Purples should be removed from the AH

Dz131

1 hour ago, MunkiLord said:

This is the most incorrect statement in the thread, and it's not even close. 

Ehhhhh.... point of view. For the most part I agree. I don't really like what's happened with a lot of it, seeing it as power creep that could have been nipped in the bud, but it's the way the game is now - and honestly, doesn't affect me for the most part. Other than annoyance at people thinking anything without perma-everything is unplayable.

For some things, though - and they're admittedly a small part of the game - I'd agree they were ruined. Sort of. PVP zones are generally empty - at least when they were newish and up through the i13 changes, the zones could still be entered and experimented with by a casual player. Now, between a dedicated PVPer having an IO build and powers not working the same way, there's a bar to competing in the zones.

Of course, that is offset by practically never *seeing* anyone there, but on a theoretical level... 🙂

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

10 hours ago, Greycat said:

Ehhhhh.... point of view. For the most part I agree. I don't really like what's happened with a lot of it, seeing it as power creep that could have been nipped in the bud, but it's the way the game is now - and honestly, doesn't affect me for the most part. Other than annoyance at people thinking anything without perma-everything is unplayable.

For some things, though - and they're admittedly a small part of the game - I'd agree they were ruined. Sort of. PVP zones are generally empty - at least when they were newish and up through the i13 changes, the zones could still be entered and experimented with by a casual player. Now, between a dedicated PVPer having an IO build and powers not working the same way, there's a bar to competing in the zones.

I agree too; I play the game we have, but I thought the game was best in terms of in-mission gameplay between ED and IOs, and particularly it's absurd to say the pre-IO game was "shitty"; it's a game I, and many others, enjoyed for years. There was a noticeable transition between pre-Inventions where you sometimes had to think about the current situation when teaming, and post-Inventions where you just had to know how to play your character - let alone now where big teams steamroll everything. I would at most have introduced a small number of specific special enhancements like modest knockback protection for squishies.

Of course, I recognise that ship has sailed. Players who feel like me are much less likely to have kept on playing the game, so the majority of the playerbase at shutdown - and now - likes the Invention system.

You're quite right about the effect on PVP, especially on live with brutally expensive PVP-Os. It's as if for every thousand chess games you played, you got to start with an extra pawn. (Indeed, the situation in Go is the opposite - you get extra stones against the master, to make for a more interesting game). The benefit of experience should be experience; no-one wants to stick their toe in when the game mechanics themselves are tilted against them.

This got a lot of pushback from the people who had ground out PVP builds, but it's still true. No-one likes to play when there's effectively no chance to win. I'd have done the opposite - a dedicated "PVP build" slot always active in PVP zones, and enhancements and respecs for it are free or dirt cheap.

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

Frankly, I will not support this suggestion.

In principle I do not support any suggestion that is based on a single individual's opinion on how they think the game should be played, especially if it is prohibits other peoples' choices.

I could support a suggestion that allows for personal choices or those agreed as a team, like when you set the difficulties before entering a TF it is normally an agreed undertaking. So if you want to have a flag, where the player chooses not be the able to buy purples at AH, I am fine with that.

Hugs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thunderforce said:

I agree too; I play the game we have, but I thought the game was best in terms of in-mission gameplay between ED and IOs, and particularly it's absurd to say the pre-IO game was "shitty"; it's a game I, and many others, enjoyed for years. There was a noticeable transition between pre-Inventions where you sometimes had to think about the current situation when teaming, and post-Inventions where you just had to know how to play your character - let alone now where big teams steamroll everything. I would at most have introduced a small number of specific special enhancements like modest knockback protection for squishies.

Of course, I recognise that ship has sailed. Players who feel like me are much less likely to have kept on playing the game, so the majority of the playerbase at shutdown - and now - likes the Invention system.

You're quite right about the effect on PVP, especially on live with brutally expensive PVP-Os. It's as if for every thousand chess games you played, you got to start with an extra pawn. (Indeed, the situation in Go is the opposite - you get extra stones against the master, to make for a more interesting game). The benefit of experience should be experience; no-one wants to stick their toe in when the game mechanics themselves are tilted against them.

