Purples should be removed from the AH

Dz131

16 minutes ago, Naraka said:

Enhancement conversion.

And what if don't want/need any of the purple conversions?  I'll just convert down to oranges and sell those on the AH, right?  So what have we actually accomplished by removing purples from the AH?

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

6 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

I doubt I'll ever even get to -see- a Purple, let alone slot them . . . and even I shall say:  This is NOT the way to add longevity to the game.

Content which gives the players opportunities to personally express themselves will provide longevity.  ie:  Improved Base building and sharing tools.  Improved AE.  Improved character customization and costumization.  Additional content, preferably designed to provide adaptive and reactive outcomes.

Adding distant goals would interest -some- of the players, but not all of them.  Making an existing goal which is presently obtainable and twisting it into something distant would frustrate many players and encourage them to -leave,- not stay.  

I would say that's true that player expression features does add longevity to the game, but so does character progression.  Usually successful games, single player or multiplayer, have plenty of both (FF14, Skyrim..etc), and it is a worth while accomplishment when you do achieve it.  Right now character progression is a very short road once you reach level 50 in CoX.  This like I said before is caused by cheap inf + the ability to buy exactly what you want when you want.

I think the only issue is the point you highlight about making the change to the existing system, might be too harsh.  So my next suggestion would be to make new items that are created scarce instead of already existing items.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dz131 said:

It gives the game longevity. This is the exact lesson Diablo 3 learned with the auction house.  People get bored quickly when you can buy the best loot and there's nothing to strive for, hence the constant calls for more content.  As of now the best way to gear up in CoX isn't to play the character, it's to roll a farmer and buy everything you need.  I think this is the opposite of the way the game should work.  

That would just change the best way to rolling a farmer on an alternate account and dual boxing.

Like I said before, if the players don't like the idea, that fine.  But there's no arguing it is a valid way to add longevity to a game.  The highest power items and skills are the most scarce and require the most time investment, which in turn leads to a feeling of accomplishment when you reach it.  This is literally the system in pretty much every RPG, let alone MMORPGS. 

Right now the highest level items are too easily obtained in CoX.

Edited by Dz131

12 minutes ago, Dz131 said:

I think the only issue is the point you highlight about making the change to the existing system, might be too harsh.  So my next suggestion would be to make new items that are created scarce instead of already existing items.

Incarnate salvage/threads/shards are already character-bound and Empyrean merits are account-bound, and both of those limitations suck. What you are proposing is grind for grind's sake - this isn't 2004 and the game has no shareholders to appease. As long as HC is meeting its monthly donation goals in minutes I don't think we're in danger of people leaving in droves because they're bored. If anything, the easy availability of items compared to live keeps people more interested because they're able to better support their crippling altoholism.

• Like 4

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

1 hour ago, Haijinx said:

Ok.  So all this quarantine stuff is bringing out all of the wild ideas.

No, I just see it as another case of "I don't like that this is possible, so make everyone unable to do it". If the OP doesn't want to buy purples on the AH, that's their prerogative. They can get all their purples from drops and share them out with their alts for their account. But that's not good enough; everyone else has to be made to play the same way, because that's the One True PlaystyleTM.

Edited by srmalloy
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Dz131 said:

The only way to get them should be through drops.  

56 minutes ago, Dz131 said:

No, the focus of the idea is that they;re not transferable between players.  So nothing like AH

I fail to see any focus in your original post.

Even if you had expanded on your OP with any sensible reasoning, the answer would still be no.

Why shouldn't someone be able to buy a purple  from the AH? Believe it or not some of us don't consider grinding for drops to be fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

19 minutes ago, Dz131 said:

Like I said before, if the players don't like the idea, that fine.  But there's no arguing it is a valid way to add longevity to a game.  The highest power items and skills are the most scarce and require the most time investment, which in turn leads to a feeling of accomplishment when you reach it.  This is literally the system in pretty much every RPG, let alone MMORPGS. 

Right now the highest level items are too easily obtained in CoX.

So we should then slow down level progression then, based on your theory?  Players can get to 50 in a matter of hours. I find that too easily obtained. They should slow down progression, it's a valid way to add longevity to the game.

