New to Blastering. Good pairing for a survivable toon

Doc Ranger

So I have never been a blaster guy. Back in the day those were the guys that ran in, tried to blow everything up, fail to do so, and die from the return attacks.

I'm a controller guy. I like safety, control and toughness. 

Well lately I've played a few mishes with some very well built blasters who manage to blow nearly everything up and survive the return fire pretty damn well. I am intrigued...

With set bonuses and incarnates blasters have become a lot tougher and I think I'm ready to give it a go.

Thinking of trying Dark/, Ice/ or Water/. What are some good secondary sets for these? I don't mind being in the middle of the action since that's how I play my controllers.

Thanks for any advice!

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

Ice/Fire is pretty great.

Dark has lovely -tohit that'll help keep a player upright.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Dark Blast will give you a lot of decent range, and the further you can push that range the better you cones will work out. Energy compliments that fact somewhat nicely with Boost Range and Power Boost (the secondary effects like -ToHit in Dark will get amplified a bit here). Personally I didn't find this combination very enticing once things went from paper to action. I even tried looking at it with a different primary that could get more bang from Power Boost, and I ended up completely removing the abilities from my build altogether. The biggest thing to remember about Dark Blast is that it doesn't want to be in Melee at all, which is massively contradictory to its T9, and thematic partner Darkness Manipulation which is all Melee focused. Energy, Plant, Tactical Arrow, and Time are the most suited to stay at a distance for pairing.

• My vote: Dark/Time

Ice Blast can kind of mix around since its core AoE function is all target drops with wide coverage patches. It does have one cone, but it's likely a skip power for most. I personally paired this with Atomic because it opens up the doorway to stack a lot of Hold effects. Positron Cell and Radioactive Cloud both generate pretty good stacks with Freeze Ray, and between the Cloud, Atom Smasher, Ice Storm, and Blizzard you'll have a lot of mass-patch control abilities (slow, stun, hold, KDs). Other options will really be up to you on whether you want to stack up some more centralized AoE with something like Fire, or mix up your Melee game since Blizzard and Ice Storm will semi-freak-out spawns while they're active and give you a little breathing room.

• My vote: Ice/Atomic (totally biased, and it does feel a bit Controller-ish).

Water Blast is a high AoE centric set that's going to allow you to output a lot of orange numbers all over the place and you're going to want to be flexible in that fact. You may even want to grab a few good ST hitters to patch into the build so Electric might not be a bad call and will also get you access to Power Sink which you might need cycling through a ton of higher-costing AoE. Honestly Atomic is probably a solid choice with Water Blast as well, Negatron Slam is a pretty strong hitter in itself and supports Water the same way it does Ice. All of your abilities give you distance attacking though, so if you want to maintain that long-range aspect, just like Dark Blast you'll be looking at Energy, Plant, Tactical, or Time. Energy is a pretty "blah" secondary (in my opinion), Time has some decent tricks for you though, and Plant has that "Nature" theme it can blend with.

• My vote: Water/Electric

• Like 2

With Water/Atomic i can solo farm warriors map +4/8. Deyhadrate help as first heal and another heal plus hibernate coming from cold mastery pool. Triyng to add defence, damage and recharge (perma hasten) via set bonus and choosing leadership Powers (assault, tactics, manouvres). I have no Holds, i'm fine with knockup as my only crowd control. i have no melee attacks, only ranged AoE damage. It Is great fun for grouping and any other kind of PvE content too. It Is a very versatile character and i love It. Only almost useless for PvP but you know...can't have everything. 🙂

Edited by reib
  • Like 1

I just 50'd a Dark/Dark/Soul on Sunday.  If you like cones I have good news!  The build I am running is evil, and surviovable.  There are 3 modes of play.

1) Stand off ST burn down of AV, GM, hard target.

2) Stand off AoE cone Madness for maximimum Debuff and team support.