This got a lot of pushback from the people who had ground out PVP builds, but it's still true. No-one likes to play when there's effectively no chance to win. I'd have done the opposite - a dedicated "PVP build" slot always active in PVP zones, and enhancements and respecs for it are free or dirt cheap.

Without IOs the game would have died a whole lot sooner. There is no way around that fact. A lot of players hated the SO process of having to replace your enhancements every few levels. IOs completely and radically changed that tedium. The devs needed another wide ranging long term system for players to invest in (and thus continue to pay monthly sub fees) since they could not create actual content (story arcs, tfs, costumes, etc) fast enough.

And modern mmos at the time had crafting. It was something COH needed, and it was as simple a crafting system as they could come up with in a superhero game.

I'm not sure we would have had as many issues of content of COH as we had before shutdown, if IOs were not created. (I include the AH, purples, procs etc with IOS). Hell we might never have even made it to the Incarnate years. 

11 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

Without IOs the game would have died a whole lot sooner. There is no way around that fact. A lot of players hated the SO process of having to replace your enhancements every few levels. IOs completely and radically changed that tedium. The devs needed another wide ranging long term system for players to invest in (and thus continue to pay monthly sub fees) since they could not create actual content (story arcs, tfs, costumes, etc) fast enough.

And modern mmos at the time had crafting. It was something COH needed, and it was as simple a crafting system as they could come up with in a superhero game.

I'm not sure we would have had as many issues of content of COH as we had before shutdown, if IOs were not created. (I include the AH, purples, procs etc with IOS). Hell we might never have even made it to the Incarnate years. 

Also the IOs were placed to allow the players to balance or overcome their Archtype's natural shortcomings, for example a tanker had little for damage in th eold days, but could buy the appropriate IOs and gain considerable damage ability, likewise the support types who constantly died in missions could enhance their defense thru IOs and be much more survivable. IOs in many ways made the game more fun to many and allowed each player to enjoy the game in the manner of their choosing and liking

• Like 1

14 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

Without IOs the game would have died a whole lot sooner. There is no way around that fact.

That's not a fact; it's sheer guesswork, especially given that we have no way of knowing what a like amount of development effort elsewhere could have produced. It might even have removed the "SO process of having to replace your enhancements every few levels" - like Homecoming is doing with volunteer developers.

I don't suppose we could skip the bit where everyone who likes Inventions tells me they like Inventions (which I know; I acknowledge above that the vast majority of the existing playerbase like Inventions), tells me that I'm wrong for not liking Inventions (de gustibus non est disputandum, and all that), and rejects angrily the suggestion of removing them (which I didn't make)?

Edited by thunderforce
  • Like 1

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

6 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

There *is* a middle ground, though. As I recall, the devs wanted something in place when they put in ED - remember how long the universities just sat there with no purpose anyone could tell? There's a wide range between "I wish we never had IOs" and "Gimme those purples." 🙂 But, as has been mentioned, the time for those adjustments is long past.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

11 hours ago, thunderforce said:

That's not a fact; it's sheer guesswork, especially given that we have no way of knowing what a like amount of development effort elsewhere could have produced. It might even have removed the tedium of replacing SOs - like Homecoming is doing with volunteer developers.

I don't suppose we could skip the bit where everyone who likes Inventions tells me they like Inventions (which I know; I acknowledge above that the vast majority of the existing playerbase like Inventions), tells me that I'm wrong for not liking Inventions (de gustibus non est disputandum, and all that), and rejects angrily the suggestion of removing them (which I didn't make)?

You don't have to like inventions. But the fact is the devs at the time could not make content fast enough to keep people paying and playing. Inventions helped with that.

55 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

You don't have to like inventions. But the fact is the devs at the time could not make content fast enough to keep people paying and playing. Inventions helped with that.

This is a rather different fact compared to the last supposed fact, and - is that true compared to whatever they could have done instead of the invention system? I don't know that, and neither do you.

