A Kheldian, But Not

Have you ever considered using the concept of Kheldians as a character's origin, but not actually rolling them as a Peacebringer or Warshade? 

A while back I was thinking it would be interesting if a Kheldian bonded with someone with super powers and just amped them up. You sort of see that with Rommie on the ITF.  My first thought was a grav/dark controller where the Dark Affinity powers are explained as coming from a warshade while the gravity control powers come from another source, maybe mutant powers. Great excuse to tint the singularity black and purple eh?  You could also pretty much hand wave a lot of energy and dark blast characters in the same way. Or you could flip the concept.

I'm currently playing a Warshade who was originally a Malta Gunslinger and as I'm struggling through the rough early levels it did occur to me that if I'd just played a gun/devices blaster dressed up as a Gunslinger and then picked a dark epic and had that be the Kheldian powers, the concept would have worked pretty much just as well, just without being able to be a space squid.  Then I also thought I could just roll a 2nd character and do that build and use a visual trick to name them the same (swap a one for a letter-L in the name or the like). It would be liking having 2 builds, but leveled separately.

I may have too much time on my hands here. 

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

• 3 weeks later

I did a little differently, I made a Rad/Energy Sentinel that I role play as a Praetorian Peacebringer, with the different timelines, there are different powers and styles between the two realities. I made a macro so that when I pull my "oh shit" Overload power, it changes my costume into a spectrum version of myself with an intense aura to try to mimic the Light Form power.

• Like 2

Take a look at the backstory for PeaceBringers and Warshades. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XroAWgGCTcrqSzP5Ea_OPENsHFDNMkJdWVI-0Nmmnrc/edit (credit to Septipheran for posting this in another threat)

To enable the peacebringer or warshade powers, a light or dark Keldian must join in symbiosis with a host, willing or not in some cases. Thematically, I could see splitting the set into a primary / secondary sets to mix and match a bit. But realistically, It just doesn't work with the way the game is set up. Either it is a full WS/PB or it is not.

I would like to see mixing and matching powers across sets, but they game is in no way balanced for that.

On 3/31/2020 at 1:28 PM, Erydanus said:

Have you ever considered using the concept of Kheldians as a character's origin, but not actually rolling them as a Peacebringer or Warshade? 

People using Kheldian (particularly PB) powers and playing as a non-Kheldian has been a thing since live.

I've also done it the other way and had "fake Kheldians (typically Energy/Energy blasters and Gravity control characters) - usually either the result of Nictus experimentation, "force of will" or something else (it's a bit of a long story. 🙂 ) Including a mix - grav/energy dom.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

• 9 months later

I hate to necro a thread, but it's definitely on-topic.  I've been integrating Kheldian lore into my own sci-fi universe ever since Homecoming came back, and since we have alternate universes and the ability to travel between them, it really opens up what you can do with your characters. 

In my universe, the Kheldians died out millennia ago, and infused the last of their energies into a series of artifacts scattered around the local group of galaxies, in order to preserve what was left of them.  As the younger races began to explore the stars, they came into contact with these artifacts.  One of the first human races to do this was the Koronisians of the Koronis Galaxy, in their alternate universe.  Centuries later, a rebellion forced the members of the ruling dynasty and their loyal supporters to flee through an experimental artificial wormhole which left them stranded in Praetoria.  From there they eventually gained access to Primal Earth.  But since some of these humans had latent Kheldian energy flowing through them (a legacy of the artifacts their ancestors had found), when they crossed universes, it attracted the attention of living Kheldians in Primal Earth (and possibly Praetoria as well).

Because of peculiarities having to do with a lineage of humans who for so long have been the masters of Kheldian energy (subconsciously at least), when living Kheldians come into contact with Koronisians, it often results in the Koronisian enslaving the Kheldian, instead of the other way around.  Though not always the case, some of the more nefarious members of the Koronisian refugees have discovered this opportunity to gain the enhanced powers of a living Kheldian (much more powerful than the latent energies they already possessed).  This has opened the door for some very unconventional Kheldian builds coming from my own universe.  I call these Koronisian Kheldians (K-Khelds).

Here is one such character, who embodies the idea of "Rules are made to be broken".  I'm using him to push just how far I can push the alignment system and mechanics of the game.  He is a rogue-aligned Peacebringer in Praetoria.

Khyron.png

And yes, I am aware of the Shadowstar connection.  Since my universe actually predates the release of City of Heroes (and I do mean the original) by a few years, and I had already been using the name Shadowstar, when I created the version of my universe to use in City of Heroes, I decided to connect them to the Kheldians in such a way as to suggest that the Koronisian Shadowstar lineage could in some way be an alternate reality version of the Primal Earth Shadowstar.

Edited by Shadowstar