petition (sign this!) more slots

Snarky

6 hours ago, ArchVileTerror said:

If someone needs more than 1000 Character Slots on the same Shard, then they may just want to grab another Account at that point.  I don't think there's been anyone legitimately and seriously asking for more Character Slots per Account . . . yet.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that there -isn't- a rule about that in the Code of Conduct.  I mean, it would negatively impact me, so please don't make such a rule!  But still . . . unlimited free accounts . . . how is that tenable?

There can be only one ... 

Ish

Erm not really.  

Hi, as someone who is usually trying to make gameplay more fun for the users, I have been to this topic and done this topic before. Many CoH veterans will remember it was a common thread on the old forums. people had great builds in mids and they carefully selected which sets and bonuses they got and which powers got slots, they always wished they could have just that one more slot to tidy their build up and finish that one set. The request was formerly denied by paragon studios. HOWEVER, they may have denied it in that form, but they took the player suggestion seriously (customer is always right and all) and so they invented an extra slot you could earn in the form of incarnate slots, and not only did they give us 1 slot but over time an additional 6 slots, the catch was they couldn't be added to one power of your choice but even better effected all powers across your build or allowed you an extra power already enhanced to the max.

So, this request you are making is more than already fulfilled. asking for more slots at this point is.... how to put it.. "Ok we gave you better free sandwiches in the cafeteria, now what is it? free Prime rib?!" modern governments may not know when to say "no" to special treatment requests, even if it's for a group of people, but most citizens have learned this lesson from history we are wise we see it happen, step by step and we know the outcome, it ruins things.

you want an extra 10 slots?, ok, lets say you get them. you'll be satisfied for a little while sure, then you'll notice things still aren't perfect, whats next getting rid of ED (enhancement diversification)? how about after that, choosing an extra power?, more incarnate slots?, another 10 slots? no slot caps on powers? purple LV50 versions of every set in existence? no limit on how many Unique enhancements you slot on the character? no limit on how many unique enhancements you can slot on any given power? no limit on what sets can be put on what power? where does it stop? if history taught us anything it never stops. the more you give the more they take, then whine then walk away when it's broke. Not pointing any fingers and not blaming you, your request is just that "a request", there's nothing wrong with it, I'm sure you are a great person, but it's entirely unfeasible to grant it. Even if it's not you asking for more, eventually it will be someone else.

the point is it's already been granted and here you are asking for it again... wash rinse repeat.

if you add 10 extra slots we'd have to change a lot of the game-play, we might even have to change the method of getting slots. it wouldn't be impossible, I myself spent a long time thinking up a way to make a better game than city of heroes with more player control over these things, but that's always the outcome then isn't it? it's a different game.

side note - anyone remember the old Peacebringer infinite slots glitch? that was "broken".. imagine a single power having all the slots you can throw at it. you wont even need any other powers, just enhance the crap out of it for every possible set and IO and hami origin that's applicable, everything dies in one hit, you always hit, you win.. recharge instantaneously.

Edited by Joshex

On 3/21/2020 at 10:53 AM, Greycat said:

Character slots? Sure.

AE story arc slots? Sure.

Enhancement slots? No. Besides, it would probably break something silly, like suddenly trying to use Brawl makes you fall down.

+Costume Slots? Sure!

Seems like most people have already reached the same consensus, but also not a fan. I'm pretty much always against rewarding something that can only be obtained via grinding. Even my farmer is only Vet 60 and he has no need for slots anyways.

On 3/20/2020 at 4:32 PM, Snarky said:

I formally petition for every hundred veteran levels there be 1 extra enhancer slot slot.  With a maximum of 10.

I would vote yes for this. There are many builds that I find i'm needing just a couple more slots to do what i want with them. With the new IO/uniques coming too it'll make builds even tighter.

I vote yes.

People play the game for different reasons.  For the players that focus on a limited number of characters, it would be a welcome benefit.  After VL 100+ the incarnate system is dead and there is nothing to differentiate a character at that point (which can't already be done for characters below VL 100).  

Short of a complete revamp or an expansion of the incarnate system, I would suggest:

1) VL 100 = +1 slot

2) VL 200 = +1 slot

3) VL 400 = +1 slot

4) VL 800 = +1 slot

5) VL 1600 = +1 slot

Etc.

Considering I know only one person at VL 1600+, I don't think this distorts the game or creates and unfair advantage.  I really don't care if someone has 3x the badges I have, and I don't think people should care if someone has one or more slot than them.  From a coding perspective, if you apply the same framework (max 6-slot), it should be feasible (spaghetti code or not, we've seen a lot of great changes to the game).  Personally, I would love to see 7-slotting, because it would be more impactful for someone to ascend to those heights and continue to play the end game, but I would just take the additional slots (plenty of great places to put slots in any build).

I'd love to see a +5/+10 difficulty settings as well, to keep the challenge factor in place, but that is a separate topic.

In summary, this suggestion has merit and should be seriously considered.  

3 hours ago, MIG said:

I vote yes.

People play the game for different reasons.  For the players that focus on a limited number of characters, it would be a welcome benefit.  After VL 100+ the incarnate system is dead and there is nothing to differentiate a character at that point (which can't already be done for characters below VL 100).  

Short of a complete revamp or an expansion of the incarnate system, I would suggest:

1) VL 100 = +1 slot

2) VL 200 = +1 slot

3) VL 400 = +1 slot

4) VL 800 = +1 slot

5) VL 1600 = +1 slot

Etc.

