Energy Blaster recommendation

Fatalplus

5 hours ago, Caulderone said:

You have misunderstood the attack mechanics here, as that isn't how it works.  You only get to use the highest of the applicable defenses.  You only get one roll on defense.  I assumed you wanted the S/L defense for when in melee range to nuke.

Quote from the linked article just before the part you quoted:

>> * You are only allowed to use the best defense you have against an attack with multiple classes.

AND from the section you quoted

>> Then it picks the biggest of those, and adds it to your base defense, if any.

Here are the paragonwiki articles on attack mechanics and defense:

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Attack_Mechanics 

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Defense 

Quote from that article:

>>Example: Deflection Shield gives a Defense bonus against Melee Attacks, Smashing Attacks, and Lethal Attacks. Glacial Armor gives a Defense bonus against Energy Attacks and Negative Energy Attacks. A Tanker with both these buffs is ambushed by a nasty Council Vampyri who tries to hit her with Siphon Life. That power is tagged as a Negative Energy Attack and a Melee Attack. Our Tanker will only be protected by one of her two Defense buffs. Lucky for her, it will be whichever is larger.

The important part from the quote:

>> Our Tanker will only be protected by one of her two Defense buffs

>> it will be whichever is larger.

I suggest, if you don't believe me or understand those, that we move this discussion, as it really isn't part of this topic.

Hmm, I guess I didn't understand those.  Thanks for correcting me.  But if that's the case, then wouldn't soft-capping S/L defense still make sense for dealing with melee, instead of resistance?

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

4 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

Hmm, I guess I didn't understand those.  Thanks for correcting me.  But if that's the case, then wouldn't soft-capping S/L defense still make sense for dealing with melee, instead of resistance?

Trade-offs.  The resists would work all the time on all of the damage you take.  The S/L defense would be useful for the melee attacks when in range for Nova, which is fairly brief.

Neither is wrong, frankly.  Just trade-offs for personal preference.

Edited by Caulderone
  • Like 1

I was playing with this and my Elec/SR sentinel build got better because of it.

I also played with the Energy/Energy build and came up with an Energy/Time version that I really like.

That lead to Elec/Time to match up with the sentinel, too, but that's a different subject.  I blame Rathulfr for making too many things pop in my head.

Here is the Energy/Time version of the build I posted earlier as another alternative.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Energy Blast
Secondary Power Set: Temporal Manipulation
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Thn-Acc/Dmg:33(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx:33(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg:33(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:33(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:33(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:33(7)
Level 1: Time Wall -- EnfOpr-Acc/EndRdx:50(A)
Level 2: Power Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg:50(7), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(21), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(23), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(23), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect:50(25)
Level 4: Hover -- Ksm-ToHit+:10(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel:50(13), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:33(13), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:33(15)
Level 6: Power Burst -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg:50(15), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(17), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(17), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(19), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%:50(19)
Level 8: Sniper Blast -- ExcCnt-Acc/Dmg:33(A), ExcCnt-Dmg/EndRdx:33(9), ExcCnt-Dmg/ActRdx:33(9), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rng:33(11), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rchg:33(11), ExcCnt-Stun%:20(21)
Level 10: Chronos -- AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg:33(A), AdjTrg-ToHit:33(25), AdjTrg-Rchg:50(27)
Level 12: Aim -- GssSynFr--ToHit:33(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg:33(27), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx:33(29), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx:33(29), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx:33(31), GssSynFr--Build%:21(31)
Level 14: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB:10(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:33(50)
Level 16: Maneuvers -- Rct-Def:33(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx:33(31), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg:33(33), Rct-Def/Rchg:33(33), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:33(33), Rct-ResDam%:20(34)
Level 18: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit:33(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg:33(34), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg:33(34)
Level 20: Temporal Healing -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx:33(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg:33(36), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg:33(36), NmnCnv-Heal:50(36), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:33(37), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:30(37)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%:20(37)
Level 26: Explosive Blast -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg:33(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech:33(39), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End:33(39), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech:33(39), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech:33(40), OvrFrc-Dam/KB:33(40)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:33(A), LucoftheG-Def:33(40), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:33(42)
Level 30: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:33(A), LucoftheG-Def:33(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:33(42)
Level 32: Nova -- Arm-Dam%:50(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg:50(43), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(43), Arm-Acc/Rchg:50(43), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx:50(45), SuddAcc--KB/+KD:21(45)
Level 35: Charged Armor -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx:33(A), TtnCtn-ResDam:33(45), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:33(46), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg:33(46)
Level 38: Time Lord -- GldArm-3defTpProc:10(A)
Level 41: Afterburner -- BlsoftheZ-Travel:50(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:33(46)
Level 44: Grant Invisibility -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:10(A)
Level 47: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:25(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:25(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth:15(A)
Level 2: Rest -- IntRdx-I:50(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I:50(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End:10(A), Mrc-Rcvry+:20(48), Prv-Absorb%:20(48)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod:50(A), PrfShf-End%:21(48), PwrTrns-+Heal:21(50), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg:33(50)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
------------

