Purples should be removed from the AH

Dz131

1 hour ago, Dz131 said:

There would be a system in place that should allow you to sell them for a high but not stupid price. 

The system already exists - it is called the Auction House.  Sell price is determined by the market.  If you are trying to sell something for a "stupid price", then no one will buy it and you will need to adjust your price accordingly to make a sale.

This game is already 16 years old and there are still people playing it.  I think this tosses your entire idea out the window.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dz131 said:

As of now the best way to gear up in CoX isn't to play the character, it's to roll a farmer and buy everything you need.  I think this is the opposite of the way the game should work.  

This. While I don't agree purples shouldn't be AH'able...the above is totally true. I know people who spend 90% of time in game farming up their next toon, then IO said toon with money they make..farming. And so on. The fact that a farmer can make such a crazy amount of money compared to the 'actual' game? Pretty sure we were never meant to be able to solo mobs of +3 bosses.

3 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

The system already exists - it is called the Auction House.  Sell price is determined by the market.  If you are trying to sell something for a "stupid price", then no one will buy it and you will need to adjust your price accordingly to make a sale.

This game is already 16 years old and there are still people playing it.  I think this tosses your entire idea out the window.

There are far more MMOs with the system I proposed (Soulbound/Account bound item).  It obviously is the more successful system.   

Considering the marketing juggernauts which are SquareEnix and Acti-Blizz . . . it's actually professionally debatable whether those games have much merit worth emulating, or just have REALLY good pushers swindling payers.

Like, seriously . . . it's an on-going debate in the games industry.  Those companies are bigger than god.  When they want an investment to return dividends, they push HARD.  Getting a look at their P.R. departments' standard operating procedure documentation is considered a Holy Grail by some other companies.

• Like 1

Just now, Razor Cure said:

This. While I don't agree purples shouldn't be AH'able...the above is totally true. I know people who spend 90% of time in game farming up their next toon, then IO said toon with money they make..farming. And so on. The fact that a farmer can make such a crazy amount of money compared to the 'actual' game? Pretty sure we were never meant to be able to solo mobs of +3 bosses.

I agree that we need better drop rates in regular content, to make playing the game more rewarding than farming/playing the market.  But making purple drops account-bound is still a bad idea.

• Like 2

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

4 minutes ago, Dz131 said:

There are far more MMOs with the system I proposed (Soulbound/Account bound item).  It obviously is the more successful system.   

Then I suggest you return to those more successful games, as it appears that's what you really want.  Many of us in this "unsuccessful" game would not welcome such a change.

"But mom, all the other kids are doing it!" is never going to win arguments.

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 4

@Rathstar

Yeah.  If the concern is "market or farm, no other way" . . . that's not just a valid concern:  It's the Big Elephant in the Room Right Now concern.  But like Rath said; modifying how Purples are procured won't fix that problem.  It will just add another problem.

We need a different solution to dissolve that particular elephant with.

1 hour ago, Rathulfr said:

And what if don't want/need any of the purple conversions?  I'll just convert down to oranges and sell those on the AH, right?  So what have we actually accomplished by removing purples from the AH?

Then you throw it to an alt or save it for a rainy day in alt-land after reaching level 50.

Just now, Rathulfr said:

Then I suggest you return to those more successful games, as it appears that's what you really want.  Many of us in this "unsuccessful" game would not welcome such a change.

Ding ding ding!  I was wondering how long it would take to get a "then quit and play something else" post.  I was expecting there to be at least one on page 1 tbh. 

Just now, Naraka said:

Then you throw it to an alt or save it for a rainy day in alt-land after reaching level 50.

So I have to do things your way and like it, then?

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Personally I think the game just needs a higher difficulty setting and new task-forces balanced around fully incarnate/IO'd toons. I know creating a taskforce would be easier than a new iTrial, as nice as a new iTrial would be.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dz131 said:

Ding ding ding!  I was wondering how long it would take to get a "then quit and play something else" post.  I was expecting there to be at least one on page 1 tbh. 

So you admit you were trolling from the start then?

@Rathstar

Just now, Rathulfr said:

So I have to do things your way and like it, then?

What the heck is wrong with you?  When did I say any of that?

Someone asked a question and I answered.  Or do you not remember the response being quoted?

No need to fight. Let's keep it civil. I do imagine Dz131 feels a little piled on right now. I agree with the feeling that it feels like built characters are now meant to be the "standard" rather than something you spent months if not years aspiring to on a single character, but I kind of like that I can play a bunch of content viable characters now. However, we have a lack of a sink to really push these characters outside of custom made content in the AE. 

1 minute ago, Dz131 said:

Are you always this defensive?  

Yes.

• Haha 2

@Rathstar

I'm still not sure if you've explained why this system is preferable. A sense of accomplishment is a very nebulous and subjective stick to measure by. A sense of progression is maybe a bit more measureable. Number go up, and all that. But for what purpose should the number go up further than it is at the moment?

Surely for more progression the HC Devs would be better off adding more Incarnate systems and content rather than hobbling a player's capability to acquire purples? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Naraka said:

What the heck is wrong with you?  When did I say any of that?

Someone asked a question and I answered.  Or do you not remember the response being quoted?

So I'll repeat the question: "And what if don't want/need any of the purple conversions?"  If I don't want/need the conversions, why shouldn't I be able to sell it on the AH, as I can now?  Sure, I could move it around alts for eternity, but what if I believe that I'd derive more benefit than that by selling it?  

I'm not the one suggesting a change: I'm merely countering the suggestion.  If I can't sell the purple on the AH, I'm forced to keep it or delete it, ultimately. That's what I meant by my follow-up question about forcing me to do things your way, instead of the current way.

@Rathstar

Longevity? Son, the game was dead for 10 years, that doesn't speak much for longevity.

31 minutes ago, Dz131 said:

This is true.  Obviously the devs made some mistakes with the game (I think the game being too easy is one of them, thus the scramble for 50+ content towards the end).  If CoX had met certain metrics it would still be around offically, no matter if Korea likes it or not.

Joke Jk GIF - Joke Jk Penguin GIFs

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nanolathe said:

I'm still not sure if you've explained why this system is preferable. A sense of accomplishment is a very nebulous and subjective stick to measure by. A sense of progression is maybe a bit more measureable. Number go up, and all that. But for what purpose should the number go up further than it is at the moment?

Surely for more progression the HC Devs would be better off adding more Incarnate systems and content rather than hobbling a player's capability to acquire purples? 

I think if the game was still live this without a doubt had already happened.  The idea is to always add progression to a game.  The problem is that progression is currently too easy/non existent in HC.  Erasing purples would have been a pretty harsh fix, I agree.  The other options is to constantly churn out more 50+ content which is what happened on live but not very feasible here I think, or drastically limit the money supply so that in it self becomes the hurdle to going from fresh 50 to decked out in a heartbeat.

1 minute ago, Rathulfr said:

So I'll repeat the question: "And what if don't want/need any of the purple conversions?"  If I don't want/need the conversions, why shouldn't I be able to sell it on the AH, as I can now?  Sure, I could move it around alts for eternity, but what if I believe that I'd derive more benefit than that by selling it?  

I'm not the one suggesting a change: I'm merely countering the suggestion.  If I can't sell the purple on the AH, I'm forced to keep it or delete it, ultimately. That's what I meant by my follow-up question about forcing me to do things your way, instead of the current way.

And the answer would be the same: if you don't want the purple it's converted to, convert it to some other purple.  If the only reason you don't want a purple is on principle, why do you need an answer that conforms only to your principles?  At that point, you aren't even asking a question because you already know the answer.