3) Moment of madness.  wait until a group has a tank wade in (or don't, but it is squish death sometimes) then jump into the group.  Hit Soul Drain, Aim, Blackstar, Judgement.  Maybe Darek Consumption if you need End.  Jump back away.  Continue with 1 or 2

Here is the build:

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Snarky: Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Dark Blast
Secondary Power Set: Darkness Manipulation
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(7)
Level 1: Penumbral Grasp -- TraoftheH-Acc/Rchg(A), TraoftheH-EndRdx/Immob(7), TraoftheH-Acc/EndRdx(9), TraoftheH-Immob/Acc(9), TraoftheH-Acc/Immob/Rchg(11), TraoftheH-Dam%(11)
Level 2: Gloom -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(17)
Level 4: Umbral Torrent -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(19), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(19), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(21), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(21), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(23)
Level 6: Aim -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(23), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(25), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(25), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(27), GssSynFr--Build%(27)
Level 8: Moonbeam -- ExcCnt-Acc/Dmg(A), ExcCnt-Dmg/EndRdx(29), ExcCnt-Dmg/ActRdx(29), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rng(31), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rchg(31), ExcCnt-Stun%(31)
Level 10: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(36)
Level 12: Tenebrous Tentacles -- Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(33), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(34), Rgn-Knock%(34)
Level 14: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Soul Drain -- RechRdx-I(A), Erd-Acc/Rchg(36), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Erd-%Dam(37)
Level 18: Abyssal Gaze -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(39), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(39)
Level 20: Touch of the Beyond -- ThfofEss-+End%(A), SphIns-%ToHit(34)
Level 22: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 26: Life Drain -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Apc-Acc/Rchg(40), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Apc-Dam%(40)
Level 28: Dark Consumption -- Erd-Acc/Rchg(A), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Erd-%Dam(42), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 32: Blackstar -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Arm-Acc/Rchg(43), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Arm-Dam%(45)
Level 35: Night Fall -- CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(45), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(45), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(46), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(46), CldSns-%Dam(46)
Level 38: Dark Embrace -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(48)
Level 41: Soul Tentacles -- TraoftheH-Acc/Rchg(A), TraoftheH-EndRdx/Immob(48), TraoftheH-Acc/EndRdx(48), TraoftheH-Immob/Acc(50), TraoftheH-Acc/Immob/Rchg(50), TraoftheH-Dam%(50)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Tactics -- RctRtc-Pcptn(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(17)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1476;681;1362;HEX;|
|78DA6594F94E135114C6EF74A6D4526A29050101A12C65EF22A8718B89A246A509B|
|10FD08C740223C374EC82F2A72F210AA2FFB8E0FA0A6AC4E5215CE31AA3E80B987A|
|BCE7B392CCA4E537F39DFB9D73CF1D4ED31726EA1E1EBF784828C123965E2C660FD|
|3DF9251F0A6F519735AD05593B1F5C2DCA28F6E5B11CC9ED6ED1923179FA0001BFA|
|FE453265C7C9174A32641B942FADDBA653B6F49299B745782A9FB7E227EC05B3689|
|E312DB3B41890CA31CB9C992DD5CAFB8C6318B990BC9D34F49C5128CE9A4EFB51C7|
|9C8EA7658D79D3CE6533F9B295E5E7C516DA5A8CBEB38D0257C52B8426444A131E0|
|5F4303515D498355EE6B9CDDE4B0AC796985B2E835798B5CBE00AD324AF02AFB2AC|
|4AAD6E05BCCADCBA0A5E63D65F679E25AF0AAFFA8AB586D7E01B66E35BF01D73DB7|
|BE61C79BDF07A6F78387693D9720BBCCDDCBE06DE615AE4F5C1EB7B2AA4D6BE0E3E|
|63EE780EBE005F328364F4CB862B8ABF89CFA0E7373D7668629EF20638AF1618E35|
|A5DE3E02E667437B88719A27C41F68820F295294F489E6A450D0D73DD9E6F1E59A3|
|E73BB3778369D3DA306A86D7F87DF6DE05EF3163F7C107CC05F244D043A4419579A|
|2757CAE7EDA4F13C74413F61320AD197B6C6EE37579CAD18ABAADA3DC4B2CCEEC4F|
|804930C53C4F9E36F6A86DE86710FD0CA29F41F4DB4D353B78ADD201AD0B74284F2|
|76A77EEE5DC43FBC0FDE001E6C841E623DA7637DE79F707AE35F211FCC41CFD0C7E|
|01BF321F93B70FE7D5B793FB4F342B32F6841E07907700B393C0EC24303B29CC4E0|
|AB393C2EC84A9C7619CF530CEBA81B438CE3A1EE57E23A425A12557694F11FA3FD5|
|AA334B1FBA44F4AFC2D92AA786AAD1CA906B65D2A5A45CCA984B197729932E654AA|
|BFE1A08452AFEFAEA8C577ED45254D91CFDF95F5194287E1D4E92D0AF890DD7EA5F|
|9B95257EAF7F00CC91F390|

• Like 1

You are not ready for /elec, /fire, or any of the secondaries that lean heavily towards melee play. I recommend you ease your way into blasting.

