5099y_74c05

Missing Sets Suggestions

13 hours ago, 5099y_74c05 said:

Initial framing for Psionic Emission/Psychic Affinity (as a Controller Secondary) as a more offensive contrast to Emp/Pain.:

I based my suggestion on The Awakened from Praetoria, with the relevant powers listed after:
ParagonWiki The Awakened

Spoiler

The minions aren't relevant as they generally have only attacks, but the powers from Lieutenants and Bosses can be interesting:

Psychic Battery Overcharge
Using your mind, you increase the strength of all your nearby Awakened allies and their possessed Seers.

Nullify Pain PBAoE, Team +Heal
Nullify Pain will heal nearby allies for some hit points by numbing the pain caused by their wounds. Nullify Pain is not as potent as Soothe, but can heal multiple targets at once. Recharge: Moderate

Psionic Fury Ranged (Targeted AoE), Psionic Storm
You create a powerful psionic storm at your target's location. This hits any targets caught within its area of effect on an ongoing basis, but can be avoided if the area is evacuated.

Metabolic Superiority Self (Auto), +Regen, +Rech, +ToHit, +RES(Regen, Rech, Speed)
Your mind exerts an extremely powerful hold over your body, naturally increasing your regeneration rate, attack speed and chance to hit. Moreover, your force of will makes attacks that would reduce these attributes or your movement speeds less effective. (probably self-only wouldn't be the way to go with this, either a PBAoE team aura or a strong single-target buff like Adrenaline Boost)

Mental Breakdown Ranged (Targeted AoE), High DMG (Psionic), Minor DoT (Psionic), -Regen(Foe), -Rec(Foe), +RES(Foe, Heal), Heal(Self)
You create a powerful illusion in the minds of your targets, causing them to become rapidly hyperstressed. This causes a cascading reaction in the mind that causes psionic damage. The effects of this reaction linger, causing additional psionic damage over time. Additionally, affected targets suffer reduced regeneration, recovery and healing effectiveness. Finally, the endorphins released within your own body as the success of your attack heal you.

Psionic Prison Ranged, Minor DMG (Psionic), Moderate DoT (Psionic), -End (Foe), Hold (Foe)
You imprison your target in a field of collapsing psionic energy. They are held in place and suffer continuous psionic damage and endurance loss.

Nullify Pain PBAoE, Team +Heal
Nullify Pain will heal nearby allies for some hit points by numbing the pain caused by their wounds. Nullify Pain is not as potent as Soothe, but can heal multiple targets at once. Recharge: Moderate

Frazzle Melee (Cone), Moderate Dam(Lethal), Foe -DEF
The crackling energy coursing around you continuously shocks foes, dealing damage and instilling in them a sense of doom and disarray. (this should probably be a toggle, both for character use and for the description, not a Cone).

Psionic Fury Targeted AoE, Extreme DMG (Psionic), -End (Foe), -Rec (Foe), -Regen (Foe), -Rech (Foe)
You create a powerful lightning storm at your target's location. This hits any targets caught within its area of effect on an ongoing basis, but can be avoided if the area is evacuated.

Shards of the Self Summon Shards
You have created shards of yourself to aid you in battle.

• Fragment of Immanence
  • Psionic Blast Ranged, Moderate DMG (Psionic), -Rech (Foe)
    You fire a psionic burst at the target, causing psionic damage and reducing attack speed. (for a character, I would lower the damage to Light and give the Fragments a second debuffing or mezzing power, so that they're not too high on damage but still have utility).
  • Overload Special
    You continuously remain hovering in a delicate psychic balance due to the traumas inflicted by Mother Mayhem and Malaise. When you are nearly defeated in combat, all control over this balance is lost, causing a powerful eruption of psionic energy that deals significant damage to your foes.
  • Consume Special
    The Subjugator targets one of its Subjugated Seers and consumes her psychically. This kills the pet, but heals the Subjugator by a significant amount. The attack can be interrupted. (this is from a different Boss, who summons Seers rather than these Fragments, but it would more sense for a character to put them here).
  • Thanks 1

@Coyote Thanks for the suggestion. Lots to think about. I really like the concept of Shards of Self -> Consume your pets to heal. Having a mechanic where temp pets are sacrificed for various benefits sounds like a very unique mechanic to build a set around.

-Main Controllers-

Dark/Time/Primal   Earth/Thermal/Ice   Electric/Poison/Mu   Fire/Dark/Fire   Gravity/Kin/Mace   Ice/Rad/Ice   Illusion/Traps/Mace   Mind/TA/Psionic   Plant/Storm/Ice

Back on the Live boards there was a Probability Control  set (it's not a control set, it's a buff/debuff set).  Something that could be used to play Spiderman's friend Black Cat or the original concept behind the Scarlet Witch.  It was very well thought out.  I've searched for it several times and been unable to find it in any of the Internet archive sites.  But I'd love to see something like it make it into the game.

10 hours ago, Col. Kernel said:

Back on the Live boards there was a Probability Control  set (it's not a control set, it's a buff/debuff set).  Something that could be used to play Spiderman's friend Black Cat or the original concept behind the Scarlet Witch.  It was very well thought out.  I've searched for it several times and been unable to find it in any of the Internet archive sites.  But I'd love to see something like it make it into the game.

I do believe you might be referring to @Trickshooter's Probability Distortion powerset. Their signature has an archived link - it's definitely a very neat concept for sure!

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 8:17 AM, Without_Pause said:

I never made an official list for it, but the power ideas are basically there already for a Sonic control set. It also wouldn't take much to give doms a Sonic assault set.

T1. ST Immob.

T2. ST Hold

T3. AoE Immob.

