March 31 patch and its effects on the marketplace

Yomo Kimyata

45 minutes ago, America's Angel said:

I wonder if the price dips are due to players mass-buying out their competition for lowest position?

I had about 100 enhancements sell in 30 seconds yesterday for just above my asking price. Any money made from flipping them would get eaten by market fees, so I can only assume it's so the buyer can:

• A) clear out all the enhancements being sold for lower than his/hers
  • B) Relist said items higher to break even on them 
  • C) A combination of A&B driving the price upwards, allowing his/her own versions of the item to still sell high.

So yeah, I reckon the low prices are just market PVP.

My concern is that demand feels soft.  There are a few major markets where 300-600 supply above normal levels entered the fray, and I would expect those prices to come down a bit.  But there are others where supply is, on the surface, only marginally higher and yet prices are a few mm lower.  To me that signifies a lack of demand.

I'm definitely not above buying a few hundred of something if I think I can net 2mm profit after taxes on it, but at this point in time I'm a better seller until I see demand come back.

Who run Bartertown?

Are you selling items in bulk in those other markets with decreased demand? Or just going by last 5?

Because I'm still selling 50-100 items per day for 4mil that always have 2-3mil listed on the last 5.

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

4 hours ago, America's Angel said:

Are you selling items in bulk in those other markets with decreased demand? Or just going by last 5?

Because I'm still selling 50-100 items per day for 4mil that always have 2-3mil listed on the last 5.

I craft and list all day EST just a mil or so above the last 5 prices shown and won’t get a single sale until about 5p EST....and then will sell several dozen all at once at the higher price.  By 10-11p EST they will start dropping again, sometimes rapidly.

In a few niches where qty for sale is small relative to demand and there’s scarce “easy” conversion seed recipes available, I have made bank putting in low bids on same items I’m selling high and basically buy back twice what I sell....just to repeat this same model the next night.

Can’t do this forever though.  Eventually someone floods that category so I have to stay spread across a number of areas.

Ive also noticed a few highly volatile low level procs recently.  They can swing wildly from as low as 1mm to as high as 7-8mm between weekday and weeknight demand.

Edited by Crysis

It's a bit puzzling to me - mainly because I don't spend a lot of time checking in with the market. 

I used to sell the LotG for 7M, and get it, and sometimes more, rather routinely. Then...a few days after the 2xInf nerf, one or more folks thought it would be profitable to sell a zillion LotG 7.5% for as low as 4M. Needless to say, my stuff didn't move. 

Numina procs kept moving. 

Preventative Medicine Absorb procs were schizophrenic. One would sell for 8m (an extra zero?) and the last 5 would show 1.5m, or 2m.. or less...which makes very little sense to me, given the utility and demand for this IO. 

The KB to KD Sudden Acceleration was selling routinely for 4m, but again, one or more folks thought it would be fun to sell it for less than the crafting costs. 

Aegis and Unbreakable Guard would seemingly change in demand - one day, Aegis would sell for 4M or more, while the other would sell for 2-3M. Lately, Aegis has been dropping to 2M or so, and staying there. I guess part of that is explained by fewer future Fire Farmers opting to not farm - so they don't need that set bonus anymore. 

The new Power Transfer Chance to Heal had a lot of volatility when it came out - to be expected - but even now, I've had some sell for 7M, and others not move at 3M. 
The end mod for Perf Shifter continues to stun me - selling for 2-3m, while the power transfer end mod would sell for 800k-1.5m. Do people not want regen vs movement speed? I don't even use perf shifter's end mod anymore, opting for the regen bonus from power transfer when slotting two. 

Rather than go IO by IO, in summary: 
I can completely understand some folks wanting things to be cheaper. But unless rare salvage drops to 100k or so, it doesn't pay to craft a lot of the IOs that used to sell for 3-4 million like pancakes at IHOP on a Saturday morning. (and now I'm hungry!) 

I have a number of brutes that are afk farm characters that are logged off. Even at 75k for converter, I think it's now more lucrative to just not craft, except for very specific recipes - Resist, Defense and maybe Health. The rest, I think are just vendor material. 

I think the value of inf is at a point where now that I've made over 100 Billion, with IOs being so cheap now, I don't have to farm, nor do I have to do TFs unless I want a badge or something...there's nothing left to do other than try new sets/ATs. 

I've thought about buying every single IO in my "niches", and reselling for the old prices. I believe I have the resources to do that kind of thing, but it makes me feel cheap and dirty. In some ways, that feels like griefing to me. I don't necessarily want newer players to struggle to make their characters viable. I want them to have uber builds like mine. Why would I want to carry them through content? 

Until I see things change, I'm just going to alt a LOT. 

