Blaster Farming

PsycheAdrenaline

@Frostweaver I'm not sure why you are ignoring @Banana Manand dismissing what he has to say. He's not the only one who has made ice/fires that can exceed the clear times of brutes. 

Farming is getting as much inf/min.

To maximise this you need to maximise killing speed for which @Banana Manhas pretty much said is all about mob saturation and hitting as many mobs in the shortest space of time and doing the most damage. So it's redundant to consider large maps.

You can have multiple builds so again seems silly to build for balance when you could build for effeciency.

You can build an ice/fire to have soft capped defense to fire, capped fire resistance which is sufficient against 4/8. An Ice/fire can hit more than the target cap and thus kill things quicker per cast of power. E.g blizzard will always hit 16 targets for the full duration of the power, where as say atom smasher will only hit the target cap once. At damage cap and mob saturation this results in higher clear times than a rad/fire brute.

I don't get what you are trying to achieve, there's a decent ice/fire build on the forums somewhere and you could try it on the beta if you care so much. Saying bananaman doesn't know what he's talking about without disproving anything doesn't make much sense to me? 

You are totally correct about there safer options..so if you afk or don't want to pay attention then sure go for a brute.

@Vea/@Vae/@Vew - You can call me V.

If you can do it, you have every right to Brag. I made a stalker called watch man on Indom specifically to see.

@Vea- Is Skepticism a crime, or dishonorable, to you? I just want to see, because he is making a claim I have never seen accomplished before, and in all my time and dozens of tries and billions of influence, I have never succeeded at myself, or even come close to.

And I have stated flatly that I will admit I was wrong to doubt him if he does it. I want him to succeed. Very much, I want to know how it was done. If he is pulling my leg or 'guesstimating' badly, Then that needs to be known too in order to not give the people reading this thread false information.

My best time without teammate buffs or cheeseball expendables like the striga ring, but using full incarnate support, was 3 minutes 49 seconds... and that was not something I could do mission after mission unless I wait for incarnates to recharge, which makes it fail in comparison to brute clears which can be done again and again, 5 times in 20 minutes. If he can do it in average 3 minutes with occasional 2 minutes 30, more power to him... The build is valuable and I want to see how. If he's using inexpensive P2W buffs or something, I would like to know that too... that may be an option.

And yes, I am considering writing a blaster Farming guide, because blasters profit from being vet level 50 as much as anyone else does.

Edited by Frostweaver

@Frostweaverskeptism is fine and I'd welcome it especially here on the forums where some people spend more time than in game.

I just don't quite understand the skeptism considering bananaman has actually explained how to farm on a blaster in his first reply.

Because that explanation does not include a methodology for getting 2:30-3:00 clear times on an asteroid patrol map at +4/8 difficulty. I have farmed with many fire blasters, and unless you pop barrier every time, trying to keep up that level of DPS via builds leads to a defensively weak build that will faceplant again and again.

and that is considerably less than the barrier cooldown.

I assume that with something like the striga ring it may be (temporarily) possible, and by using buffs from super packs and P2W for both damage output and defense/resistance, but those would make serious inroads into your inf earnings as wll as neccessitating LARGE downtimes in between maps to run back to the P2W vendor. But having that as an expectation for standard 4/8 farming sounds too good to be true, and in my experience when something sounds too good to be true, it is. But 4/8 bosses have some serious HP to overcome, and when you are getting hit by an average of 2-3 spawns full of bosses at a time, blasters have a 16 person cap on their nukes and fireballs, and there are what... 280 mobs per map?

Assuming best recharge, you can get your nuke off 4 times in 3 minutes. or 3 times in 2:30.  that's 40-64 dead mobs. Plus a judgement for approximately 30 dead mobs, if you are very lucky. That means fireballs and secondary damage for the rest, assuming that he doesn't waste time trying to get useful dps out of fire breath.

If he can do it, great. I simply want to see how.