My vote would be Dark/Energy. Power boost is the MVP of that combo and you will have no endurance issues with energize. Boost range pairs very well with your cones if you take it. It leans heavily towards ranged play but you should take some of the melee attacks for Mako's ranged def bonus. Then you can stack that ranged def on top of a resist epic  shield and you can be very survivable. If the epic pool has a hold as well then you can also stack holds for harder targets.

If you want to stick to your controller roots go Dark/TA, ESD arrow will bring you into familiar territory and you can stack that with gaze and epic hold. I pick dark over ice because of the -to hit and because of the heal. Same build idea as the previous suggestion, ranged def + resist shield.

Once you get a good command of blaster fundamentals and understand the nuances of movement then you can graduate to more melee oriented playstyles/secondaries. Of those /Elec has the best crowd control tools only if you take Thunderstrike, which most people don't because they only see the activation time and ignore the synergy it has with force of thunder.

Welcome to blasting!

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

For greatest survivability, play a hover-blaster.   Use hover/fly as your travel power and use far ranged attacks only.  Fly out of melee range and back away from the fight and throw/fire your attacks into the battle from range.  This is about as safe as anyone could be in this game, especially leveling up.  As you gain levels and money you can start slotting for attuned sets for ranged defense (thunderstrike sets and ATO sets are great for this). 

Many sets and combos can be good hover blasters.  I recommend you choose set that has a targeted AoE Tier 9 and not PBAoE so you can fire your nuke from range.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Ranged tier 9s are a thing i chased. Sadly not happy with them. I dont love weapons. So that rules out rifles bows guns.

If you like them they are decent. Ice...not a true tier 9 as we are used to. I would run it...except a lot if ice is location AoE. Loc AoE is nearly impossible to land accurately in a busy fight. So if you want to run older content at original settings content then the set is good

. If you want to run in hard running teams the native controls for landing these attacks are useless. So you need to learn and keybind a ton of various location casts depending on where you want it to go based on your location. Hope you have a huge keyboard lol

Elec is not true ranged although the tier 9 is. Also the secondary drain is nearly useless in hard running teams

14 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Ranged tier 9s are a thing i chased. Sadly not happy with them. I dont love weapons. So that rules out rifles bows guns.

If you like them they are decent. Ice...not a true tier 9 as we are used to. I would run it...except a lot if ice is location AoE. Loc AoE is nearly impossible to land accurately in a busy fight. So if you want to run older content at original settings content then the set is good

. If you want to run in hard running teams the native controls for landing these attacks are useless. So you need to learn and keybind a ton of various location casts depending on where you want it to go based on your location. Hope you have a huge keyboard lol

Elec is not true ranged although the tier 9 is. Also the secondary drain is nearly useless in hard running teams

/bind <key, for me usually g> powexeclocation target Blizzard

/bind shift+lbutton powexecname Blizzard

Target a mob in the middle or the tank for the first, or just shift-click where you want it.

If you like controllers, Ice Blast will get you two single target holds - one of which I usually recommend skipping - with slows in every attack, Bitter Ice Blast and providing -to-hit, and Blizzard acting like Ice Patch while it's killing the mobs inside.

For secondaries, Tactical Arrow is Trick Arrow only better, but it's going to be nerfed. If you want another ranged AoE, Mental gives you Psychic Scream; if you want a self heal while you stay out of range and blast, Energy gets Energize and Boost Range. Otherwise just pick one for concept or personal taste - if you're planning on jumping into melee occasionally Mental offers Drain Psyche and Psychic Shockwave as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ice_Warden said:

What pairs well with Dark/?

/Energy is great with it, as Power Boost will increase all the -ToHit. And the self-heal. And the duration of the Hold. And your personal defense powers to add to all the -ToHit.

Boost Range work well with the shorter cone (Torrent already has a very long range).

/Mental is also good, as it gives you a 3rd cone with a nice debuff on it. Mob spawns that are -ToHit, knocked down repeatedly, and attack at half their normal rate, are not that hard to survive especially if you go in and use Drain Psyche on a few guys and build for good defense.

12 hours ago, Ice_Warden said:

Thinking of trying Dark/, Ice/ or Water/. What are some good secondary sets for these?