• Like 1

While I think there might be a dip in demand, I really think is that there is an abundance of supply.  Lots of people have learned the joys of converter roulette and have joined the market as sellers.  And, as expected, competition leads to lower prices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

While I think there might be a dip in demand, I really think is that there is an abundance of supply.  Lots of people have learned the joys of converter roulette and have joined the market as sellers.  And, as expected, competition leads to lower prices.

Pretty much this. I  . . . wouldn't care if someone tried what the poster before you suggested, as I can just convert the ones that don't exist into ones that do. In fact I did that for half the set IOs in my last two level 50s. /shrug.

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

It's a bit puzzling to me - mainly because I don't spend a lot of time checking in with the market. 

I used to sell the LotG for 7M, and get it, and sometimes more, rather routinely. Then...a few days after the 2xInf nerf, one or more folks thought it would be profitable to sell a zillion LotG 7.5% for as low as 4M. Needless to say, my stuff didn't move. 

Numina procs kept moving. 

Preventative Medicine Absorb procs were schizophrenic. One would sell for 8m (an extra zero?) and the last 5 would show 1.5m, or 2m.. or less...which makes very little sense to me, given the utility and demand for this IO. 

The KB to KD Sudden Acceleration was selling routinely for 4m, but again, one or more folks thought it would be fun to sell it for less than the crafting costs. 

Aegis and Unbreakable Guard would seemingly change in demand - one day, Aegis would sell for 4M or more, while the other would sell for 2-3M. Lately, Aegis has been dropping to 2M or so, and staying there. I guess part of that is explained by fewer future Fire Farmers opting to not farm - so they don't need that set bonus anymore. 

The new Power Transfer Chance to Heal had a lot of volatility when it came out - to be expected - but even now, I've had some sell for 7M, and others not move at 3M. 
The end mod for Perf Shifter continues to stun me - selling for 2-3m, while the power transfer end mod would sell for 800k-1.5m. Do people not want regen vs movement speed? I don't even use perf shifter's end mod anymore, opting for the regen bonus from power transfer when slotting two. 

Rather than go IO by IO, in summary: 
I can completely understand some folks wanting things to be cheaper. But unless rare salvage drops to 100k or so, it doesn't pay to craft a lot of the IOs that used to sell for 3-4 million like pancakes at IHOP on a Saturday morning. (and now I'm hungry!) 

I have a number of brutes that are afk farm characters that are logged off. Even at 75k for converter, I think it's now more lucrative to just not craft, except for very specific recipes - Resist, Defense and maybe Health. The rest, I think are just vendor material. 

I think the value of inf is at a point where now that I've made over 100 Billion, with IOs being so cheap now, I don't have to farm, nor do I have to do TFs unless I want a badge or something...there's nothing left to do other than try new sets/ATs. 

I've thought about buying every single IO in my "niches", and reselling for the old prices. I believe I have the resources to do that kind of thing, but it makes me feel cheap and dirty. In some ways, that feels like griefing to me. I don't necessarily want newer players to struggle to make their characters viable. I want them to have uber builds like mine. Why would I want to carry them through content? 

Until I see things change, I'm just going to alt a LOT. 

Converters pretty much mean you won't be able to do that. At least not for long even if you tried. But that's for not. LOL

Edited by golstat2003

2 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

... as I can just convert the ones that don't exist into ones that do. In fact I did that for half the set IOs in my last two level 50s. /shrug.

This is usually what I do when I am opening up a second (or third) build or the first level 50 respec. The new build has a 'shopping list' of uncommon/rare pieces and as I'm playing roulette I will stop as I stumble across the pieces I need. The SG storage has a small supply of non-PVP/Superior/ATO pieces which are commonly used across builds, almost entirely sourced from the converter roulette of pieces that didn't end up on the market.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

Pretty much this. I  . . . wouldn't care if someone tried what the poster before you suggested, as I can just convert the ones that don't exist into ones that do. In fact I did that for half the set IOs in my last two level 50s. /shrug.

That's what I would do, too. In fact, that's exactly what I do - I play converter roulette until I get what I can use. I'd almost rather burn through 10 million of converters to not pay 7million for an IO. Almost. 

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

That's what I would do, too. In fact, that's exactly what I do - I play converter roulette until I get what I can use. I'd almost rather burn through 10 million of converters to not pay 7million for an IO. Almost. 

I have a sort of guideline and it depends on how cranky I get.  If I’m trying to play converter roulette for a particular Proc or piece I want/need, I’ll spend no more than 6 in-set flips (18 converters) before I’ll stop and just sell what I have and buy what I need.  I figure with the RNG not smiling on me it’s time to move along.

Doesnt apply to PVP, Purps or Winter pieces.  Those are worth the converters.  I hoard those by the hundreds.  Wish I’d never sold a single one in the early days of the game.  I’d farm and get several per session and just sell the uncrafted recipes because I couldn’t be bothered to slow down and craft them.  Dumb of me.