Edited by Frostweaver

Here is an example of an ice/fire farming build (which can be improved given that this was built in August). It's softcapped fire defense and capped fire resistance, this blocks most damage - barrier doesn't add anything to this because you are still going to get hit ~5% of the time taking 75% of the damage. You do get damage mitigation by bonfire KB->KD.

Are you ignoring what bananaman has posted? He doesn't refer to p2w, he tells you what incarnates to use and even tells you how to run a map.

You -could- use temp buffs from SG bases to save slotting for resistance which would be some cheap salvage.. but I doubt bananaman relies on that.

I will not argue that /fire, as a SECONDARY, is a powerful farming tool. It has dps and mitigation. But the timing thing... let's just say that I won't say that he was pulling my leg, but apparently the methodology _I_ use to time a farm is very very different from his. I don't consider the farm cleared until it is cleared, 100%, which is definitely more time consuming than I suppose other methodologies invoke.

3:40 is not a time to be ashamed of. I look forwards to seeing if other builds can beat 3:00 using your timing method.

I think we got confused at some point between the fire primary and secondary.

Edited by Frostweaver

On 4/15/2020 at 9:30 AM, PsycheAdrenaline said:

any suggestions on keeping enemies from running have a big problem with this on my Fire blaster 

Hot feet frankenslotted for SLOW helps a lot. They still run, but not fast.

Bonfire with KB-->KD is great, but only up every other group or so.

Knock down proc in fireball helps too, but not as much as the other suggestions

As you said, avoid rain. 

On 4/21/2020 at 12:24 PM, Rathulfr said:

Why are you farming with a blaster in the first place?  That seems to me to be far less efficient than a brutes/tankers

Ridiculous! When people join my farms they often can't believe how much more efficient my blaster is than what they are used to.

And I farm +4/8s. I'm not even soft capped on my blaster, I've focused on damage, not defense. It does make it more of a challenge and takes skill to do things well, but that's a big plus in my book as farming can be extremely boring.

20 hours ago, Frostweaver said:

I see... Our definitions of farming are very, very different.

4 hours ago, Troyusrex said:

I've focused on damage, not defense. It does make it more of a challenge and takes skill to do things well, but that's a big plus in my book as farming can be extremely boring.

Ok, now I see: we do have different definitions of "farming".  I see farming as something I can do at a leisurely pace, without much active interaction.  I can set Burn on autocast and let the mobs come to me and melt while I'm doing something else (usually work).  Every minute or so I'll switch over to fire off my Incarnate AoE (90 sec recharge) or gobble a bunch of reds, but I'm not really engaged in every moment of combat.  It's definitely "extremely boring", but that's what I like about it.  And that's why I use defense/resistance capped Brutes/Tankers: they won't die if I go AFK to answer an email or fetch a beverage.

Blaster farming would definitely require a lot more interaction, and I couldn't go AFK at all.  That approach is definitely all about speeding through to get the most kills in the fastest times.  Now I understand why some folks like to Blaster farm: that makes sense to me, now.  I probably still won't do it, as I would prefer to spend that attention and effort on actual content, instead of dull AE farm maps.  But now I understand how it might appeal to some people.

Thanks for giving me the grace to "catch up", LOL.  😄

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 2

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Farming-capable water/ice build:
Please note that there is something...weird, going on with Mid's damage calculations, especially for water burst. It is showing as significantly...lower, than it's actual damage,

