Build: Solo Ill/Rad AV-Killer... er "defeater"

robopop

Hi, I've rolled the classic AV-killer, an Ill/Rad controller named "Green Dreamer." She is out hunting Skulls and dreaming of the upcoming epic battles, and I am working on an end-game build for her. I found a build online and used it as a base to make the one below, but I don't have enough controller experience to know how great the original build was, or how it has weathered the extreme surgery I've performed on it. I seek a few experienced troller players to weigh in.

I'd like to get your overall thoughts on the build, plus I have a few specific questions.

• Leadership - needed? I'm thinking Tactics will help the pets hit, and hitting more does more damage. Also, I'm thinking Maneuvers will help the Phantasm live (the PA and Terror don't care). But maybe they do fine without these buffs. What's your experience?
  • Spectral Wounds - needed? On one hand, it seems insane to go without a key piece of direct damage. On the other hand, direct damage is the pets' job and SW might just draw unwanted attention. I imagine that my troller will spend almost all of her time (when not renewing buffs) layering "Hold" onto hard targets, especially an AV. Is this true?
  • Defense - the build I found had almost no defense. The author even mentioned not worrying about it... that's what pets are for. I sniffed at this and built enough ranged defense that a small luck will take Green Dreamer to soft cap. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do. What do you think?
  • Survivability - aside from ranged defense and the smashing/lethal resistance, every other survivability stat sucks. I suppose this is just a drawback of being a controller, but do you mititgate this lack of survivability in any way? Build regen? Work more on the defenses? Hit points? Or just try to stay out of the way?

Thanks in advance for any insight you have!

And... the build:

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Green Dreamer: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Illusion Control
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Emission
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Primal Forces Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blind -- SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprOvrPrs-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(3), SprOvrPrs-EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(13), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(17), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 1: Radiant Aura -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(3), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(11), Prv-Heal/Rchg(15), Prv-Absorb%(25), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(39)
Level 2: Deceive -- CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(A), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(5), CrcPrs-Conf%(9), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(9), CrcPrs-Conf(11), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(17)
Level 4: Radiation Infection -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(5), TchofLadG-%Dam(7)
Level 6: Accelerate Metabolism -- EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(7)
Level 8: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(21)
Level 10: Spectral Wounds -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(15), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Apc-Acc/Rchg(34), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(37)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(34)
Level 14: Flash -- GldNet-Acc/Hold(A), GldNet-Acc/Rchg(39), GldNet-Rchg/Hold(42), GldNet-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(45), GldNet-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(48)
Level 16: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(39)
Level 18: Phantom Army -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(19), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(21), SlbAll-Dmg/Rchg(25), SlbAll-Build%(43)
Level 20: Lingering Radiation -- Acc-I(A), RechRdx-I(31), ImpSwf-Dam%(43)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(23), Rct-Def/EndRdx(37), Rct-ResDam%(46)
Level 24: Superior Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(36), ShlWal-Def(46), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(48)
Level 26: Spectral Terror -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(27), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(31), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(45)
Level 28: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(36)
Level 30: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(36), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(43), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(45), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(46), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 32: Phantasm -- ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(42)
Level 35: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 38: EM Pulse -- UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(A), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(40), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(40), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(40), UnbCns-Dam%(42)
Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Temp Invulnerability -- GldArm-ResDam(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(48), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(50)
Level 49: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(29)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(31)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 50: Spiritual Total Core Revamp 
------------

Tactics isn't needed since Phantom Army can't be buffed, and Radiation Infection will generally mean that mobs are going to be easy to hit anyhow. It's a good mule for Gaussian's which is a nice set, but it is one power and 5 slots, so dropping it would allow other powers to get slotted more. Like, getting Energy Torrent with 5xRagnarok (or Positron) and 1xForce Feedback, to help with Recharge.

Defense for an Illusion controller is less useful than for other sets, but I do like ot have some of it... the pets can't hold all the aggro unless you never use AoE attacks, and sometimes ambushes will attack you and kill you before you can duck behind a corner and let the pets take aggro, if you don't have SOME defense to slow down incoming suprises.