Edited by Caulderone
to != too
  • Like 1

Here's my 50+3 EB/TM Blaster.  Very similar, except I go for soft-capping S/L defense again.

I'm considering replacing Explosive Blast with End of Time, so that I have a mini-nuke at level 16.  I think it might be a nice one-two punch with Nova.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Rathstar EBTM: Level 50 Science Blaster
Secondary Power Set: Temporal Manipulation
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(5), Apc-Dam%(5), FrcFdb-Rechg%(7)
Level 1: Time Wall -- GrvAnc-Hold%(A)
Level 2: Power Blast -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(43), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(45)
Level 4: Time Stop -- Lck-Acc/Hold(A), Lck-Acc/Rchg(11), Lck-%Hold(11), Lck-Rchg/Hold(13), Lck-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(50), Lck-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(50)
Level 6: Power Burst -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(17)
Level 8: Sniper Blast -- ExcCnt-Acc/Dmg(A), ExcCnt-Dmg/EndRdx(19), ExcCnt-Dmg/ActRdx(19), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rng(21), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rchg(21), ExcCnt-Stun%(23)
Level 10: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 12: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(23), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(25), Ksm-ToHit+(25)
Level 14: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(27), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27)
Level 16: Maneuvers -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(29), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(29), Rct-Def/Rchg(48), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 18: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(33), GssSynFr--Build%(33)
Level 20: Temporal Healing -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(33), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(34), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(34), NmnCnv-Heal(34), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(36)
Level 22: Kick -- Acc-I(A)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 26: Explosive Blast -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(37), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(37), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(39), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(39), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(39)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(40), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(40)
Level 30: Chronos -- RctRtc-Pcptn(A)
Level 32: Nova -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(43)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(46), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 38: Time Lord -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(46), ImpSki-Status(46)
Level 41: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Time Shift -- SphIns-%ToHit(A)
Level 47: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Invisibility -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(7), Prv-Absorb%(9)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(9)
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Agility Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Diamagnetic Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Longbow Core Superior Ally 
------------

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

While avidly reading this thread and fully intending to steal use Rathulfr's build, I am reminded of a puzzlement, one that I see in many 'level 50' (as opposed to leveling) builds. I certainly don't mean to point out Rathulfr as being bad for doing this, nor do I mean to point this out as a bad thing at all. I think I know the 'why' behind it, but maybe I'm off-base.

Nutshell: in many of the 'level 50' builds I see, slots are assigned (almost as a rule) to the first power taken (T1 primary), until 6 slots are assigned or the intended number of slots for that power are reached. Then, the next power (T2 primary) starts getting slots or the first of the secondary powers (T1 secondary) begins accruing slots, until 6-or-intended. And so on. There doesn't seem to be any attention paid to how exemplaring might affect the slotting of a given power; this is the build at 50, and that's that.

Is that it, that it kinda doesn't matter for a 'level 50' build when the powers get their slots, as long as all the powers get the right number of slots that the build calls for? I will say that it's not that hard at all to 'remake' one of those 'level 50' builds such that the slots are assigned 'evenly' and it all comes out much the same in the end. Just a little bit of time, and I've done it a handful of times already.

