Island Rum downloaded a new version of itself and now it just hangs

Deadly Fredly

Pretty much what it says on the tin. I quit out of the game, and the next time I started up Island Rum, it said it was downloading a new version of itself. It did that and then restarted itself. The restarted Island Rum renders no windows, it just runs/hangs and does near as I can tell nothing at all. I downloaded the latest version and replaced it, and rebooted my machine. Newly downloaded Island Rum behaves identically: hang, unresponsive, nothing happening.

I'm on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), macOS Catalina.

Hey - I'm back in by doing the following. Restore an Island Rum from Time Machine. Make a copy of it - you may need it! Delete the patched non working version and take a copy of your restored one and rename it as just Island Rum. When it opens and starts to patch, hit red X and wait 30 seconds or so (the time it takes to normally re-download). It then lets you back to the menu when you can launch in. Yes we're snookered when a patch is released server side but at least we're back in for now! Hth.

The patch has been reversed.  Apparently we've gotten to a point where an app made to work in Catalina 10.15 (properly signed so it doesn't nag on install) without compromises is not going to work in any previous OS.  This is going to require a drastic forking of the Island Rum project and might take a few weeks to get right (except possibly Catalina, which already has a working build).  

The difficulty is going to be in testing it, because I don't exactly have a lab with 4 different Macs running 4 different OS's - which means I'm going to have to guess a lot.  So at the very least, there may be up to 3 builds, just so if one of them faults, one or the others might still work properly.

We'll see where this goes in the coming weeks.

Edited by Manga
  • Thanks 1

Hey

I don't have any backups of this and so Island Rum still will not boot up.  Do I have to reinstall the entire thing?

Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind - sorted it 🙂

Edited by Xemnas

54 minutes ago, Manga said:

The patch has been reversed.  Apparently we've gotten to a point where an app made to work in Catalina 10.15 (properly signed so it doesn't nag on install) without compromises is not going to work in any previous OS.  This is going to require a drastic forking of the Island Rum project and might take a few weeks to get right (except possibly Catalina, which already has a working build).  

I'm on Catalina, and had the hanging client problem, fwiw. Dropping back to the prior version via Time Machine did get me back up and running. 

I'm still running on 10.13.6 High Sierra (2011 iMac) and for months now I've needed to tell Island Rum to go stuff itself after launch so as to cancel the download it does to update itself upon launch.  Once that process is halted, I simply go to the pulldown menu in the top left and tell it to Re-Scan my installation.  Once the Re-Scan is completed, I can play.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

8 hours ago, Manga said:

The "new version" was rolled back yesterday.  If it won't auto-update back to the previous one you can download it from https://islandrum.eekstudio.com/

On that site is also a separate Catalina version that has a Developer ID signature.

Request that a CM copy/pasta this information into a pinned thread where EVERYONE can find it easily.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

• GM Tock pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later

Tried both these sites in Catalina and they both "hang" as it were when trying to launch the game. Going to try redownloading the game files next.

https://telstar.eekstudio.com/

https://islandrum.eekstudio.com/

Edit: No change, it still does the thing where you click to launch the game and nothing happens.

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 11:38 AM, Manga said:

The "new version" was rolled back yesterday.  If it won't auto-update back to the previous one you can download it from https://islandrum.eekstudio.com/

On that site is also a separate Catalina version that has a Developer ID signature.

I noticed there's a Windows version of IR. Is that what it looks like (vs Tequila) or something special for say BootCamp (which...wouldn't make sense to me)?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

3 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

I noticed there's a Windows version of IR. Is that what it looks like (vs Tequila) or something special for say BootCamp (which...wouldn't make sense to me)?

It works for all Windows.

21 hours ago, Manga said:

It works for all Windows.

I wish I'd taken a SS so I could point out the file, but for those installing the Win version, I had a false flag for a file during the initial IR install on my Win7 system. Keep an eye out on those as I'm sure that @Manga isn't in the habit of sharing malicious files.

I ran Island Rum and it did download a new version. I launched the game and played a bit. I closed the game and noticed that Island Rum had white mark over it. When trying to launch it, it says I have to have OS X 10.11 or later. I have OS X 10.10.5. Is this intentional?

I can run the game when I just launch COH application, though.

Edit: Can't connect to the game anymore 😕 Wrong client version.

Edited by olio

2 hours ago, GM Tahquitz said:

The patcher needs to run again to update the files.  Let it finish and try launching again.

Hey, thanks for the answer.

Unfortunately my issue is that I can't launch the patcher anymore because of the recent update to it, which made it uncompatible with my OS X.