Go. Fold. Kill Coronavirus. Join the Homecoming Folding@home Team Today!

Jimmy

1 hour ago, Pizzamurai said:

Stay Classy homecoming team. 🖖

I don't even understand how people are getting 2 million points when it's taking me all day just to do one work thing lol. 

Super rigs tuned for folding (or anything that uses GPUs for calculations), and probably multiple rigs working in tandem.

• Like 1

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

I finally registered (like others have posted, it took almost a day to get a passkey), but I have yet to get a work unit. Logs look like:

20:16:50:WU01:FS00:Connecting to 65.254.110.245:8080
20:16:50:WARNING:WU01:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '65.254.110.245:8080': No WUs available for this configuration
20:16:50:WU01:FS00:Connecting to 18.218.241.186:80
20:16:51:WARNING:WU01:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': No WUs available for this configuration
20:16:51:ERROR:WU01:FS00:Exception: Could not get an assignment

Hopefully this will pass as they get more capacity.

51 minutes ago, JayboH said:

I don't think I've gotten a WU since yesterday.

I sure does seem like it takes a while. My #2 computer has made 17 attempts to fetch a new work order since finishing the last one. I guess this is more of that server overload.

OK, so count me as an old guy what doesn't QUITE get it.  Sounds like we're setting up our systems to help with  larger calculations over a broad network?  Not sure, as I don't know what "fold" means.  Complete guess, after reading this topic.

So, do our systems need to be on all the time?  What are the requirements? 

While I appreciate the thought behind this, there's too many questions yet to be answered for me.  Feel free to tell me that squares aren't welcome, I won't be offended, but would definitely want to help, if I understood how...

(And I'm no dummy, I built this machine, just don't necessarily follow every new online tech...)

I'm new to folding so I have some questions.... A lot of the time my system seems to be sitting idle with no work, and at other times it seems to be give work I don't get any credit for... I'll see a note in the application log that says something like FS01:Final credit estimate, 71156.00 points,  but actual points awarded are zero. 

I'm also curious when the stats at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/243287 update?  I currently have 49,143 points worth of work I actually received credit for but don't seem to show up in the rankings at all. 

Edit: It's also a little disappointing that I have earned less then 50K points in 15 hours when the program was estimating I could generate a million points in a day.   

Edited by Darthwxman

12 minutes ago, Darthwxman said:

I'm new to folding so I have some questions.... A lot of the time my system seems to be sitting idle with no work, and at other times it seems to be give work I don't get any credit for... I'll see a note in the application log that says something like FS01:Final credit estimate, 71156.00 points,  but actual points awarded are zero. 

I'm also curious when the stats at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/243287 update?  I currently have 49,143 points worth of work I actually received credit for but don't seem to show up in the rankings at all. 

Edit: It's also a little disappointing that I have earned less then 50K points in 15 hours when the program was estimating I could generate a million points in a day.   

I started early yesterday. My PC has stayed on the entire time since. I set it to "Full Power" and "While I'm working" and haven't turned my PC off. In about 36 hours, I have received 1 WU for my PC to work on. If it would actually send me these WU's for my PC to work on/solve, I could actually contribute. But no....only 1 in over 36 hours.This is ridiculous.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Details on the new prizes:

• 10 randomly chosen contributors with at least 5 Work Units complete (outside the top 10) each month will receive 500 Reward Merits and a permanent costume power of their choice
  • 10 randomly-chosen contributors with at least 1 Work Unit complete (outside the top 10) each month will receive 500 Reward Merits and a permanent costume power of their choice

The above have replaced the 10 x 500 Merits random draws.

Some stats from the first few days:

• Nearly 300 contributors have joined the team
  • Over 100 million points have been earned with over 4,500 Work Units completed
  • We're already in the top 1,000 teams for the entire month of March
  • More stats here

This is a lot more in the spirit of it all as an incentive.

I'm not trying to say that beefy machines shouldn't be able to win or anything, just that in my experience the community still run on a lot of older hardware - this way seems a lot more encouraging. Nice work.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jackanapesink said:

OK, so count me as an old guy what doesn't QUITE get it.  Sounds like we're setting up our systems to help with  larger calculations over a broad network?  Not sure, as I don't know what "fold" means.  Complete guess, after reading this topic.