2 minutes ago, thunderforce said:

This is a rather different fact compared to the last supposed fact, and - is that true compared to whatever they could have done instead of the invention system? I don't know that, and neither do you.

well they could have brought on incarnates earlier possibly.

However, that took them forever over many issues to flesh out (and still wasn't complete by time of shutdown).

Meh.

EDIT: Also to be clear in response to the original OP, NO purples should NOT be removed from the AH. 😛

Edited by golstat2003

1 hour ago, golstat2003 said:

well they could have brought on incarnates earlier possibly.

However, that took them forever over many issues to flesh out (and still wasn't complete by time of shutdown).

To be kind of nitpicky, Incarnates weren't a system originally. They were meant to be an EAT when first mentioned. That fell to the wayside along with Avilans, Blood of the Black Stream, Nictus, and (possibly) Coralax.

I should've asked that when they had the AMAs - the process of turning Incarnates from an EAT to an end-game system. Had Incarnates been dropped entirely as an idea, and the idea and name turned up when trying to figure out what the end game system was and should be called?

On 4/19/2020 at 6:19 PM, MunkiLord said:

This is the most incorrect statement in the thread, and it's not even close. 

You think he could have done this without IO sets ? 

Warhammer community used to use the comment cheesy player. Yea could do something but it ruins the spirit of the game. Its basically win at all cost.. 

Being cheesy is like having a minion carry a bomb to blow up half a map as an analogy. 

EG playing a virtual game where you pretend to be  a Super Hero / Super Villain and then go into a AE mission to PL to 50 and not play any content ( which I am guilty of ).

Before MIDS many smart folks where using pen and paper to add up the numbers or running excel sheets.  With the implement of MIDS many less brainy ( Like myself ) now have the ability to put builds together.  Mind you with this requires that you understand the game mechanics at least. Just having MIDS doesn't mean anything. 

As you can see even the Options in MIDS allows for different scenarios.. EG the ability to suppress defense numbers in stealth like powers to get real combat numbers.

My personal belief is they should allowed only X amount of sets per character build. EG 5 sets total per build. This way you could either have picked sets to shore up your defenses but did standard DPS. Or built up your DPS more. Middle of the road.. ETC..

But today I can make a blaster type character with full defense cap and improve DPS and also have higher regeneration & recovery numbers. 

But it is obvious by Werner post even he feels something has changed to make characters a bit too powerful. 

I don't know Werner and I have no reason to give him accolades and I am not even tagging him here for that reason. 

But I have to give credit where credit is due. He a very good working knowledge of the game mechanics and a bit more and Brute and Tanks have always been his niche. 

Yes it did take 9 hours to do, but I have seen Blasters doing it in less time as well. 

I will not say that I know what the original DEVs were thinking when putting stuff together with Task forces and such.

But I can't imagine they made Task Forces to be soloed.. I just don't see. Again I could be totally off base. But really don't think so.

Again as was also mentioned.. The horse has left the barn, its a bit difficult to pull this all back in now.

End result you put together 2 or 3 builds that have accomplished this solo together you wouldn't need 8 players at all..  

4 hours ago, plainguy said:

But it is obvious by Werner post even he feels something has changed to make characters a bit too powerful. 

Yes. I don't personally think it's a good thing that I was able to make a build and go out and do this on the first try. Or the 100th try. I think the game would have been better if it wasn't possible.

But that's not the same as saying we should change something now, and I don't think that IOs ruined the game. I'm sure for some people they did ruin the game, but when they were introduced, the additional complexity they added to builds was exactly the kind of puzzle I needed to make me fall in love with the game all over again. And I don't think power levels at the time were excessive, though some may think otherwise, and that's fine too. It's all subjective. Of course we'll all have different opinions, and that's just fine.

