Focused Feedback: New IO Sets (Release Candidates)

• City Council

This is a Focused Feedback Thread

• Please note that Focused Feedback threads are heavily moderated to ensure they remain on topic.
    • Any off-topic posts in these threads will be removed without warning.
    • The thread will be locked when no more feedback is required, but you are more than welcome to continue the discussion in a new thread.
  • Changes from the previous build will be listed in green.
  • Any changes or fixes that are only relevant to the beta builds (as in, not changes relevant to the live version of the game) will be listed in blue.

New IO Sets

• Synapses_Shock.png.e86b11582a32e4f1102344b5ff9db565.png Synapse's Shock (Endurance Modification, Rare, 21-50)
    • The first of two new Endurance Modification sets with a damage focus, designed to be useful in endurance-draining attack powers.
    • Enhancements: 
      • Endurance Modification
      • Damage / Recharge
      • Endurance Modification / Recharge
      • Damage / Recharge / Accuracy
      • Damage / Accuracy / Endurance Reduction
      • UNIQUE: Endurance Modification / 15% Increased Run Speed
    • Set Bonuses: 
      • 2: 7.5% Movement Speed
      • 3: 10% Slow Resistance
      • 4: 8% Regeneration
      • 5: 6.25% Recharge
      • 6: 4.5% Energy / Negative Resistance + 7.5% Mez Resistance
  • Power_Transfer.png.388c155a5c6018f984e46a69823a6268.png Power Transfer (Endurance Modification, Rare, 21-50)
    • The second damage-focused Endurance Modification set.
    • Enhancements: 
      • Endurance Modification
      • Damage / Recharge
      • Endurance Modification / Damage
      • Damage / Accuracy / Endurance Reduction
      • Damage / Recharge / Accuracy / Endurance Reduction
      • Chance to Heal Self (3 PPM)
    • Set Bonuses: 
      • 2: 6% Regeneration
      • 3: 1.35% Max Endurance
      • 4: 1.875% Max Health
      • 5: 9% Accuracy
      • 6: 7.5% Recharge
  • premature.png.d6f124ba240dce54359047217fe69987.png Preemptive Optimization (Endurance Modification, Uncommon, 21-50)
    • An Endurance Modification set with a focus on ally buff abilities that don't deal damage.
    • Enhancements: 
      • Accuracy / Recharge
      • Endurance Modification / Endurance Reduction
      • Endurance Modification / Recharge
      • Endurance Modification / Accuracy / Endurance Reduction
      • Endurance Modification / Accuracy / Recharge
      • Endurance Modification / Endurance Reduction / Recharge
    • Set Bonuses: 
      • 2: 1.8% Max Endurance
      • 3: 1.5% Max Health
      • 4: 3% Toxic / Psionic Resistance + 5% Mez Resistance
      • 5: 3.75% Recharge
      • 6: 3.75% Ranged Defense + 1.875 Energy / Negative Defense
  • Bombardment.png.29edcb4d5fb11068d0d15d24dab135b1.png Bombardment (Targeted AoE, Rare, 30-50)
    • Enhancements: 
      • Damage
      • Accuracy / Recharge / Endurance
      • Damage / Recharge
      • Accuracy / Damage / Recharge
      • Accuracy / Damage / Recharge / Endurance Reduction
      • Chance for Fire Damage (3.5 PPM)
    • Set Bonuses: 
      • 2: 5% Increased Range
      • 3: 2.25% Smashing / Lethal Resistance + 3.75% Mez Resistance
      • 4: 7% Accuracy
      • 5: 5% Recharge
      • 6: 4.5% Energy / Negative Resistance + 7.5% Mez Resistance
  • Artillery.png.db98d3c3515218607189e7c80d0cf32b.png Artillery (Targeted AoE, Uncommon, 30-50)
    • Targeted AOE set with a Range component and two sources of Ranged Defense.
    • New icon added.
    • Enhancements: 
      • Accuracy / Damage
      • Damage / Endurance
      • Damage / Recharge
      • Accuracy / Damage / Recharge
      • Accuracy / Recharge / Range
      • Endurance / Recharge / Range
    • Set Bonuses: 
      • 2: 8% Regeneration
      • 3: 1.88% Energy / Negative Defence + 0.94% Ranged Defence
      • 4: 2% Damage Buff
      • 5: 9% Accuracy
      • 6: 3.13% Ranged Defence + 1.565% Energy / Negative Defence

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

UNIQUE: Chance to Heal Self (3 PPM)

another heal/regen boost proc in health & stamina?

