Facepalm react

5 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

. . . a thought occurs.

What if Facepalm added Rep?

I certainly can't speak for everyone, but I can see that making it a less enticing prospect for bullying.

I dunno. Rep is its own stigma. I noticed recently I had "won the day" 3 times. When I went back to see what merited "winning", I thought it would be for one of my guides or for discovering a bug fix. Nope. One day happened to be a slow day that I made some joke that might've gotten 7 likes, the other two were from getting into an argument over a powerset capability. If dumb jokes and flame wars are what earns rep, I'd rather live anonymously answering questions and problem solving. 

But I digress. To your point, I'd hate to see the rep-seekers out there try to chase rep by purposely posting nonsense just for the "face-palm" reaction. Incentivizing people to be vile, obnoxious, or what have you...I dont think that's healthy for the forums.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

1 minute ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

Hmm, so a pendulum swing in the other direction is your prediction?

Although, given how easy it is to give/get Rep right now, and the general lack of interest in it . . . I'm starting to think it's more likely that +Rep_Facepalm wouldn't have much of an impact in either direction.

My prediction is if you implement a face palm reaction (without rep), it will result in it being used as a means to demean others on the forum (bad). If you implement a face palm reaction (with rep), it will still result in it being used as a means to demean others on the forum (bad), but will also figuratively feed the trolls on the forum that want to stir up flame wars (also bad) and relish in chasing "notoriety" for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

On 4/12/2020 at 6:04 PM, Blastit said:

Would it actually make for a better forum environment?

It also seems linked to the forum reputation system.

I'm not sure a facepalm should add to your reputation?

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

To be maximally clarifying the Thanks, HaHa and Like reactions add +1 to forum reputation.

The Confused ans Sad reactions add +0 to forum reputation.

Allowing a Facepalm reaction to also add +0 to forum reputation would be in keeping with the Confused and Sad reactions.

Note that there is no -1 to forum reputation option.

Forum reputation is a one way ratchet.  The Confused and Sad reactions still get recorded, they just don't "move the needle" at all on forum reputations.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I'm not a fan of a Facepalm reaction for the reasons already outlined by others so well.  It's only purpose would be mock others opinions, and we don't need more tools to do that in the forums.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

• 1 month later
  • 2 months later
On 4/5/2020 at 3:48 PM, Oubliette_Red said:

Can we get a Facepalm react for forum posts please.

For some posts Sad or Confused just don't convey the right emotion, but a Facepalm will do the trick.

I personally find the *confused* face to be a tool for trolls. Especially when they hit the confused react button yet fail to give a reason why they are just so confused by it. Adding a face palm react emoji would probably put the nail in the coffin for me when it comes to using these forums. I would rather keep these forums as clean and positive as possible. I would personally even like to see the *confused* emoji be trashed if it were up to me. So this will be a hard no from me.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I still contend that many community members use the Confused reaction for exactly what it is:  A way to expression confusion to a post that was made.  No one is under any kind of obligation to explain what they find confusing, and it is not inherently a hostile act.  The Reactions are a passive means of expressing valid opinions, whether they add to a user's Reputation score or not.  Really, the "calling out" or reaction-bombing of those users are significantly more negative.

Of course, this is my personal opinion on the matter.  I don't believe we ever received an official ruling from the Homecoming Team or GMs on what their views of the Reaction/Reputation systems are.