Sorry for the hijack, and thank you, Rathulfr, for your build and the advice you give above. Energy Blast has been my favorite since I first entered Paragon City in June 2006, and I just can't leave it alone. 😍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tripthicket said:

There doesn't seem to be any attention paid to how exemplaring might affect the slotting of a given power; this is the build at 50, and that's that.

This seems to be your actual question, I take it.

The answer would be: Exemplaring does not care for slotting order. Slots in place are slots in place and that's all it cares about.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tripthicket said:

There doesn't seem to be any attention paid to how exemplaring might affect the slotting of a given power; this is the build at 50, and that's that.

Verifying what Lex Talion said above.  When exemplaring, the level slots were placed is irrelevant.

• Like 2

I'm really not trying to be obtuse, but I'm still scratching my head trying to understand; maybe I'm splitting hairs, I dunno. I started to type out one last question for clarification, but after the fifth sentence of the first paragraph, I realized I just need to make a separate thread. Thanks for the answers you gave above.

On 4/15/2020 at 4:24 PM, Rathulfr said:

I like blastin': just straight up shooting things in the face from a distance, until they're dead arrested. 

This joke still makes me lol.

• Thanks 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 4/18/2020 at 5:55 AM, tripthicket said:

While avidly reading this thread and fully intending to steal use Rathulfr's build, I am reminded of a puzzlement, one that I see in many 'level 50' (as opposed to leveling) builds. I certainly don't mean to point out Rathulfr as being bad for doing this, nor do I mean to point this out as a bad thing at all. I think I know the 'why' behind it, but maybe I'm off-base.

Nutshell: in many of the 'level 50' builds I see, slots are assigned (almost as a rule) to the first power taken (T1 primary), until 6 slots are assigned or the intended number of slots for that power are reached. Then, the next power (T2 primary) starts getting slots or the first of the secondary powers (T1 secondary) begins accruing slots, until 6-or-intended. And so on. There doesn't seem to be any attention paid to how exemplaring might affect the slotting of a given power; this is the build at 50, and that's that.

Is that it, that it kinda doesn't matter for a 'level 50' build when the powers get their slots, as long as all the powers get the right number of slots that the build calls for? I will say that it's not that hard at all to 'remake' one of those 'level 50' builds such that the slots are assigned 'evenly' and it all comes out much the same in the end. Just a little bit of time, and I've done it a handful of times already.

Sorry for the hijack, and thank you, Rathulfr, for your build and the advice you give above. Energy Blast has been my favorite since I first entered Paragon City in June 2006, and I just can't leave it alone. 😍

I've just taken it as a given that all of these completed level 50 builds assume you're going to respec into them at levels 47-50, so you can place the slots as needed without regards to leveling.  When you're leveling up, the placement and order of slots is critical, because that's how you power up your build as you progress.  But once you hit 50, you'll find that you'll want/need to reallocate some of those slots to different powers.  That's why most folks respec at 50 for their "final" build.

When I level up, I usually stick to "The Rule of 3" for slot placement.  Up until level 30, you only get two slots per every other level, so I usually place both slots in either the power I just picked in the previous level, or (if that previous power doesn't need it), I'll put both slots in another power that doesn't yet have 3 slots.

For example, I usually take Fly by level 14 (at the latest), because it's my favorite travel power.  But Fly doesn't need any slots, so I usually put the 2 slots I get after Fly into Stamina, so I can put 3 EndMod enhancements there.  The same thing goes for the 2 slots after Boxing/Kick: I won't ever use that power while leveling, so there's no need to slot it yet.  So those 2 slots go into something else that might need it, like Health.

Also, when I'm leveling up, I will put 3 slots in Hasten and/or Assault, because of ED (Enhancement Diversification).  The maximum that you can enhance any one attribute with SOs or common IOs is ~99%, which is 3 SOs or 3 level 30 IOs.  When I'm leveling up, I want to maximize the recharge of Hasten, or maximize the endurance reduction in Assault, because I don't yet have any other set bonuses.

But when I get to 50 and respec, I can reallocate the slots in Hasten or Assault to other powers that need them more, for set bonuses.  So I can reduce them to 2 slots each, and use Boosters to max out the level 50 common IOs to +53% each, and cap ED with only 2 slots, instead of 3.