I would definitely get Enervating Field earlier in the build, Flash isn't that useful early when you don't have much Accuracy or Recharge for it, while Enervating Field is quite useful with just 2 slots.

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

Tactics isn't needed since Phantom Army can't be buffed, and Radiation Infection will generally mean that mobs are going to be easy to hit anyhow. It's a good mule for Gaussian's which is a nice set, but it is one power and 5 slots, so dropping it would allow other powers to get slotted more. Like, getting Energy Torrent with 5xRagnarok (or Positron) and 1xForce Feedback, to help with Recharge.

Defense for an Illusion controller is less useful than for other sets, but I do like to have some of it... the pets can't hold all the aggro unless you never use AoE attacks, and sometimes ambushes will attack you and kill you before you can duck behind a corner and let the pets take aggro, if you don't have SOME defense to slow down incoming surprises.

I would definitely get Enervating Field earlier in the build, Flash isn't that useful early when you don't have much Accuracy or Recharge for it, while Enervating Field is quite useful with just 2 slots.

Awesome advice, thank you. I will do all those things and post a revision soon. Thanks again!

Ill/Rad was the original 'giant killer'. However, this was due to a combination of an indestructible tank and -regen debuffs. As long as you could refresh your Army before it disappeared and floor the target's regen, you would eventually win.

However, this was before proc changes, Villain powers, IO sets and Incarnates. In the current game, Radiation isn't particularly strong for this purpose. I pulled this from my builds as an example - there's a lot similar to the build posted above - but some differences:

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Controller

Power Pool: Fighting

Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Blind

• (A) Apocalypse - Damage: Level 50
  • (3) HamiO:Peroxisome Exposure
  • (3) Decimation - Chance of Build Up: Level 40
  • (5) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative): Level 50
  • (5) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 50
  • (7) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance for Smashing Damage: Level 50

Level 1: Radiant Aura

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb: Level 50
  • (13) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance: Level 50
  • (13) Preventive Medicine - Heal: Level 50
  • (15) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance: Level 50
  • (15) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime: Level 50
  • (17) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime: Level 50

Level 2: Deceive

• (A) Coercive Persuasion  - Contagious Confusion: Level 50
  • (7) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused/Endurance: Level 50
  • (9) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused: Level 50
  • (9) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused/Recharge: Level 50
  • (11) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Confused/Recharge: Level 50
  • (11) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50

Level 4: Accelerate Metabolism

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO: Level 50
  • (34) Recharge Reduction IO: Level 50

Level 6: Kick

• (A) Empty

Level 8: Superior Invisibility

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed: Level 50
  • (17) Kismet - Accuracy +6%: Level 30
  • (25) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All): Level 50
  • (25) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance: Level 50

Level 10: Enervating Field

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO: Level 50
  • (48) Endurance Reduction IO: Level 50

Level 12: Maneuvers

• (39) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance: Level 50
  • (50) Red Fortune - Defense: Level 50

Level 14: Tough

• (A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%: Level 30
  • (45) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All): Level 50
  • (46) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP: Level 50
  • (46) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance: Level 50
  • (48) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance: Level 50

Level 16: Hover

Level 18: Phantom Army

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50
  • (19) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50
  • (19) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge: Level 50
  • (21) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage: Level 50
  • (21) Soulbound Allegiance - Chance for Build Up: Level 50
  • (23) Soulbound Allegiance - Damage/Recharge: Level 50

Level 20: Lingering Radiation

• (A) Pacing of the Turtle - Accuracy/Slow: Level 50
  • (46) Recharge Reduction IO: Level 50

Level 22: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO: Level 50
  • (23) Recharge Reduction IO: Level 50

Level 24: Weave

• (50) Red Fortune - Defense: Level 50
  • (50) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance: Level 50

Level 26: Spectral Terror

• (A) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage: Level 50
  • (27) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized: Level 50
  • (27) Superior Will of the Controller - Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Recharge: Level 50
  • (29) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge: Level 50
  • (29) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance: Level 50
  • (33) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50

