Difficulty in CoH: Community Discussion

Galaxy Brain

CoH Difficulty  

249 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on this topic? If you choose a selection with a blank space, please leave a comment with what you think!

• The game is too easy overall
    • The game is too easy during ____________
    • The game is easy only if you ____________
    • The game feels good overall, though leans towards being easy
    • The game's difficulty is just right
    • The game feels good overall, though leans towards being hard
    • The game is hard only if you ____________
    • The game is too hard during ____________
    • The game is too hard overall
    • I have another opinion (Please leave a comment!)

4 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

You know what might be interesting is to re-purpose the old Galaxy City map.  It is for all intents and purposes unused.  Some incarnate level Shivans would sort of work story wise. 

Right when I thought you weren't going to say anything in this thread I was going to agree with, you go off and prove me wrong.

Repurposing hazard zones would not (imo) address this issue that well; we have one incarnate/hard zone already (DA) and it seems to barely see play.

maybe a good feature would be letting group leaders set the exemplar level of TFs at start? Then it would be easy to play level 50s but still run at a pre-incarnate level

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

You know what might be interesting is to re-purpose the old Galaxy City map.  It is for all intents and purposes unused.  Some incarnate level Shivans would sort of work story wise. 

Aw dang, reading this got me pretty excited.

Someone get Jimmy on the line. or Positron. We need this by yesterday.

3 minutes ago, eiynp said:

maybe a good feature would be letting group leaders set the exemplar level of TFs at start? Then it would be easy to play level 50s but still run at a pre-incarnate level

THIS.

THIS ...

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

14 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

This is some excellent outside the box thinking. 

Speaking of re-using Galaxy City with Shivans, could the Shivan GM from DiB be ported over there to turn it into an invading army of incarnate level threats?  Hmmm..... Might be fun to fight a bunch of those all at once.

• Like 3

I think the player driven difficulty of the game is just fine for the most part, everyone gets to play in their own comfort level, and that is one of the greatest draws of the game compared to most others out there. Also, it is a Superhero (Villain) game, and you should feel Super, especially as you advance.

My solution to those that want more challenge (especially in group settings) would be a revamp of the character challenge settings, make it a pop up window with numerous options, like the Oroboros and TF difficulty/challenge settings, allowing the player to customize everything from difficulty level, team sizes, boss/eb/av spawns, incarnate powers, buffs/debuffs/limitations and so on... and have those choices be applied to any group they are the leader of, as if they were running a TF. People could customize their full personal difficulty as well as their team's difficulty, in every situation, from door missions to surface hunts. And those difficulty settings... beyond the standard +4/x8 AVs, etc... would perhaps give a percentage increase in rewards or reward drop chances, perhaps even a "Hard Mode" version of major badges akin to an MoTF badge, that would give slight benefit to playing at a higher difficulty. And would have zero impact on those that don't want to play at a "harder" level.

29 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

You know thatd be cool to revisit those Shivan's from the tutorial. Iirc those specific ones dont show up again?

Other than in Drowning in Blood.

Personally, I'd rather we see the hazard zones get content - and content that leaves a thread that can be revisited in an Incarnate-level map, instead of taking the zones away from those at that level range. (And honestly, redside needs more to go through, but that's a little more intensive work to create from scratch.)

I'd actually kind of hoped that was what would happen with DA on live. Get some "teasers" and content saying "SOmething's happening" that you visit in  your 20s, maybe a contact throws you back there from 35=45 to update it, then you get the IncarnateAstoria.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 minute ago, Greycat said:

Other than in Drowning in Blood.

Personally, I'd rather we see the hazard zones get content - and content that leaves a thread that can be revisited in an Incarnate-level map, instead of taking the zones away from those at that level range. (And honestly, redside needs more to go through, but that's a little more intensive work to create from scratch.)

I'd actually kind of hoped that was what would happen with DA on live. Get some "teasers" and content saying "SOmething's happening" that you visit in  your 20s, maybe a contact throws you back there from 35=45 to update it, then you get the IncarnateAstoria.