T4. AoE Sleep, ie Siren's Song

T5. AoE Disorient, ie Screech

T6. PBAeE Toggle: team +res/mob -res

T7. AoE Hold 

T8. AoE KB, ie Shockwave

T9. Banshee

The biggest issue I see is how much stacking -res would be going on. It actually might be a low damage set until the enough stacking happens. Super off the top of my head,

• Like 1

Without Pause Claws/wp brute, Nothing But Flowers Plant/storm, Waterpark Water/temp blaster, Sneakers StJ/en stalker,

Current obsession(s): Earth/earth dom, Kat/elec brute.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

I do believe you might be referring to @Trickshooter's Probability Distortion powerset. Their signature has an archived link - it's definitely a very neat concept for sure!

Link, please?  That name sounds right, and it was an awesome and well thought out set.  I'm certain it would need dev tweaking to be balanced with everything else.

I'd still love to see the list from the set in its original glory.

Edit:  Found it.  This board has a really nice search engine.

Edited by Col. Kernel
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Col. Kernel said:

Link, please?  That name sounds right, and it was an awesome and well thought out set.  I'm certain it would need dev tweaking to be balanced with everything else.

I'd still love to see the list from the set in its original glory.

No problem! You can just select Trickshooter's handle and look at a post of theirs, but here's their signature:

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to die.

Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?

Edited by Blackfeather

On 4/19/2020 at 6:18 PM, Without_Pause said:

T1. ST Immob.

T2. ST Hold

T3. AoE Immob.

T4. AoE Sleep, ie Siren's Song

T5. AoE Disorient, ie Screech

T6. PBAeE Toggle: team +res/mob -res

T7. AoE Hold 

T8. AoE KB, ie Shockwave

T9. Banshee

The biggest issue I see is how much stacking -res would be going on. It actually might be a low damage set until the enough stacking happens. Super off the top of my head,

I feel like a confuse would work well in a Sonic set, a sort of hearing voices theme.  I could also see having a knockdown aura with the character at the epicenter of strong vibrations.  There's a lot you could do thematically.  It wouldn't hurt to break the control mold a bit.  

• Like 1

We need an "Elemental Control" set which takes the existing art assets from Earth / Ice / Fire / etc and puts them in one set. You can control which element you use via the same game mechanic as Swap Ammo.  The buff/debuff effects of each power would be weaker than the equivalent power from the specific set it came from (and other changes, like damage and duration), so you are trading raw power for versatility.  This set should still have its own unique top-tier power (something that combines all elemental forces in one power). 

• Like 1

Summoning.
I seem to remember there was once a lot of talk about creating a summoner's set to address the sorcerer role, or was that an entire archetype?

As far as other areas of control...

Biology - assemble, disassemble, manipulate genetics.

Chemical - a scientific/remedy/potion where the user creates vials with different effects. Inherent combo system would allow power combinations in the set to create different or enhanced effects.

Fear - an entire set devoted manipulating targets into performing directly out of fear. The "run away effect" becomes a omnster when slotted with a KD processor.

Light - A heavenly/ethereal set to create a Dazzler, Angel, Fairy of your choice.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Zanthyna said:

We need an "Elemental Control" set which takes the existing art assets from Earth / Ice / Fire / etc and puts them in one set. You can control which element you use via the same game mechanic as Swap Ammo. 

This reminds me of the GW2 Elementalist (they probably borrowed the idea from CoX) where you can attune to different elements; it looks like it plays like a four in one character.

5 hours ago, xl8 said:

Summoning.
I seem to remember there was once a lot of talk about creating a summoner's set to address the sorcerer role, or was that an entire archetype?

Biology - assemble, disassemble, manipulate genetics.

Chemical - a scientific/remedy/potion where the user creates vials with different effects. Inherent combo system would allow power combinations in the set to create different or enhanced effects.

Its interesting these suggestions popped up too.

After Coyote listed out a bunch of psi powers of one of the factions: I cued in on one where the boss/lt can consume its minions psionic essence. I started drafting up a "Evolution/ Genetic Manipulation" biology oriented secondary based on clone creation and consumption. Instead of team focused it would be very single target focused; Strong ST Debuffs and Buffs as well as a strong Single Team mate DEF. Its intended to play off of the appeal of Illusion/ and allow sets that wouldn't have access to Control sets. Its also partially inspired by /Poison's splash mechanics; here the clones are the conduit for delivering the effects.

As I worked through it I realized it would have a similar feel to a GW2 Mezmer or  Psylocke from the Marvel ARPG. The main premise is you create clones and consume clones to create various effects. Half the powers where generator and the other half where consumers. It would constantly play between generation and consumption; which is essential a combo system using clones instead of points. Debuffs would be delivered via clones you create up to X stacks. The set would allow you to clone team mates granting them temp invis or the clone would taunt and/or generate high threat. Unlike Illusion/ the clones can die from enemy attacks or you could sacrifice them to create various effects.  I think it included a self teleport power with an AoE placate and clone left at your source location. One of the powers would also allow you to put clones into Bodyguard mode on a player reducing incoming damage similar to an MM. I was trying to think of ways to leverage underused mechanics in a different manner, as an attempt to create a very unique feeling set.

Regarding the Chemistry suggestion, this is how I wanted the Poison (Alchemy) set to play. Instead of combos I was thinking along the lines of stances based around Healing and Harming. The more I worked thorough, it was evident slotting would be difficult without special rules to allow sets to augment the opposite effects e.g.  heal sets to augment damage and vice versa.

-Main Controllers-

Dark/Time/Primal   Earth/Thermal/Ice   Electric/Poison/Mu   Fire/Dark/Fire   Gravity/Kin/Mace   Ice/Rad/Ice   Illusion/Traps/Mace   Mind/TA/Psionic   Plant/Storm/Ice