/temp. You get an added way to help with the health bar along with Dark or Water. More AoE for Ice. Another hold for Ice so you can stack it on a boss. I have a Water/temp/cold who is about as care free a character I have.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I like the Ice/Atom and Water/Electric ideas. What are the typical skippable powers? I assume Fighting pool. But is Leadership necessary? 

Any builds or at the least slotting sets people typically use for the powers? Money is not really an issue. 

All on Excelsior. 

42 minutes ago, Ice_Warden said:

Any builds or at the least slotting sets people typically use for the powers?

Incidentally I do have an Ice/Atomic build just lazing about the place! I will mention a few things though as there are personal decisions involved in a few of the power selections:

I took Assault over Aim, better long term constant buff versus short, small buff that I'm likely to not have the time or desire to click so often (plus teaming). It does add a toggle into the mix, and this build is a bit endurance heavy. Fast cycling AoE's, and strong ST attacks on quick animations with massively reduced recharges leads to a lot of endurance being burned, I used Tactics to fix ToHit/Acc in order to slot a bit more on Proc use, and there's also Tough in there which I personally run and accept the burn, but is something you could turn off and help stave off some of the bleed. If you're going to stay as a ranged character, Beta Decay and Atom Smasher are going to loose out a lot of purpose for you. You could skip both and take Frost Breath as a supplement instead (or review your Epic options).

I planned for a build that'd work in Melee, but I've found myself capable of spending a lot of time out at range as well when necessary (or laziness). And you could get away without using Leadership if you wanted, does make getting 45% S/L a bit harder (have to give up something somewhere), and use a Kismet to patch up Acc a little (not that dramatic, only a couple of abilities are short changed), but I will say I use Vengeance a ton.

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Ice Blast
Secondary Power Set: Atomic Manipulation
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Blast -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(25), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(25), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(42), ImpSwf-Dam%(42)
Level 1: Electron Shackles -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A)
Level 2: Negatron Slam -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(5), Empty(7)
Level 4: Super Speed -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 6: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(13), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(48)
Level 8: Freeze Ray -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), GldJvl-Dam%(9), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(11), UnbCns-Dam%(11), GldNet-Dam%(13)
Level 10: Ionize -- RechRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(45)
Level 12: Ice Storm -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(31), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(31)
Level 14: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), HO:Cyto(15), HO:Cyto(15)
Level 16: Beta Decay -- EndRdx-I(A), AchHee-ResDeb%(17)
Level 18: Bitter Ice Blast -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Apc-Acc/Rchg(19), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Apc-Dam%(21), CldSns-%Dam(23)
Level 20: Metabolic Acceleration -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(34), EndMod-I(37)
Level 22: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(23), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(37), RctArm-ResDam(48), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(50), RctArm-EndRdx(50)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(27), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(48)
Level 26: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(27)
Level 28: Atom Smasher -- Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Erd-%Dam(39), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Arm-Dam%(40), Obl-%Dam(40)
Level 30: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A), RctRtc-ToHit(42), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(43)
Level 32: Blizzard -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(34)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(36), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Rct-Def/EndRdx(36), Rct-ResDam%(37)
Level 38: Positron Cell -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(45), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(45), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(46)
Level 41: Radioactive Cloud -- NrnSht-Dam%(A), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(46), Lck-%Hold(46)
Level 44: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 47: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(7)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface
Level 50: Pyronic Radial Final Judgement
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
		|MxDz;1614;707;1414;HEX;|
		|78DAB5944B4F135114C7EFED4CC1422B2D2DEF675BA150DAA1F5115F80898A06A18|
		|A34714B26745226C1760225D1A5DF408DC64444E3C68851F72EFD0E1AF908980818|
		|DDE9A29EDEFF6969D2B537697F73CFFB9C7B6732F7AE7A3F5E7F704948DF9535736|
		|363F932FD97AC7577C6CCDB2BA2B29AE9D7CDE2E525B390B772C6DC8A05CBD1AA22|
		|BBE938C5F592B164E66CB364170BCB19B3603B9B6B6A235A168BC53523EB5856CEA|
		|71EAFD9F9D5925DC8B7A9DD8265E6ACF58D55DBF156F70E297B661D7BC5A8A6C898|
		|9435A39EEF77535133F4BB21AAABEC166F7521D2BAE8FEC0DC0163EFC0F1F7CC375|
		|288015D9C1DAFF90AB12D94EE1CC924C7930F61EF7AC47C0CEA4F984FC1A6322D11|
		|A539691C4DF3B8944692CC0D99E65E244474E1BD0DFAB3E0E41298E151573237733|
		|5C75E33139A62CB5D09CE21BE7716F20B54B507BED233019FC40E6C6ED2B695E3B6|
		|3E877DFF16731B1C7CC97CC5FC84CE0254904F8DA3ECF27520F7F133B4D5B51A2F5|
		|2EE362955EEB63072FB3F53EEA02E6ED136C0B90309D4D36E3027C1508A99063BF7|
		|5CEA74A6286E907307F75057F83B7862187934AAAF0336EE8E2E9C6AE749B619A47|
		|D8CE61B01D343CC28A8936F177CF52EEEAD3704C6FDCC2038398F9811F2E9818FEC|
		|E139F732A7A9DE3EEEB5EF077A18DD671E30A7D0636C9A291037487107B8D7019EE|
		|BF81666187F0156AECD10C71F12389F61C974313530AC33DDE05F3F5D31EE35C2BD|
		|460F903BFA8B79C873FB0D9EA77E46F8EE8E7C41FD895DE63730F9159C21DB31D8B|
		|AC64C9C4392EF6AF20F9F2BF538C1B39BE01AD23CEF10E90C7E770CD6B5932C057B|
		|91E27BD5AFD7BDB1EAAD0B5724B02ACFC76BDA72BCC132D5204937484E35484E374|
		|8161A248B7AED9B21A49278FCB56F4179BF85B4DC874CA28FC323999461CCBBE90E|
		|FA3EA8B71F83FDCF7A19DFFD8520813BDFAD7B562B1A3A123CAB28459DF2FFAD7F9|
		|6AB4C8B|