Level 28: Tactics

• (A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up: Level 50
  • (34) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Endurance: Level 50

Level 30: Cross Punch

• (A) Armageddon - Damage: Level 50
  • (31) Armageddon - Damage/Endurance: Level 50
  • (31) Eradication - Chance for Energy Damage: Level 30
  • (31) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage: Level 50
  • (33) Armageddon - Chance for Fire Damage: Level 50
  • (33) Fury of the Gladiator - Chance for Res Debuff: Level 50

Level 32: Phantasm

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Resist Bonus Aura for Pets: Level 50
  • (40) Explosive Strike - Chance for Smashing Damage: Level 20
  • (40) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge: Level 50
  • (43) Expedient Reinforcement - Damage/Endurance: Level 50
  • (45) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage: Level 50
  • (45) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50

Level 35: Poisonous Ray

• (A) Damage Increase IO: Level 50
  • (36) Damage Increase IO: Level 50
  • (36) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic): Level 50
  • (36) Shield Breaker - Chance for Lethal Damage: Level 30
  • (37) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage: Level 50
  • (37) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff: Level 20

Level 38: Scorpion Shield

• (39) Red Fortune - Defense: Level 50
  • (39) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance: Level 50

Level 41: Disruptor Blast

• (A) Ragnarok - Damage: Level 50
  • (42) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance: Level 50
  • (42) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff: Level 50
  • (42) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy): Level 50
  • (43) Javelin Volley - Chance of Damage(Lethal): Level 50
  • (43) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown: Level 50

Level 44: Fly

• (A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points): Level 50

Level 47: Focused Accuracy

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO: Level 50
  • (48) Endurance Reduction IO: Level 50

Level 49: Boxing

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Health

• (A) Miracle - +Recovery: Level 40
  • (34) Numina's Convalesence - +Regeneration/+Recovery: Level 50
  • (37) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance: Level 50

Level 2: Hurdle

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Stamina

• (A) Performance Shifter - EndMod: Level 50
  • (40) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End: Level 50

Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon

------------

Edited by Hjarki
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Hjarki said:

Ill/Rad was the original 'giant killer'. However, this was due to a combination of an indestructible tank and -regen debuffs. As long as you could refresh your Army before it disappeared and floor the target's regen, you would eventually win.

However, this was before proc changes, Villain powers, IO sets and Incarnates. In the current game, Radiation isn't particularly strong for this purpose. I pulled this from my builds as an example - there's a lot similar to the build posted above - but some differences:

Thank you for the response and the build, Hjarki! I love how active your build it... your controller is getting in there and mixing it up with the cross punch and the mace powers! I also find it clever how you use both Tactics and Focused Accuracy, so that you can skip accuracy slotting and have more room for procs. It's a really interesting build. I might have to try out two builds and compare. 

I'm curious what you think might be the best monster killer, if not currently /Rad. I was looking at /Time, but /Rad has much more -regen built in.  

4 hours ago, robopop said:

I'm curious what you think might be the best monster killer, if not currently /Rad. I was looking at /Time, but /Rad has much more -regen built in.  

It's hard to say. -regen was a big deal on Live; not so much now. Fully flooring regen effectively translates into 100 dps (unmodifiable) on an AV (more on a GM). This is essential when you're dealing less than 100 dps, fantastic when you're dealing 200 dps and merely nice when you're dealing 800 dps.

From the pylon tests, it appears the current king of sheer speed is Storm Summoning. However, Ill/Storm does run into an issue with certain AV/GM in that it can't easily keep them in the Freezing Rain if they don't want to stay there. Ill/Cold is also a strong contender, but the lack of +recharge makes this a tricky build. Ill/Dark is also a strong option although - again - you'll have to conjure up some additional +recharge to make it work well.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Ill/Time. It's a lot easier to build than most sets due to the enormous amounts of recharge, but its top-end performance is lower due to relatively weak -resist (and little -regen).

I've heard good things about both */Traps and */Trick Arrow, but I find them a bit clunky to use.