I think incarnate powers are the main thing that pushed power levels way up in the current game, but then, I'm guessing that was the point of them. We were becoming incarnates, becoming much more powerful. Look at how amazing we are now, wow! We are teh uberz! Then boom, hit us with much harder content to humble us all again and bring the challenge back. I'd have loved that if done right, though I had my fears about whether it would or even could be done right. But with the game ending suddenly, we never really got the challenge back, leaving us too powerful for some people's tastes, including my own. Definitely not to the point of me disliking the game - I still love the game. But I think I loved it even more before incarnate powers, loved it more when the Rikti War Zone Challenge was hard for me, when soloing AVs was hard for me. I'm not advocating for the removal of incarnate powers, mind you, as I think removing them at this point would annoy far more people than it pleased.

Also causing power inflation is the introduction of new sets. The winter sets for instance are very powerful, similar to the purple sets. I think we'd have been better off without new sets in the new game. But again, I'm not advocating for their removal, and for the same reason as before. Also causing power inflation, yet at the same time a solution to other issues of the game, is the sets offering much more resistance than before. I think this is probably overall a good thing, as it seems like you should be able to buff resistance on resistance sets as easily as you can buff defense on defense sets. But it does contribute to the power level problem. It would have at least been significantly harder to do what I did without those resistance changes. Also causing power inflation is enhancement boosters, though less so, particularly from an influence to benefit standpoint I think. But again, they're here now, and it'd probably cause more grumbling to remove them than to keep them.

So this might frustrate some people, but I'm making no suggestions at all to solve any perceived power level problem. I think we're better off at this point not solving the problem at all, and of course plenty of people probably don't even see it as a problem. I think we just need to avoid making it any worse if possible. No more new sets. No more power creep. Just draw a line in the sand before we go any further. But I doubt many people in the game at large would agree with me on that. People tend to want new shiny things. And if that's what most people want, I don't want to stand in the way.

Back on the original suggestion, I don't think account binding purples and only getting them through drops would improve the enjoyment of the game for most people. I think more often it would just widen the gulf between what people willing to grind endlessly can accomplish and casual players can accomplish, and lead to louder grumbling about overpowered characters. And I think City of Heroes has always occupied a casual niche, and should continue to do so. I like that I can go out and accomplish something, then post a build, and without huge effort at least, anyone can quickly level up a new 50, buy some IOs, grind out the incarnate powers, grab the accolades, and go do exactly what I did. On the old Scrapper forum, we'd always played this strange game of king of the hill where instead of trying to push other people off the hill, we were trying to get as many people as we could to join us on the hill. Look what we can do! You can do this too! And you can. Yes, it still takes a little time and investment unless you're willing to do it on the test server only. But it's not a huge investment of time and effort. I think it's good that people can fairly easily duplicate anything I do, not bad. I'm not special. My build isn't secret or unique. It didn't take 3000 hours of grinding over the course of years. And I don't want to add more grind by making purples account bound and drops only. Again, this is all subjective. I'm calling it "grind", but I personally enjoy "grinding" and I know lots of other people do too. Despite the odds against grinding out a full purple set, I'd probably still eventually do it on my favorite character, eventually slightly improve my character that way. Or maybe not. But lots of people do get a sense of accomplishment from spending a lot of time and effort to accomplish something, and many MMOs cater to that. But again, City of Heroes has always occupied a casual niche, and I'm personally OK with that. I think that's the niche it should continue to occupy.

And I'm also glad that people make suggestions. And I can dislike a suggestion while still being happy that the suggestion was made. So thank you, OP, for making the suggestion, even if I don't personally like it, even if I personally think it would make the game worse not better. But you're trying to improve the game. That's a good thing. Thank you. It's unfortunate that people have gotten riled up, but I can understand it - we're passionate about the game. That's also good most of the time. 🙂 

Edited by Werner
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, plainguy said:

You think he could have done this without IO sets ? 

Warhammer community used to use the comment cheesy player. Yea could do something but it ruins the spirit of the game. Its basically win at all cost.. 

Being cheesy is like having a minion carry a bomb to blow up half a map as an analogy. 

EG playing a virtual game where you pretend to be  a Super Hero / Super Villain and then go into a AE mission to PL to 50 and not play any content ( which I am guilty of ).

