City of Heroes Things you find annoying

hyacathinose

27 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:
1 hour ago, THEDarkTyger said:

Well, it doesn't fire because you don't quite move into melee range. But I don't understand why it keeps you back a little.

Yes, that last little bit is what I don't understand, either.  It's maddening.

I figure it's a math error introduced by going from 2D to 3D for computing the positioning to follow to:

spacer.png

So long as you're only factoring 2 dimensions, the follow code works fine for "stopping" within melee range ... but as soon as you add another dimension to it (the vertical dimension due to Flight) then the formula used inside the game engine fails to account for the extra dimension properly (needing cubic math instead of squared math) and flubs the approach distance in an "off by 1" error in terms of how close to approach before stopping.

• Like 2

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:25 AM, Garble said:

I'm on a team and need to sell/train between missions. I click on the map to make the store/trainer my waypoint and suddenly it disappears because the team leader picks the mission. That's okay, I'll bring up the map again and... oops leader picked another mission... 

I think you can right click to drop a thumbtack on the store/trainer and (I believe) that will stay for you regardless of the team leader selecting new items. The thumbtack might not be exactly the right position but it should be close enough to get you in sight of your goal.

2 hours ago, Tugzug said:

To add another thing: base storages shuffling inventory if you click too fast. Why? 

Because the items in the storage aren't stacked by item, they're just displayed that way. They seem to be stacked by who put them in and when, and the inventory switches if the most recent item group changes. Annoying as all hell. But the head of the SG can track who and when people add or take items, which was considered more important when it was set up.

6 hours ago, Redlynne said:

I figure it's a math error introduced by going from 2D to 3D for computing the positioning to follow to:

spacer.png

So long as you're only factoring 2 dimensions, the follow code works fine for "stopping" within melee range ... but as soon as you add another dimension to it (the vertical dimension due to Flight) then the formula used inside the game engine fails to account for the extra dimension properly (needing cubic math instead of squared math) and flubs the approach distance in an "off by 1" error in terms of how close to approach before stopping.

Math Calculate GIF - Math Calculate Confusing GIFs

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

On 3/21/2020 at 10:14 PM, Sovera said:

Edit: wait, I lie. I'm pretty annoyed at Ruin Mages throwing bubbles up when we are low level and don't get to have accuracy slotted in. Annoyed enough I always run two DFBs nowadays. One for the Recovery buff and the second for the Accuracy.

Earthquake and Dispersion Bubble.  So you know, trash your to hit before you can slot much accuracy on top of that added defense.  Where are the ruin mages late game?  Replaced with wimpy demons and lesser mages.

• Like 1

Just now, SaddestGhost said:

Earthquake and Dispersion Bubble.  So you know, trash your to hit before you can slot much accuracy on top of that added defense.  Where are the ruin mages late game?  Replaced with wimpy demons and lesser mages.

I'm convinced that the old devs paired a number of 'underpar' sets to vex people claiming it. Ruin Mages are Earth/FF trollers, and I should probably roll one.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

I thought of another one:

1. Aim
  2. Build Up
  3. Snipe
  4. MISS!

WTF??!!??!!

1. Build Up (Gaussian's proc included)
  2. Hidden Assassin's Strike
  3. Miss
  4. Stand there like an idiot
  • Haha 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Clicking on inspirs, them not being used, and promptly dying.

• Like 3

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

15 hours ago, THEDarkTyger said:

What's the problem? Always a minimum 5% chance to miss.

Oh, I know, believe me, I know.  It's still annoying AF.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

19 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:
  1. Build Up (Gaussian's proc included)
  2. Hidden Assassin's Strike
  3. Miss
  4. Stand there like an idiot

God, early Stalkers it was more like:

4. Get your face murdered by the boss you just tried to pop because even a missed AS takes you out of hide.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I feel like Titan Weapons is a little bit balanced around how much it sucks to miss with your first attack and have to rebuild momentum. 😅

My pet peeve is enemies with phase shift powers.  Master Illusionists aren't too bad if you can stack CC but Desdemona Diabolique lol.... >:[

