What are your "ignore" habits and why?

Tahliah

Active Knockback power user without proper KB to KD slotting:  ignored, noted, never purged, kicked after not stopping after asking nicely to stop

Hurricane/repel/whatever on all the time: ignored, noted, never purged and kicked on sight

People who say, "Can you not?"/other volunteer internet police types: ignored, possible purged

Thats pretty much it, I clear my ignore list on the first week of each month.  Only once someone tried to play "telephone" with me to get into my TF.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2020 at 7:37 PM, MunkiLord said:

If someone annoys me and I want them to go away, or irks me enough that I'm going to a huge asshole, I'll put them on ignore. But I clear it out shortly after. I don't actually remember the last time I put someone on ignore. And the last time I cleared it I didn't even remember why I put the two people on ignore. 

This made me laugh!  I am exactly the same way!  I can never remember why someone was ignored, so I just unignore them.  I'm sure if there was a real reason, I'd remember . . . but I never do, so I assume there was no real reason.  :P  Usually, I do it just to clear up chat where they are being stupid, offensive, trollish, but once that has passed, who cares?  Stupid people can still run awesome toons. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 8:52 PM, TheOtherTed said:

There are only two people I've permanently ignored since I joined HC.  They both said "Ok boomer."

Bwahaha!  This made me laugh.  Out loud. 

As an aside (and as a boomer), I'd say unignore them.  They'll outgrow it. We did.  :P

On 4/9/2020 at 10:03 PM, The Bobby Llama said:

run TFs a lot on Everlasting, most of the time leading them myself.  Leaving a TF for a stupid reason is a sure way to get blacklisted via /ignore.  Some highlights

LOL, those are some crazy players, but ignore is a bit tough on stupid.  That said, there was this one guy back on live who joined a Shard tf and afk'd to make sandwiches. I  kid you not.  I ignored him then and would STILL have him on ignore now, like ten years later.  That level of self-involved stupid just can't be explained away.

• Haha 1

I typically make a note and actually use the star system - I've one starred a couple people - pretty much first week when they were in in Atlas talking about owning all the Libt*rds on the server.  Didn't ignore so I could report behavior if it continued.  Typically I'll makes notes like "great to team" "bad TF experience" but I've been soloing for badges lately so I don't interact as much right now 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 10:13 AM, Myrmidon said:

Yes, that is quite the annoyance. While I don’t ignore anyone for that, I do two-star them with a note so that I can pick them out later in PUGs. There are even some that have moved from two to five after more teaming.

This I love love love!  As I said in my OP, I do rarely (super rarely) add notes about players who tick me off (and more recently also about the ones I love being on a team with but haven't' interacted enough with to global friend--that's a whole other topic! I got to where I had no clue who 70% of my global friends were and just stopped adding them indiscriminately. Anyway,) I have also changed my notes and ticked players way up when I get to know them better and have run with them (and learned that their dog had died that day, and they were super sad and had one tee many martoonis and lashed out . . . or whatever).  Having an open mind is so key not only to finding good people to run with but to be being a good person to run with.  Bravo!

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 9:24 AM, Jacke said:

After it's down, I get a tell from another character thanking me.  I reply you're welcome back.  Then I get a reply and realisation hits: the first tell was very sarcastic.  I'd missed the person's request to join the league and they lost out.  I reply back with an apology, but they've obviously put me on ignore.

Oh, I'm so sorry that happened to you Jacke!  This is one of the reasons I avoid running PuGs, people reply not just to LFG and via private tells but in local broadcast and who knows what list chat.  It's hard to keep up, but I tend to write PST to let people know to send me a tell so I can keep up with the requests.  If they still broadcast, local, LFG, and I happen to see it, I'm happy to add them, but if I miss it, I don't feel too badly since I was specific about how to let me know.  Ignoring someone for missing a tell/global/local whatever request is a bit nuts . . . more nuts? Being a snarky butthurt whiner and sending a sarc tell to "thank" you.  This person ignoring you is probably a gift.  Be grateful.  :P

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2020 at 2:29 PM, kelika2 said:

Active Knockback power user without proper KB to KD slotting:  ignored, noted, never purged, kicked after not stopping after asking nicely to stop

Hurricane/repel/whatever on all the time: ignored, noted, never purged and kicked on sight

People who say, "Can you not?"/other volunteer internet police types: ignored, possible purged

Thats pretty much it, I clear my ignore list on the first week of each month.  Only once someone tried to play "telephone" with me to get into my TF.