Before MIDS many smart folks where using pen and paper to add up the numbers or running excel sheets.  With the implement of MIDS many less brainy ( Like myself ) now have the ability to put builds together.  Mind you with this requires that you understand the game mechanics at least. Just having MIDS doesn't mean anything. 

As you can see even the Options in MIDS allows for different scenarios.. EG the ability to suppress defense numbers in stealth like powers to get real combat numbers.

My personal belief is they should allowed only X amount of sets per character build. EG 5 sets total per build. This way you could either have picked sets to shore up your defenses but did standard DPS. Or built up your DPS more. Middle of the road.. ETC..

But today I can make a blaster type character with full defense cap and improve DPS and also have higher regeneration & recovery numbers. 

I don't know Werner and I have no reason to give him accolades and I am not even tagging him here for that reason. 

But I have to give credit where credit is due. He a very good working knowledge of the game mechanics and a bit more and Brute and Tanks have always been his niche. 

Yes it did take 9 hours to do, but I have seen Blasters doing it in less time as well. 

I will not say that I know what the original DEVs were thinking when putting stuff together with Task forces and such.

But I can't imagine they made Task Forces to be soloed.. I just don't see. Again I could be totally off base. But really don't think so.

Again as was also mentioned.. The horse has left the barn, its a bit difficult to pull this all back in now.

End result you put together 2 or 3 builds that have accomplished this solo together you wouldn't need 8 players at all..  

Werner addressed this well, but I will add that IOs made the game better in pretty much every way possible. That being said, I think it's fair to question if our current power levels are ideal or not. But without IOs, this would be a terribly boring game by 2010 standards, and likely wouldn't be back today at all.

2 hours ago, Werner said:

Yes. I don't personally think it's a good thing that I was able to make a build and go out and do this on the first try. Or the 100th try. I think the game would have been better if it wasn't possible.

But that's not the same as saying we should change something now, and I don't think that IOs ruined the game. I'm sure for some people they did ruin the game, but when they were introduced, the additional complexity they added to builds was exactly the kind of puzzle I needed to make me fall in love with the game all over again. And I don't think power levels at the time were excessive, though some may think otherwise, and that's fine too. It's all subjective. Of course we'll all have different opinions, and that's just fine.

I think incarnate powers are the main thing that pushed power levels way up in the current game, but then, I'm guessing that was the point of them. We were becoming incarnates, becoming much more powerful. Look at how amazing we are now, wow! We are teh uberz! Then boom, hit us with much harder content to humble us all again and bring the challenge back. I'd have loved that if done right, though I had my fears about whether it would or even could be done right. But with the game ending suddenly, we never really got the challenge back, leaving us too powerful for some people's tastes, including my own. Definitely not to the point of me disliking the game - I still love the game. But I think I loved it even more before incarnate powers, loved it more when the Rikti War Zone Challenge was hard for me, when soloing AVs was hard for me. I'm not advocating for the removal of incarnate powers, mind you, as I think removing them at this point would annoy far more people than it pleased.

Also causing power inflation is the introduction of new sets. The winter sets for instance are very powerful, similar to the purple sets. I think we'd have been better off without new sets in the new game. But again, I'm not advocating for their removal, and for the same reason as before. Also causing power inflation, yet at the same time a solution to other issues of the game, is the sets offering much more resistance than before. I think this is probably overall a good thing, as it seems like you should be able to buff resistance on resistance sets as easily as you can buff defense on defense sets. But it does contribute to the power level problem. It would have at least been significantly harder to do what I did without those resistance changes. Also causing power inflation is enhancement boosters, though less so, particularly from an influence to benefit standpoint I think. But again, they're here now, and it'd probably cause more grumbling to remove them than to keep them.

So this might frustrate some people, but I'm making no suggestions at all to solve any perceived power level problem. I think we're better off at this point not solving the problem at all, and of course plenty of people probably don't even see it as a problem. I think we just need to avoid making it any worse if possible. No more new sets. No more power creep. Just draw a line in the sand before we go any further. But I doubt many people in the game at large would agree with me on that. People tend to want new shiny things. And if that's what most people want, I don't want to stand in the way.