You've also got a lot of non-Illusion builds that are arguably better at solo'ing AV/GM these days. Classically, it would have been impossible to solo most AV/GM on a Scrapper because of the -regen issue. But when you're simply delivering all the raw dps that a modern Scrapper potentially can, this isn't a big deal.

• Haha 1

I think Ill/rad should still work well, because of all the Incarnate and P2W buffs we have access to. The Incarnate bonuses can either up your damage or get you perma-PA. So it might be worth it to look at builds that focus getting you the complementary buff. I haven't run the numbers though, this is just from "feel".

But certain mechanics will be more challenging than in other builds. Nictus in ITF, AV's that fly; AV's that regen off Phantasm, and maybe other mechanics. 

Duo, however, is another story. I think a good Ill/rad more than other AT's should make all content more viable, and really brings a lot to the table. Just, er, maybe don't duo with another ill/rad. Again, just based on my experience with mechanics and have not run numbers.

Here's the build I'm starting with. There are a fair number of differences from the previous one I posted, but ideas in this thread and reading Local Man's guide to Ill/Rad controllers made me want to try a few things out, like Ice Mastery. I know I'll end up respec'ing soon enough; still, I figure there are some decisions I can't make without trying things out in the field. I did take Green Dreamer out for a spin with her new build at a mild +1/x4, Turns out I need a little practice. But I killed all the monsters, I didn't die, and I ran out of endurance only once.🙂

I'll report back with the results of this experiment and new questions on what I might try next.

Spoiler

Green Dreamer: Level 50 Magic Controller
Ancillary Pool: Ice Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blind -- GldNet-Acc/Hold(A), GldNet-Acc/Rchg(3), GldNet-Rchg/Hold(13), GldNet-Dam%(13), GldNet-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(17), Dmg-I(50)
Level 1: Radiant Aura -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(3), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(5), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(11), Prv-Heal/Rchg(15), Prv-Absorb%(25)
Level 2: Deceive -- CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(A), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(5), CrcPrs-Conf%(9), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(9), CrcPrs-Conf(11), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(17)
Level 4: Radiation Infection -- HO:Enzym(A), HO:Enzym(7), HO:Enzym(23), AchHee-ResDeb%(36)
Level 6: Accelerate Metabolism -- EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(7)
Level 8: Spectral Wounds -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Apc-Acc/Rchg(29), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(34), Apc-Dam%(37), Dvs-Hold%(42)
Level 10: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(15)
Level 12: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(36)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(39)
Level 16: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 18: Phantom Army -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(19), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(21), SlbAll-Dmg/Rchg(25), SlbAll-Build%(34)
Level 20: Lingering Radiation -- Acc-I(A), PcnoftheT-Acc/Slow(23), RechRdx-I(31), TmpRdn-Acc/Slow(43)
Level 22: Kick -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A)
Level 24: Superior Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), EndRdx-I(36)
Level 26: Spectral Terror -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(27), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(31), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(31), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 28: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(39), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(42), UnbGrd-Max HP%(43)
Level 32: Phantasm -- ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(33), SlbAll-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), ExpStr-Dam%(42)
Level 35: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Rct-ResDam%(46)
Level 38: EM Pulse -- UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(A), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(40), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(40), UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(40), UnbCns-Dam%(48)
Level 41: Ice Blast -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Dcm-Build%(45), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(48), GldJvl-Dam%(50)
Level 44: Frozen Armor -- ShlWal-Def(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(46), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(46), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 47: Hibernate -- Prv-Heal/Rchg(A)
Level 49: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(29)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 50: Spiritual Total Core Revamp 
Level 50: Ion Total Core Judgement 
Level 50: Degenerative Total Core Conversion 
Level 50: Carnival Total Radial Improved Ally 
Level 50: Control Total Core Graft 
Level 50: Ageless Partial Core Invocation 
------------

10 hours ago, Hjarki said:

... it appears the current king of sheer speed is Storm Summoning. However, Ill/Storm does run into an issue with certain AV/GM in that it can't easily keep them in the Freezing Rain if they don't want to stay there. Ill/Cold is also a strong contender, but the lack of +recharge makes this a tricky build. Ill/Dark is also a strong option although - again - you'll have to conjure up some additional +recharge to make it work well.