Oooh, the someone doesn't slot "properly" (as I want them to) ban.  That's a good one.  Knockback is actually very useful when solo and on many teams, so this "the only way to slot any KB is with KD" fake self-inflated player invented "rule" is just the type of elitist "do as I sayism" that makes me crazy.  If you can't manage to adapt to an AT effectively using KB, that is on you as a weak, uninspired, rigid player.  I would welcome your "ignore" . . . unless you're trying to get a team together for a Nem/Rikti/Zombie raid, then who cares how simplistic a player you are?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/9/2020 at 8:03 PM, The Bobby Llama said:

I run TFs a lot on Everlasting, most of the time leading them myself.  Leaving a TF for a stupid reason is a sure way to get blacklisted via /ignore.  Some highlights:

1. Second mission of an ITF, this lvl 50 Scrapper keeps running ahead of the team to fight crystals, dying half the time.  Team lead asks him what he's doing, and he says he's speedrunning.  When it's pointed out that the TF was never advertised as a speed run, he complains that he has to go to work in 4 hours and doesn't have time for the TF, so he quits.
  2. This guy only wants to run +4 ITF.  If it turns out the team's not up to the task and the difficulty has to be turned down, he quits.
  3. Starting out a Tinpex with the Apex TF.  We get out of the sewers in the first mission and our Corruptor goes "Wait, is this a speed run?"  "I guess?  This is how groups do it."  "I wasn't looking for a speed run.  Thanks guys."  And he quits.  I'll give him credit for being polite at least, but there's barely a difference between a "speed" Apex and what I presume a "non-speed" Apex is (I've only ever seen them done the "speed" way).

i think I was with you with the corruptor one he was mad because we just kept killing the pylons  and ignoring the xp smh….

1 hour ago, Tahliah said:

Knockback is actually very useful when solo and on many teams, so-

i stopped reading right there.  no one ever does this, every contrarian uses that line and i just dont wanna hear it anymore.  knockback is annoying and i wont spend an entire task force with a griefer

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kelika2 said:

i stopped reading right there.  no one ever does this, every contrarian uses that line and i just dont wanna hear it anymore.  knockback is annoying and i wont spend an entire task force with a griefer

As someone who does a lot of AOE melee, I get really annoyed at some knockback.  I was on a couple TFs, one, someone kept using gale and hurricane to break apart groups just as I was getting them together.  Highly annoying.

The other TF, someone was using gale and hurricane to put them in corners to make it easy for AOEs.  Nicely done.

Edited by lemming
hit post too soon
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lemming said:

As someone who does a lot of AOE melee, I get really annoyed at some knockback.  I was on a couple TFs, one, someone kept using gale and hurricane to break apart groups just as I was getting them together.  Highly annoying.

The other TF, someone was using gale and hurricane to put them in corners to make it easy for AOEs.  Nicely done.

Without resurrecting this age old debate, and staying on topic...Would you put someone on your in-game ignore list in your first example?

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

People who post ignorant stuff. One person would not let up on how Khelds sucked even with a PB on the team. I have seen another in General. Maybe more due to a pet peeve, but people who don't know how to run farms, ie they keep dying or they run maps with low level characters and using maps where mobs wonder. If you want to run farms and add people in, know your stuff. I know, my characters are getting PLed, but as an example today I had a character go from like 6 to 21. Me running on a lower diff setting dual boxing took a character from 1 to 27.8 using the same maps and that's before a level shift to +1. If I can get more XP for my guy running +2 versus you doing it +4, then I might as well just dual box.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I'm still as active now as I used to be but I started a second account on a lark and found that I ended up migrating there, so I'm still running a million TFs for a million alts .

I have to say that CoH is such a nice place that I think I have only three persons on ignore (two of which I don't even recall why), and one of them I did today. The person isn't even a bad person, and I don't hate them, and I have no ill wish towards them, but every once in a while there I am organizing my Nth TF for my Nth alt and I will get this from them:

'What difficulty?'

'Doing it at +1'

'Oh, okay, I'd join if it was harder.'

'Yeah, but few want to fo the early TFs with under slotted characters and whittle away at mobs'

'I understand, but I don't like to play in easy mode. Call me if you decide to go higher up'.

So as you can see the guy is not being offensive. ...but it tires me to have this conversation over and over.. and over... and over... and over...

Today it happened again and I decided not to answer him knowing that we had this talk so many times before. Instead of taking the hint he starts sending 'lol', then 'lmao', as I keep advertising. I ask what's up and he complained he sent me a message and I didn't answer. I was about to say we had that talk before, but instead did the same 'Running it at +1' which ended up with us having the almost verbatim conversation of usual, but now punctuated with some passive-agressive sprinkles of 'some people have become bored of only playing in easy mode'.

So I decided to put the guy on ignore.

But other than that, CoH is so nice. I have yet to meet all those people spouting racist crap (but then I only have LFG and Everlasting's TF channel open), and while I really dislike knockback and mass immobilize uses, and I will complain about it and ask to go easy on mass immobilizes or mention Sudden Acceleration for the knockbackers, I don't kick them or make a point in not inviting them again, or put them on ignore.