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Frostweaver: Level 50 Science Blaster
Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Ice Manipulation
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Hydro Blast -- Apc-Dam%(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(3), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Apc-Acc/Rchg(5), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Chilblain -- GrvAnc-Immob/Rchg(A), GrvAnc-Immob/EndRdx(7), GrvAnc-Hold%(9), GrvAnc-Acc/Immob/Rchg(9), GrvAnc-Acc/Rchg(11)
Level 2: Water Burst -- PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(13), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(13), PstBls-Dam%(15), FrcFdb-Rechg%(15)
Level 4: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 6: Whirlpool -- Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(19), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(19), Rgn-Knock%(21)
Level 8: Tidal Forces -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(21), GssSynFr--ToHit(23), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(23), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(25), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(25)
Level 10: Frigid Protection -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Heal(27), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(27), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(29), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(29), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(31)
Level 12: Dehydrate -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(31), ThfofEss-+End%(31), Apc-Dmg(33)
Level 14: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%(33), UnbGrd-ResDam(33), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(34), GldArm-3defTpProc(34)
Level 16: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Water Jet -- SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(A), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(37)
Level 20: Ice Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(37), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(39), LucoftheG-Def(39)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(39)
Level 26: Steam Spray -- PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(40), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(40), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(42)
Level 28: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42)
Level 30: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(42)
Level 32: Geyser -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(43), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(43), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(45), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45)
Level 35: Charged Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(46), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(46)
Level 38: Ice Sword -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(46), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(48)
Level 41: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 44: Freezing Touch -- BslGaz-Slow%(A), BslGaz-Acc/Hold(50), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(50), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(50)
Level 47: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Acrobatics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(17)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Pyronic Radial Final Judgement
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 50: Support Core Embodiment
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany
------------

• 2 weeks later
On 4/23/2020 at 1:17 PM, Frostweaver said:

Because that explanation does not include a methodology for getting 2:30-3:00 clear times on an asteroid patrol map at +4/8 difficulty. I have farmed with many fire blasters, and unless you pop barrier every time, trying to keep up that level of DPS via builds leads to a defensively weak build that will faceplant again and again.

and that is considerably less than the barrier cooldown.

I assume that with something like the striga ring it may be (temporarily) possible, and by using buffs from super packs and P2W for both damage output and defense/resistance, but those would make serious inroads into your inf earnings as wll as neccessitating LARGE downtimes in between maps to run back to the P2W vendor. But having that as an expectation for standard 4/8 farming sounds too good to be true, and in my experience when something sounds too good to be true, it is. But 4/8 bosses have some serious HP to overcome, and when you are getting hit by an average of 2-3 spawns full of bosses at a time, blasters have a 16 person cap on their nukes and fireballs, and there are what... 280 mobs per map?

Assuming best recharge, you can get your nuke off 4 times in 3 minutes. or 3 times in 2:30.  that's 40-64 dead mobs. Plus a judgement for approximately 30 dead mobs, if you are very lucky. That means fireballs and secondary damage for the rest, assuming that he doesn't waste time trying to get useful dps out of fire breath.

If he can do it, great. I simply want to see how.

Barrier? Why on earth are you taking barrier? It's absolutely not needed to farm. I farm with fire/fire/fire, water/rad/fire, rad/mental/fire and none of them need barrier. I don't know about 2-3 min clear times on a blaster but I've never tried ice/fire/fire so can't comment on it. The ones I use (and I am sure any well built other combos) would never need barrier. 

• 3 years later

All asteroid hover farms:

I have an ice/ice blaster with blizzard/ice storm and the Pyro judgement. I also use the speed power that allows you to reset all your power cooldowns. I can drop 2/3 groups in an asteroid farm in seconds with it. Blizzard/Ice Storm > Pryo > more blizzard and ice storm.

I'm quite partial to my Psi/Psi blaster too...the PBAOE is pretty darn strong. Can nuke every 30 seconds or so.

Last blaster I'm using is a plant/plant one...the Creepers power draws in piles of additional mobs to aoe down. I combine it with confuse to have them nuking each other.

Oh and on fire blasters don't bother with the auras...it causes mobs to run.

Edited by The Bagman

Holy necro Batman.

I've watched an Ice/Fire in action and Banana Man's 2.5-3 minute clear times are accurate but this whole thing is largely an exercise in academics now as page 5's changes to the way aggro works dramatically increase incoming damage and I'm not sure the Blaster in question will survive the extra damage anymore. Sure, you can still farm on a Blaster, but it's not faster or more efficient than a Brute or Tanker like it used to be.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

I have an old ice/fire that I used for farming when I was of a mind to actively engage rather than afk.  For yucks just now I decided to see how it fared in a p5 world.  I'll let Pete Campbell summarize:

giphy.gif

Edited by Hedgefund