The order of placement doesn't matter for exemplaring: you keep the same number of slots in your powers regardless of level.  The slots don't "deactivate" at lower levels like the powers do.  So if you add 5 slots to your T1 at level 50, when you exemplar down to level 10, you'll still have 6 slots in your T1.

Mid's Reborn keeps track of slot placement levels as you create/modify the build.  Sometimes, I use the "Auto-Arrange All Slots" feature to shuffle them around a bit when I'm moving/tweaking things.  So when you see a completed build like mine and see the levels for slot placements, ignore them.  Those are just artifacts of using Mid's to assemble the build.  Mid's does not (necessarily or) accurately reflect when those slots were actually placed.  None of that matters during a respec, because the respec doesn't know/care when you put the slots.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

On 4/6/2020 at 10:33 PM, Fatalplus said:

That's where I'm at. I found the Murder Bunny build and that looks like the most well thought out NRG/NRG build I've seen but I'd like to see more theorycraft.

I posted my intended build for Energy/Energy in this thread. I have never leveled a Energy/ or /Energy of any kind to 50. Since both are iconic sets I wanted to do something special with it and fiddled around with the idea of rotating two “T9” defensive abilities in Unleash Potential(UP) and Force of Nature(FoN).

Clarion + Power Boost buffs UP to over 30% defense to all and FoN makes you capped to almost all damage except Psionic. UP lasts 60 seconds and FoN lasts 120 seconds. With enough Force Feedback +recharge procs you can reduce the cool down for those powers and cycle between them. You can activate UP->FoN->UP as each previous power ends for 4 minutes of God mode, making sure to use Power Boost and Clarion before using UP. Once that initial cycle ends you only have to wait around two minutes to rinse and repeat. As soon as I find the time I’m going to make this on live and tweak it.  I’m confident this build is good, just have to find out how good.

Edited by cazden121

Have you considered, instead of or in addition to Clarion, trying Melee hybrid defense+taunt with the occasional UP?
I have been playing with that quite a bit, and capped defenses plus melee-style clustering, and lots of KD from explosive blast and torrent, tends to keep you nice and comfortable even in target-rich environments.

• 2 weeks later
On 4/19/2020 at 2:18 PM, Rathulfr said:

I've just taken it as a given that all of these completed level 50 builds assume you're going to respec into them at levels 47-50, so you can place the slots as needed without regards to leveling.  When you're leveling up, the placement and order of slots is critical, because that's how you power up your build as you progress.  But once you hit 50, you'll find that you'll want/need to reallocate some of those slots to different powers.  That's why most folks respec at 50 for their "final" build.

When I level up, I usually stick to "The Rule of 3" for slot placement.  Up until level 30, you only get two slots per every other level, so I usually place both slots in either the power I just picked in the previous level, or (if that previous power doesn't need it), I'll put both slots in another power that doesn't yet have 3 slots.

For example, I usually take Fly by level 14 (at the latest), because it's my favorite travel power.  But Fly doesn't need any slots, so I usually put the 2 slots I get after Fly into Stamina, so I can put 3 EndMod enhancements there.  The same thing goes for the 2 slots after Boxing/Kick: I won't ever use that power while leveling, so there's no need to slot it yet.  So those 2 slots go into something else that might need it, like Health.

Also, when I'm leveling up, I will put 3 slots in Hasten and/or Assault, because of ED (Enhancement Diversification).  The maximum that you can enhance any one attribute with SOs or common IOs is ~99%, which is 3 SOs or 3 level 30 IOs.  When I'm leveling up, I want to maximize the recharge of Hasten, or maximize the endurance reduction in Assault, because I don't yet have any other set bonuses.

But when I get to 50 and respec, I can reallocate the slots in Hasten or Assault to other powers that need them more, for set bonuses.  So I can reduce them to 2 slots each, and use Boosters to max out the level 50 common IOs to +53% each, and cap ED with only 2 slots, instead of 3.

