Wealth - How to spend?

Obus Form

4 hours ago, Bopper said:

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I'm also a main-aholic with wealth (not too crazy, but maybe 3 billion spread over a few toons).

It that's something you like to do, take on puzzles to solve, you might try the route I took in creating new Alts, but not for the purpose of Alt-itis, but the challenge of creating the best build possible

Below is a detailed infographic of the spectrum of COH players:

MinMax-itis <-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Alt-itis

You have MinMax-itis.  This condition appears in about 20% of all CoX players.  Worry not kind sir @Bopper, in my PhD MD MBA JD PEng and 19 lunch-time-certificate expert opinion, tis but a natural by-product of Big Brain Power (BBP) and Life-Winning-Itis.   Both of these secondary conditions attract mates of your desire.  

I spent about 200 hours into Mid's to min/max Defender Kin/Sonic -res +buff builds, only to 50/IO it, then shelve it after not seeing damage numbers.  Can you suggest a MinMax Controller build and a reason to actually play controllers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Obus Form said:

You have MinMax-itis

Now that I have it diagnosed, I can finally seek proper treatment 🙂

7 minutes ago, Obus Form said:

Can you suggest a MinMax Controller build and a reason to actually play controllers?

I can't. The only thing I am less interested in playing than a controller is a stalker. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I can't believe it's taken me so long to see the value of Amplifiers from P2W at all levels.  It's a good inf sink that doesn't just move value from liquidity to non-liquid assets (like packs, which tend to actually increase total FMV of your in-game portfolio).

Bonus - I can actually make builds with a "free" 5% def and 7% resist and arguably never take Clarion again (my standard for squishes).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

I can't believe it's taken me so long to see the value of Amplifiers from P2W at all levels.  It's a good inf sink that doesn't just move value from liquidity to non-liquid assets (like packs, which tend to actually increase total FMV of your in-game portfolio).

Bonus - I can actually make builds with a "free" 5% def and 7% resist and arguably never take Clarion again (my standard for squishes).

That's a good mention.  Ty.

Indeed, once I discovered that 5% def, I started going to 40% on some brutes and dirtily bought my way to softcap.

Edit:

I think you can also buy up to Mag 3 (or was it mag 4?) mezz protection.  @Hedgefund forgot though, can you stack these buff to 6 hours, or just 1 hour?

Edited by Obus Form

2 minutes ago, Obus Form said:

can you stack these buff to 6 hours, or just 1 hour?

You can purchase 8 1-hour buffs (like the xp booster).

So if you stay on top of it you don't have to worry about it running out at inopportune times like the SG empowerment buffs.  I indirectly mentioned the mag 4 mez protection of the defense amplifier when saying I could skip Clarion on squishes (unless I'm going for the +special).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Obus Form said:

That's a good mention.  Ty.

Indeed, once I discovered that 5% def, I started going to 40% on some brutes and dirtily bought my way to softcap.

Edit:

I think you can also buy up to Mag 3 (or was it mag 4?) mezz protection.  @Hedgefund forgot though, can you stack these buff to 6 hours, or just 1 hour?

Mag 4, and you can stack up to eight hours.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Pizzamurai said:

The bigger question, as someone with serious alt-itis, is how do you guys make so much money? Like, 1 billion per week? Are you making it by like fire farming or are you playing the AH and stepping on a bunch of little guys to keep the prices up and your profits large or... selling yourself in pocket d?

I was making that kind of money for a short while. I spent an hour or two a day buying unpopular recipes and turning them into popular enhancements. I made 100% profit on every item and turned over at least 1/2 my stock every 24 hours. Eventually I ended up with an enhancement factory! I packed it in because I had more inf than I needed and I didn't want to spend that much time trading.

"Stepping on a bunch of little guys" wasn't involved. The main consequence of what I did was that impatient people could sell unwanted stuff right now at a slightly higher price and buy the things they wanted right now at a slightly lower price.

The little guy can always make more inf per trade than the marketeer. For example, if he's trying to buy the same thing as me, he can see how much I'm bidding because the price is in the last 5. So he just bids 1 inf more and bags the next recipe before me. I'm always bidding as low as possible so the little guy is guaranteed to get a good price. Likewise with selling. I'm selling around the upper-mid price because I need to sell a lot in a reasonable time. The little guy can wait longer and sell for more. If he's buying he can bid less than I sell at and get a bargain.

