is there something wrong with Dual Blades?

psycho_notepad

just came back from the 8 year break and I was trying to pick a melee archetype. while looking at the forums I noticed that there's not a lot of talk about DB on the melee pages (Brute, tanker, scrapper, or stalker) it was one of my favorites from when the servers were live so I'm wondering if something happened while I was away? Is DB not really usable on any archetype or is it better on one but not the rest?

also what armor goes best with DB? I was thinking invuln but i almost feel like I need the damage aura.

• Like 1

DB is fine. If you like it, then go for it.  

The overall community for Homecoming is a fraction of the size of live.  Having expectations about high amounts of chatter on all powers or combinations is going to lead you to disappointment.  A lot of returning players are veterans too.  So a large amount of conversation is going to be focused on new powers and new IO set combinations.  There really isn't new territory to unlock with Dual Blades, but the lack of discussion doesn't mean it suddenly sucks.  

DB is usable on any archetype, period, full stop.  DB gets better and better with the IO system.  That's your 30,000 ft view of it.  

To get a bit more granular, the DB combo system excels more on Scrappers, Brutes, and Tankers than it does on Stalkers.  I do not care for the combo mechanic on the Stalker at all.  However, if you build for heavy recharge to only use Assassin's Blades, Ablative Strike, and Sweeping Strike the set becomes one of the top damage dealing primaries.  For Scrappers, Brutes, and Tankers you can also build to ignore the combo system.  However, the basic Blinding Feint into Attack Vitals combo is easy to build for while still yielding very high returns.  

DB doesn't really offer great synergy, in my opinion, with any particular armor sets.  Instead, it is the choice of armor set that will be working for Dual Blades.  If you want a high recharge build to focus on the highest possible damage, then you really want to consider secondaries with recharge boosts like Super Reflexes (you have several choices now FYI).  If you don't care about that and don't mind using the combo system, then your secondary doesn't matter nearly as much.  

I happen to have a Dual Blades and Dark Armor Scrapper.  I appreciate the damage aura it brings, but honestly it isn't necessary.  DB has AoE options already built in.  I'm just adding icing on the cake. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just be aware lethal damage is one of the most heavily resisted damages along with PSI at end game (lol Psi Melee).  It's also one of the earlier powersets, so not sure if it kept up with the power creep.

• Thanks 1

I have a db/invul scrapper with decent recharge and good numbers on paper survival wise and it went for the blinding feint into attack vitals route. Not a big fan of how it plays once put into practice. It feels stale and very single target despite sweeping being a cone and I see it's role on teams relegated to taking down hard targets which is fine. I'm sure the damage is more than respectable but the set just doesn't feel fun.

I am spoiled by my blaster however, because she can do the above, has more AoE, better DPA attacks, and has enough survival/control to tank +4/8. Other AT simply can't compare after you played something like that.

• Thanks 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

1 hour ago, Dz131 said:

Just be aware lethal damage is one of the most heavily resisted damages along with PSI at end game (lol Psi Melee).  It's also one of the earlier powersets, so not sure if it kept up with the power creep.

A few months ago, Captain Powerhouse stated that the damage resistances would eventually be touched, so lethal may not have be so heavily resisted in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later
On 3/20/2020 at 8:24 PM, psycho_notepad said:

just came back from the 8 year break and I was trying to pick a melee archetype. while looking at the forums I noticed that there's not a lot of talk about DB on the melee pages (Brute, tanker, scrapper, or stalker) it was one of my favorites from when the servers were live so I'm wondering if something happened while I was away? Is DB not really usable on any archetype or is it better on one but not the rest?

also what armor goes best with DB? I was thinking invuln but i almost feel like I need the damage aura.

Bigger issue with Dual Blades is that the secondary effect fails 14% of the time. And is the only set that does so.

Death is the best debuff.

I would pick something like /elec since it offers a damage aura and +recharge with only one real click so you can stick to attacking. Skipping a damage aura, I would go /wp and go after recharge bonuses and Incarnate related powers for more recharge.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 3/21/2020 at 8:14 PM, psycho_notepad said:

good to know, thanks

If you allow and if I may have your ear for 2 minutes, DB is a low performer of damage, especially on brutes due to the previously mentioned heavy resistance of lethal damage, and brute rage.

Lethal resistance

As with most video games, unless you play /AH, it is best to build for the game as it currently exists.  It would be sad to have a level 50 + IOd Dual Blade Brute only to discover that Captain Powerhouse will not touch lethal resistance on enemies.  Or does, but a decade later.  Play the game as it currently exists unless a dev "promises" imminent changes.  Even changes on the beta test server have been nerfed, cancelled, or changed entirely.

Rage

Brutes need to attack quickly to generate rage in a fight.  Dual Blades has sexy animations but the long animation times means you take a long time to build rage.  Ideally, you want crisply animated attacks that animate between 1 - 1.5 seconds.  Anything longer and you'd want the attack to hit like /SuperStrength Knockout Blow.  Sadly, the long animations on Dual Blades does not give increased damage.  Therefore, if you want high single target DPS go Claws, or Stone Melee, or Dark Melee.  Balanced single target/AOE is Super Strength.  AOE focused is Spines.

33 minutes ago, Obus Form said:

Rage

Brutes need to attack quickly to generate rage in a fight.  Dual Blades has sexy animations but the long animation times means you take a long time to build rage.  Ideally, you want crisply animated attacks that animate between 1 - 1.5 seconds.  Anything longer and you'd want the attack to hit like /SuperStrength Knockout Blow.  Sadly, the long animations on Dual Blades does not give increased damage.  Therefore, if you want high single target DPS go Claws, or Stone Melee, or Dark Melee.  Balanced single target/AOE is Super Strength.  AOE focused is Spines.

With the exception of Typhoon's Edge you don't want any of the long animating powers in your attack chains, unless you're explicitely playing DB for the combo system. (Which is fine. - Like it? Play it.)

• Like 1