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ice_Warden said:

I like the Ice/Atom and Water/Electric ideas. What are the typical skippable powers? I assume Fighting pool. But is Leadership necessary? 

Any builds or at the least slotting sets people typically use for the powers? Money is not really an issue. 

Looks at OPs name for first time. This was sort of a forego e conclusion wasnt it lol

okay. On the bright side cold/cold is very survivable. Forget the melee powers. The PBAoE aura in ice manipulation is very good. Remember ranged is 8ft. So if you build for ranged defense even if the seem right on too of tou the game has them at 40 ft. Sometimes being near but not in melee is your most survivable spot. And given ice abolity to really slow down enemies it can take them forever to move 1 ft

Well I created the name when I first made my forum account. It was based on my most successful toon back on live which was a Ice/Storm troller.

When I first started on Homecoming I initially created several of my old favorites that I played a lot. Fast forward to now....I have since deleted all of my "homage" characters because they just weren't fun for some reason. Now my favorites are completely different combos...and I'm stuck with Ice_Warden even though I have no Ice characters 😉  

All on Excelsior. 

elec secondary is very much a point blank and melee set.  you might want to look at ice/ice instead  if you leave off the melee from ice secondary that leaves you with some good ranged tools.  the ice aura is great mitigation and a pbaoe sleep can be situationally incredibly good

Ok so going off of what I could find and sort of meshing different builds let me know if this is viable?

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Secondary Power Set: Electricity Manipulation

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(40)
Level 1: Electric Fence -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(5), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(40), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(42)
Level 2: Charged Brawl -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(43)
Level 4: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 6: Aim -- RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(A), RctRtc-ToHit(17)
Level 8: Freeze Ray -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(11), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), GldNet-Dam%(31)
Level 10: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Ice Storm -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(13), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(33), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(45)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(17), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(43)
Level 16: Build Up -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(33)
Level 18: Bitter Ice Blast -- Apc-Acc/Rchg(A), Apc-Dmg(19), Apc-Dam%(19), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(33), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), CldSns-%Dam(46)
Level 20: Force of Thunder -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(21), Stg-Acc/Rchg(21), Stg-Stun/Rng(34), Stg-Acc/Stun/Rchg(46)
Level 22: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(23), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(23), Ags-ResDam(48), Ags-Psi/Status(50)
Level 24: Weave -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(25), Rct-ResDam%(25), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(48)
Level 28: Thunder Strike -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), Erd-%Dam(29), Erd-Dmg(29), Erd-Acc/Rchg(34), Erd-Dmg/Rchg(45), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45)
Level 32: Blizzard -- Ann-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(34), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Ann-ResDeb%(37)
Level 35: Power Sink -- EffAdp-EndMod(A), EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(36)
Level 38: Shocking Grasp -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(50), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(50)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42), LucoftheG-Def(43)
Level 44: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 47: Super Speed -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 49: Bitter Freeze Ray -- Lck-%Hold(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(9)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(9)
------------

