reveal if it was used to sign up for a game account or not.

• Like 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

I deal with customers who have to login to an online portal and a frequent problem is people using variations of their emails. For instance Dr. Aeon signs up using [email protected] and then comes back and tries to login with [email protected]. As mail servers generally ignore periods in user names and extra wikkety wack like engeineering and med in front of domain suffixes the server will still dump all the email where it needs to go, but the emails as account names are unique and distinctive and you need to match them.

(By the way Dr. Aeon, your peer review of Dr. Keyes's latest paper is 13 days overdue. My new editorial assistants are Rikti traditionalists and they CAN deliver late notices into your locked office.)

Edited by Erydanus
  • Haha 1

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

• 2 years later
3 hours ago, Arawanach said:

Inactivity doesn't seem to make characters names become available. My old account I no longer have access to still is keeping a hold on the names of my old characters.

That would be correct, they haven't actively purged unused charcter's names as of yet.

Edited by CaptainLupis

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"