Go. Fold. Kill Coronavirus. Join the Homecoming Folding@home Team Today!

Jimmy

Well, as this "home all day, every day" thing has continued, I've actually gotten to where I'm playing the game less. Even I can only play so much before my brain screams for something else to do. I've been playing my bass guitar a lot more than I had been, and I even bought an electric guitar and have been relearning a lot of the songs I used to play way back before the bass became my main instrument. Bought an interface that allows me to plug my instruments into my computer, and also a good vocal microphone, and I've been fooling with learning (slowly) how to do some recording.

In any case, playing the game less seems to have freed up my system resources and allowed for more Folding. I broke into the top 100 folders a few months ago, and after peaking at #93 I hovered in the mid-to-high 90s for quite a while. But since my playing has dropped off, I've cracked 90 and reached a new peak of 83, and have been loitering around the mid-80s ever since.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 2:33 PM, Mercy Mauser said:

Just an update, built a new rig, 8 core AMD 3rd gen, now running a Vega 64 which is a hot running beast and a tad noisy at high rpms. My goodness how much work it does, I run at max all the time, only med or light if I'm doing heavy lifting. Over 3.1 million and 251 work units. at this moment and it'll roll over on both CPU and GPU soonish. Happy to be helping the community and if any of this pays out in research its all to the better. I've been a couple decade SETI participant, and 6 other BOINC projects ran as screen savers. So Go. Fold. Kill Skullz.

Update: it's Friday and since last night there was no GPU load at all, CPU isn't covid related. Did we collectively knock out the computational projects? Is it just me?

6/11 4.4 million points and 296 units is my current total.

6/18 6,386,757 points and  394 units.

Glad to see you have new hardware running. Due to all of the people folding, sometimes there is a pause in work units, especially GPU ones. They have been pretty good at keeping them flowing lately though. 

I have a good bit of hardware idled right now. I was doing a minor update to it, had to order something than got a pinched nerve so I can’t do much of anything for close to two weeks now. 

On 6/20/2020 at 5:55 PM, Mercy Mauser said:

Psyblade I hope you feel better soon, its been a couple decades but a pinched nerve laid me up for 2 months, you have my sympathies.

Thanks for the thoughts. It’s been about 2 weeks so far. It’s getting better but I am only comfortable in one chair in the house and even then only for a short time period. I’m so over it. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2020 at 8:57 AM, Psyblade said:

Thanks for the thoughts. It’s been about 2 weeks so far. It’s getting better but I am only comfortable in one chair in the house and even then only for a short time period. I’m so over it. 

Wish you well and hope it gets better!

I can definitely empathize - I have been suffering from the effects of a car accident for about 6 years now (neck - lotta bashed up stuff and disks destroyed now... plus pinched nerves and some problems with the spinal cord itself... yay drunk drivers!), so I know how it feels to just *NOT* have a 'good' place/position; everything is just varying degrees of discomfort.  Take care of it and don't push yourself - pinched/damaged nerves aren't like muscles; you can't John Wayne through it without messing things up worse.

Just for anyone questioning my involvement here I haven't taken ANY rewards at all for my folding, and I have DMS to miss supporting this fact each month. This is bullshit, point blank. I would encourage anyone actually wanting to help to swap teams. People who use "outside" hardware to boost their rating and claim that it's theirs should be removed from the list. Do what you want.

Edited by Suicide Squirrel
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Suicide Squirrel said:

Just for anyone questioning my involvement here I haven't taken ANY rewards at all for my folding, and I have DMS to miss supporting this fact each month. This is bullshit, point blank. I would encourage anyone actually wanting to help to swap teams. People who use "outside" hardware to boost their rating and claim that it's theirs should be removed from the list. Do what you want.

I'm currently rank 125. Um, who might I ask is this directed at? Folks at the top of the table? I'll slowly get closer to that end of the chart but never get there. A bit mining rig might give that kind of processing and I'm not going there, nor a dual processor server board. Not this kid.

There are two or three cossies I'd love to get my sticky little fingers on, but it doesn't seem likely.

Edited by Mercy Mauser

12 hours ago, Suicide Squirrel said:

Folding is done for the benefit of humanity. Rewards from folding should never be the prime concern of anyone involved. No one should ever use “outside” hardware unless they have the express consent to do so and ideally covering the power cost, at a minimum, for said “outside” hardware. 

I wouldn’t say that they should be disqualified from rewards because of it only because of how difficult it is to patrol or prove. But using outside hardware to win rewards that you can easily earn in game for far less effort/time/money seems like an odd choice. Especially when other folding teams are offering actual dollars to fold for them. 

On the hardware side, I can easily provide pictures of my hardware if anyone desires. 

