Go. Fold. Kill Coronavirus. Join the Homecoming Folding@home Team Today!

Jimmy

I'd also like to post this here as a plea to the admin, in case my discord posts had been missed, and in return I won't spam discord any more with my opinion on such. But as a current top 10 runner, and I don't know what the future holds as some with faster machines then me may pass me who knows, feel that since this is a humanitarian effort to benefit global health as a whole, there should be some randomly rewarded costume powers as well. All participating should have a chance at the real "prize". Merits are nice, but farmable. This should be for cooperation to fight against a mutual threat. Not a who's got the most powerful gaming rig, or who can afford a server farm.

Thank you all who know you have older machines and won't make the top 10 but you are resolved to complete and turn in Work Unit's anyway.

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

They must still be having server issues.  One of my machines will say (in the Advanced View) something like Attempts: 11, next attempt: 1 hour 56 minutes.  Even if I do get a work unit, it will go to the GPU and not CPU more than half the time.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

Been a few hours, and it's failed to download a packet...so that's kind of a handicap for those trying to get rewards...

my global is Scarlett Angel. When I signed up for Folding, I put HC_ScarlettAngel. If by some unknown act I should actually *FINALLY* be able to download packets and start, will I receive credit towards any of the rewards? Or do I need to go back in and try to edit my Folding name?

global.JPG

folding.JPG

4 minutes ago, Xandyr said:

Been a few hours, and it's failed to download a packet...so that's kind of a handicap for those trying to get rewards...

my global is Scarlett Angel. When I signed up for Folding, I put HC_ScarlettAngel. If by some unknown act I should actually *FINALLY* be able to download packets and start, will I receive credit towards any of the rewards? Or do I need to go back in and try to edit my Folding name?

global.JPG

if you haven't actually completed a WU yet now is the perfect time to change your name to HC_Scarlett_Angel, as you will not have any progress to loose. you can do that in the configure menu of the advanced control

44 minutes ago, Snowdaze said:

if you haven't actually completed a WU yet now is the perfect time to change your name to HC_Scarlett_Angel, as you will not have any progress to loose. you can do that in the configure menu of the advanced control

Done. Thanks!

folding1.JPG

On 3/19/2020 at 12:10 PM, Jimmy said:

Set your username to "HC_YourGlobalHandle"

• This is your in-game global chat handle (generally seen with an @ sign in front of it)
  • Please replace any spaces in your global handle with additional underscores (eg: @Home Folder would become HC_Home_Folder)
  • It is very important that you set up your username correctly or we will not be able to track your contributions and award you your prizes!

FYI, the Mac desktop client does not appear to accept '_' as a valid character. Attempting to type it produces '=' instead.

I was however able to type the correct username in another program and copy/paste it into the field.

Edited by KeepDistance

wow...OVER 9 hours, and STILL haven't gotten the first packet/download.

I set mine for FULL POWER and "While I'm Working". About to head to bed, but leaving PC on. Do I need to change a setting or something, or are Folding's servers THAT overwhelmed?

Edited by Xandyr

On 3/19/2020 at 8:42 PM, KingofMonkeys said:

No Shave Coronavirus? Who wants to grow beards and grow barbarian haircuts to promote that quarantine lifestyle?

Man, I'm almost 54 and still can't grow a beard outside of a goatee. And ... I just shaved my head.

Well anyway, getting this thing set up is becoming annoying, and I hope it's just the server load that is causing it and it will eventually work.

I got the client installed on this Windows gaming rig, but it keeps "timing out" every time I try to open the Web Control. So, I set up my username, HC_RikOz, and team number in the client itself (from the Advanced Control menu option). I requested a Passkey, which they still haven't sent me, despite two requests sent ~four hours apart. Looking at the Protein Viewer, after several hours the Status window still shows "Connection: Trying" and it's just displaying the Demo protein.

Meanwhile, my old iMac has been sitting here doing absolutely nothing, so I fired it up and installed the client there. the Web Control connected on the first try, so I was able to enter my username and team number there and get things started. Firing up the Protein Viewer, the Status window already shows "Connection: Connected", though it seems to be still loading the protein. That's only been a few minutes at this point, though.

So I have no idea why my 2-year-old Windows 10 machine can't connect, but my 11-year-old iMac hooked right up.