So many things to try!

10 hours ago, Hjarki said:

You've also got a lot of non-Illusion builds that are arguably better at solo'ing AV/GM these days. Classically, it would have been impossible to solo most AV/GM on a Scrapper because of the -regen issue. But when you're simply delivering all the raw dps that a modern Scrapper potentially can, this isn't a big deal.

I solo'd several AVs in the Freedom Phalanx task forces with a Mace/Elec scrapper who was less than 40th level. I got stuck on Citadel's AV, but now that my scrapper is 50, I'll give it another go. Soon. I got my Ill/Radd experiment to nurture, too. 🙂

This is my current build  basedon te old perma PA build edit i just noticed that  pines has not slotted PA fully  , you get the idea though

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Cognitive Dissident: Level 50 Technology Controller
Power Pool: Ice Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Spectral Wounds

• (A) Decimation - Accuracy/Damage
  • (50) Decimation - Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Decimation - Chance of Build Up
  • (50) Decimation - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Decimation - Damage/Endurance
  • (50) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

• (A) Doctored Wounds - Recharge
  • (50) Doctored Wounds - Heal
  • (50) Doctored Wounds - Heal/Endurance/Recharge
  • (50) Doctored Wounds - Heal/Recharge
  • (50) Doctored Wounds - Heal/Endurance

Level 2: Blind

• (A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance
  • (50) Superior Will of the Controller - Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Recharge
  • (50) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage
  • (50) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance/Recharge
  • (50) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized
  • (50) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge

Level 4: Deceive

• (A) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused
  • (50) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused/Recharge
  • (50) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Confused/Recharge
  • (50) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (50) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused/Endurance

Level 6: Accelerate Metabolism

• (A) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Accuracy
  • (50) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Endurance
  • (50) Efficacy Adaptor - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (50) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Accuracy/Recharge
  • (50) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Recharge
  • (50) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed
  • (50) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (50) Luck of the Gambler - Endurance/Recharge
  • (50) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance

Level 10: Hover

Level 12: Air Superiority

• (A) Crushing Impact - Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Crushing Impact - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (50) Crushing Impact - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (50) Crushing Impact - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Crushing Impact - Accuracy/Damage

Level 14: Fly

• (A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)
  • (50) Flight Speed IO
  • (50) Flight Speed IO

Level 16: Mutation

• (A) Recharge Reduction

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Damage/Endurance
  • (50) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (50) Accuracy
  • (50) Accuracy

Level 20: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (50) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 22: Radiation Infection

• (A) Hydra:Anti-Protons
  • (50) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 24: Enervating Field

• (A) Hydra:Anti-Protons
  • (50) Endurance Reduction IO

• (A) Unspeakable Terror - Disorient Bonus
  • (50) Unspeakable Terror - Accuracy/Fear/Recharge
  • (50) Unspeakable Terror - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (50) Unspeakable Terror - Endurance/Fear
  • (50) Unspeakable Terror - Fear/Range

Level 28: Lingering Radiation

• (A) Accuracy IO

Level 30: Flash

• (A) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Hold
  • (50) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (50) Basilisk's Gaze - Recharge/Hold
  • (50) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (50) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (50) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Blood Mandate - Accuracy/Damage

Level 35: Fallout

• (A) Accuracy

Level 38: EM Pulse

• (A) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Hold
  • (50) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (50) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold
  • (50) Basilisk's Gaze - Recharge/Hold

Level 41: Ice Blast

• (50) Decimation - Damage/Endurance
  • (50) Decimation - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge

Level 44: Frozen Armor

Level 47: Frost Breath

• (A) Ragnarok - Damage
  • (50) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (50) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance

Level 49: Hibernate

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

Edited by coggy

• 1 month later

My current build.  It is expensive though.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Mr. Deception - Inherent Stamina: Level 50 Magic Controller
Power Pool: Teleportation
Ancillary Pool: Fire Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blind

