City of Heroes Things you find annoying

hyacathinose

23 hours ago, nihilii said:

I find clicks annoying in CoH. The way it triggers based on server latency, so you rush to a door or glowie and click it, and you get nothing because to the server you're not in range yet.

Most of these click-to-activate things require that you've completely stopped moving. If you're running toward the clickable, when you "stop" your forward movement, you still haven't completely stopped. You stop moving forward, and then there is a brief "rock back" in the animation that is actually realistic: IRL, if you were running full speed and then literally stopped on a dime, you'd topple over forward, so your body naturally incorporates a little "rock back" when you come to a stop, to shift your body mass backwards a bit to counteract the forward momentum. If your volume is high enough, you can hear this in your footsteps when you stop: step-step-step-step-stutterstep. You're not fully stopped until that "stutterstep" finishes, so if you're clicking the instant your character hits the object, you're clicking ahead of the "stutterstep" before you're fully stopped.

5 hours ago, Black Zot said:

End drain and mez spam.  Bad enough when you have one mob in a spawn that does it, but when entire factions have one or the other (or both, for Malta) as their entire gimmick ... ARGH!

"You don't get to play right now" is about the worst thing you can do to a player.  Seriously, what's the point of even accepting a mission when 30-50% of your button presses are going to do NOTHING?

This goes all the way down to Hellions and Skulls - that one guy in the spawn with a shotgun whose only power is the KB/KD shot. You can literally watch these guys standing there doing absolutely nothing but waiting for that power to recharge so they can do it again. Combine them with the "slammers" (guys with sledgehammer), and you're spending the entire fight on your back.

Then comes the Circle of Thorns with entire spawns of ghosts stacking -ToHit on you.

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

There is a target nearest. I use it 99% time even with my Blaster.  I have It hot keyed but the Setting is baked into the game. It is not a macro

I remapped it to TAB, so that it's my default tab-target.

Edited by RikOz

11 minutes ago, myyth said:

The annoying huge window that pops up every time you join a group and get exemp/SK to another level that you have to click accept with a countdown. Sometimes this pops up multiple times and you have to keep clicking accept or when you exit a mission. Sometimes I accidentally press quit and then get removed from the group I just joined. I have no idea what happens if the timer runs out because I feel stressed to click accept as quickly as possible!

Hi, you can stop that in Menu Options and move the levels slider. If you put them both to 50 and accept then you will never be bothered by that popup again.

It is part of my new Alt setup procedure along with thE visit to Null et cetera, oh yes and key binding Target nearest foe as above 🙂

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People running rather mundane missions, where team leaders have specific AT requirements. 

I got turned down by someone running redside patron arcs last night, because he wanted a tanker or healer. I was playing my fresh 50 Plant/Time/Stone controller, with hella control, good heals and buffs. I could have ran that in in my damned sleep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Heraclea said:

Follow melee does not work at all.  If you queue up a melee attack on a followed mob and they run, they will run over heather and dale and your attack will not fire until they decide to stop. 

Follow melee on foot works all the time, every time, as long as the target isn't moving.  I do it all the time, and have since Issue 2.  I target a mob, press F (my default bind for /follow) to start running towards the target, press an attack key to queue up the attack, and when I reach the target, that queued attack fires as expected.  Yes, if the target moves before I reach it, it doesn't fire until the target stops and I catch up, but that's normal, and I don't have a problem with that.

Follow melee in the air does not work that way.  Same exact process: target, F, trigger, move... then I stop just 1 foot shy of the stationary target and the queued attack does not fire.  I have to press the forward arrow (or W key) to scoot forward that 1 remaining foot for the queued attack to fire.  It's aggravating as hell, and makes playing a flying melee fighter almost impossible.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

How about the mechanic that makes it so that, once an attack is started, it's going to finish, no matter what? It leads to some serious "suspension of disbelief" issues:

* I defeat that Troll or Strongman an instant after he begins his Hurl attack. He falls down, unconscious ... and three seconds later this boulder comes flying at me out of nowhere.

* I defeat that Family goon just as he starts his machine gun attack ... and his gun continues to fire, precisely on target. This is even funnier when I hit him with a KB - he's flying across the room, arms and legs going every which way, yet he somehow keeps his gun accurately aimed at me the entire time.

