Go. Fold. Kill Coronavirus. Join the Homecoming Folding@home Team Today!

Jimmy

heh, I am still giggling that we are AHEAD of Intel, Google, and UC Berkley!!!  As a small user group, we are kicking all sorts of ***! 😃

think about that a moment...  We rock - and not another gaming based team anywhere near.

• Retired Lead Game Master

Hey everyone! Just wanted to say thank you for your continued work on this - y'all are the best! We are going to have the April winners up as soon as we can - I am going to throw in an extra raffle winner for your patience, TY! ❤️

• Like 5

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

I do hope this won't be just a "rich get richer" thing with the top 10-20 people with insane hardware always in the lead.  Like, once you are a top 10, you can't be part of the top 10 again so you give other people a shot  😉   I'm around 70 so not like it will make a big difference, just sayin.  The top end of the list is an exponential curve that is just untouchable like the wealth curve in the US.

I’ve been kinda thinking of doing some kind of contest to fold under other people names for a bit to boost them up into the top 10.  Hardware issues along with life in general have kept me focused on other things though and unable to come up with an idea. 

2 hours ago, Kililea said:

I do hope this won't be just a "rich get richer" thing with the top 10-20 people with insane hardware always in the lead.  Like, once you are a top 10, you can't be part of the top 10 again so you give other people a shot  😉   I'm around 70 so not like it will make a big difference, just sayin.  The top end of the list is an exponential curve that is just untouchable like the wealth curve in the US.

Just so you know, there are three "Categories" mentioned in the first post -

• The top 10 contributors to the team each month will receive 500 Reward Merits and a permanent costume power of their choice
    • The #1 contributor each month will receive an additional 500 Reward Merits
    • The #2 and #3 contributors each month will receive an additional 250 Reward Merits
  • 10 randomly chosen contributors with at least 5 Work Units complete (outside the top 10) each month will receive 500 Reward Merits and a permanent costume power of their choice
  • 10 randomly-chosen contributors with at least 1 Work Unit complete (outside the top 10) each month will receive 500 Reward Merits and a permanent costume power of their choice

I finally cracked 10 million last month, and have sort of crawled back from 50 somehow (not sure...) so, for me, at least, I have to cross fingers about the last two categories 🙂  Basically, as long as you didn't start in the last half-day of the month and had the client running, you *probably* have at least 1 WU (assuming, of course, one was assigned - not always guaranteed) you're in for at least one possible random win.

Yeah, I can't put the money (or space, or money for power...) to set up a 'mining' type setup to get anywhere near the top 10. (Even if I had the cash to throw at it, I don't think I could get one set up - not technically, but space and noise wise! I am *literally* renting a master bedroom in someone's house, which serves as bedroom, work-at-home PC office, my normal PC, bookshelves, guitars... no room for that sort of thing.)

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

typical mining setups don’t fold well and can be difficult to get setup. Noise isn’t that bad in my opinion. Heat can be problematic. They are also far more temperamental than a typical pc. A 1080ti or better should land you in the top ten. Maybe a regular 1080 depending on luck. But that isn’t in everyone’s means. 

35 minutes ago, Psyblade said:

typical mining setups don’t fold well and can be difficult to get setup. Noise isn’t that bad in my opinion. Heat can be problematic. They are also far more temperamental than a typical pc. A 1080ti or better should land you in the top ten. Maybe a regular 1080 depending on luck. But that isn’t in everyone’s means. 

Currently running a Ryzen 7 1700 and (regular) 1080, so... (And I'm thinking more of multiple, multiple GPU setups.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

4 hours ago, Kililea said:

I've already excluded myself, I have thrown quite a bit of money into my set up and intend to expand it further. As I have said before I'm not interested in the rewards, It's not why I'm here.

You could say money is the reason why I'm in the spot I am but I've also been on the team since week one and clawed my way up.

Edited by Suicide Squirrel

5 hours ago, Kililea said:

Right at the beginning I knew this was going to be a thing and if you go back and read the first couple pages of posts on the thread you will see I was vocal about this, and advocated for those not in the top ten to also be eligible for prizes. As mentioned there are 3 categories for prizes. The Top 10 Category is more incentive for those who do have high end equipment to keep going at it hard. To be in the top 10 it's not cheep, I am not looking forward to my electrical bill this month and for that reason after my second month in the top 10 I will be significantly slowing down, especially since the summer months where I live electricity costs skyrocket!

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

Currently running a Ryzen 7 1700 and (regular) 1080, so... (And I'm thinking more of multiple, multiple GPU setups.)

As someone who has/had 6-8 gpu mining/folding machines, keep the max number of gpus to match your pcie x16 slots. It’s much easier that way if you do expand. The mining risers work for folding, but not well and can cause you lots of hassle. 

1 hour ago, Psyblade said:

As someone who has/had 6-8 gpu mining/folding machines, keep the max number of gpus to match your pcie x16 slots. It’s much easier that way if you do expand. The mining risers work for folding, but not well and can cause you lots of hassle. 

You're just referring to the full sized pcie slots? The system I'm running dual unlinked 2060's in run at 2x8x and still turn out the same ppd as my solo 2070S at 16x

1 hour ago, Suicide Squirrel said:

You're just referring to the full sized pcie slots? The system I'm running dual unlinked 2060's in run at 2x8x and still turn out the same ppd as my solo 2070S at 16x

Yes. The full size slots (x16 size) are what I was referring to. Risers are usually pcie x1. These do not have the bandwidth to give full ppd. If they did, I’d have a significantly higher ppd. You need pcie x4 to get full ppd. 