• (A) Apocalypse - Damage
  • (3) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge
  • (3) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (5) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (5) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal
  • (7) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
  • (7) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (9) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
  • (9) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
  • (11) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 2: Spectral Wounds

• (15) Decimation - Chance of Build Up
  • (17) Decimation - Damage/Endurance
  • (17) Decimation - Damage/Recharge
  • (19) Decimation - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • (19) Decimation - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

Level 4: Accelerate Metabolism

• (A) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod
  • (23) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Recharge
  • (23) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Accuracy/Recharge
  • (25) Efficacy Adaptor - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (25) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Accuracy
  • (27) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Endurance

Level 6: Flash

• (A) Unbreakable Constraint - Endurance/Hold
  • (27) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold/Recharge
  • (29) Unbreakable Constraint - Accuracy/Hold/Recharge
  • (29) Unbreakable Constraint - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (31) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance for Smashing Damage

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (31) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance

Level 10: Hasten

• (31) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (33) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 12: Radiation Infection

• (A) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Endurance
  • (33) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff
  • (33) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Recharge/Endurance
  • (34) Dark Watcher's Despair - Chance for Recharge Slow
  • (34) Touch of Lady Grey - Defense Debuff
  • (34) Touch of Lady Grey - Defense Debuff/Endurance

Level 14: Fly

• (A) Winter's Gift - Slow Resistance (20%)

Level 16: Recall Friend

• (A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

• (36) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (36) Expedient Reinforcement - Damage/Endurance
  • (36) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (37) Soulbound Allegiance - Damage/Recharge
  • (37) Soulbound Allegiance - Chance for Build Up

Level 20: Mutation

Level 22: Lingering Radiation

• (A) Tempered Readiness - Accuracy/Slow
  • (37) Tempered Readiness - Accuracy/Endurance
  • (39) Tempered Readiness - Range/Slow
  • (39) Tempered Readiness - Endurance/Recharge/Slow
  • (39) Tempered Readiness - Accuracy/Damage/Slow

Level 24: Enervating Field

• (40) Endurance Reduction IO

• (A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration
  • (40) Superior Will of the Controller - Control Duration/Recharge
  • (40) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge
  • (42) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance
  • (42) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance/Recharge

Level 28: Hover

• (42) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance

Level 30: Afterburner

• (43) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (43) Expedient Reinforcement - Damage/Endurance
  • (43) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (45) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
  • (45) Expedient Reinforcement - Resist Bonus Aura for Pets

Level 35: Fire Ball

• (A) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (45) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Ragnarok - Damage
  • (46) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance

Level 38: Maneuvers

• (48) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance

Level 41: Fire Shield

• (A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (48) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

Level 44: Fire Blast

• (48) Decimation - Damage/Endurance
  • (50) Decimation - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge

Level 47: Group Invisibility

Level 49: Rise of the Phoenix

• (A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance

• (A) Hecatomb - Damage
  • (11) Hecatomb - Damage/Recharge
  • (13) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (13) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (15) Hecatomb - Damage/Endurance

Level 1: Sprint

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Rest

• (A) Empty

• 3 weeks later

This is my current build, it's a little slow at finishing, but good at survival with 75 s/l res. And tbh, Indomitable Will barely helps when you need it. I'm wanting to put EM Pulse, and potentially Mutation in.

Hero Plan by Hero Hero Designer 2.23

Resistance Illrad: Level 50 Mutation Controller
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Spectral Wounds

• (A) Apocalypse - Damage
  • (3) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge
  • (3) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (5) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (5) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • (50) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal
  • (7) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb
  • (9) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (9) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
  • (11) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
  • (31) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance

Level 2: Blind

• (A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized
  • (11) Superior Will of the Controller - Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Recharge
  • (13) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge
  • (13) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance
  • (15) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance/Recharge

Level 4: Deceive

• (A) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused
  • (7) Coercive Persuasion  - Contagious Confusion
  • (17) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused/Recharge
  • (17) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Confused/Recharge
  • (19) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Recharge