Those are the kinds of attacks that should be interrupted/canceled upon defeat.

* I defeat a Tarantula Mistress in one shot with an Aimed/Built-up snipe, yet she still manages to Blind me.

* Other general effects that you'd think would be canceled upon defeat. Like illusions that persist long after the Illusionist goes down for the count.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, myyth said:

The annoying huge window that pops up every time you join a group and get exemp/SK to another level that you have to click accept with a countdown. Sometimes this pops up multiple times and you have to keep clicking accept or when you exit a mission. Sometimes I accidentally press quit and then get removed from the group I just joined. I have no idea what happens if the timer runs out because I feel stressed to click accept as quickly as possible!

You can disable this in Options.  Auto-accept level changes above by: 0-50.  And Auto-accept level changes below by:0-50.  Just move the sliders to your preference and never be bothered with the popup windows again.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RikOz said:

How about the mechanic that makes it so that, once an attack is started, it's going to finish, no matter what? It leads to some serious "suspension of disbelief" issues:

* I defeat that Troll or Strongman an instant after he begins his Hurl attack. He falls down, unconscious ... and three seconds later this boulder comes flying at me out of nowhere.

* I defeat that Family goon just as he starts his machine gun attack ... and his gun continues to fire, precisely on target. This is even funnier when I hit him with a KB - he's flying across the room, arms and legs going every which way, yet he somehow keeps his gun accurately aimed at me the entire time.

Those are the kinds of attacks that should be interrupted/canceled upon defeat.

* I defeat a Tarantula Mistress in one shot with an Aimed/Built-up snipe, yet she still manages to Blind me.

* Other general effects that you'd think would be canceled upon defeat. Like illusions that persist long after the Illusionist goes down for the count.

On the other hand, suppose you were playing a Dual Pistols blaster and  you pull a leeeeetle bit too much Crey aggro by jumping into a group without, for example, checking there was another spawn above and another spawn just around the corner,  And you get off a good few shots but they're taking you down, and right before the last hit point vanishes your nuke comes back up and your fire it off.  So as you're faceplanting, the nuke animation is still going off around you, and Crey are dropping left right and centre until there are only a handful left, so you can rez, do the spinny kick thing and then finish off the last couple of power tanks with a shot and a kick to the face.  That might be fun.

• Like 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

1 hour ago, RikOz said:

How about the mechanic that makes it so that, once an attack is started, it's going to finish, no matter what?

That's because the game engine works on a Resolve First/Animate After system.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

2 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

That's because the game engine works on a Resolve First/Animate After system.

Yeah, figured it was something like that. It's the same thing with attacks like Sands of Mu, where a miss means you get to continue missing through the entire animation 😄

5 hours ago, subbacultchas said:

People running rather mundane missions, where team leaders have specific AT requirements. 

I got turned down by someone running redside patron arcs last night, because he wanted a tanker or healer. I was playing my fresh 50 Plant/Time/Stone controller, with hella control, good heals and buffs. I could have ran that in in my damned sleep.

ppl need to understand how COH works , a troller / dom mitigates way more dmg that another tank , i still understand wanting 1 if team lacked but they were looking for healer 🙄so they had a 1 at least , u dont need heals when enemies are hold/stun/confused.... /shrug 

Doors. I really hate doors.

If the mission is in a building with double doors then only one side will let you in.

If you walk up to a door until the cursor turns into a hand then you're still too far away to open it. Gaaaaah!

You can't use a door if a team mate has just gone through.

I spend a lot of time failing to open doors in this game. 🙂

• Like 3

People who don't understand that the traditional MMO trinity isn't necessary with CoH. That's part of the magic of this game, just about any team configuration will work. . Along with that people who don't understand damage mitigation can be better than reactive direct healing. 

• Like 5

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

Mobs who are designed to seemingly violate combat norms because the devs wanted them to be able to get off their special crap no matter what. ie Malta Sappers have just enough health to survive a non-Build Up Snipe, where other Minions would go down in one shot. Death Shamans that appear to completely ignore the DOT and interrupt rules for summoners in order to raise their zombies, even as they go down themselves. I can stun or DOT the Engineers to keep the drones from coming up, but the gods themselves can't keep that Shaman from getting his zombies.

