Go. Fold. Kill Coronavirus. Join the Homecoming Folding@home Team Today!

Jimmy

29 minutes ago, SerialBeggar said:

Well...  After the latest crash, the HWMonitor program recorded the max temperature on my CPU was 201F and GPU was 168F.  I was playing COH at the same time Folding was running both CPU & GPU at the medium setting.

On a lark, I decided to get a mirror and flashlight to take a peek around the back at my CPU's water cooler radiator fan to see if it was clogged with dust.  Nope, it still looked clean, but the fan wasn't spinning !!!  I guess that's the problem.  I think the pump still works because I have noticed over the past few months, the water cooler would make some gurgling sounds every now and then.  I wonder how long it's been dead.  I've set up an external fan to blow on the radiator for now.

Yep, that temp is the reason for it.  Check temps with the external fan on it.  It could still be the pump.  Pump failures are never fun.  Thankfully computers no longer fry themselves like in the old days.

4 hours ago, ps2man32 said:

Yep, that temp is the reason for it.  Check temps with the external fan on it.  It could still be the pump.  Pump failures are never fun.  Thankfully computers no longer fry themselves like in the old days.

but think of the mystery and suspense you are missing out on because they don't! 😉 

just kidding of course - had it happen myself.  Nothing like missing a deadline because your computer smoked itself!

seriously though - Get the CUPID HWMonitor program.  Free, low overhead and accurate.  And with all the data it displays, helps you see a number of issues at a glance instead of having to do that long diagnostic search!

• Retired Lead Game Master

Hi everyone! I am so impressed with the work you guys have accomplished this month! 

March 2020

🏆Here is our list of winners for Top 10🏆
1. HC_honoraryorange with  18,282,782 points!
2. HC_LeatherPup with 
13,505,042 points!
3. HC_Snowdaze with 
12,458,888 points!
4. HC_Ruhe with 
10,977,720 points!
5. HC_Logoriel with 
9,123,071 points!
6. HC_Hartanna with 
8,752,514 points!
7. HC_Swift_Shock with 
7,686,864 points!
8. HC_Hemlock with 
6,291,632 points!
9. HC_Ecliptix with 
6,010,200 points!
10. HC_LT._Couper with 
5,747,363 points!

Here is our list of random winners with
at least 5 work units! 

1.  HC_Felis_Noctu

2.  HC_Alexdaddy 

3.  HC_DarqClaw 

4.  HC_Aunt_Bunny

5.  HC_Scarlett_Angel

6.  HC_MisterScott

7.  HC_Noone

8.  HC_DeepShadow

9.  HC_SamsonKnight

10.  HC_Mind_Forever_Burning

Here is our list of random winners with at least 1 work unit! 

1.  HC_Liquid_Water

2.  HC_Black_Light

3.  HC_Irish_Cop

4.  HC_DrugOfTheDemon

5.  HC_Mystical_Bovine

6.  HC_Unknown_Magi

7.  HC_KANE47

8.  HC_Available_Light

9.  HC_Warrior2

10.  HC_BelleMort

See you guys next month for more prizes! 

!! All winners please send me the costume you would like, thank you! !!

Edited by GM Miss
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

All winners will be shown to the costume they like. The costume will then award itself to the player it finds most pleasing!

... also, sure, NOW one of my machines is getting plenty of WUs for both CPU and GPU. (Pity it's the slower laptop.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Congrats all!

whew... the DO set the bar pretty high, don't they! O.o 

A friend of mine sent me something you all may appreciate: (attributed to Mat Krahn)

We all have Schrodinger's Virus Now...

... because we cannot get tested; we cannot know if we have COVID-19 or not.

but... we must act as if we have the virus so that we don't spread it to others.

yet, we must also act as if we don't have it and stay separated because if we DON'T have it, we aren't immune.

Thus we act as both we have and do NOT have it while not being able to know either one!

Thus... Schrodinger's Virus!

(if you don't understand this, you cannot comment on science issues anymore!)

Congrats everybody.

So a little remark for the election of the winners for next month (this will not change my folding habits, just putting it out there): there are a lot of people folding and well for most the top 10 is out of there league, having just 1 computer or so. So I would suggest not rewarding the same people every month. What i'm suggesting is selecting the top 10 not yet rewarded winners (because we are all winners for folding). And the 20 random winners also be not yet selected people.

Thanks for listening

Greetings

Sealdy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sealdy said:

Congrats everybody.

So a little remark for the election of the winners for next month (this will not change my folding habits, just putting it out there): there are a lot of people folding and well for most the top 10 is out of there league, having just 1 computer or so. So I would suggest not rewarding the same people every month. What i'm suggesting is selecting the top 10 not yet rewarded winners (because we are all winners for folding). And the 20 random winners also be not yet selected people.

Thanks for listening

Greetings

Sealdy

This might sound bad and greedy coming from me since it is projected I will be the number 1 contributor this month, but oh well.  I think that eliminating rewards for those in the top ten is not a good idea.  There are other folding teams that give out rewards as well and if the in game rewards are eliminated, people might switch teams.  I know that I would.  

With that being said, if you want to redistribute points from repeat top 10 winners, I think it would make more sense to only provide 500 merits to the top three winners and distribute the rest to others after winning 1 or 2 months in a row.

