Flag Emblems

ZeeHero

1 hour ago, ZacKing said:

really?  Like how many legit flags of countries out there have drawing of someones genitals on it? 

In all fairness, I think he was thinking that you could customize your flag in any way imaginable with my idea. I don't think he realized at that time that my idea restricted "flag making" to straight lines and in game symbols.

First off, not a "he."

Second, if it's all just lines and existing in-game assets, how might someone create the following real-world flags?

Flag Tibet Stock Illustrations – 400 Flag Tibet Stock ... image.png.5e28f52160bd5fffa831329c7256ff86.png  image.png.58d0a36317c6713cea0511e3904fe143.png a capital wasteland: Fun with Canada's provincial flags! 

Third, I welcome anyone who doesn't think people can make obscenities with just simple lines and shapes to consider the simplicity of a lot of obscenities.  Taking a stroll in a neighbourhood with lots of graffiti may give some excellent examples.  Or a grade-schooler's notebook.

Edited by ImpousVileTerror
One of the flags double-posted.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

First off, not a "he."

Second, if it's all just lines and existing in-game assets, how might someone create the following real-world flags?

Flag Tibet Stock Illustrations – 400 Flag Tibet Stock ... image.png.5e28f52160bd5fffa831329c7256ff86.png  image.png.58d0a36317c6713cea0511e3904fe143.png a capital wasteland: Fun with Canada's provincial flags! 

Third, I welcome anyone who doesn't think people can make obscenities with just simple lines and shapes to consider the simplicity of a lot of obscenities.  Taking a stroll in a neighbourhood with lots of graffiti may give some excellent examples.  Or a grade-schooler's notebook.

You are taking a pretty hard stance to this, given this game's history (or rather player's history) I can kind of see where it's coming from. However, I did not say every Flag consisted of straight lines...I did emphasize on the word "most." Secondly, straight lines can be moved in any which direction. Maybe even with a drag tool those lines can be bent to help create curvature. If a flag can not be perfectly produced, I am sure people can be creative enough to come up with something close.

For an example, I have a character named, Captain Cornwall. Have you seen the flag for Cornwall? I improvised as best I could, but with a tool such as the one mentioned, I could get a lot closer.

gb~corn1.gif

If I had such a tool available, I could make this costume be a much more closer resemblance to the actual flag.

screenshot-200610-20-12-16.jpg

As far as controlling people, the same rules would apply as they do to names. And somebody running around with a penis on their chest, I honestly can't say would get very far without players reporting that player.

Edited by Solarverse

It feels more like an all or nothing if we're getting into discrimination and combativeness. IDK enough about the coding to know how well it would handle the 2+ color issue myself either, but in terms of What flags, then the (hopefully) Simplest answer would be the current list of recognized nations by the UN. I think that would make something like 140+ IIRC.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Flag emblems in a game have nothing to do with racism. CO has flag emblems. if they could do it so can we.

no one likes an SJW. No one is even thinking of racism or being racist. this is 2020, most of us are so far beyond racism it doesnt even come to mind easily. let it go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

In a perfect world I would say, sure.

Yet, in a perfect world we would have 1 flag, representing humility, honor self sacrifice and self aware consciousness.

In the current world, I sadly say barely 49% no vote.

Not yet, it's touchy and there's complexity, currently.

1 hour ago, ZeeHero said:

Flag emblems in a game have nothing to do with racism. CO has flag emblems. if they could do it so can we.

no one likes an SJW. No one is even thinking of racism or being racist. this is 2020, most of us are so far beyond racism it doesnt even come to mind easily. let it go.

Thanks for the laugh. Any more stupid shit to say?

Edited by MunkiLord
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

More stupid shit? I haven't started yet so no.

to clarify racism exists but to normal decent people its abhorrent and not what we think about normally.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

You know, you have all types of people who see the world with different perspectives. People who believe Racism is just everywhere you look and that everyone must be racist. Then you have the people who are just completely blind to racism and actually think it only exists in people's minds. Then you have the people who can step outside the box and take a logical look at it all and know that racism exists, but it's neither all or none...it's somewhere in between.

Then you have some people who are desperate to want the world to know they aren't racist, which just makes them look even more racist when they say and do things that is way out of the way with their attempt to prove they aren't racist. Then you have the people who are completely racist and they want the world to know all about it. Then you have the people who aren't racist, but they don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone. They just live their lives without caring if you think they are racist or if you think they are not racist. it does not matter to them one way or another, because they know what they are, and they don't need anyone's approval to feel good about themselves.

All I can say is for 100% fact is this...regardless of how you see the world, you must recognize the insanity of the people in the world right now. Everyone has just completely lost it and are feeding off each other's heightened emotions. You also must recognize that the majority of the people in the world all want the same things...a peaceful and enlightening existence where we all are allowed to live out our lives without fear of others. We all want this world to be a better place for everyone. We just can't seem to agree on how to get there.

To address your question, I honestly don't think he/she said anything stupid. He/she just has a different point of view from a different perspective. I do see racism in the world still existing; and then I also see people calling out racism where there was none. This whole flag thing seems to have hit a touchy subject when racism was brought into the conversation shortly after it was mentioned that people might feel offended because their country might not get represented. I think it kind of built up from there and flew off in to left field somewhere. I get the premise of what @ZeeHero was trying to say though, the whole thing with racism and people being offended over a their flag not being represented seems very unfounded. I think this was where the SJW's comment came in, people speaking for others when others have a voice of their own. It's people worrying about things before there is even anything to worry about, people over thinking things instead of finding helpful solutions. I assume this is what @ZeeHero  was trying to make a point about.