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Re the Power Transfer Unique:

It's an IO that's equivalent to 60% Regen.  At 3 PPM I think this IO is over-powered in passive powers.  And at 1 proc/cast I think it is under-powered in AoEs.  I just don't like this compromise.

Maybe 1.5 PPM and 7.5% Health?

Edited by csr

31 minutes ago, csr said:

It's an IO that's equivalent to 60% Regen.  At 3 PPM I think this IO is over-powered in passive powers.  And at 1 proc/cast I think it is under-powered in AoEs.  I just don't like this compromise.

How does that compare with Panacea? I can't remember off the top of my head, but I thought Panacea is 3PPM with a 7.5% HP heal.

Edited by Bopper

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

7 minutes ago, Bopper said:

How does that compare with Panacea? I can't remember off the top of my head, but I thought Panacea is 3PPM with a 7.5% HP heal.

It is.  It's also a PvP set.  Though I was just picking numbers to make the ST effect of the new proc weaker (45% Regen equiv instead of 60%) and the AoE stronger (50% stronger if you get at least one proc on cast, though the chance to proc on each target would be half as much).  I'm afraid the truth is that IOs need some tweaking, with some clearly too strong - like the Panacea.  Do you have a single character that doesn't have (or won't have) the Panacea slotted?

Just now, csr said:

Do you have a single character that doesn't have (or won't have) the Panacea slotted

It's a must have. For the endurance alone

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

32 minutes ago, csr said:

I agree, particularly about the aoe behaviour. Procs already have to contend with the area factor in aoes which is presumably supposed to even out their performance relative to single target powers. Clamping them to a single fire makes slotting them in an aoe worse than slotting in a single target power and will be a gotcha for the unwary player.

The current behaviour of the sandman proc may be overpowered in long recharge aoes but isn't that an overall proc formula problem rather than something specific to these chance for heal procs? Either way clamping to a single fire doesn't seem like the right solution.

1 minute ago, Bopper said:

It's a must have. For the endurance alone

That's how I treat it.  Initially... I had some builds where I thought I'd make do with a cheaper alternative, but after you realize how easy it is to make 12-15M INF that thought goes out the window and every toon ends up with a Panacea even if they have only 1 slot in Health.

8 minutes ago, csr said:

That's how I treat it.  Initially... I had some builds where I thought I'd make do with a cheaper alternative, but after you realize how easy it is to make 12-15M INF that thought goes out the window and every toon ends up with a Panacea even if they have only 1 slot in Health.

FWIW, I checked in game and the Panacea does 8.8% HP while the Power Transfer is 5% HP. Both use Base HP for their calculations (so having extra HP does not increase the HP returned).

Just now, Bopper said:

FWIW, I checked in game and the Panacea does 8.8% HP while the Power Transfer is 5% HP. Both use Base HP for their calculations (so having extra HP does not increase the HP returned).

Well, that does lower the Regen equivalent of the PT proc.  No higher than 50% (assuming the +20% HP for Accolades) Regen equivalent then.  Still, that's twice a Regenerative Tissue special.  Or equal to 4 or 5 Regen set bonuses.

Power Transfer  UNIQUE: Chance to Heal Self  is not showing up correctly in my combat log. I do get a line saying I have been healed for x amount which I believe is the proc working.But normally it tells what healed you. A c/p from ingame:

Wyx hits you with their Panacea: Chance for +Hit Points/Endurance granting you 7.77 points of endurance.
You hit Wyx with your Panacea: Chance for +Hit Points/Endurance granting them 7.77 points of endurance.
You heal Wyx 74.96 points of damage.

The last line is the proc if I am not mistaken.

Edited by SuperPlyx
spelling error

• Developer
1 hour ago, EmperorSteele said:

...so it's a flat number, then? Does that make it overpowered at level 18, or underwhelming at level 50?

The target meaning the critter you hit with the power, which is not necessarily yourself. In the previous patch it was healing you more if you used it against lower level critters, and less if used against higher level critters.

The change does not mean that it will only attempt to hit a single targer in the AOE; it still tries to hit all targets, but it will no longer stack heals if it hits more than one. This means that in an AOE, it's likely to go off 100% of the time for 5% health.

This is not likely to change; it is a single IO, letting it heal the player for 50% health in one hit is way out of line.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24186.0;attach=18020

This is not okay.

