Best Brute

Unrandom

I would go /da /elec 

I haven't played Rad so I can't comment.

but /da /elec in my experience are the most well rounded and I've soloed 54x8 on both.  If you wanna solo 54x8 you need well rounded defensives because there's a huge variety of mobs trying to kill you.

Edited by Dz131

nearly every defense set has a glaring hole of some kind that penalizes you against one or more specific enemy types. If you are looking for one character to effortlessly tackle every enemy group in the game, the closest you are going to get will be with anything using dark armor. however dark armor has issues with knockback and end management until you io it out. 

9 minutes ago, Dixa said:

If you are looking for one character to effortlessly tackle every enemy group in the game, the closest you are going to get will be with anything using dark armor. however dark armor has issues with knockback and end management until you io it out. 

As you say, knockback and endurance management can be fixed with IOs. What can't be fixed with IOs is /Dark's weakness to cascading defense failure, even if it's a weakness shared with many sets. I'm managing that with Barrier and resistances high enough that Barrier caps them for 30 seconds.

Just now, Werner said:

As you say, knockback and endurance management can be fixed with IOs. What can't be fixed with IOs is /Dark's weakness to cascading defense failure, even if it's a weakness shared with many sets. I'm managing that with Barrier and resistances high enough that Barrier caps them for 30 seconds.

the fact dark can pretty much cap all but toxic resists makes up for the cascading defense failure, which affects all but SR really. 

On 4/6/2020 at 10:29 PM, Haijinx said:

A Strong Pairing for a new player would be War Mace / Willpower

Simple, easy to build but very strong attack chain (One of the best available) 

Nice AOE ability  

A secondary with good Endurance Recovery that is also good for survival and benefits a lot from team buffs. 

I happened to make and fall in love with a WM/WP brute yesterday before reading this thread, and I'm having trouble finding builds and am still too new to make my own build.

Do you have a build suggestion? It doesn't even have to be noob friendly or cheap, just something to strive for. 

Just use a Spines/Fire for farmer and roll something else for your "main" content.  I just did my Firse Spine/Fire without Incarnate yet, tore through a test farm with no problem.  Was expensive, but looking at a cheaper alt account character build to drag behind the main and double the damage to speed through a couple more maps a day.

Alternative is Bio, easy to cap out all Defense types less Psi/Toxic but leaves damage lacking.  Also huge burst regen on this build I made, but its mids paper theory.. Bio gives a lot of easy options to max Defense types.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I have several level 50 brutes:

Street Justice/Willpower

Radiation Melee / Electric Armor

Staff Fighting/Regeneration

Dual Blades/Fire Armor

Of these, the one I'd recommend to a new player is the StJ/WP.  Very straightforward to play.  You do get some minor 'combo' nonsense with Street Justice, various buffs you get by using some attacks and unleash with others, but on a Brute that mechanic can largely be ignored.  Unlike Titan Weapons, which is unpleasant to level, does not exemp well, nothing locks you out of any of your attacks before you build them up.  On a Brute you are self-buffing by generating Fury so you can ignore the limited 'combo' business if you choose.  When the attacks have been primed a gold ring appears around their icons, which is straightforward.

The most powerful brute here IME is the Rad/Electric.  This works like a Spines/Fire or /Bio, in that you just have to wade into mobs and they start dying.   This is a bit more complicated to build than the StJ/WP, and endurance issues may be daunting before Power Sink.

The Staff/Regen was a science experiment, built to see if it were possible to build a Regen brute that served as an adequate tank.  You start from way behind if this is your goal, and building this will take deep knowledge of the invention system and other complex systems.  Regen has one thing going for it: it's as good at level 29 as it's ever going to get (outside your 15 seconds of Glory), so it works great if you plan on exemping down to run lower level strike forces and such.   Regen also gets fun to play early thanks to Quick Recovery at level 4. 

Dual Blades has a complex combo system I wouldn't recommend to first timers.  That system means needing most of the attacks in your primary.  I paired it with Fire Armor because there's a lot in Fire Armor that can be skipped.  Fire Armor is like Regen in one respect: everything in the armor set that actually works directly towards keeping you alive is available by level 16.  So it's better for lower level content than it is for 50+, but you aren't starting from way behind like you are with Regen.   You will need IO help against knockback playing this. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• 1 month later

WM/EA is unquestionably Strong and Pretty. Nothing else comes close.

But and honorable mention goes to Savage/Ice. Very late blooming, but sick survivability AND truly insane AOE and ST DPS, If you build it right.

There is a lot of...hate-on for the typed defense sets, but most of that is based on legacy performance prior to -rech, heals, end mods, and -def resistance... post-incarnates those sets, with the right build, tend to outperform even the 'favorites' like rad and dark... but sometimes it's hard for people to forget that it isn't I12 anymore. The favorites were set long ago, so never expect to hear much about ice and ea.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2020 at 7:18 PM, Without_Pause said:

If I wanted something to farm S/L maps and for general content, I would pick Spines, Rad, or TW with /bio or /rad.

