Focused Feedback: Electrical Affinity - Powers (Build 5) (Now on Masterminds, Corruptors and Controllers!)

Circuits

We have a power that gives just a heal and another that gives just an absorb.  The use cases of these are pretty similar.

Energizing Circuit - I like that the +Recharge is actually really really short - very thematic.  I was expecting this to be more like a speed boost, probably because some patch notes mentioned the idea, but the play methodology is very different, here.

Empowering Circuit - Ah, this is the real party buff.

I really like that we have 4 Circuit powers, so that it stays very clearly part of the set's identity instead of "just a few gimmick powers."  But I am feeling like I wouldn't mind seeing Insulating and Rejuvenating combined into a +absorb and +hot/regen power, which could make way for an offensive Circuit power (unlikely but what I'd love to see: still target and chain allies, but each ally gains a Duration version of Lightning Field - health and stamina DoT).

Edited by Replacement

Noticed there's nothing listed under Absorb w hen heals are slotted or when Cardiac with +absorb is slotted on my bio armor. Is there an issue with Heal/Absorb type slotting/granting powers?

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

1 hour ago, Rejolt said:

Noticed there's nothing listed under Absorb w hen heals are slotted or when Cardiac with +absorb is slotted on my bio armor. Is there an issue with Heal/Absorb type slotting/granting powers?

The wording isn't there in game, in the Enhancement Management screen at least,  but I can verify that the Cardiac/Resilient +Absorb definitely works. My Particle Shielding on my Rad tank does 1100 by default, but 1243 I think it is with T4 resilient radial

I'd like to echo some of the comments regarding the powers seeming to have too many buffs (or more appropriately, that a couple of the buff powers should be consolidated that make sense/theme) and needs at least 1 chaining offensive power. Hopefully something with actual impact that uses the chaining. Perhaps a Dynamo effect that turns the pet into some sort of lightning rod, though I'm not sure how creative/effort intensive it would be instead of simply making an offensive chain power.

Working on my low level MM testing and notice a couple of things...

- Galvanic Sentinel did not follow me through an elevator.  Didn't despawn and was waiting on me when I went back.  WAI or bug?

- Could you move Galvanic Sentinel to the bottom of the pet window so it doesn't re-arrange things when it despawns?

galvanic.png

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

2 hours ago, Vanden said:

Probably not without renaming it something like Zgalvanic Sentinel.

2 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Working on my low level MM testing and notice a couple of things...

- Galvanic Sentinel did not follow me through an elevator.  Didn't despawn and was waiting on me when I went back.  WAI or bug?

- Could you move Galvanic Sentinel to the bottom of the pet window so it doesn't re-arrange things when it despawns?

galvanic.png

It depends upon where you put the window whether it is better to have the time limited pets on the top or bottom (I put the window at the bottom of my screen so it would be better for me if they were listed first).  It would be nice if the code would list permanent pets either before or after time limited ones though.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 6:38 PM, Jimmy said:

ShockTherapy_Defibrillate.png.4240c0c29aaf0058ef648d0c6d0a5ed4.png T7: Defibrillate (Melee (Targeted AoE), Ally Rez, Foe Sleep, -End, -Recovery)

• Strike a target with a highly-charged jolt of electricity, reviving all nearby allies and draining all nearby foes. Any enemies affected will be drained of some endurance, have their recovery reduced and be put to sleep for a short time.

Sleep seems completely out of place for the concept of this power. Wouldn’t either Stun or Disorient be a better choice?

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

1 hour ago, Myrmidon said:

Sleep seems completely out of place for the concept of this power. Wouldn’t either Stun or Disorient be a better choice?

I imagine the intent is for Defibrillate to work mostly as a panic-revive, when a lot of the team is down to give them a chance to recuperate and fight back while the enemy is slept - that being said, I imagine Energy Manipulator should allow it to proc a stun fairly reliably alongside it.

I think it's an overall solid set. I'd note:

• Shock seems like a "power tax" that non-Defenders are forced to take. Swapping it with Rejuvenating Circuit seems reasonable. It might also be worthwhile to explore making it a 'chain' power to fit thematically with the rest of the set.
  • Empowering Circuit might work better with a stacking mechanic where the individual buff is smaller, but the buffs can stack to some larger total to permit better scaling across the levels.
  • Energizing Circuit's massive, short duration recharge buff is likely to run afoul of recharge caps on many builds. +50% for 12 sec would be equivalently powerful, but more consistent and less likely to run into this issue.

Galvanic Sentinel is the big issue in my mind.

