What sets would make a good sniper build?

The_Warpact

What sets would make a hard hitting sniper build? Obviously EM as the secondary.

This will be more of a concealment type, focused on def especially ranged.

Was thinking Mace for Scorpion Shield instead of Cold Mastery.

Any thoughts from the snipers out there?

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

i always blap, & i see what you're after with EM's B.Range, but...

if we're primarily trying to make the snipe hit hardest, then you'll want 22% ToHit at all times. you can get there via Kismet + Tactics (boosted via +5, or some of the time via PowerBU) ...or you could go with a 2ndary that already has more than enough added ToHit (like Devices, which also has the "concealment" you're after), which would allow focusing on other bonuses. like Def... which i know Scrop.Shield is the easy go-to, but i much prefer trying to take a Res power like Charged, which covers the most common dmg types (SLE). it'll stack with Tough, which you'll have anyway, and you can go Rune & Melee Core to cap S/L with status protection. Mystic Flight also gives you that easy-out if somethin nasty is in your face. then you can chase bonuses to build the Def up easily enough for just Ranged... maybe even all 3 if ya try.

^^^not the most common or easy way to build, but it's good times.

Most Primaries really with EM. I like AR/EM myself. With Flamethrower and Buckshot at 75 range and most everything else 150+, it's pretty fun and barely in any danger. The damage typing isn't great, Dark with a heal and hold or Fire with ++DPS probably does everything better, but I like it. I reach 30 ranged DEF easily from IOs and pop a purple and barely get hit and the S/L resist helps when I do, so I prefer Resist type like Fire Shield, but not every build can I suppose.

Arsenal Adams - Blaster (Assault Rifle).mxd

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krazie Ivan said:

i always blap, & i see what you're after with EM's B.Range, but...

if we're primarily trying to make the snipe hit hardest, then you'll want 22% ToHit at all times. you can get there via Kismet + Tactics (boosted via +5, or some of the time via PowerBU) ...or you could go with a 2ndary that already has more than enough added ToHit (like Devices, which also has the "concealment" you're after), which would allow focusing on other bonuses. like Def... which i know Scrop.Shield is the easy go-to, but i much prefer trying to take a Res power like Charged, which covers the most common dmg types (SLE). it'll stack with Tough, which you'll have anyway, and you can go Rune & Melee Core to cap S/L with status protection. Mystic Flight also gives you that easy-out if somethin nasty is in your face. then you can chase bonuses to build the Def up easily enough for just Ranged... maybe even all 3 if ya try.

^^^not the most common or easy way to build, but it's good times.

This is why I ask these questions, specifically for out of the box different perspective advice.

I'll build something on Mids to see the numbers.

Thanks!

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

1 minute ago, Hopestar said:

Most Primaries really with EM. I like AR/EM myself. With Flamethrower and Buckshot at 75 range and most everything else 150+, it's pretty fun and barely in any danger. The damage typing isn't great, Dark with a heal and hold or Fire with ++DPS probably does everything better, but I like it. I reach 30 ranged DEF easily from IOs and pop a purple and barely get hit and the S/L resist helps when I do, so I prefer Resist type like Fire Shield, but not every build can I suppose.

Arsenal Adams - Blaster (Assault Rifle).mxd 5.22 kB · 0 downloads

Once again another perspective that gives me something to think about. 

I'll look at build when I can get to my pc.

Thanks!

I thought Psychic Blast had some attacks that traveled at different speeds and in the right order they'd hit about the same time.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

53 minutes ago, Troo said:

I thought Psychic Blast had some attacks that traveled at different speeds and in the right order they'd hit about the same time.

Yeah I heard this too but, damned if I could remember it.

I second what @Hopestar said, AR is definitely the "at range" set with the "normal" attacks.  The ignite/flamethrower is gravy when teamed and a mob or AV is locked down, but the activation time, range limit, etc. is not great for a sniping build.

That said, while /EM is great because of boost range, I'd rather go AR/Devices, as the snipe gets MORE boost/buff from /Dev and it hits like a TRUCK.  Plus /dev is the best blaster secondary in the game, so you have much better survivability and utility than all other sets.  It pairs exceptionally well with AR.

That all said, AR is not the greatest for damage, but it is the most satisfying "at range" set to play in my experience.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:07 AM, ScarySai said:

Beam rifle has a +range buff built into it's snipe and a strong single target focus, but it's still pretty decent AoE when properly utilized.

For secondaries, I'd suggest /TA, /Devices or /Time for your purposes.

I believe all blast set snipes get that +Range (increasing their base 150' to 169.13').  I know AR and Fire snipes both are this range, in addition to Beam Rifle.  What I like about AR is the 90' on burst, and 100' on slug.

9 hours ago, r0y said:

I believe all blast set snipes get that +Range (increasing their base 150' to 169.13').  I know AR and Fire snipes both are this range, in addition to Beam Rifle.  What I like about AR is the 90' on burst, and 100' on slug.

I forgot about that change in my absence, so yeah - disregard that bit.

Still, beam seems right up the OP's alley.

Edited by ScarySai

The range bonus from using a snipe for roughly the base recharge time of it makes ranged nukes a bit more attractive. Beam/Tactical-Arrow is a good set of ranged abilities and self-buffs, and while it lacks a regular radial, it has full range on the nuke.

So even unslotted, opening with a slow snipe from 120ft immediately allows Overcharge to be your followup, probably with Piercing Beam aimed so as to kill or damage and -res at least three things. Range bonuses from the ATO (among others) will increase this effective range as well.

This for PVP or Regular game play ?

For PvP then I would say EM for boost range but you would have to team up with another sniper to spot and snipe with you as Boost range would put you out of actual clicking distance to target someone.. So you would have to target through another player. 

But it would imagine it to be effective for picking off players.