• Retired Lead Game Master

Hi everyone! Here are the April winners, sorry for the delay - an extra winner from 5 and 1 units were chosen! 

April 2020

🏆Here is our list of winners for Top 10🏆
1. HC_Psyblade with  71,480,408 points!
2. HC_LeatherPup with 
 60,283,870 points!
3. HC_honoraryorange with 
 51,489,953 points!
4. HC_Candidate with 
 47,660,320 points!
5. HC_Suicide_Squirrel with 
47,622,362 points!
6. HC_Ruhe with 
 41,453,143 points!
7. HC_Snowdaze with 
 39,632,689 points!
8. HC_CMOT_Dibbler with 
 35,710,296 points!
9. HC_Hartanna with 
 31,983,860 points!
10. HC_DeepShadow with 
 29,881,591 points!

Here is our list of random winners with 
at least 5 work units! 

1.  HC_Force_five

2.  HC_Aaronar

3.  HC_hisfilphynes

4.  HC_Sigma

5.  HC_Red_Thorn

6.  HC_Hourglass_Shard

7.  HC_Bullseye_Barbi-Q

8.  HC_Alexdaddy

9.  HC_bluedepth

10.  HC_Billy_Mailman

11. HC_Unknown_WhoDat

Here is our list of random winners with at least 1 work unit! 

1.  HC_thomas

2.  HC_Yukkuri

3.  HC_Egg_Man2

4.  HC_Maiden_Mayhem

5.  HC_Plasma_fury

6.  HC_tyrinia

7.  HC_Divinah

8.  HC_Hades

9.  HC_Karmic_Rage

10.  HC_JayboH

11. HC_Manburger

See you guys next month for more prizes! 

!! All winners please send me a pm with the costume you would like (it's account wide), thank you! !! 

Merits in the mail soon! 

• Thanks 2

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

On 5/5/2020 at 12:58 PM, Kililea said:

you do notice, that the top 10 isn't just the overall top 10, it's the top earners for the month.

5 hours ago, Suicide Squirrel said:

you do notice, that the top 10 isn't just the overall top 10, it's the top earners for the month.

Which is still the same people.  There is no way anyone currently folding that is below them will surpass them without spinning up more hardware.  We're all basically locked in to where we are at.

EDIT:  For example, to get into the 10th position you would currently have to earn more than 30 million points in one month...I'm only getting ~10 million a month and that won't change and I just got bumped out of the top 30.  I've been folding since this started.

EDIT 2: A different means of determining rank needs to used.  Even just dividing points by WUs reduces the gaps.  It actually shuffles the positions around quite a bit.

Edited by CodeJunkie

1 hour ago, CodeJunkie said:

Which is still the same people.  There is no way anyone currently folding that is below them will surpass them without spinning up more hardware.  We're all basically locked in to where we are at.

EDIT:  For example, to get into the 10th position you would currently have to earn more than 30 million points in one month...I'm only getting ~10 million a month and that won't change and I just got bumped out of the top 30.  I've been folding since this started.

EDIT 2: A different means of determining rank needs to used.  Even just dividing points by WUs reduces the gaps.  It actually shuffles the positions around quite a bit.

i wasn't a top 10 last month 😕 but i do get what you're saying

1 hour ago, CodeJunkie said:

Hey CodeJunkie, I understand it's frustrating that top 10 is out of your hardware's capability. This is exactly why I asked on March 22 before the first round of "winners" was decided, for them to ADD random winners from the rest of the folders. You are focused on the prize, not the goal! I can stop folding right now, so could any of us in the top 10 and give up these spots, but we are also the ones that carry the weight of the team. We are the ones that spend lots of money running our computers at full power all month long, pay to cool our houses from all the heat we generate, and give up our time playing games because it takes twice as long to finish a WU if we are playing.

Now Let me reiterate. This is about fighting a virus! Now if you would like to donate more of your time and money into folding proteins, I'm sure the community will aptly reward you.

Edited by Snowdaze
  • Thanks 1

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

49 minutes ago, Suicide Squirrel said:

i wasn't a top 10 last month 😕 but i do get what you're saying

Like suicide Squirrel, I was also outside the top 10 last month. So it’s not all the same people. 

48 minutes ago, Snowdaze said:

Hey CodeJunkie, I understand it's frustrating that top 10 is out of your hardware's capability. This is exactly why I asked on March 22 before the first round of "winners" was decided, for them to ADD random winners from the rest of the folders. You are focused on the prize, not the goal! I can stop folding right now, so could any of us in the top 10 and give up these spots, but we are also the ones that carry the weight of the team. We are the ones that spend lots of money running our computers at full power all month long, pay to cool our houses from all the heat we generate, and give up our time playing games because it takes twice as long to finish a WU if we are playing.

Now Let me reiterate. This is about fighting a virus! Now if you would like to donate more of your time and money into folding proteins, I'm sure the community will aptly reward you.

Snowdaze has said this really well so I won’t reiterate what he has said, but just stating that I agree. With everything he has said. 

There are other teams that will give you store credit to fold for them. I choose to be here to help this team. 

edit: Your recommendation of dividing points by work units would lead to people playing the system and hurt the overall progress of folding. People would just drop WU to get the best ratio and under those criteria you could be a top contributor with 1 WU which is unreasonable as well. 

In my opinion, if any change happens to the top ten rewards, it should be the bonus points to the top three get redistributed if those in the top three remain the same after 2 months. 

Edited by Psyblade
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations to the winners!  (would that be "Last Month's" or "for last month's folding"?)

just passed 21M points 🙂

.. and see where we have broken into the top 75 for the month (early though it is)!

• Like 1