Snarky

Update 250 city of titans

Just got that in my email. So we should have another superhero mmorpg any year now

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Just got that in my email. So we should have another superhero mmorpg any year now

Maybe, it looks like there's still a TON of work yet to go before they have a functional game.  I'm not sure it'll actually launch unless they get a sponsor and are able to hire full time developers for it.  The last I looked it seemed like they were maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the way there after what, 7 years now?

Don't get me wrong I'd love for them to succeed, I tossed them a few bucks on the kickstarter when they started out.  I just think they drastically underestimated the amount of work required.

• Sad 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

I want to like where they're going, but something about the world and the art style looks a bit... uncanny valley to me. I lost interest when they were showing those mogul buildings, some of them were really shoddy. Some straight up ugly. There's a tonal deadness and lack of depth that I'm finding really irksome in the images they've been showing. I can see a few very, very poorly scaled textures too, even in recent images. I realise that this is an independent development and that there's room to touch up, but that sort of thing really takes me out of the world. Looking back at that alpha demo of CoH that Solarverse dug up, Paragon City looked pretty dire too, so maybe I'm being too judgey too early. Even at this stage when they're showing things off, I think a bit of fog for atmospheric perspective would go a long way, even if it was just photoshopped in.

Maybe it will be different as an interactive experience.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snarky said:

I also participated in the Kickstarter, but I've yet to be impressed by anything I've seen. Honestly at this point I'm more interested in the development narrative (project management and software development) than I am interested in the game.

Believing is hard.

Disbelieving is easy ... especially in a forum post.

I choose to believe.

I'll let others attempt to corner the market on crying DOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!!!™

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I hope they finish and I hope it's a good game. 

Even more I hope they can stay clear of Microtransactions.  I will never ever ever ever buy a game with microtransactions ever again. It colors the development angle to "how can we motivate people to buy" instead of "what makes it fun".

I'm totally on board with a subscription fee if they need ongoing money. 

But not microtransactions.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 11:47 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

I just think they drastically underestimated the amount of work required.

Seems they didn't really make use of the legion of coders and etc. people who wanted to help, like they just banded together and only ran with the ones who stuck around, rather than trying to manage farming out work.

50s (Indom and Excel):  Bluefox (Rad/Beam Rifle Corr), King Pumpkin Spice 🎃 (Mercs/Nature MM), Stupid Like A Fox (Time/DP Def), Poltergeist Prince (Darkness Control/Empathy 'Troller), Capt Sam's Space Zoo (Beast/FF MM), Snake Charming (Mind Control/Poison Troller), The Midnight Bridge (Storm/Rad Blast 'Fender)

1 hour ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Seems they didn't really make use of the legion of coders and etc. people who wanted to help, like they just banded together and only ran with the ones who stuck around, rather than trying to manage farming out work.

To be fair, in ANY volunteer organization, you're going to have people who volunteer and then don't show up to do ACTUAL work ... while others volunteer and actually show up and actually DO the work.  After that, there tends to be an evolutionary self-selection process that results (go figure) where the people who stick around stick around, while those who don't ... don't ... (shocking, I know).

The simple fact of the matter is that actually MAKING a game isn't all that FUN.  It's a lot of blood, sweat and tears ... and for a group of volunteers trying to produce on a budget 1% (or less in this case) what a major publisher would be throwing at the effort, I'd say that the MWM team has a LOT to show for what they've done.  They keep getting closer and closer to a game that's WORTH PLAYING, and they've made sure that the foundational fundamentals of what they're doing are strong enough to survive for decades (since we know another game that didn't do that but is still around and being actively played and developed for even after shutdown).

And as I like to tell people ... Urban environments are DENSE ENVIRONMENTS that have more "stuff" per cubic meter of volume than any other kind of environment.  Wilderness is cheap and EASY by comparison!  Wilderness is relatively sparse in terms of assets and the variety of assets needed to populate the space, and everything tends to be more 2D than 3D in a Wilderness type of environment.  Not so with an Urban environment!  In an Urban environment there is STUFF ... EVERYWHERE ... and that takes a good bit longer to world build than the alternative of a Wilderness environment that can be generated by procedure, touched up by a developer and ready to go in a lot less time than an Urban environment can.  And as if that wasn't enough, the Urban environment doesn't just stick to ground level ... it goes UP ... WAY UP ... and all of that has to be accounted for in the World Building.

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2020 at 7:46 AM, Redlynne said:

To be fair, in ANY volunteer organization, you're going to have people who volunteer and then don't show up to do ACTUAL work ... while others volunteer and actually show up and actually DO the work.  After that, there tends to be an evolutionary self-selection process that results (go figure) where the people who stick around stick around, while those who don't ... don't ... (shocking, I know).

I probably shouldn't say anything else as I used to work with them, but yeah.

Edited by Clave Dark 5
long-time spelling error

50s (Indom and Excel):  Bluefox (Rad/Beam Rifle Corr), King Pumpkin Spice 🎃 (Mercs/Nature MM), Stupid Like A Fox (Time/DP Def), Poltergeist Prince (Darkness Control/Empathy 'Troller), Capt Sam's Space Zoo (Beast/FF MM), Snake Charming (Mind Control/Poison Troller), The Midnight Bridge (Storm/Rad Blast 'Fender)

Posted (edited)

These so called successor projects have been spinning their wheels going nowhere for years now and will continue doing the same for decades to come until we all die of old age, but sure go ahead believing that maybe one day they'll finish and we can all play their game that has been superceded twenty years before it was even released...

Edited by drew1000

'Still wish them luck.

'Still expect... well... pretty much nothing but perpetual "updates" ultimately resulting in nothing.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 4:10 AM, Ashington said:

please notify me when they reach 350 so i can make the south park joke

th?id=OIP.L_T1uan26pd9TWuUMJSuRAHaEK%26p

I give it about a tree-fiddy chance of happening.

• Haha 1

OG Server: Pinnacle || Current Server: Torchbearer  || Also found on Indomitable & Excelsior (when needed)

Getting Started  ||  Dredd's Guide to Loading City of Heroes  ||  Install and Troubleshooting Guide v2

Mids' Reborn  ||  HeroStats  ||  Vidiot Maps  ||  QoL, Mods, etc  ||  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Old Forums  ||  Titan Network  ||  The City Representative (3rd party Info site for all servers)

Like I mentioned in the other thread, City of Titans is the only spiritual successor who aren't scammers or morons. They really do want to give us a finished game. However, I strongly doubt their ability to actually do it.