Focused Feedback: Experimentation (Build 5)

Just spitballing, but maybe a good deal with at least T1 power pool attacks would be if they broke the damage formula in a bad way by like 50% (so they had half as much damage as they were "supposed to" from their (long) recharges), but good-to-excellent DPA?

My thought is that then if you've got a spare power in your build, you can take a power pool attack and, like...  actually use it some of the time.  But because they don't contribute very much to an attack chain, they don't become mandatory you-gotta-have-em powers.

This is a random idea that I haven't put a ton of thought into, but maybe something like that could give them a niche.

12 hours ago, Replacement said:

I feel like Donnie in the background, saying "I am the Walrus?" over and over again.

The problem isn't in having Toxic Dart good enough to replace a t1/2 power (and thus better than some) -- the problem is it being the only pool attack that performs that well, which leads to things like people taking the pool just for an optimized build, origin and theme be damned.

I'm not saying there's a right or wrong way to go about fixing the disparity it's either a) you make it awesome now and super-serious-pinky-promise to fix the other pools soon, as in like a half a year or b) you tweak it to be as suck as the rest of the pool attacks for now and let them all be meh until you find the time to do a full pass as a batch.

Having one power pool attack not be a non-choice isn't a problem though. You don't design a new car with poor performance just because your other cars suck. It's not like Jump Kick or Flurry have feelings that need to be protected if no one picks/slots them. I doubt many are currently.

The others should be brought up, but that's not a reason to hamstring this out of the gate. Devs, please restore the damage. If it can replace a few T2's, that honestly seems like it should be a design goal, given the opportunity cost. Thanks.   

• Like 3

6 hours ago, siolfir said:

Okay, if you're going to min/max this, which pool are you dropping to take Experimentation because Toxic Dart is nearly as good as a t2 attack?

1 hour ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

Having one power pool attack not be a non-choice isn't a problem though. You don't design a new car with poor performance just because your other cars suck. It's not like Jump Kick or Flurry have feelings that need to be protected if no one picks/slots them. I doubt many are currently.

The others should be brought up, but that's not a reason to hamstring this out of the gate. Devs, please restore the damage. If it can replace a few T2's, that honestly seems like it should be a design goal, given the opportunity cost. Thanks.   

13 hours ago, Replacement said:

I'm not saying there's a right or wrong way to go about fixing the disparity it's either a) you make it awesome now and super-serious-pinky-promise to fix the other pools soon, as in like a half a year or b) you tweak it to be as suck as the rest of the pool attacks for now and let them all be meh until you find the time to do a full pass as a batch.

I get it, you both prefer method A. I'm just acknowledging method B has merit. Even if that merit is "we don't feel like making spreadsheets to calculate the impact right now because we're busy."

I played around a little with Speed of Sound last night. Cosmetically, I think I would prefer it over Super Speed on my speedster types if there wasn't that pause in the running animation after you jaunt (really bummed about that) and if there was some kind of streak of costume colors between the old location and the new, suggesting more of a faster-than-you-can-see movement than what seems to be a garden variety teleport.

Hope to play around with the other powers tonight.

Edited by Attache
  • Like 1

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Big League || Blue Weasel || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Eye || French Roast || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Iron Agent || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter || Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Cheetah || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Technoid || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

1 hour ago, Attache said:

I played around a little with Speed of Sound last night. Cosmetically, I think I would prefer it over Super Speed on my speedster types if there wasn't that pause in the running animation after you jaunt (really bummed about that) and if there was some kind of streak of costume colors between the old location and the new, suggesting more of a faster-than-you-can-see movement than what seems to be a garden variety teleport.

Hope to play around with the other powers tonight.

Given the implied fiction, I think that would actually be really cool.  Seconded, if possible without too much work.

• Like 1

• Jimmy locked and unpinned this topic