The problem I have is that this power only exists to provide a target for the other powers while the player is solo. As an independent power, it's essentially worthless. Indeed, it's actively counterproductive in a group setting (since it consumes bounces that would be better placed on players). It seems like the power should either be useful in its own right or there should be some other mechanic to ensure solo pet-less players can use the chain effects.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hjarki said:

The problem I have is that this power only exists to provide a target for the other powers while the player is solo. As an independent power, it's essentially worthless. Indeed, it's actively counterproductive in a group setting (since it consumes bounces that would be better placed on players). It seems like the power should either be useful in its own right or there should be some other mechanic to ensure solo pet-less players can use the chain effects.

I'm pretty sure that chains targeted at team members will prioritise team members - inverse is true for said powers targeted at pets, which will prioritise pets.

30 minutes ago, Hjarki said:

In our first build, we had Discharge - aoe debuff. And the whole set was just too damn clicky. The sentinel was put in to cast Discharge for you. In that first build with big G, powers couldn't chain back to the caster (to go along with all the other Support pools that can't self-buff).

So the pet doesn't just exist to provide you bounce-back. It should be debuffing spawns and taking some shots.

Also: yes, all the Circuit powers have logic to prioritize the entity type they were cast on: if cast on players, will only bounce to pets when it runs out of players. If cast on pets, will only bounce to players if it runs out of players.

• Like 1

• City Council
30 minutes ago, Blackfeather said:

I'm pretty sure that chains targeted at team members will prioritise team members - inverse is true for said powers targeted at pets, which will prioritise pets.

That's correct. So if you're in a team setting and you bounce if off your sentinel instead of targeting a player, it will go to pets first and eat up bounces. If you're on a team you should really be targeting a player first anyway due to the first 2 jumps getting increased values.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hjarki said:

The problem I have is that this power only exists to provide a target for the other powers while the player is solo.

I don't know if it will have any real use on teams, but for a soloing character, having 1500+ (with Absorb) hit points with an AoE debuff to draw attention away from the user can't be a bad thing. And as noted, it makes the set less clicky if it casts 10+ uses of the debuff for the animation time of one summons. I'm quite happy to have it in over the original AoE debuff.

It's also different from other buff/debuff sets, to get a pet so early, while an AoE debuff is very ordinary, so on the concept of making sets different from other sets, it's also a good addition.

• Like 4

If the set stays as-is, I'm reasonably sure I'm going to end up trying to build a Fighting Pool solo Corruptor once this goes live.  I think this set will be a really interesting benchmark for if a solo-capable Support set feels good or like just too much. 

(yes, I understand some other sets already do this, but they tend to have things like long-casting debuff toggles and such that make pre-IO play very difficult)

2 hours ago, Replacement said:

If the set stays as-is, I'm reasonably sure I'm going to end up trying to build a Fighting Pool solo Corruptor once this goes live.  I think this set will be a really interesting benchmark for if a solo-capable Support set feels good or like just too much. 

(yes, I understand some other sets already do this, but they tend to have things like long-casting debuff toggles and such that make pre-IO play very difficult)

If this were a melee support set, I'd say it'd be vital to have the powers start with you and jump off from there.

I still think a combined approach (if you don't have a valid target selected, the chain starts with you) is a better way to go about the circuits than having to require the pet to use them.

11 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

Electric Control has the best sleep power in the entire game, so it isn't out of place.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

6 hours ago, Hjarki said:

It does a lot and isn't worthless:  The Sentinel drains endurance, debuffs enemy damage, debuffs enemy regeneration, tanks damage, and debuffs enemy recovery. Add the stun proc and mobs get disoriented too from time to time.

Bounces never drop below 50% and the chaining AI favors players when cast on players first.

• Like 1

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

On 3/15/2020 at 11:11 AM, Caulderone said:

That could be problematic, as not all Controllers get pets.

Also I think people would object to waiting until level 32!

Just got back from a cruise, so looking forward to testing this while stuck at home on quarantine lol.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

Just got back from a cruise

That is a lot more adventurous of an activity these days.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

1 hour ago, DMW45 said:

If this were a melee support set, I'd say it'd be vital to have the powers start with you and jump off from there.

I still think a combined approach (if you don't have a valid target selected, the chain starts with you) is a better way to go about the circuits than having to require the pet to use them.

I don't know, I think it's super clever.  The fear with letting, say, a force field defender bubble themselves has always been that they're too strong on self.  This bounceback is a mechanism to enforce what they already wanted (prioritizing targets for big buffs while still being friendly to the rest of your team) and guarantees you can never give yourself the best version of a buff.  

All wrapped up in a really tidy package.  I get not liking pets, but I think it works for this set and brings so many different aspects together.