Likes and Thanks on OPs bump threads

It's always been a point of frustration to me that on video game forums, the game runners are more likely to see polarizing threads about controversial ideas than simple ideas everyone agrees on. 

So my suggestion is that any time the first (and ONLY the first) post gets a Like or a Thanks, it bumps the thread to the top.

This would need some sort of limiter that prevents folks from retracting and reapplying their response to keep a thread artificially pinned.

It would also be fine to limit this just to the 2 suggestions/feedback subforums.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, r0y said:

While the intention is fine, I am worried it would just become like a Twitter or Reddit cesspool.  Popularity contests (systems) are very easy to abuse on-line. 

Good point. This is why I would limit it to suggestion sub forums.

As I mentioned in the OP, I'm not convinced that's worse than what we currently have, which is promotion of "hot" topics (which is always the most dramatic ones, as opposed to calm consensus).

This wouldn't be trading out a "sort by hottest" for a "sort by popularity." Posting would still bump as well. So you would simply be grading threads on a curve for having good ideas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Replacement said:

Good point. This is why I would limit it to suggestion sub forums.

As I mentioned in the OP, I'm not convinced that's worse than what we currently have, which is promotion of "hot" topics (which is always the most dramatic ones, as opposed to calm consensus).

This wouldn't be trading out a "sort by hottest" for a "sort by popularity." Posting would still bump as well. So you would simply be grading threads on a curve for having good ideas.

One could, perhaps, come up with a system to weigh "value" based on reads, likes, and replies/quotes.  For good or ill.  Quoted replies of a certain word-count, probably (eliminate the "+1 / me, too!" useless stuff).

2 hours ago, Vanden said:

A problem with the suggestion forums is that good, uncontroversial ideas tend to just sink quickly off the front page before they have a chance to get any real visibility.

0.o  The oldest post currently on the front page is six months old.  The oldest thread is eight months old.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

2 hours ago, Vanden said:

Because they're controversial and keep getting bumped by debate.

0.o  That is... one of the most nonsensical replies I've ever read on any forum.  (And after nearly a quarter century online, that's quite the achievement.) 

Your claim was that "good" content was being "quickly" being pushed off the front page.  Given the age of the threads on the front page (months), that's patent nonsense.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!

17 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

0.o  That is... one of the most nonsensical replies I've ever read on any forum.  (And after nearly a quarter century online, that's quite the achievement.) 

Your claim was that "good" content was being "quickly" being pushed off the front page.  Given the age of the threads on the front page (months), that's patent nonsense.

Your response is what seems nonsensical to me. It sounds like you're claiming the age of the threads is proof of the quality of the ideas posted?

14 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

Which Board are you looking at, Scorpion?  This one?  It rarely gets used.  The Game Suggestion Board, on the other hand . . . geez, stuff rarely lasts a couple days per page there.

Oops, my bad.

• 2 months later
On 3/29/2020 at 4:51 AM, Vanden said:

I think this is a pretty good idea. A problem with the suggestion forums is that good, uncontroversial ideas tend to just sink quickly off the front page before they have a chance to get any real visibility.

I think you and the OP do have a good point here.

I can't think of any solution that would not also crowd out new suggestions.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png