Both Call of the Sandman and Power Transfer will be made non-unique in the next build; Entropic Chaos is already not unique.

Edited by The Curator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Both Call of the Sandman and Power Transfer will be made non-unique in the next build; Entropic Chaos is already not unique.

Ooh, so multiples across multiple powers.  Interesting.  Like the +end proc in Stamina and Physical Perfection.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

2 hours ago, The Curator said:

Call of the Sandman isn't Unique on Live either.

Edited by csr

This is not likely to change; it is a single IO, letting it heal the player for 50% health in one hit is way out of line.

But having a non-Unique IO that gives the equivalent of 50% Regen or so isn't?

[Edit:]  Entropic takes up a valuable slot in a single target attack, Call of the Sandman requires that you take a bad power (except for Mesmerize and Static Field).  By comparison, everybody gets Stamina.

Edited by csr

The target meaning the critter you hit with the power, which is not necessarily yourself. In the previous patch it was healing you more if you used it against lower level critters, and less if used against higher level critters.

The change does not mean that it will only attempt to hit a single targer in the AOE; it still tries to hit all targets, but it will no longer stack heals if it hits more than one. This means that in an AOE, it's likely to go off 100% of the time for 5% health.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24186.0;attach=18020

This is not okay.

Hey, I recognize that image! To be fair, yeah that was a bit much for it being slotted in an Auto-Hit power. It is kind of funny though when you think about it, Power Transfer started off non-unique.

3 hours ago, The Curator said:

Oooh, so it was an inverse scaling, not at all what I would have expected! Gotchya!

2 hours ago, csr said:

But having a non-Unique IO that gives the equivalent of 50% Regen or so isn't?

A 50% regen bonus can't completely change the functionality of a power like the CotS proc can. Putting it into a power like Salt Crystals from Earth Mastery turns that power into a sort of off-brand Dark Regeneration, for example.

8 hours ago, Vanden said:

A 50% regen bonus can't completely change the functionality of a power like the CotS proc can. Putting it into a power like Salt Crystals from Earth Mastery turns that power into a sort of off-brand Dark Regeneration, for example.

So turning, say, Superior Conditioning (to pick a power from another APP) into giving the equivalent Regen of base Health isn't changing its functionality?  The whole idea of procs is to change the power's functionality to a degree.  The question is to what degree is that acceptable.  In that particular case, which is more valuable, the base +5% END of SC, or the roughly 50% Regen equivalent of the proc you've put in it?  In the case of AoE Sleeps the transformation is due as much to the AoE Sleep itself being lousy as it is to the CotS IO being OP in long recharge AoEs.

My concern here is that this non-Unique IO at 3 PPM will be roughly twice as good as Regenerative Tissue's Unique IO.  That the CotS is considered OP in AoEs is a separate issue.  They apparently buffed the CotS because of the 1 proc/cast limit, then buffed this to match the CotS without seeming to give consideration to the unfortunate fact that the CotS can only go in what are generally bad powers, while this can go in a power that everyone gets free of charge as well as a number of powers that people take regularly because +END and +Rec are so valuable (while Sleep is not).  Entropic Chaos' proc also goes in high value powers, but those are powers where the extra slot has higher opportunity costs.

Edited by csr

On live, when Electric powersets for Brutes were new, and Electric didn't have any self-heal, I tried sticking Call of the Sandman chance for self-heal in every single melee attack that would take it. It was my way of trying to avoid taking Aid Self and going off-concept.

It didn't work well enough to be helpful. Once in a great while one of the 5 or so procs would fire once. Pretty much anything done to it would be an improvement. 

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

• Jimmy changed the title to Focused Feedback: New IO Sets (RC 1)

Out of curiosity, the in game description for Power Transfer's proc and Call of the Sandman's proc shows that it has a chance to heal 5% and 15% of max life (I assume life means hit points). It appears both procs only heal back 5% (and 15%) of the base health. Should the description be updated to not reflect that it's max life/health, but rather just health in general (which I assume implies base health). Or is it supposed to be max health and the heal is incorrectly being applied?

The patch notes in the other IO thread list Call of the Sandman's heal proc as now being unique.  This is verifiable in game in the /AH.

The patch notes above list the Power Transfer Chance of Self Heal as being Unique, too.  But, in game, it lacks the Unique tag.  Is it supposed to be unique or not?  I can't tell if the notes are wrong or the IO is.