Back on the original suggestion, I don't think account binding purples and only getting them through drops would improve the enjoyment of the game for most people. I think more often it would just widen the gulf between what people willing to grind endlessly can accomplish and casual players can accomplish, and lead to louder grumbling about overpowered characters. And I think City of Heroes has always occupied a casual niche, and should continue to do so. I like that I can go out and accomplish something, then post a build, and without huge effort at least, anyone can quickly level up a new 50, buy some IOs, grind out the incarnate powers, grab the accolades, and go do exactly what I did. On the old Scrapper forum, we'd always played this strange game of king of the hill where instead of trying to push other people off the hill, we were trying to get as many people as we could to join us on the hill. Look what we can do! You can do this too! And you can. Yes, it still takes a little time and investment unless you're willing to do it on the test server only. But it's not a huge investment of time and effort. I think it's good that people can fairly easily duplicate anything I do, not bad. I'm not special. My build isn't secret or unique. It didn't take 3000 hours of grinding over the course of years. And I don't want to add more grind by making purples account bound and drops only. Again, this is all subjective. I'm calling it "grind", but I personally enjoy "grinding" and I know lots of other people do too. Despite the odds against grinding out a full purple set, I'd probably still eventually do it on my favorite character, eventually slightly improve my character that way. Or maybe not. But lots of people do get a sense of accomplishment from spending a lot of time and effort to accomplish something, and many MMOs cater to that. But again, City of Heroes has always occupied a casual niche, and I'm personally OK with that. I think that's the niche it should continue to occupy.

And I'm also glad that people make suggestions. And I can dislike a suggestion while still being happy that the suggestion was made. So thank you, OP, for making the suggestion, even if I don't personally like it, even if I personally think it would make the game worse not better. But you're trying to improve the game. That's a good thing. Thank you. It's unfortunate that people have gotten riled up, but I can understand it - we're passionate about the game. That's also good most of the time. 🙂 

I like everything you said here and completely agree. The old Scrapper boards were absolutely my favorite part of the old forums. I think I learned more there than the rest of the forums combined.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

Werner addressed this well, but I will add that IOs made the game better in pretty much every way possible. That being said, I think it's fair to question if our current power levels are ideal or not. But without IOs, this would be a terribly boring game by 2010 standards, and likely wouldn't be back today at all.

I like everything you said here and completely agree. The old Scrapper boards were absolutely my favorite part of the old forums. I think I learned more there than the rest of the forums combined.

I agree about the IOs..  
Don't get me wrong., I eventually fell in line back in the day and created a farmer  after having 15 or 20 level 50 toons.

When I came back to Homecoming I got my old AR Device to 50  ( first 50 ) and PL another farming toon to 50 using comic con S/L farm. 

Now I almost Power Level all my toons. 

I have purples and PvP IOs sitting all over the place.  

I store IOs and Salvage on AH. 

I paid 250 on the first or 2nd month for a donation. 

I would pay 250 just to have all these IOS and salvage in one place and organized. 

Just getting the IOs and salvage together takes HOURS..

I literally use the 2nd toon to hold salvage and feed it to the other toon to make ios while he is crafting..  Or I use him to go to the bins and get stuff so I don't have to move the other toon from the crafting table Or I send him top side to buy what I am short from AH.. 

And as always I buy 5 IOs I might need for 6 million each and then discover I had 2 of them already on another toon later on..

My goal is to do ITF solo with a petless mastermind.. Basically the lowest hit point, highest endurance use toon in the game. 

I'm not a fan of account bound items. I don't really mind Reward Merits because I convert them into inf but I find the others rather annoying. I'm much happier buying what I need and selling what I don't.

@Dz131 you mentioned that your intention is to add something for us to keep working towards once we've hit 50. I'm in two minds about that. On the one hand, I like to have goals of some kind. Levelling and creating a build is an obvious goal. On the other hand I get a sense of completion from finishing a toon. I don't really want to lose that. If you can come up with some additional goal or achievement that doesn't impact my build then I'll be happy to see them. (e.g. badges)

• Like 2