There are not even trolls. You'd think Pocket D would be a haunt of PvE players spouting crap or spamming powers, but it's 99.99% only RPers in there.

In other games, like WoW I needed a special addon to increase my ignore list. It's racist talk on the chat or people just saying dumb stuff to get a rise from others, it's the occasional gold seller that gets past the filters, it's the large quantity of trolls that come to bother RPers because they have no life. It's the PvErs, who are not purposefully being bad persons and I have no ill wishing towards them, but who will be in the RP spots talking about RL and the game, and I don't want them intruding in my LARP with it.

On 4/10/2020 at 9:39 AM, TraumaTrain said:

I usually only click someone on ignore if they're spamming BS over and over.

I put a dude on ignore on a mothership raid once because he kept spamming his RP shtick over and over. It was probably his F10 battle cry. After the raid, I unignored him. A day or two ago (all days run together now) he joined a team i was on. He threw out his shtick when he joined the team and then again when he had to leave.

Notes and stars, on the other hand, I'll use a bit. PvP a-holes (not PvPers in general, just the real a-holes) get one star. Jackasses get two stars. People who want to run off solo while on teams get three stars. Eda gets five stars - so I can spot her more easily at MSRs, and because she's a real trooper to run that twice nightly. (Thanks, Eda!)

What's this about stars? It makes a visible icon?

• Like 2

I only ignore/block if someone goes out of there way to be rude or cruel to me or a friend of mine, especially without good reason.

If I dont recall anything about why someone is on ignore, I am open to un ignoring later, assuming they do the same or are not ignoring me. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance, and not remembering the offense means I can give it unbiased.

On 4/14/2020 at 12:34 PM, kelika2 said:

No one in their right mind is going to slot KB to KD in EVERY NRG BLAST.

Be happy people put one in each Knockback aoe.

OH HOW HORRIBLE! ONE ENEMY ISN'T FUSED WITH THE 65 OTHERS IN THE KILL STACK! OH NOOOO!

Edited by ZeeHero
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Pretty much I will only ignore someone for  racist, sexist, or generally abrasive behavior.   All the same things that would make me not want to associate with a person in real life still apply here. 

In regards to play styles, if someone plays in a fashion that I don't like I'll usually give it a mission or two and excuse myself from the group.  I don't hold it against someone if they want to use knockback or herd or speed TFs.  Sometimes those are the best solutions for a situation; sometimes I even learn from someone that has mastered something I haven't.

• Like 2

Whoever the "Any and all knockback is griefing" person is was. Sweet lord I cannot imagine someone that sensitive to minor plan changing blowing up over say- One martial arts power out of my entire list accidentaly KBng a short distance.

Edited by Vulgaris
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, ZeeHero said:

No one in their right mind is going to slow KB to KD in EVERY NRG BLAST.

OH HOW HORRIBLE! ONE ENEMY ISN'T FUSED WITH THE 65 OTHERS IN THE KILL STACK! OH NOOOO!

To you it is not a lot because you are the one doing it

For the rest of us, pebble in the shoe scenario.

And I tend to remove the pebble.

10 hours ago, ZeeHero said:

No one in their right mind is going to slow KB to KD in EVERY NRG BLAST.

This. I had a PuG over the weekend where the leader was a Robots / FF MM. So lots of knockback at the best of times. But....

This wasn't the best of times. They had Repel Field on ALL THE TIME so pushed everything far and wide. I made a few veiled comments about how things were "glitching backwards" on me (a Savage / Shield stalker) but no response. I don't mind Bots sporadically knocking things back, that's fine, I'll chase them like the dog I am, but the widening out of every spawn into a lovely circumference of baddies (nemmies too so quite happy to stay at range and lob grenades at you) was too much for me. Ended up Scrapperlocking, jumping a mob ahead to deal with them before Mr Pushback caught up.  

I didn't ignore them mind, just waited for the mission to end and moved on, with a note warning me in the future that they use Repel Field. 

I did stick a persistent "Looking for AE Farm" person on Ignore a few weeks ago but only because a Blaster spending an hour spamming "looking for AE farm" in LFG while I'd been happily leading a PuG and made the bones of a level and had fun was breaking my brain with illogic. And it was day 5 or 6 of this (turns out he's infamous on the server I play on for it)

Edited by Carnifax
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kelika2 said:

To you it is not a lot because you are the one doing it

For the rest of us, pebble in the shoe scenario.

And I tend to remove the pebble.

Grow up, one enemy being occasionally knocked back doesn't even register as an annoyance. and FYI, I don't play KB very often. when I do, all my aoes KD instead becuase I have common sense.

And since I do, I know that its pointless to bother putting it in a single target attack 99% of the time.

• Like 1