Give it a go some time and you'll see what I mean.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gremlin said:

I was making that kind of money for a short while. I spent an hour or two a day buying unpopular recipes and turning them into popular enhancements. I made 100% profit on every item and turned over at least 1/2 my stock every 24 hours. Eventually I ended up with an enhancement factory! I packed it in because I had more inf than I needed and I didn't want to spend that much time trading.

"Stepping on a bunch of little guys" wasn't involved. The main consequence of what I did was that impatient people could sell unwanted stuff right now at a slightly higher price and buy the things they wanted right now at a slightly lower price.

The little guy can always make more inf per trade than the marketeer. For example, if he's trying to buy the same thing as me, he can see how much I'm bidding because the price is in the last 5. So he just bids 1 inf more and bags the next recipe before me. I'm always bidding as low as possible so the little guy is guaranteed to get a good price. Likewise with selling. I'm selling around the upper-mid price because I need to sell a lot in a reasonable time. The little guy can wait longer and sell for more. If he's buying he can bid less than I sell at and get a bargain.

Give it a go some time and you'll see what I mean.

I've been trying my hand at it. Converting seems to be working really well (Found a guide and been following it), and since it's a mechanic that's turning an unwanted enhancement into something highly desired I don't feel like a piece of trash exploiting people with no money. Instead I'm exploiting the rich and impatient, like you said. I'm dandy with that 🙂

It's not instant gratification influence like fire farming is... but a steady stream. And it doesn't make my eyes bleed. Cheers. 

On 3/24/2020 at 5:00 AM, Bopper said:

So long story short, I decided to spend my wealth on pet projects that allow me to min/max new ATs that I can have in my arsenal. Next I plan to make a Blaster of some type, maybe a Ice/Atom that I can turn into a hybrid (which I like to do with my characters), that can both bring the damage while bringing control.

It that's something you like to do, take on puzzles to solve, you might try the route I took in creating new Alts, but not for the purpose of Alt-itis, but the challenge of creating the best build possible

If I'm not giving Inf to PUGmates who lack mission teleport powers, I'm equipping alts (either new characters, or 2nd/3rd builds) with (often) 'pricey' (**) IOs to try out new concepts. Many times my concepts are somewhat far from maximum efficiency, but with the right sets they become quite enjoyable.

These days: my market efforts barely qualify as such. The SG base has tables of the commonly used IOs, as well as a generous supply of catalysts, PVP and Purple pieces. When I'm starting a new concept, one of the alts will fund/buy/convert the ATO (and rarely Winter) pieces I want for the new toon and then drop 200M inf to the toon to use as it levels up. By the time that new toon has hit 50, it will have plenty of Inf to support the next one in the cycle. I've found that 200M has been enough 'seed money' to buy the desired P2W powers and also be immune to concerns about auxiliary costs like the AH listing costs, crafting fees, costume updates. It is certainly possible to start with much less and AH yourself to much more, although the increase in uncommon salvage prices (by 10x) has slowed down efforts on new toons to craft their way to wealth.

(**) 'Pricey' is a relative term. Converters (as well as Auction House attuning/pooling, merit/recipe/salvage drops, etc.) have made it very easy to acquire pieces which were far out-of-reach on Live.

I play stupid games for the intent to give it away like a come find me game. I make it easy and not hide so they can just friend me and find me. I'll broadcast asking someone to guess the number I'm thinking of and then I just give inf to the first 2 or 3 people that simply say a number. I've given away a lot of purple drops, too. I'll buy an ATO, give it to someone and tell them something like, "I found this in the back of the AH. Don't tell anyone." It's fun seeing the reactions. At the end of the day, I made back more than I gave away. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jshmoe1236123 said:

I play stupid games for the intent to give it away like a come find me game. I make it easy and not hide so they can just friend me and find me. I'll broadcast asking someone to guess the number I'm thinking of and then I just give inf to the first 2 or 3 people that simply say a number. I've given away a lot of purple drops, too. I'll buy an ATO, give it to someone and tell them something like, "I found this in the back of the AH. Don't tell anyone." It's fun seeing the reactions. At the end of the day, I made back more than I gave away. 

That's a nice way to do it 😃

On 3/26/2020 at 9:25 AM, jshmoe1236123 said:

One time I jumped into one of those games someone else was running and offered the first person to not find the game runner twice the prize. The first person that message me was very shocked when I sent them influence.

edit: HBK > Hitman

Edited by MunkiLord
  • Haha 1

On 3/23/2020 at 5:53 PM, Pizzamurai said:

The bigger question, as someone with serious alt-itis, is how do you guys make so much money? Like, 1 billion per week? Are you making it by like fire farming or are you playing the AH and stepping on a bunch of little guys to keep the prices up and your profits large or... selling yourself in pocket d?