Edited by Machariel

the cheesiest and smallest pet peeve.  yet still a real immersion breaker.  Standing in a low level zone map like AP.  8ft tall Tank, Armored, level 50.  HEAVY.  little old lady walks into you and pushes you into a fountain.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Machariel said:

My pet peeve is enemies with phase shift powers.  Master Illusionists aren't too bad if you can stack CC but Desdemona.... >:[

Diabolique in Maria Jenkins' missions can be outright unbeatable with a poor team setup if you fight her as an AV thanks to this.  Not even daggers can stop that junk and her Personal Force Field at low health does not help anything.  Worse yet, she's also one of the least threatening AVs as far as kill potential; I think her only damaging attacks are Force Bolt and Repulsion Bomb and even at AV strength both of those aren't very strong (minus the very high KB of course).  Her powers only seem to serve to drag the fight on for so long that you just give up out of frustration (Siphon Power, Siphon Speed, two strong KBs, periodic phasing, and a low health phase).

Edited by ZorkNemesis

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

16 hours ago, Snarky said:

the cheesiest and smallest pet peeve.  yet still a real immersion breaker.  Standing in a low level zone map like AP.  8ft tall Tank, Armored, level 50.  HEAVY.  little old lady walks into you and pushes you into a fountain.....

"I can solo AVs and GMs but damn this bush!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Nothing about the game really irks me. It’s the speed buggies that fly through Task Forces who didn’t announce it was a speed run in the first place. A close second—teams where nobody ever chats with each other (but rattles off build discussion in other channels that pop up as bubbles during our mission). 

Not an irk, but makes me a bit sad-not enough story arc teams running. So much content skipped these days. It’s all Task Forces and farms.

But, really, these are all pretty minor peeves in the grand scheme of things. Great game, still the greatest community.

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

44 minutes ago, cranebump said:

Nothing about the game really irks me. It’s the speed buggies that fly through Task Forces who didn’t announce it was a speed run in the first place. A close second—teams where nobody ever chats with each other (but rattles off build discussion in other channels that pop up as bubbles during our mission). 

Not an irk, but makes me a bit sad-not enough story arc teams running. So much content skipped these days. It’s all Task Forces and farms.

But, really, these are all pretty minor peeves in the grand scheme of things. Great game, still the greatest community.

a lot (not all, but a lot) of story content story arc, and game exploration...is solo.  At least that is what I have seen.  PUGs do not have much patience for 99% of story arcs.  I have a decent amount of time in grinding missions and arcs from contacts.  Solo.  

It is my belief this is pretty common.  The exception would be a group who do arcs together.  I have not gotten into a group like that.  I think it would be bad as F to start at level 1 and story arc with the same team all the way to 50.  Not every arc, but maybe a planned tour for the team through content to Incarnate stuff.  I do not think most groups who do arcs do it that way, but being a complete obsessive that's what I look at as the ultimate.

22 hours ago, Snarky said:

a lot (not all, but a lot) of story content story arc, and game exploration...is solo.  At least that is what I have seen.  PUGs do not have much patience for 99% of story arcs.  I have a decent amount of time in grinding missions and arcs from contacts.  Solo.  

It is my belief this is pretty common.  The exception would be a group who do arcs together.  I have not gotten into a group like that.  I think it would be bad as F to start at level 1 and story arc with the same team all the way to 50.  Not every arc, but maybe a planned tour for the team through content to Incarnate stuff.  I do not think most groups who do arcs do it that way, but being a complete obsessive that's what I look at as the ultimate.

I’m not sure why a PUG would be less patient with a story arc, especially now that we can cosmic base so quickly from zone to zone. Maybe that’s part and parcel of the rush from one thing to another. That said, I agree that story content tends to be solo. I have this grand scheme to take my next toon from 1 to 50 solo, starting red, then running tips to get to hero status. Without the XP buff. I prefer teaming, though, so, it’s a tall order. I’ve never actually heard of anyone running a team from 1-50 all through story arcs. Considering that I’m quarantined till May, I’d be up for it, though.:-)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

5 hours ago, cranebump said:

I’m not sure why a PUG would be less patient with a story arc, especially now that we can cosmic base so quickly from zone to zone.

It's not about travel time...  It's about reading the content, not having someone other than the mish holder interact with glowies and NPC's, etc... etc...

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)