Minor update, I'm not a fan of two of the primaries so I did roll a Rad/bio as I figured it would be a good candidate to "break the world" with and got it to 42. Still not 100% set with Bio, and Rad will likely be forever 2nd tier for me. Not surprising, but still interesting to see other secondaries die on the vine for me and keep coming back to how smooth WP is. I rolled a couple WM characters and got the brute to 39, but it just doesn't click for me so I deleted both.  The speed of the set doesn't work for me and it was paired with /elec, so yeah. Currently working on a new Staff/dark as neither set has been rolled for HC and I only got a /dark brute on live in the 30s if that.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

41 minutes ago, Frostweaver said:

But and honorable mention goes to Savage/Ice. Very late blooming, but sick survivability AND truly insane AOE and ST DPS, If you build it right.

There is a lot of...hate-on for the typed defense sets, but most of that is based on legacy performance prior to -rech, heals, end mods, and -def resistance... post-incarnates those sets, with the right build, tend to outperform even the 'favorites' like rad and dark... but sometimes it's hard for people to forget that it isn't I12 anymore. The favorites were set long ago, so never expect to hear much about ice and ea.

EA is great, and has been great since Issue 21.  The only issue it has is that gaping Psionic damage hole.  It definitely comes into play in Praetoria and Incarnate content.  But everything has a hole, and a great many toons have trouble handling Praetoria, so that's definitely nothing to hold against it.

3 hours ago, Apparition said:

EA is great, and has been great since Issue 21.  The only issue it has is that gaping Psionic damage hole.  It definitely comes into play in Praetoria and Incarnate content.  But everything has a hole, and a great many toons have trouble handling Praetoria, so that's definitely nothing to hold against it.

What psi hole? (grin)
I abuse energize, and just smashed through the Alpha trial yesterday solo with +3/x8 and to be fair, I never even noticed the honoree until I smashed him green. Admittedly I didn't have AV's turned on, but still... I was using my 'cheap' build.

Edited by Frostweaver

On 5/30/2020 at 2:51 PM, Frostweaver said:

Do you by chance have a build for the savage/ice? 🙂

59 minutes ago, WillParkinson said:

Do you by chance have a build for the savage/ice? 🙂

Sure.
a little heads up about using it though.
Ice looks, on the surface, to be a typed defense set. But it really isn't... It's part typed, part resist, craptons of heal, craptons of +hp, and the most important part- some of the best -recharge and -damage around. All of it's tools are meant to be used, with nothing 'useless'. Even Hibernate is crashless, you lose aggro but with CE you immediately pick it back up again and you are usually only IN hibernate for a few seconds in order to get rid of any debuffs and recharge your HUGE hp bar.

With the new IO's, energy absorption, with your near-cap HP, is a darned fine heal as well. Once you get incarnates, double-stacking both it and hoarfrost are no problem, and you slam face-first into the HP cap... which is not really a problem.

Please note that this is the 'el cheapo' version. I have a MUCH more expensive version that uses hasten instead of hibernate, slightly lower defenses and higher resists, and has triple the recharge reduction, but I am still in the process of getting it built so I cannot vouch for it's abilities yet. I may share it later.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Brute
Primary Power Set: Savage Melee
Secondary Power Set: Ice Armor
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Force of Will
Ancillary Pool: Pyre Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Maiming Slash -- SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury(A), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(3), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(7), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(9), Ksm-ToHit+(9), Rct-ResDam%(11)
Level 2: Hoarfrost -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(11), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(13), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(15), GldArm-3defTpProc(34)
Level 4: Chilling Embrace -- Taunt-I(A)
Level 6: Shred -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(21), Obl-Acc/Rchg(23)
Level 8: Vicious Slash -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(23), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(25), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), FrcFdb-Rechg%(27)
Level 10: Wet Ice -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 14: Tough -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), Ags-ResDam(27), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(29), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(29), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(31), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 16: Glacial Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31)
Level 18: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(33)
Level 20: Energy Absorption -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-EndMod(33), PwrTrns-+Heal(33), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(34), LucoftheG-Def(34)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def(A)
Level 24: Weaken Resolve -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), Acc-I(36)
Level 26: Rending Flurry -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(37), Obl-Acc/Rchg(37)
Level 28: Blood Thirst -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(39), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(39), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(39), GssSynFr--ToHit(40)
Level 30: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 32: Savage Leap -- SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(A), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(42), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(42)
Level 35: Icicles -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(A), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(43), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(43), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(43), OvrFrc-End/Rech(45)
Level 38: Permafrost -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(45), Ags-ResDam(46), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(50), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 41: Char -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(45), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(46), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(46)
Level 44: Melt Armor -- AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg(A)
Level 47: Fire Ball -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(48), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(50)
Level 49: Hibernate -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Fury
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(15), Pnc-Heal/+End(17)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), PrfShf-End%(17), PrfShf-EndMod(19)
Level 1: Blood Frenzy
Level 50: Melee Core Genome
Level 50: Void Judgement
Level 50: Reactive Core Interface
Level 50: Agility Partial Core Revamp
Level 50: Ageless Partial Radial Invocation
------------

• Like 2

On 4/8/2020 at 4:31 PM, Werner said:

meh, it's not vulnerable to cascading resist failure, or cascading debuff failure. Or even cascading heal failure, so it's in a pretty good spot 🙂

2 hours ago, Frostweaver said:

Even Hibernate is crashless, you lose aggro but with CE you immediately pick it back up again and you are usually only IN hibernate for a few seconds in order to get rid of any debuffs and recharge your HUGE hp bar.