The order of placement doesn't matter for exemplaring: you keep the same number of slots in your powers regardless of level.  The slots don't "deactivate" at lower levels like the powers do.  So if you add 5 slots to your T1 at level 50, when you exemplar down to level 10, you'll still have 6 slots in your T1.

Mid's Reborn keeps track of slot placement levels as you create/modify the build.  Sometimes, I use the "Auto-Arrange All Slots" feature to shuffle them around a bit when I'm moving/tweaking things.  So when you see a completed build like mine and see the levels for slot placements, ignore them.  Those are just artifacts of using Mid's to assemble the build.  Mid's does not (necessarily or) accurately reflect when those slots were actually placed.  None of that matters during a respec, because the respec doesn't know/care when you put the slots.

I noticed in your NRG/NRG build you don't have hasten built in it?  Do you level with it and then respec out at 50?  Is there any way to keep hasten at 50 without gimping defense?

17 hours ago, Fatalplus said:

I noticed in your NRG/NRG build you don't have hasten built in it?  Do you level with it and then respec out at 50?  Is there any way to keep hasten at 50 without gimping defense?

That is correct: my classic Energy² Blaster build doesn't have Hasten.  I took it out so that I could have both the Concealment and Leadership pools.  Taking Hasten in the Speed pool would sacrifice one of those other pools.  I decided that I needed Stealth and the defense more than I needed Hasten.  Another option would've been to take Combat Jumping instead of Stealth. 

That's one of the things I love about this game: there's no "One True Way" for builds, no IcyVeins/Noxxic min/max meta build to rule them all.  Two players with the same AT, primary, and secondary may be built completely differently, play completely differently, and have completely different builds that are effective and fun.

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 2

@Rathstar

22 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

That is correct: my classic Energy² Blaster build doesn't have Hasten.  I took it out so that I could have both the Concealment and Leadership pools.  Taking Hasten in the Speed pool would sacrifice one of those other pools.  I decided that I needed Stealth and the defense more than I needed Hasten.  Another option would've been to take Combat Jumping instead of Stealth. 

That's one of the things I love about this game: there's no "One True Way" for builds, no IcyVeins/Noxxic min/max meta build to rule them all.  Two players with the same AT, primary, and secondary may be built completely differently, play completely differently, and have completely different builds that are effective and fun.

Yeah I totally agree.  I get down the rabbit hold and spend more time theory crafting than I do actually playing...

Now IF you were to put hasten in, where would you put it?  Drop stealth and deal with the loss of defense?  Can it be recovered anywhere else to stay at caps?

1 minute ago, Fatalplus said:

Yeah I totally agree.  I get down the rabbit hold and spend more time theory crafting than I do actually playing...

Now IF you were to put hasten in, where would you put it?  Drop stealth and deal with the loss of defense?  Can it be recovered anywhere else to stay at caps?

I couldn't figure out a way to keep Hasten without giving up defense and other things I wanted.  I found it easier to pick up +recharge in other places, instead.  I found that I don't really need more recharge for my regular rotation.  I think that I was able to shave off 1 second from my rotation, and that just wasn't worth the loss of defense.  But I'm sure that someone else probably has an E² build that includes Hasten and soft-capped defenses.

• Thanks 1

@Rathstar

5 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

I couldn't figure out a way to keep Hasten without giving up defense and other things I wanted.  I found it easier to pick up +recharge in other places, instead.  I found that I don't really need more recharge for my regular rotation.  I think that I was able to shave off 1 second from my rotation, and that just wasn't worth the loss of defense.  But I'm sure that someone else probably has an E² build that includes Hasten and soft-capped defenses.

The thread I linked has a Energy/Energy build that incorporates Hasten alongside a Power Boosted/Clarion buffed Unleash Potential and Force of Nature. With Hasten, good global recharge and multiple Force Feedback procs you can have several minutes of insane defense and resists, while also keeping an equal uptime to downtime ratio. It’s a bit different, instead of a static soft-cap defense or resist to 1 or 2 damage types permanently, you instead get frequent moments in time where you are beyond soft-capped defenses and at the resistance cap to almost all damage. 