/endsarcasm

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 minute ago, Oubliette_Red said:

So we should then slow down level progression then, based on your theory?  Players can get to 50 in a matter of hours. I find that too easily obtained. They should slow down progression, it's a valid way to add longevity to the game.

/endsarcasm

100%, I don't think PL toons to max in a span of hours is ever considered healthy in an MMO

Edited by Dz131

7 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Believe it or not some of us don't consider grinding for drops to be fun.

Ding!  We have a winner.  Keep that sh*t in other MMOs: don't drag it into this house.  This is one of the many differences that makes CoH superior to those.

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Rathstar

14 minutes ago, macskull said:

Incarnate salvage/threads/shards are already character-bound and Empyrean merits are account-bound, and both of those limitations suck. 

Honestly, incarnate salvage/threads/shards at the very least shouldn't be character bound. I can settle for account bound, but at the very least let us gear up our own alts (Especially since empyrean merits are account bound)

Ok, 131 . . . this is going to sound really fucking cheeky on my part, but what I'm about to propose to you is serious, okay?

Go read the entirety of:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/12155-going-forward-can-we-have-more-things-that-mean-something/

Not just the initial post; The Whole Thread.

It will take you some time, but it will be well worth it.

Just now, Tyrannical said:

Longevity? Son, the game was dead for 10 years, that doesn't speak much for longevity.

This game was dead, and then resurrected, and now has more players than other MMOs that were online the whole time (I'm looking at you, CO).  A game that was dead and buried and raised again: that's a Jesus game right there, son.  We're still talking about that dude 2,000 years later.  You don't get more "longevity" than that.

• Like 5

@Rathstar

Just now, Rathulfr said:

This game was dead, and then resurrected, and now has more players than other MMOs that were online the whole time (I'm looking at you, CO).  A game that was dead and buried and raised again: that's a Jesus game right there, son.  We're still talking about that dude 2,000 years later.  You don't get more "longevity" than that.

CoH has more players than CO but our playerbase is a joke compared to Final Fantasy or WoW. 

2 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

Ok, 131 . . . this is going to sound really fucking cheeky on my part, but what I'm about to propose to you is serious, okay?

Go read the entirety of:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/12155-going-forward-can-we-have-more-things-that-mean-something/

Not just the initial post; The Whole Thread.

It will take you some time, but it will be well worth it.

I read the first post which is asking for pretty the same thing: things you can invest time to earn instead of basically given to you (though to a lesser degree).  I imagine the thread is going to be like this thread, which is people telling the OP why he's wrong. 

What I posted is a suggestion, in the suggestion forum, of something that I think will make the game more enjoyable.  If it's the wrong audience, so be it.  It ultimately doesn't matter.  The game is dead any way, so private servers can do as they please.   They can start everyone with a lv50 and the best gear if they want.

The old devs were shifting in the way I suggested, by having more gear you have to earn instead of given handed to you (eg. incarnate costume pieces, at least when I played), if Homecoming doesn't want to go that direction that's obviously up to them.

8 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

Longevity? Son, the game was dead for 10 years, that doesn't speak much for longevity.

This is true.  Obviously the devs made some mistakes with the game (I think the game being too easy is one of them, thus the scramble for 50+ content towards the end).  If CoX had met certain metrics it would still be around offically, no matter if Korea likes it or not.

Just now, Moka said:

CoH has more players than CO but our playerbase is a joke compared to Final Fantasy or WoW. 

True, but I doubt that making CoH more like FF or WoW is going to do anything about that, either.  One of the many reasons I play CoH is precisely because it's not like FF or WoW.  I know many other players who feel the same way.  Grinding for purples isn't fun: it's tedious, and I don't think it belongs here.

Citizen:  "Help! The bank is being robbed!"

Hero:  "Not right now, I'm busy busting up this same drug ring for the 2,574th time in case I get the third piece of this purple set."

Citizen:  "But, but... the bank is being robbed!"

Hero:  "Buzz off, I'm busy."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Rathstar