Forgot about DiB! Havent run it in a bit lol

I'd love if they had some fresh arcs in the existing zones for their level. But then, you have like "New Boomtown" for example that you revisit after playing the arcs in the old version once you're (Incarnate) that has some altered assets and new content.

Like imagine running the hollows low level, then come back later and see that the CoT and Outcasts teamed up and made super-elementals that need your attention.

As for redside, could offer the same deal but maybe you're using your Incarnate power to cause the trouble instead of help fight it.

2 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

As for redside, could offer the same deal but maybe you're using your Incarnate power to cause the trouble instead of help fight it.

I'd quite like to see the existing hazard zones become available for both sides. Villains can head to those areas of Paragon City and carry out some villainous arcs. Like Co-op zones without the Co-op. Or PvP zones without the PvP.

Plus, villains making deliberate attacks on Paragon could help the issue of redside not feeling villainous enough.

• Like 1

There are things I can solo on max diff that I probably shouldn't be able to.

There are things I still can't solo on max diff.

Master of badges have probably become too easy.

I can still bite off far more than I can chew with the majority of my characters the majority of the time.

So, a bit too easy post 50. (Thus my calls to remove two of the three levels shifts and only allow the one left to be used for incarnate level stuff.)

Pretty much just right before that.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

Right when I thought you weren't going to say anything in this thread I was going to agree with, you go off and prove me wrong.

Something about your comment just didn't sit right with me and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then it hit, you missed a golden opportunity here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I Have Another Opinion:

The game gives you all the tools you need to tweak your own sensation of difficulty.
It is not the game's fault if you do not take advantage of all of those tools.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

You know what might be interesting is to re-purpose the old Galaxy City map.

I see all the likes and 'please do this' and I'm wondering if I'm the only one remembering that Galaxy City is effectively Boomtown now.  You'd have to re-make the map, not just re-purpose the old one.

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

16 minutes ago, skoryy said:

I see all the likes and 'please do this' and I'm wondering if I'm the only one remembering that Galaxy City is effectively Boomtown now.  You'd have to re-make the map, not just re-purpose the old one.

Make it accessed through Ouroboros and that is not a problem.

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

56 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

I Have Another Opinion:

The game gives you all the tools you need to tweak your own sensation of difficulty.
It is not the game's fault if you do not take advantage of all of those tools.

While true, this is like saying if you want to play SM64 in hard mode try to use the 30 A presses method as an intentional challenge. As I pointed out in another thread in the Suggestions forum, players naturally want to boost their characters and the tools to do so are abundant and the knowledge readily accessible. Conservative IO building is likely very very common just through naturally playing the game, and saying "well don't do that" is saying that to get a real challenge, ignore a huge chunk of what the game naturally guides you to do.

32 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

Make it accessed through Ouroboros and that is not a problem.

But isn't that the whole point of the Echo: Galaxy City?

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

You do realize that at the rate you're going, you're going to wind up with an Echo: Galaxy City Tutorial For Incarnates ... that hardly anyone will visit (see: New Dark Astoria for why).

IifneyR.gif

5 hours ago, Lines said:

You mean like Dark Astoria?

Exactly but with a higher level of difficulty, or turn up the mob levels in Dark Astoria. As it is now, it's still a cake walk for incarnates.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

1 minute ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Tbf, DA was meant for alpha slot wasn't it?

DA is plenty challenging for a new 50 with few if any set bonuses and no Incarnate powers or just an alpha.

The game doesn't need to be radically altered, we just need new content designed for powerful Incarnates.  It may take a while.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crimsonpyre said:

Exactly but with a higher level of difficulty, or turn up the mob levels in Dark Astoria. As it is now, it's still a cake walk for incarnates.

spacer.png

Try solo street sweeping New Dark Astoria while Level locked at 46 ...

IifneyR.gif