So, do our systems need to be on all the time?  What are the requirements? 

While I appreciate the thought behind this, there's too many questions yet to be answered for me.  Feel free to tell me that squares aren't welcome, I won't be offended, but would definitely want to help, if I understood how...

(And I'm no dummy, I built this machine, just don't necessarily follow every new online tech...)

I'll try to explain it. First a little biology: proteins (aka the key) can take certain shapes depending on the components they have. The covid-19 virus also has a shape (aka the lock). What they are trying to do is find a protein that binds the covid-19 (aka a key for the lock). When the lock is opened it is not working anymore (so effective treatment for covid-19). Now to stimulate protein folding (what shape will they become after a component is changed) costs a lot of  computational power. And that is where the folders come in. The universities that do this kind of research don't have enough computer systems to fold fast. So every person who does folding for them at their computer(s) speed up the research.

The program only works when your computer is on. But rebooting your computer or putting it off for the night does not remove the work you done. The next log in you just continue with what you were folding. I've noticed that older computers need longer to fold and get less heavy jobs (which are still usefull, but give less points). So basically anyone can fold. Personally i just use my computer as I always do while folding in the background. My GPU get's used a lot so is somewhat warmer now. Personally i found that folding at medium works best for me.

A little sidenote because many of us are folding it sometimes takes longer to get a folding job.

Hope it is a bit more clear now.

Greetings

Sealdy

PS I love squares

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, sescheraun said:

I have looked a few times and cannot see my name as a doner or see what my stats are for the number of WU's I have completed.  Is there a way for the GMs to look me up?

@Do_not_use_this

When did you start folding? At the webcontrol you can see a more updated version of your points, but the look up info is lagging behind by a day or 2.

edit: I just checked and you are on the list with 18627 points and 6 wu.

Edited by Sealdy

Just now, Sealdy said:

When did you start folding? At the webcontrol you can see a more updated version of your points, but the look up info is lagging behind by a day or 2.

I started yesterday at about this time, maybe a little later.  And the webcontrol is not working for me at all.  It just refreshes every few seconds and shows no information.  And constantly says it's trying to connect to 127.0.0.1.

26 minutes ago, sescheraun said:

I started yesterday at about this time, maybe a little later.  And the webcontrol is not working for me at all.  It just refreshes every few seconds and shows no information.  And constantly says it's trying to connect to 127.0.0.1.

Ah that is a pity, but you work comes through. Keep up the good work.

33 minutes ago, sescheraun said:

Ok, jsut like seeing my progress.

You probably have no progress.  It sounds like you have the same issue as a lot of us:  their servers are having an impossible time serving all of us work units and you haven't gotten one sent to you yet due to the strain.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

4 minutes ago, JayboH said:

You probably have no progress.  It sounds like you have the same issue as a lot of us:  their servers are having an impossible time serving all of us work units and you haven't gotten one sent to you yet due to the strain.

He's on the homecoming list so he has progress.

1 hour ago, sescheraun said:

Are you using Chrome? If so try using a different browser. Mine did the constant refresh when using Chrome, but works fine on Edge. 

34 minutes ago, JayboH said:

What "power" level are you set at? I seem to get more work at medium then high for some reason. Could just be coincidence though. 

1 hour ago, Darthwxman said:

What "power" level are you set at? I seem to get more work at medium then high for some reason. Could just be coincidence though. 

Medium on all machines.  They get WU but it's pretty rare.  They go hours without fairly often.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

13 hours ago, sescheraun said:

Tried to turn on the web interface this evening and it just constantly refreshes and keeps waiting for 127.0.0.1.    Anyone seen a solution to this?

I dont know if we have the same problem, but this is how I fixed mine.  IF you are using chrome,  push F12 , then right click the " refresh " button, then click  " clear the cache and hard reload "

4 hours ago, Ausseke said:

I dont know if we have the same problem, but this is how I fixed mine.  IF you are using chrome,  push F12 , then right click the " refresh " button, then click  " clear the cache and hard reload "

I use Firefox, and the problem I'm having is that it keeps timing out while trying to connect to the app. I'm starting to suspect some Windows security feature is blocking things up. When I set up on my Mac, the Web Control connected immediately on the first try (though it did start going whacko later).