I’m so stupid!

Peacemoon

Tonight there was a call to fight Jurassic.  I switched from villain to rogue and made my way to Creys Folly and announced myself ready for Jurassic teammage.  I was informed I was already on a team (my friend didnt join the Jurassic chase). 

I forgot to quit team to join another team.  I mean we are talking basic mechanics here.  I'm so stoooopid lol.

Got on Jurassic team and he melted like butter.  Fun times!

On 3/23/2020 at 7:15 PM, Peacemoon said:

I just spent almost 2 hours trying to find Nightstar on the Maria Jenkins mission. The one with the floating islands and the heavy fog. I didn’t realise you could enter the big sphere at the back of the map until clearing the whole map and exploring everywhere multiple times! 😞 

It gets worse, I am a dark/dark/soul controller and the shadow enemies are resistant to negative. Ahh!!!

Help me feel better heroes, what’s the dumbest thing you’ve done on CoH? (Homecoming or live!)

I’ve never found Nightstar on that map.  Only Black Swan.  I’ll have to go back in and see if I can find him.

On 3/23/2020 at 6:15 PM, Peacemoon said:

I just spent almost 2 hours trying to find Nightstar on the Maria Jenkins mission. The one with the floating islands and the heavy fog. I didn’t realise you could enter the big sphere at the back of the map until clearing the whole map and exploring everywhere multiple times! 😞 

It gets worse, I am a dark/dark/soul controller and the shadow enemies are resistant to negative. Ahh!!!

Help me feel better heroes, what’s the dumbest thing you’ve done on CoH? (Homecoming or live!)

Hyperstrike, my first toon, ran through to Level 20 before I ever enhanced anything...
And I did the tutorial!

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

10 hours ago, Snarky said:

What would this macro look lime. And how would you edit it on the fly?

It's not a macro, but I can share how I use a bind-within-a-bind for this.  The idea is to make a "setup" bind so that one keypress does most of the work of creating another "on-the-fly" bind (for the key to perform the actual name-targeting command).

To create the "setup" bind, type the following in the chat window:

/bind SHIFT+tilde "beginchat /bind tilde targetcustomnext "

then press enter.  This is done once (per character).

To actually use the "setup" bind to create the "on-the-fly" targeting bind:

1) press shift+tilde (shift and the ~ key) which prints the first part of the "on-the-fly" rebinding command into the chat window and puts the typing cursor down there too,

2) type the name (or part of the name) of the thing you want to search for,

3) press enter.

4) pan your camera or move around the map and press the tilde key (by itself) occasionally until the thing is found.

You can use the keys you prefer by changing what I used in the setup bind.  Note that the on-the-fly bind will remain bound until the setup bind is used to rebind it.

19 hours ago, Snarky said:

What would this macro look like. And how would you edit it on the fly?

Useful targeting macros (note these are just basic grey circle macros, you can build them to use power icons with hover over text as well, but they are just the nitty gritty dirt macros)

/Macro Find, target_name "Clamor" //this will allow you to target Clamor if she is in targeting range.

/Macro Help, assist_name "Insert a team/league member name here" //this will make assisting through someone easy, useful for hammi raids especially.

Once you have the macros made, you can right click on them, and replace the name with whoever you're trying to target. I've used target_name for years in competitive PvP test league matches back in the day so we could make coordinating spikes super simple. This works well for finding pesky AV's, or honestly whatever type of mob you're looking for. You just have to update the names to be current.

23 hours ago, Crimsonpyre said:

Problem with DO's and SO's is you have to keep buying new ones as you level. The light bulb came on for me when I realized that a lvl 25 IO is the same as a lvl 50 SO, and it never losses it's bonus regardless of your level.

22 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

Eh, would love to respond, but I think I've derailed this thread enough...

18 hours ago, RikOz said:

Me, I don't start plugging in basic IOs until level 26, ever since I noticed that the bonus on a level 25 IO is lower than a 25 SO right up to character level 25, but the IO is better as soon as you hit level 26.