EDIT: Looking closer, it seems my Windows machine is indeed doing its thing. It's just the viewer not wanting to work.

Edited by RikOz

2 hours ago, RikOz said:

Man, I'm almost 54 and still can't grow a beard outside of a goatee. And ... I just shaved my head.

Well anyway, getting this thing set up is becoming annoying, and I hope it's just the server load that is causing it and it will eventually work.

I got the client installed on this Windows gaming rig, but it keeps "timing out" every time I try to open the Web Control. So, I set up my username, HC_RikOz, and team number in the client itself (from the Advanced Control menu option). I requested a Passkey, which they still haven't sent me, despite two requests sent ~four hours apart. Looking at the Protein Viewer, after several hours the Status window still shows "Connection: Trying" and it's just displaying the Demo protein.

Meanwhile, my old iMac has been sitting here doing absolutely nothing, so I fired it up and installed the client there. the Web Control connected on the first try, so I was able to enter my username and team number there and get things started. Firing up the Protein Viewer, the Status window already shows "Connection: Connected", though it seems to be still loading the protein. That's only been a few minutes at this point, though.

So I have no idea why my 2-year-old Windows 10 machine can't connect, but my 11-year-old iMac hooked right up.

EDIT: Looking closer, it seems my Windows machine is indeed doing its thing. It's just the viewer not wanting to work.

FYI the " Viewer" has been borked for a long time.. and yes the WU servers are getting SLAMMED right now. If you read the forums on F@H they was just putting out like 1,000 WU a day , now they are trying to pump out like 100,000 WU's. They are getting more servers up, it just takes time. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aculei said:

So basically whoever has the most powerful machine is the only one who gets the costume power each month?

or multiple machines, yes, and of course whoever started it way before this was announced has a giant lead

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

I've joined up as HC_slithershot. 

I see some people are running their GPU. My CPU is chugging away, but my GPU just says ready. Is there a way to engage both of them that I'm not seeing?

Edit: nvm, they both workin now

Edited by Pizzamurai

1 hour ago, sescheraun said:

Has anyone else had an issue with their security code just not showing up?  I am sending to a gmail account and it is not in my spam folder.

It took hours and hours, but mine was in my inbox this morning.

6 hours ago, Nex said:

Uhm, main-goal of this is to find a cure for Corona. The rewards and stuff are a giveaway.

Then don't have rewards and a leaderboard? I dunno, sure looks like a competition is being held about contributing. 🙄

• City Council
7 hours ago, JayboH said:

or multiple machines, yes, and of course whoever started it way before this was announced has a giant lead

Not an issue as points accumulate on a per-username, per-team basis. No points before this was announced count towards the scores.

46 minutes ago, Aculei said:

Then don't have rewards and a leaderboard? I dunno, sure looks like a competition is being held about contributing. 🙄

The primary goal here is to contribute to Folding@home. The rewards and leaderboard are an incentive and some friendly competition to encourage more contributions 🙂

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• City Council

Details on the new prizes:

• 10 randomly chosen contributors with at least 5 Work Units complete (outside the top 10) each month will receive 500 Reward Merits and a permanent costume power of their choice
  • 10 randomly-chosen contributors with at least 1 Work Unit complete (outside the top 10) each month will receive 500 Reward Merits and a permanent costume power of their choice

The above have replaced the 10 x 500 Merits random draws.

Some stats from the first few days:

• Nearly 300 contributors have joined the team
  • Over 100 million points have been earned with over 4,500 Work Units completed
  • We're already in the top 1,000 teams for the entire month of March
  • More stats here
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

• 10 randomly chosen contributors with at least 5 Work Units complete (outside the top 10) each month will receive 500 Reward Merits and a permanent costume power of their choice
  • 10 randomly-chosen contributors with at least 1 Work Unit complete (outside the top 10) each month will receive 500 Reward Merits and a permanent costume power of their choice

Stay Classy homecoming team. 🖖

I don't even understand how people are getting 2 million points when it's taking me all day just to do one work thing lol. 

Edited by Pizzamurai

10 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Some stats from the first few days:

• Nearly 300 contributors have joined the team
  • Over 100 million points have been earned with over 4,500 Work Units completed
  • We're already in the top 1,000 teams for the entire month of March
  • More stats here

I appreciate being heard! Proteins I will continue to fold!