I agree that having the 20 random winners not repeat.  To keep the incentive, I would think a scale making it more likely for people to get the random rewards if they haven't gotten it and less likely if they have gotten it or gotten it recently.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 5:37 AM, Sealdy said:

Congrats everybody.

Thanks for listening

Greetings

Sealdy

I kind of agree. I would like it best if everyone could be rewarded, or as I suggested earlier, reward everyone who crosses a certain threshold... but baring that, it seems counterproductive to reward the same handful of folders again and again and again, while everyone else has the same chance of getting rewarded randomly whether they did 5 work units or 200. 

• Like 2

I love that we continue to climb in the rankings!  You all are awesome!

... and some humor to make things a bit better (hopefully won't get me in trouble, too out of it to remember the rules on posting):

a2b_petchew.jpg

847_jumanji.jpg

This is totally the wrong place for this... but.......

Can we start a petition to de-couple the Halloween costumes from Stealth powers in a soon-future patch? 🙂 Toggling them on de-toggles stealth/invis/cloudy stealth type powers/etc. This makes for sad pandas. So sad. Very sad.

😭

^ see?

thx!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 8:37 AM, Sealdy said:

Congrats everybody.

Thanks for listening

Greetings

Sealdy

On 4/8/2020 at 3:33 AM, Darthwxman said:

I kind of agree. I would like it best if everyone could be rewarded, or as I suggested earlier, reward everyone who crosses a certain threshold... but baring that, it seems counterproductive to reward the same handful of folders again and again and again, while everyone else has the same chance of getting rewarded randomly whether they did 5 work units or 200. 

I would like to propose that rewards be handled like achievement badges, e.g the damage received achievement badges. Reward merits and/or costumes can be distributed based on total folded points and/or total folded work units. Rewarding both points and units will reward both those who use better hardware and those who use more hardware to produce work units.

A reward structure like this would allow people to contribute until they've reached the reward point that they want. This *is not* a suggestion to create in-game badges for F@H contributions as F@H is very much a pay-to-win competition and badges should not be pay-to-win. Creating a reward progression structure is a fairer solution for everyone, as it would allow people to eventually earn all of the rewards, even if their hardware or the amount of money and time (electric bill) they can donate to the project varies. It would also be in the spirit of City of Heroes as it would mirror the already existing achievement badge progressions.

Edited by Ruhe
  • Like 5

I have a sucky slow machine, in fact, it is the same machine (upgraded OS and video card) that I ran "Live" CoH on, so I fold to help out and show support for the community. That being said, I think that rewards should be based on who folds the most. The most folds (measured in work units or points or whatever) wins for the month. Does that mean that the same people will probably win every month? Yeah, it probably does.  Costume contests probably have the same small pool of winners too. There nothing wrong with that.

Does that that mean that my ONLY chance of winning is the random draw?  It sure does.  And that's ok.

On 4/11/2020 at 2:36 PM, Ruhe said:

I would like to propose that rewards be handled like achievement badges, e.g the damage received achievement badges. Reward merits and/or costumes can be distributed based on total folded points and/or total folded work units. Rewarding both points and units will reward both those who use better hardware and those who use more hardware to produce work units.

A reward structure like this would allow people to contribute until they've reached the reward point that they want. This *is not* a suggestion to create in-game badges for F@H contributions as F@H is very much a pay-to-win competition and badges should not be pay-to-win. Creating a reward progression structure is a fairer solution for everyone, as it would allow people to eventually earn all of the rewards, even if their hardware or the amount of money and time (electric bill) they can donate to the project varies. It would also be in the spirit of City of Heroes as it would mirror the already existing achievement badge progressions.

I like this idea but it seems very heavy on work for the GMs for awarding the rewards...

• Like 1

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

• Jimmy featured this topic

Well I'm down atm, my open loop pump/reservoir on my main gaming rig had a failure and I had to order a new one. Hopefully it didn't damage my 3950x if it did then I'll be out the $750 for the cpu in addition to the $170 for the new pump :/, still got a third 2060 ko ultra on the way though to add to the arsenal. I'll be up to 3 of them by friday. shiz getting expensive XD. climb while you can I'll be back in full force on friday.

ahh man - that stinks, S-S !!  I feel your pain - my rig is limping along and can't afford to fix/upgrade.

wish I still had my home network setup - then I would give you a run for your money! lol!  That or could figure out a way to get this old Sun Sparkserver setup and going - no gpu to speak of but that RISC processor would probably kick pretty well

gpu's yield the best point gains because of their vastly superior floating point operations/calc's per second, my 3950x would get me about 9k-12k points per wu and take twice as long to process than my 2070s which would gain 150K-200K per wu, basically the point gain is determined by their benchmark system which i believe is powered by a 1060 base model then how much more quickly and efficiently your system runs "comparable" wu scales up the multiplier. this is why I have been sourcing as many evga 2060 ko ultra's as i can. evga has been putting tu104 dies in these cards, it's the same die that's in the 2080 and my 2070S, they have fused off the "gaming/gfx" side of the die to limit performance to that of a regular 2060 but left the workstation features intact. these features that weren't fused off vastly improve 2 things I'm interested in and that is F@H and crypto mining. https://www.tech-critter.com/evga-rtx-2060-ko-tu104-150-rtx-2080/   

at $300 a pop or $320 for the ultra, their gold to me

Edited by Suicide-Squirrel