Flag Emblems

ZeeHero

I'll admit, I have an Energy/Energy Brute, named "Red Havok" who well, yes, does have the Hammer-and-Sickle on his tanktop.  

Thematically, the character is NOT a nice person.  2nd Generation, never forgave his father for bringing them to America where they lived in the poor side of King's Row, murdered his own father after years of daddy issues, and is basically an unthinking brute on a rampage.  I don't interact with other PLAYERS that way.  To other PLAYERS I try to be as polite and helpful as I can, regardless of which character I'm logged into and regardless of what that character's headcanon'd backstory may be.  But I admit I would be kinda "awwww" if I had to give up the chest emblem on him. 

Is he a Cold War Stereotyped character?  Oh you betcha.  Will someone find it offensive?  Probably. I never really thought about it in those terms before reading this thread, but logically, someone, somewhere, will look at him and say "really? you think everything can be reduced to a 1980's us-vs-them fear?".   Are there plenty of examples you could draw from comic books that do the exact same thing though?  Oh yes, most certainly. 

Uploaded images, I don't think you can really get to work, because in order to render on each person's machine, the image needs to be present on each person's machine as part of the game's data. So maybe you could SUBMIT an image, but until it were somehow APPROVED by the devs, it would not become part of the game's files.  So anything too offensive should just be laughed out of the house, and the offending uploader could very easily get a strike added to their account depending on how far the devs thought he crossed the line. 

OTOH, I could totally see the devs saying "and why do we want to open this barrel of migraines?  What's our motivation here?  I have enough to deal with without people second guessing which costume designs I approved or disapproved."   So I would not be surprised at all if zero changes are made, no matter how many players want a change, just status quo in perpetuity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

So a little intolerance and cultural appropriation is acceptable?  Just want to make sure I understand you here. 

Next time use the full quote:

Doesn't mean we should open the avenue to add more or ones that are EVEN MORE intolerant.

With that said a review process that was mentioned above would prevent this, as it would give HC a chance to screen them.

1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

Could the same not be said for the swastika?  The meaning of it has not changed in Hinduism or Buddhism yet I very much doubt you will find anyone wanting it included in the game.

As long as there is a screening process where HC themselves could block the submission, I have no issue.

I don't trust anything having to do with user generated content. Not after the debacle that is AE.

And if there are some existing offensive symbols, petition the GMs to have them removed. (I mean in general not specific to this poster).