I'm curious, do you think an Ice Armor Brute gets more mileage out of Hibernate than a Scrapper does from Icy Bastion?  I've got a Savage/Ice lowbie sitting in the figurative green room, and when it came time to decide Brute v Scrapper, I ended up flipping a coin. It came up Scrapper.  😁

honestly, no clue. I haven't played ice armor on a scrapper. I know that stalkers desperately NEED bastion to avoid pushing up daisies, and they NEED to kill off the aggro that put them there before it wears off... but tankers and brutes are vastly tougher.... just the momentary downtime is more than enough to let them smash whatever put them there.

6 hours ago, Frostweaver said:

Sure.
Ice looks, on the surface, to be a typed defense set. But it really isn't... It's part typed, part resist, craptons of heal, craptons of +hp, and the most important part- some of the best -recharge and -damage around. All of it's tools are meant to be used, with nothing 'useless'. Even Hibernate is crashless, you lose aggro but with CE you immediately pick it back up again and you are usually only IN hibernate for a few seconds in order to get rid of any debuffs and recharge your HUGE hp bar.

With the new IO's, energy absorption, with your near-cap HP, is a darned fine heal as well. Once you get incarnates, double-stacking both it and hoarfrost are no problem, and you slam face-first into the HP cap... which is not really a problem.

Please note that this is the 'el cheapo' version. I have a MUCH more expensive version that uses hasten instead of hibernate, slightly lower defenses and higher resists, and has triple the recharge reduction, but I am still in the process of getting it built so I cannot vouch for it's abilities yet. I may share it later.

Reveal hidden contents

Level 50 Mutation Brute

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Maiming Slash -- SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury(A), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(3), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(7), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(9), Ksm-ToHit+(9), Rct-ResDam%(11)
Level 2: Hoarfrost -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(11), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(13), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(15), GldArm-3defTpProc(34)
Level 6: Shred -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(21), Obl-Acc/Rchg(23)
Level 8: Vicious Slash -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(23), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(25), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), FrcFdb-Rechg%(27)
Level 14: Tough -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), Ags-ResDam(27), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(29), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(29), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(31), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 20: Energy Absorption -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-EndMod(33), PwrTrns-+Heal(33), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(34), LucoftheG-Def(34)
Level 26: Rending Flurry -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(37), Obl-Acc/Rchg(37)
Level 28: Blood Thirst -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(39), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(39), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(39), GssSynFr--ToHit(40)
Level 32: Savage Leap -- SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(A), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(42), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(42)
Level 35: Icicles -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(A), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(43), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(43), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(43), OvrFrc-End/Rech(45)
Level 38: Permafrost -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(45), Ags-ResDam(46), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(50), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 41: Char -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(45), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(46), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(46)
Level 47: Fire Ball -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(48), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(50)
------------

I thank you very much for sharing. It's most kind of you. I'm good with the cheap version now, but if it's as good as you say, I might be peeking around the corner and asking about that more expensive version later. 😉

1 minute ago, WillParkinson said:

I thank you very much for sharing. It's most kind of you. I'm good with the cheap version now, but if it's as good as you say, I might be peeking around the corner and asking about that more expensive version later. 😉

Once I get finished buying all the winter enhancements and give it a good solo ITF test or three I will probably be happy to tell you how it does.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Six Six said:

if you're patient, wait for the winter event this year. Winter sets were 50% off last time. that adds up to a tonne of inf. 😃 it's how I got most of my winters.

Not remotely patient 🙂 I usually have a 50 to rig up about once a week.
But I have a couple bil influence on various characters, so I usually just blow about 500 mil at a time on winter packs, and make a bit of profit on the stuff I don't need and a bunch of the extras.
usually I can recoup my expenses even after I equip the character

For me I have done three brutes to fifty on live and here.

DM/WP, BA/SR, and Psi/DA.

For easy mode to play my DM/WP was amazing to use and good for some high level fun. Cannot say about farming, but you can handle most enemies with ease.

After that I gotta say I love my Psi/DA build. I know it will not be too tier, but near capped resistance with Incarnate alpha, and capped def on melee. It just feels great, while end was rough it is good to close up. It is something a bit different, but man once it gets going you are a beast.

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

On 6/5/2020 at 1:41 PM, Frostweaver said:

Sure.

Reveal hidden contents

Level 50 Mutation Brute

Hero Profile:
------------

I'm excited to give it a go! Made it to fourteen and he's doing beautifully.