Having to buy two Flight powers to get actual fast flight, and it still isn't as fast when fully slotted as some other movement powers with one enhancer. And I can't even use it in combat, like the other movement powers.

20 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

Some other players are generally the only thing I find annoying.

LOL!  Usually this, and the very dark mission maps.

• Like 1

@Kismet

@KlSMET - (kLsmet)

@Kismette

@Kismet Angel/@Angel of Fate/@One Kismet - on live

Heroes on Guardian/Villains on Victory

25 minutes ago, Blackferret66 said:

Having to buy two Flight powers to get actual fast flight, and it still isn't as fast when fully slotted as some other movement powers with one enhancer. And I can't even use it in combat, like the other movement powers.

Originally, Hover was meant to be "combat flight", which is why it sacrifices speed for defense, and why it can be slotted for both flight speed and defense.  Fly was meant to be the out of combat travel power, and it sacrifices speed for mobility (all 3 spatial axes).  In fact, Fly used to have a movement suppression effect if you attacked while Fly was active: they took that out only recently.  Afterburner was added much later, towards the end of the original game's life, and it's sole purpose is to boost the travel speed, which is why it suppresses combat powers entirely.

Super Jump and Super Speed also used to have suppression features to discourage their use in combat, so it's only a recent development that these could be used in combat.  They are faster than Fly because they sacrifice some mobility.  SJ gives you the Z-axis, but with limited control over trajectory, SS gives you horizontal speed, but no Z-axis (unless combined with CJ, SJ, or one of the prestige sprints).  These kinds of trade-offs are "by design" -- they're features, not bugs.  *shrug*

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

The enlarged collision mechanics that has made getting shoved around by other players and NPCs a nightmare. Previously, collision radius was set so small you almost never got pushed around and getting stuck behind doors was a lot less common. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jacktar said:

Hi, you can stop that in Menu Options and move the levels slider. If you put them both to 50 and accept then you will never be bothered by that popup again.

It is part of my new Alt setup procedure along with thE visit to Null et cetera, oh yes and key binding Target nearest foe as above 🙂

Cheers

And, if you then go down to the bottom of the options window, you can save those settings as the default and they will be applied automatically to all new characters.

• Thanks 1

Using SJ (Super Jump) and I miss the next landing, usually the edge of a rooftop, but just a hair.  I've been told SJ takes a little practice to get used to.

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

8 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

Originally, Hover was meant to be "combat flight", which is why it sacrifices speed for defense, and why it can be slotted for both flight speed and defense.  Fly was meant to be the out of combat travel power, and it sacrifices speed for mobility (all 3 spatial axes).  In fact, Fly used to have a movement suppression effect if you attacked while Fly was active: they took that out only recently.  Afterburner was added much later, towards the end of the original game's life, and it's sole purpose is to boost the travel speed, which is why it suppresses combat powers entirely.

Super Jump and Super Speed also used to have suppression features to discourage their use in combat, so it's only a recent development that these could be used in combat.  They are faster than Fly because they sacrifice some mobility.  SJ gives you the Z-axis, but with limited control over trajectory, SS gives you horizontal speed, but no Z-axis (unless combined with CJ, SJ, or one of the prestige sprints).  These kinds of trade-offs are "by design" -- they're features, not bugs.  *shrug*

Yeah, I know it's not a bug and never claimed it was such. I know the design reasons and saw all the developments as they came, but it still eats my lunch. Honestly, I don't know if being able to travel the  Y axis is really that much of a bonus, considering that there are a number of flying mobs around now, as well as snipers in places like PI. The other Travel powers aren't exactly aggro magnets, either. Superspeed gets you halfway across the map before any attacks might hit you from mob aggro, which is also suppressed anyway while SS is active, IIRC. The only real disadvantage is not being able to navigate different heights without jumping ability, but Ninja Run can take care of that, for the most part. Teleport and Superleap have similar ability to avoid mobs, especially after TP got the short-term Hover so you could do high altitude teleports. TP's top power actually takes you Zone to Zone, so I would hardly equate slightly faster flying with that as a top Pool power.

Actually, the best traveler I had took no movement powers. I just slotted Swift, Hurdle, and Sprint. Combined with Nina Run, he hit ust shy of SS run speed, and over 90 mph when Elude was on. Plus some almost Superleaping level jumping height.