I agree to some extent. I do think people are making a much bigger deal than what it actually is. People are speaking up and taking a stand for countries that may not even have anyone playing this game. We should all relax and just try to be a bit more patient with one another.

And if what I said was "stupid" then that's okay, if that's the dumbest thing I have ever said, I think I can live with that.  😄

On 6/9/2020 at 8:18 AM, Solarverse said:

Like I said earlier, most flags consist of straight lines. Any symbols inside of them would be rescaled symbols of what we already have. Straight lines and symbols in game make it pretty cut and dry.

There are a good number of flags that definitely don't use symbols we have in game.(Simple, common one - a banner or ribbon with a logo. More complex - Arabic language.) And coats of arms can get pretty complex, even with "common" shapes. It would be a nightmare - and that's before considering how to display them on a character. Yes, many flags are simple shapes. Many are not.

Honestly, given how touchy and passionate people can get about any symbol, I'd say - as much as I'd generally like to see them - keeping them out of the game would probably be a good idea. There are just too many pitfalls, from "why is my country not included" to "I want to use this historic flag, why is it not included" and ... just any number of other flag-represented groups. It seems like a good way to really annoy some Christians (of different sects,) people who want the Confederate flag, people who want the Nazi flag... even those who want less controversial but still unrepresented flags.

No, let's leave them out of the game.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

Honestly, given how touchy and passionate people can get about any symbol, I'd say - as much as I'd generally like to see them - keeping them out of the game would probably be a good idea.

Why?  If this were true, there are already symbols in the game that could upset someone somewhere.  If this is the stance to take, then may as well remove any kind of symbol from the game so as not to offend anyone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Greycat said:

Honestly, given how touchy and passionate people can get about any symbol, I'd say - as much as I'd generally like to see them - keeping them out of the game would probably be a good idea. There are just too many pitfalls, from "why is my country not included" to "I want to use this historic flag, why is it not included" and ... just any number of other flag-represented groups. It seems like a good way to really annoy some Christians (of different sects,) people who want the Confederate flag, people who want the Nazi flag... even those who want less controversial but still unrepresented flags.

The hammer and sickle in the game was on the flag of the most murderous, oppressive regimes in human history and there's no one complaining about it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZacKing said:

The hammer and sickle in the game was on the flag of the most murderous, oppressive regimes in human history and there's no one complaining about it. 

They probably will complain about it now that you have mentioned it, lol.

This is actually quite ridiculous. Once upon a time, people weren't so easily offended.

Edited by Solarverse

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

This is actually quite ridiculous. Once upon a time, people weren't so easily offended.

When would that be? People have gone to war over these symbols and what they represent.

4 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Why?  If this were true, there are already symbols in the game that could upset someone somewhere.  If this is the stance to take, then may as well remove any kind of symbol from the game so as not to offend anyone.

I highly doubt people get upset over, say, a pawprint, a musical note or the Vanguard logo.

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

12 hours ago, Solarverse said:

And if what I said was "stupid" then that's okay, if that's the dumbest thing I have ever said, I think I can live with that.  😄

Everyone is focusing on the wrong thing, I'm not even getting into the racism part. Once I saw SJW used as a negative/criticism I dismissed everything else. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Greycat said:

When would that be? People have gone to war over these symbols and what they represent.

What symbol have people gone to war over? I'm a huge history buff, so if this is true then you have caught my interest and I would like the chance of being educated here, but according to what I have learned, war has always been over pursuit of power, religion, money, land and jealousy. I cannot recall any war even being waged over a symbol...at least not yet. The only symbols that bring any harsh feelings are the Rebel Flag and the swastika, however, no war has been waged over those two symbols.

13 minutes ago, Greycat said:

I highly doubt people get upset over, say, a pawprint, a musical note or the Vanguard logo.

We do have symbols though that according to some, may get upset over...as in perhaps the Star that most use to represent the United States. Although to the best of my recollection, nobody has even gotten upset over it...at least not yet.

12 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Everyone is focusing on the wrong thing, I'm not even getting into the racism part. Once I saw SJW used as a negative/criticism I dismissed everything else. 

I can see that being a valid point. It's along the lines of calling somebody a Trumptard or the likes. So I can respect that. Good call.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Someone somewhere out there may see the paw print as a symbol representing animal cruelty.  I am sure we can come up with examples of how just about any symbol in the game can have a negative connotation to it.  Should we remove all of them too?

8 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Someone somewhere out there may see the paw print as a symbol representing animal cruelty.  I am sure we can come up with examples of how just about any symbol in the game can have a negative connotation to it.  Should we remove all of them too?

Of course not, that's not a real question you're asking. We all make judgements every day on how much weight we give opinions and feelings of other people. We do this as individuals and as communities.

Not all concerns and offenses are equal, and nobody in the world treats them as such. Ever in the history of humans. So including something so extreme is little more than a distraction to the actual topic at hand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Greycat said:

What about the hammer and sickle?  The nuclear explosion?  radioactive symbols?  native American themed icons?  Guess those all gotta go too.

2 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

We all make judgements every day on how much weight we give opinions and feelings of other people.

yeah except some seem to think their opinion has more weight than others. 

4 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Not all concerns and offenses are equal, and nobody in the world treats them as such. Ever in the history of humans. So including something so extreme is little more than a distraction to the actual topic at hand. 

You are right.  I forgot the door only swings one way on these things.  My bad.  😉