1 hour ago, Psyblade said:

Folding is done for the benefit of humanity. Rewards from folding should never be the prime concern of anyone involved. No one should ever use “outside” hardware unless they have the express consent to do so and ideally covering the power cost, at a minimum, for said “outside” hardware. 

I wouldn’t say that they should be disqualified from rewards because of it only because of how difficult it is to patrol or prove. But using outside hardware to win rewards that you can easily earn in game for far less effort/time/money seems like an odd choice. Especially when other folding teams are offering actual dollars to fold for them. 

On the hardware side, I can easily provide pictures of my hardware if anyone desires. 

Likewise.  All of my hardware is owned by me and in my own home.  Computing is my hobby and has been for a very long time.  I shudder to think how much money I have spent on it since I started back in the x386 days.  As an aside, no one in the CoH community has any crazy daily points total.  Nothing that couldn't be explained by a couple of nice graphics cards at least.   

@Psybladeasked for specs for this build a while back, I forgot to post after I got it all working.   

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

Asus Prime x570 Pro  motherboard

32Gb Gskill 3600 RAM

NVidia GeForce 2080 Super

1TB nVME main OS drive

2TB nVME drive for games

2x 4TB WD Red Backup drives in Raid 0

Water cooling for CPU and GPU

Edited by Ura Hero

1 hour ago, Ura Hero said:

Likewise.  All of my hardware is owned by me and in my own home.  Computing is my hobby and has been for a very long time.  I shudder to think how much money I have spent on it since I started back in the x386 days.  As an aside, no one in the CoH community has any crazy daily points total.  Nothing that couldn't be explained by a couple of nice graphics cards at least.   

@Psybladeasked for specs for this build a while back, I forgot to post after I got it all working.   

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

Asus Prime x570 Pro  motherboard

32Gb Gskill 3600 RAM

NVidia GeForce 2080 Super

1TB nVME main OS drive

2TB nVME drive for games

2x 4TB WD Red Backup drives in Raid 0

Water cooling for CPU and GPU

I hear you spending too much over the years. I really don’t want to know what my total is. My total was n graphics cards alone from a few years ago is eye watering.

I’m going to see a big ppd bump in the next few days. Assuming I get my folding rig back up since I’m mostly over my pinched nerve. 

that’s a nice rig. The new ryzen chips are very nice. 

How much increase are you guys actually seeing in your electric bills?  I've had 2 bills since I started at the end of April and even with running a room AC more often than I'd like this past month because my room is now a bit too warm, I'm not seeing much more than usual.

2 hours ago, SerialBeggar said:

How much increase are you guys actually seeing in your electric bills?  I've had 2 bills since I started at the end of April and even with running a room AC more often than I'd like this past month because my room is now a bit too warm, I'm not seeing much more than usual.

I’m an outlier, but I’m at an increase of $150-$200 when folding at 100% 24/7. 

9 hours ago, SerialBeggar said:

I'm barely seeing any difference -- comparing year-to-year it's close to a wash. 

On 6/28/2020 at 1:31 PM, SerialBeggar said:

None as I dont leave my PC on when not using it. I'm still folding, but only when I'm using my PC anyway.

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

• Retired Lead Game Master

Hi everyone! Here are the June winners.

March Winners

April Winners

May Winners

June Winners

June 2020

🏆Here is our list of winners for Top 10🏆
1. HC_Psyblade with 117,901,529 points!
2. HC_Ruhe with
 98,991,846 points!
3. HC_Ura_Hero with 98,585,870 points!
4. HC_MChemManiac with  89,720,345 points!
5. HC_CMOT_Dibbler with 79,914,168  points!
6. HC_Malohin with 74,975,080 points!
7. HC_Some_Girl with 71,182,484 points!
8. HC_Icee_Bear with 60,050,108 points!
9. HC_Super_Sloth with 53,395,044 points!
HC_Count_Midnight with 53,242,377 points!

Here is our list of random winners with 
at least 5 work units! 

HC_Shaladar
HC_Corlagon
HC_Origins
HC_Billy_Mailman
HC_Dragonchel
HC_Eowyyn
HC_Slynestra
HC_Merryl
HC_Force_of_Heaven
HC_Luigrein

Here is our list of random winners with at least 1 work unit! 

HC_Crimson_Jet
HC_Lectric_Lad
HC_Greely
HC_TheGuuch
HC_Skoryy
HC_Hardship
HC_Justice_Blues
HC_Cynical_Mage
HC_Legion_of_One
HC_Yukkuri

See you guys next month for more prizes! 

>> Check costumes out here! <<
!! All winners please send me a pm with the costume you would like (it's account wide and will be located in the P2W vendor), thank you !! 

!! Merits in the mail soon - located under character items !!

Edited by GM Miss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?