I don't use TO/DOs at all. I usually just buy a set of L15 IO's when my toon hits L12  (Sometimes I even get L10's at L7).  They're better than TO/DOs straight-up, you only need a few of them, and if you have any marketing savvy at all, you'll have plenty of inf to afford them (and, they're often *real* cheap in the AH - because a lot of folks think they're worthless).  Also, I don't run DFB's (I'm much more of a solo player), so I don't blow thru the first 20 levels in an hour...  😉   

21 hours ago, Snarky said:

What would this macro look lime. And how would you edit it on the fly?

10 hours ago, PirateCrew said:

It's not a macro, but I can share how I use a bind-within-a-bind for this.  The idea is to make a "setup" bind so that one keypress does most of the work of creating another "on-the-fly" bind (for the key to perform the actual name-targeting command).

To create the "setup" bind, type the following in the chat window:

/bind SHIFT+tilde "beginchat /bind tilde targetcustomnext "

then press enter.  This is done once (per character).

To actually use the "setup" bind to create the "on-the-fly" targeting bind:

1) press shift+tilde (shift and the ~ key) which prints the first part of the "on-the-fly" rebinding command into the chat window and puts the typing cursor down there too,

2) type the name (or part of the name) of the thing you want to search for,

3) press enter.

4) pan your camera or move around the map and press the tilde key (by itself) occasionally until the thing is found.

You can use the keys you prefer by changing what I used in the setup bind.  Note that the on-the-fly bind will remain bound until the setup bind is used to rebind it.

The one I use is:

CTRL+X "beginchat /bind ALT+X target_custom_next enemy alive NAME-HERE"

So, you press Ctrl + X and it pops up the /bind ALT+X part in your chat window... You change "NAME-HERE" to whichever Baddie you're looking for:  Sapper, Quantum, Malaise, etc.

Then, you just press ALT+X and if they're targetable, it locks on to them...

If you need to look for a different Baddie, just press Ctrl + X again, and repeat the process with a new name...

As for dumb things, the list is lengthy. I've done the overbid thing, I've sniped at a passing purple guy with a lowbie (and got 1-shot for it), got lost looking for stuff (particularly in CoT maps) etc.

One of the funniest things I ever saw though was my friend (who LOVES superjump). We're in the lobby in a warehouse mish, and he's hopping around like a mexican jumping bean on crack, and he literally gets stuck between the wall and a light fixture.  Even /stuck wouldn't get him out.  Hilarious.

Cheers,

I constantly make dozens of mistakes all the time, but some of my bigger ones...

1) Wanted to adjust my costume at level 6 before trainers had the feature, and was afraid of the high level Steel Canyon mobs--so I got Hover and crossed the entire zone at 2 miles per hour.

2) Solo ran Manticore thinking that "set AVs to Elite Bosses" would help the last fight. I cut my losses when I realized my error.

3) Made a melee-only Blaster for a fun challenge run. Between "fun" and "challenge" only one of those ended up being true--take a guess!

10 minutes ago, Tugzug said:

1) Wanted to adjust my costume at level 6 before trainers had the feature, and was afraid of the high level Steel Canyon mobs--so I got Hover and crossed the entire zone at 2 miles per hour.

I did that all the time!  So many costume tweeks...which cost inf as tailor tokens were rare at the time.  I didnt usually hover, I did the death run....die near south train and run carefully up the west side.  Costumes are important!

9 hours ago, Tugzug said:

Wanted to adjust my costume at level 6 before trainers had the feature, and was afraid of the high level Steel Canyon mobs--so I got Hover and crossed the entire zone at 2 miles per hour.

I was lucky...  Had one of the box sets where acess to the Tiki Room and it's tailor was a bonus.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

8 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

I was lucky...  Had one of the box sets where acess to the Tiki Room and it's tailor was a bonus.

Oh, this was long before that Tiki Room ever existed--it was close to the start of my CoH days, back in issue 4 or issue 5.

• Like 1

Back when I was a noob tank I caused a team wipe. Respec mission, surrounded by purples. We were fighting one group of Skyraiders then I foolishly taunted a second group. I ran and survived (hooray for heroism!). Luckily the team didn't realise it was my fault. I never did that again.