Edited by Camel
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2020 at 8:22 PM, Frostweaver said:

Have you considered, instead of or in addition to Clarion, trying Melee hybrid defense+taunt with the occasional UP?
I have been playing with that quite a bit, and capped defenses plus melee-style clustering, and lots of KD from explosive blast and torrent, tends to keep you nice and comfortable even in target-rich environments.

Definitely, with the melee core added into the cycle you could further increase the duration of God mode. I opted for a more offensive approach as I thought my defenses were good enough.

• 1 month later

This is kinda what i want to go with. No beta decay because of the animation lol. Ill take any help building it. Power Bolt is just a place holder and is not used.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Level 49 Technology Blaster
Secondary Power Set: Atomic Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: zc_Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Electron Shackles -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Power Blast -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Hover -- Empty(A)
Level 6: Power Burst -- Empty(A)
Level 8: Fly -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Positron Cell -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Sniper Blast -- Empty(A)
Level 14: Afterburner -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Ionize -- Empty(A)
Level 18: Aim -- Empty(A)
Level 20: Hasten -- Empty(A)
Level 22: Metabolic Acceleration -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Explosive Blast -- Empty(A)
Level 28: Tough -- Empty(A)
Level 30: Weave -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Nova -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Radioactive Cloud -- Empty(A)
Level 38: Assault -- Empty(A)
Level 41: Tactics -- Empty(A)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- Empty(A)
Level 47: Scorpion Shield -- Empty(A)
Level 49: Victory Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- Empty(A)
------------

Edited by Galamane

Another idea that i think i like better. Just dont know how to build it.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Level 49 Technology Blaster
Secondary Power Set: Atomic Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: zc_Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Flame Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Electron Shackles -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Power Blast -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Hover -- Empty(A)
Level 6: Positron Cell -- Empty(A)
Level 8: Power Burst -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Fly -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Sniper Blast -- Empty(A)
Level 14: Afterburner -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Ionize -- Empty(A)
Level 18: Aim -- Empty(A)
Level 20: Metabolic Acceleration -- Empty(A)
Level 22: Hasten -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Explosive Blast -- Empty(A)
Level 28: Tough -- Empty(A)
Level 30: Weave -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Nova -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Radioactive Cloud -- Empty(A)
Level 38: Bonfire -- Empty(A)
Level 41: Melt Armor -- Empty(A)
Level 44: Assault -- Empty(A)
Level 47: Tactics -- Empty(A)
Level 49: Maneuvers -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- Empty(A)
------------

• 1 month later

I have a Fire/NRG blaster which is probably my favourite character. I personally completely agree that hasten isn’t required. I put Energize on auto for the Regen buff and endurance reduction, and have 100% global recharge in bonuses which is enough. 

I would, though, strongly disagree that you need S/L/E defence as well as ranged. For me it’s either/or. I hover blast so ranged is absolutely fine for me. If I blapped, I might go Scorpion/Ice shield instead, but not as well as. 

Few reasons for that:

• If you’re teaming, it’s better to just manage aggro. Attack taunted or controlled targets for AoE, for example. If you’re soloing, you get to dictate the difficulty anyway, so it’s a controlled environment. 
• As a blaster you have more than enough damage to deal with isolated aggro. Even if you p**s off a boss or two, it’s unlikely they’ll get many attacks off before you can put them down. 
• You’ve got other damage mitigation tools at your disposal. I use bonfire from Flame mastery and not much attacks you when they’re falling down. Obviously if you go NRG blast you have knockback in your attacks too, and NRG melee has stuns to help even more. 

Don’t get me wrong, extra defence is nice if it doesn’t come at too great a cost. But when it comes at the expense of the a whole epic pool, or concept, or a great power like bonfire, or resistance, or enough recharge, or especially all of them... we’ll to me that’s not worth it. 

Ultimately:

• AoE Crowd Control and extra AoE damage (bonfire)
• Over 50% S/L/F resist

• Capped ranged defence 

• 40% E/N defence

Or

• Capped S/L/E/R defence

• 40% N defence

Felt like an easy decision after trying both out. The defence route was just overkill and asked too great a sacrifice. 

What I will say though is that NRG is, for me, the best Blaster secondary by some distance. It’s the most complete bag of tricks and most versatile in terms of concept.