I made water under glass!

Cutter

Likely a known thing, but for me who rarely goes beyond the basics of a box with NPCs and teleporters, I was pretty impressed with myself for figuring out how to place water beneath a glass floor in my base!

hootsbaseglasswater.png.a41b53ecef17f8a32d51ec8ed7714d9e.png

image.thumb.png.ecc7f5599127c1e98c92c874223fe683.png

• Like 4

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

I make water after a few glasses, myself: does that count? 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

2 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Now all you need do is place the water above a glass ceiling and you'll have yourself a fancy underwater base! 😃

That's going to involve clipping outside the geometry, right?

@Cutter

1 hour ago, Cutter said:

That's going to involve clipping outside the geometry, right?

I think you will have to press F3 in the editor to enable room clipping, yes.  Set your ceiling style to "Open Sky" and raise the water vertically until it is at/above your ceiling, then do the same with the glass.  You will need to flip the glass over 180 degrees first as there is on texture on the bottom of it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

I think you will have to press F3 in the editor to enable room clipping, yes.  Set your ceiling style to "Open Sky" and raise the water vertically until it is at/above your ceiling, then do the same with the glass.  You will need to flip the glass over 180 degrees first as there is on texture on the bottom of it.

OK, so far so good. I had to rotate the water as well to get the reflections showing up.

New glitch (or oddity, whatever): I have some of my high wall sections with trim, and some without, and I don't understand the hows and whys. Help?

Near a corner (the glass "floor" is in the corner)"

image.png.e07c9210c1898a184f689f5b363c6a26.png

In the middle of the room:

image.thumb.png.f9249577f1fa9f4b2dcf70ebf3958caf.png

Edit: I figured the simple workaround of just setting Ceiling Trim to "None". I'd still like to find a way to set a trim style and have it apply uniformly through the room. It's a single 5x8(?) room so there shouldn't be any connectors causing the issues.

Edited by Cutter
workaround of sorts

@Cutter

1 hour ago, Cutter said:

I'd still like to find a way to set a trim style and have it apply uniformly through the room.

You will never see trim in doorways.

Other than that, make sure that everything is at least 2 grid spaces away from edges and it should reappear.

• Thanks 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

13 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

Other than that, make sure that everything is at least 2 grid spaces away from edges and it should reappear.

I'll give that a check and see if there's something interfering. (And yeah I know about the doorway trim lackage - drives me nuts cause I hate that interrupted flow!)

@Cutter

Far too much time later, and this is by far the most interesting base I've built, in terms of actually attempting to decorate 🙂

I know it's small potatoes compared to some of what's out there, but hey, baby steps right? Anyone interested in checking out a reclaimed abandoned underwater Circle of Thorns lair on Excelsior? Plug HOOTS-10096 into your favourite base TP macro. I'd love to hear some critique and suggestions on what I've done so far. My two burning questions: 1) What sky effect best shows off that there's water above the glass, and 2) Is there a way to make the base plot bigger??

Edited by Cutter

@Cutter

9 hours ago, Cutter said:

1) What sky effect best shows off that there's water above the glass, and 2) Is there a way to make the base plot bigger??

I think what sky to use depends on what look you are going after.  Atlas Park or Praetoria sky would work well I think, just keep in mind that there is a night/day cycle with open skies.  As to make the plot bigger, when you are in your entrance room, click the "Upgrade Plot Size" button.  You can select a larger plot there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

I think what sky to use depends on what look you are going after.  Atlas Park or Praetoria sky would work well I think, just keep in mind that there is a night/day cycle with open skies.  As to make the plot bigger, when you are in your entrance room, click the "Upgrade Plot Size" button.  You can select a larger plot there.

Some good skies that do not have a day/night cycle include Cimerora (day) and Space (night). 

• Thanks 1

Character portrait artist for hire, PM for details!

Commissions: Closed, Sorry

• Community Rep

It's easy to get rid of all the trim on both the floors and the ceiling. Go to "Pick Style", look at the various categories, there is one for floor trim, and one for ceiling trim. Choose the tab of the trim you want to get rid of, and you will see the options include an option for "none".

-Dacy

• Like 1

So I'm discovering (as I expect pretty much every builder has) that starting from small and building out causes a whole shwack of its own issues. I've upsized my plot - too large - and changed the overhead water style - too small for the plot. Plus having to add rooms piecemeal makes things really choppy and broken. It's a good learning experience tho. I'm placing lots of island pieces to cover some of the gaps, and will look at adding flat land to the rest. Once that's done, I want to work on actually building to outside, even if it's just a doorway to allow folks to fly around and see it from the top. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I've been looking through the other tips threads too. And again, if you're on Excelsior, feel free to stop in and have a look.

@Cutter

• 2 weeks later
On 3/25/2020 at 7:29 PM, Redlynne said:

The way trim is interrupted bothers me so much I have started hand placing it. Huge amount of work but the rooms I've done look fabulous. Look at this hallway corner intersection!

screenshot_200404-18-44-18.jpg

Edited by Erydanus
  • Like 1

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!