Edited by Ice_Warden

All on Excelsior. 

two main points in my first glace at your build. Your defense is all over the place.  The only thing that hits softcap is energy.  Are you going positional, or type, or...blech lol  second, Blasters get 3 powers that fore off when mezzed.  you took two of them.  Blasters have TONs of power choices.  (compared to melee who have to devote so much to armors)  I think the pick is unwise unless you never plan to exemp, then, maybe...

2 minutes ago, Nemu said:

I see my standard blaster shell in that build, I'll take a look and give feedback.

Yes you do sir.

It’s mostly yours with some Myshkin thrown in for the Ice ideas.

Edited by Ice_Warden

All on Excelsior. 

33 minutes ago, Ice_Warden said:

So it’s terrible. Ok...first blaster build attempt is a fail...

It's not, you are almost there. The lack of another pbaoe to stick the winter set in for the extra melee/fire/cold def hurts a little, might sound a little silly but consider cross punch from the fighting pool as a usable mule for that set. You could take lightning field as the mule but I never liked damage auras on blasters because 1) they are end hogs especially for this combo which features high DPA attacks. 2) Why use paper cuts when you have tactical nukes at your disposal.

I get the proc mentality but if you want pure survival those are first to get cut. Thunder strike deserves a FF proc and Freeze ray can be slotted for more recharge bonuses without sacrificing too much damage potential. I'd also take super speed over super jump if I had to ditch one and I did. Taking SS early also allows you to stealth earlier.

This is the revision that I made. Sacrifices were made to get defenses as close to softcap as possible without sacrificing too much efficiency. Of the defenses fire/cold are least important so if you want the kismet and the extra slots in power sink and stamina take those slots out of tough. You will still be fine with 40% fire/cold def. I'd recommend getting cardiac alpha because this build will drain your end bar very fast even with the improved sustain. Powersink helps and if you absolutely have to one slot it I recommend the endmod/end red IO +5. Likewise the damage IO in freeze ray, the end mod IO in stamina and the recharge IOs in hasten should also get +5ed.

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Secondary Power Set: Electricity Manipulation

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(40)
Level 1: Electric Fence -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(5), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(40), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(42)
Level 2: Charged Brawl -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(43)
Level 4: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 6: Aim -- RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(9)
Level 8: Freeze Ray -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), Dmg-I(9), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(11), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(11), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(13), HO:Nucle(31)
Level 10: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Ice Storm -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(13), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(17), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(33)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(17)
Level 16: Build Up -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(33)
Level 18: Bitter Ice Blast -- Apc-Acc/Rchg(A), Apc-Dmg(19), Apc-Dam%(19), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(23), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33)
Level 20: Force of Thunder -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(21), Stg-Acc/Rchg(21), Stg-Stun/Rng(34), Stg-Acc/Stun/Rchg(46)
Level 22: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(23), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(36), Ags-ResDam(43), Ags-Psi/Status(45)
Level 24: Weave -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(25), Rct-ResDam%(25), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(48)
Level 28: Thunder Strike -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Erd-Dmg(29), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), HO:Nucle(37), FrcFdb-Rechg%(45)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45)
Level 32: Blizzard -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(34), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(36), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(37)
Level 35: Power Sink -- EffAdp-EndMod/EndRdx(A)
Level 38: Shocking Grasp -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(50), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(50)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42), LucoftheG-Def(43)
Level 44: Cross Punch -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(50)
Level 47: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A)
------------

The build is 50% of the battle, the playstyle makes up the rest. Movement is key. This is not a beginner blaster build/combo/playstyle that I would recommend to people but more power to you if you want to jump right into it and smash face.

Edited by Nemu
  • Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

For me I concentrate on ranged def.  the only plavce this fails me is AoE, which I try to avoid lol.  But 8 ft is ranged.  heck 3 ft is ranged if they use a ranged attack.  So softcap Ranged covers a lot of ground I don't have to shovel other stuff into.  Then...I stay ranged.  I hop into PBAoE when I calculate it best, then pop back out to cone range.  So, did I mention range?