Get a character to 50 so they can get off that 2x XP crack. Play said character. A lot. 20+ characters hooked on 2x XP isn't helping you. Use the AH for further benefit. Sell. Sell, Sell. I used to horde things for when I needed it. Now? I cleared out four racks of salvage and intent to fully clear out all of my characters and buy as needed. Convert. Convert. Convert. I like playing my stalker more than I due my farmer so at one point the stalker almost overtook the farmer in terms of influence until I got distracted by ATOs. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 3/26/2020 at 10:25 AM, jshmoe1236123 said:

I teamed with someone who gave purples to those who teamed with them. Yesterday someone was willing to send others a complete set of common IOs for their build since they were working on badges. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

9 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

Get a character to 50 so they can get off that 2x XP crack. Play said character. A lot. 20+ characters hooked on 2x XP isn't helping you. Use the AH for further benefit. Sell. Sell, Sell. I used to horde things for when I needed it. Now? I cleared out four racks of salvage and intent to fully clear out all of my characters and buy as needed. Convert. Convert. Convert. I like playing my stalker more than I due my farmer so at one point the stalker almost overtook the farmer in terms of influence until I got distracted by ATOs. 

I have 12 50s. All of my toons are 50 cause I have a fire farmer. I've been crafting/converting since the people in this thread opened my eyes to it. I've made.... approximately 1.6 billion in the past 5 days. I'm addicted, and I wish I'd known about this sooner. My fire farmer is going to be a very lonely girl unless I feel like making a new alt. 

Edited by Pizzamurai
stuff

2 hours ago, Pizzamurai said:

I have 12 50s. All of my toons are 50 cause I have a fire farmer. I've been crafting/converting since the people in this thread opened my eyes to it. I've made.... approximately 1.6 billion in the past 5 days. I'm addicted, and I wish I'd known about this sooner. My fire farmer is going to be a very lonely girl unless I feel like making a new alt. 

I'm leaning towards deleting mine, but it is simply too useful right now and getting Incarnate stuff to make it easier is easy enough to do. I'm trying to lean on the idea of any new character fends for themselves, but that can be hard. I'm pretty sure my Earth/earth dom could use three procs right now, but she's dirt(pun) poor.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

All day I click convert

Wagons pass in pretty skirts

A raid has come, a raid has gone

An E-bill King, but just a pawn

Some days I click convert

Market Price I still can't subvert

Inflating prices!  They did assert

Their nigg miserly mentality they extrovert

FOOTSTOMPing coolness beside DJ Zero

Here they know that I'M the hero!

Bah who cares, that monthly vogue

Am I going crazy or am I just Going Rogue?

Stop earning and start creating..

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

What I've done is this: 

Give to random teammates 100m each if I see even one character's build that doesn't have an IO. 
Donate 50 to 100M to whomever gets the drop ship kill after an MSR. 

I tried to give a purple IO of choice to whomever got the kill shot on Hamidon, but I could never get the kill shot to display on my system log. 

I subsidized more than one man hunt 1 billion inf. 

I've given away entire sets of Winter-Os, purples - I even gave away an entire build for a fire/rad controller. 

Despite these charitable gifts, I have more inf than I did before I started giving it away. Just passed 80 billion yesterday. 

This is despite running the last 20 or so characters on 2xp no inf, and the last 10 or so, paying for all the amplifier buffs, tps, Summon pets, envenomed daggers, workbench, etc for all my characters. 

• Confused 1

On 3/20/2020 at 3:46 PM, Obus Form said:

How do you spend your wealth?

- Sit in email

- Maximized into your assets in the market via 200 slots/toon x 30 toons per server

- Donate to your SG

- Fund all your alts

On what/how do you spend your influence?

And if the Devs could/would add, what items/costumes/powers would you suggest as influence sinks/displays of wealth?

As a Mainoholic/min-maxer, I ask because boredom is settling in after 10 months of wealth accumulation without new shinies.

I like to have two of each purple set in my base at all times but I don't have alts so have a crap ton of purples just sitting in my base lol.

• 1 month later

Might I selfishly suggest giving some to new players.

When I joined in late 2010, I got a donation from "Biscuits Deluxe" and "amasing flame" as a new player. It allowed me and my friends to start a Super Group, build a base and get in on the Auction House/Black Market and crafting. It was so important to our starting experience that I can still tell you the names of these players 10 years later.

I only discovered the game's return this week, and after telling my friends, I now have four of them installing the game this weekend. 🙂

• Like 1

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png