Level 6: Radiation Infection

• (A) HamiO:Enzyme Exposure
  • (15) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage
  • (21) HamiO:Enzyme Exposure
  • (21) HamiO:Enzyme Exposure
  • (31) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff

Level 8: Accelerate Metabolism

• (A) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod
  • (23) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Recharge
  • (23) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Accuracy/Recharge
  • (25) Efficacy Adaptor - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (25) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Accuracy
  • (27) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Endurance

Level 10: Superior Invisibility

Level 12: Enervating Field

• (39) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 14: Group Invisibility

Level 16: Flash

• (A) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold
  • (29) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold/Recharge
  • (29) Unbreakable Constraint - Accuracy/Hold/Recharge
  • (31) Unbreakable Constraint - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (50) Unbreakable Constraint - Endurance/Hold

Level 18: Combat Jumping

• (19) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

Level 20: Phantom Army

• (27) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (33) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (33) Expedient Reinforcement - Damage/Endurance
  • (33) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (34) Soulbound Allegiance - Chance for Build Up

Level 22: Lingering Radiation

• (A) Tempered Readiness - Accuracy/Slow
  • (34) Tempered Readiness - Accuracy/Damage/Slow
  • (36) Tempered Readiness - Range/Slow
  • (36) Tempered Readiness - Endurance/Recharge/Slow
  • (36) Tempered Readiness - Damage/Slow

Level 24: Boxing

• (A) Crushing Impact - Accuracy/Damage
  • (39) Crushing Impact - Damage/Endurance
  • (42) Crushing Impact - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (43) Crushing Impact - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

• (A) Glimpse of the Abyss - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (37) Glimpse of the Abyss - Endurance/Fear
  • (37) Glimpse of the Abyss - Accuracy/Endurance
  • (37) Glimpse of the Abyss - Fear/Range
  • (39) Glimpse of the Abyss - Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • (42) Superior Overpowering Presence - RechargeTime/Energy Font

Level 28: Tough

• (A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%

Level 30: Weave

• (A) Soulbound Allegiance - Damage
  • (34) Call to Arms - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (40) Call to Arms - Accuracy/Damage
  • (40) Call to Arms - Damage/Endurance
  • (40) Call to Arms - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Soulbound Allegiance - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

Level 35: Indomitable Will

• (43) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage
  • (48) Reactive Defenses - Defense

Level 38: Choking Cloud

• (A) Basilisk's Gaze - Chance for Recharge Slow
  • (42) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Hold
  • (43) Lockdown - Chance for +2 Mag Hold
  • (45) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold
  • (45) Basilisk's Gaze - Endurance/Recharge/Hold

Level 41: Mind Over Body

• (A) Titanium Coating - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge
  • (45) Titanium Coating - Resistance
  • (46) Titanium Coating - Resistance/Recharge
  • (46) Titanium Coating - Resistance/Endurance

Level 44: Super Jump

• (A) Unbounded Leap - Jumping

Level 47: Hasten

Level 49: Hover

• (A) Accuracy IO

Grav or Earth + Storm are decent AV Killers as well.

Singularity/Stoney with Pet IOs can get super tanky (Sing100% res v everything immune to Psy/Toxic).

Grav/Earth also bring an Immo so AVs don't run.

Earth has better CC, Grave better ST damage.

I have never liked how 1 dimensional Ill/ is. It relies so much on PA.

Edited by Maxzero

If going Earth against AVs, I think I would suggest Cold as a secondary more than Storm. Storm in general, for going through other missions, since it helps kill faster... but Cold really makes Stoney a tough tank against AVs. Between Benumb's -Damage and the +Defense shields, he can tank a lot more than with Storm, and you get enough -Resist and -Regen to solo AVs even if it's not as fast. You trade off some killing speed against the easy AVs for the ability to handle more of the tough ones.

Storm's better overall, IMO, with a strong defensive set like Earth... but for tanking AVs, Cold really makes Stoney shine.

Same argument, BTW, with regards to Thermal... getting over 80% resist to Smashing damage as the weakest armor for Stoney, and everything else capped, is nuts and turns Stoney into an excellent single-target Tanker.

• Like 1