Considering I know only one person at VL 1600+, I don't think this distorts the game or creates and unfair advantage.  I really don't care if someone has 3x the badges I have, and I don't think people should care if someone has one or more slot than them.  From a coding perspective, if you apply the same framework (max 6-slot), it should be feasible (spaghetti code or not, we've seen a lot of great changes to the game).  Personally, I would love to see 7-slotting, because it would be more impactful for someone to ascend to those heights and continue to play the end game, but I would just take the additional slots (plenty of great places to put slots in any build).

I'd love to see a +5/+10 difficulty settings as well, to keep the challenge factor in place, but that is a separate topic.

In summary, this suggestion has merit and should be seriously considered.  

That would be a lot of work on the Dev's part for less than .01% of the player base who actually reaches VL 100 to say nothing of the higher VL's.  The vast majority of us tend to roll an alt when we reach 100, or when we manage to finish incarnating to t3 or t4.  Back on Live I MIGHT have had a character reach the equivalent of higher than VL 100... that I'd played from issue 3 to shutdown.

I'm going with a hard no on this, the ideas I've seen present too many problems and either end up overpowered or useless as the players will never see the benefit.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

I already feel like there are too many incentives for otherwise pointless grind.  I'd like to see some attention given to incentives for making and maintaining Alts, since that's definitely one of City's biggest strengths compared to all other MMOs.

Granted, I wouldn't be against 7-slotting a single Power as an unlock for the next Incarnate "Power" that Homecoming adds.  The higher up the Tier you go, the more Powers you can unlock for 7-slotting.  That could be an interesting development.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

I already feel like there are too many incentives for otherwise pointless grind.  I'd like to see some attention given to incentives for making and maintaining Alts, since that's definitely one of City's biggest strengths compared to all other MMOs.

Granted, I wouldn't be against 7-slotting a single Power as an unlock for the next Incarnate "Power" that Homecoming adds.  The higher up the Tier you go, the more Powers you can unlock for 7-slotting.  That could be an interesting development.

This.

• Thanks 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

On 3/20/2020 at 3:32 PM, Snarky said:

I formally petition for every hundred veteran levels there be 1 extra enhancer slot slot.  With a maximum of 10.

Enhancement tray slots, sure.

Power enhancer slots? No.

• Like 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

I can see you all are on the fence about this. 

so please continue to think carefully about the wonderful motivation of receiving another enhancement slot for powers.  

i really appreciate your openess to the concept

The only "more slots" I would support that I can think of right now is Costume slots. Maybe every 10 vet levels. 

So, nah, not signed. City of heroes is not a hard game, and there's already VERY little challenge when you're geared out to the point where there's nothing else you can upgrade. If anything, the team should start researching ways to make the game harder again for decked out heroes rather than make the already invincible walking destruction bombs slightly more powerful. 

2 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

Vet level 100 is already a trek. I would say an extra 4 or 5 slots, every 20 or 25 levels till 100, and make those slots special to be chosen either as a regular slot or a special 7th slot.

Notice in my original post I wanted, or thought it should be, tied with badges.  A farmer can grind 100 levels relatively fast.  My highest right now is 40-something I believe.  My current main is 27.  I game a lot.  But a farmer would look at those and consider I might have only been grinding a few weeks.  Hard grinding, but very doable.  I tied the reward with vet levels AND badge levels.  This shows you not only grind hard on the character but explore the game.  

I have seen a random content on the boards about not needing any more power.  Okay.  These rewards are for those people who play one character to great depth.  I seriously doubt 99% of characters you game alongside will have ONE of these rewards, much less all three I have suggested.

The rewards are specifically there to give something tangible to someone who games on one main for a long time.  Notice I said I had one main at 40-something and my current main is 27?  Maybe these rewards would encourage me to focus in on badging and running content I enjoy for a few months more on one (please not both lol) of the two characters.  That is what a reward system does, it encourages continued involvement.  

The rewards I have laid out are specifically not game breaking power level wise.  Three extra slots total would be a sweet gift beyond all measure (or would it?), and at the end of the day give a few percentage Res (in one area) or Rech or Regen.  If anyone can show me how those 3 slots will overpower one 100th level vet character compared to a brand new 50 I will give them 100 mil.  That is a real offer, but it has to be blatantly obvious, not subjective.  Anyone can look at the explanation and go "Oh yeah, that would seriously crank that beyond anything we thought was conceivable!"  Because I honestly am not sure it could. 

The reason I think it would be nice to have this type of reward is I spend a lot of time in mids and like any tinkerer I am always looking for one more part. And like most tinkerers at a certain point you cannot get the basic vehicle to exceed design parameters no matter how much X you add to the design.  Conceptually I know this, just always looking for one more thing.  It is the classic Hoarding Badging Grinding aspect of why we do what we do.  This type of shiny is just another suggested milestone along that path.

Again, while I appreciate the many of you who have endorsed this plan I think we should still consider it carefully as we move forward.

Thank you.

Edited by Snarky

There's nothing to consider as "we move forward." This is a non-starter suggestion. It will not happen. You can hold out hope all you want, but the reality is - 99.999% of the suggestions made here will not happen - and I can guarantee this is not in the .001% of those that will ever seriously be considered.