Consider upgrading servers (and call for donations to do it)

I was simultaneously delighted and dismayed to have to queue for fifteen minutes last night to get on Torchbearer when it had 2000ish logins. It might be time to consider upgrading the server to handle more logins: a robust Supergroup community and a critical mass for being able to team for TFs seems like it will be ideal at a higher number.

Call for donations again if you need it to do this: a lot of us will send you money!

Much love and many thanks.

Remember that the loads aren't static during the day. Now, for example, there's only a 9% server load.

It's probably a matter of balancing the hardware budget: the queueing is meant to keep things working when the servers are overloaded; if it never has to apply, then the servers are probably overkill for actual use.

Or, alternatively, if there's enough desire for this game that the community exceeds donation requests within a HALF HOUR of opening donations... perhaps additional hardware is NOT in fact overkill? That screams to me that the community would like the game to be open 24/7 with no queuing, ever, and they're willing to put their money with their mouth is. At least, that's what I got from it.

I'm out.

I'd also like to note that this game is fundamentally good for my mental health and I'd like to play it on and off (mostly on) for the next fifty years: having some sort of trust or other legal/financial instrument in place to take care of the development team long-long term is not a bad idea.

I'd certainly rather have higher capacity servers rather than more servers. While it can be a bit silly to spawn in Talos 3 (Talos!?) I love the intense level of activity on the server and the availability of big crowds that are going to be essential as folks spread across Praetoria, CoV, and all the high end content on CoH.

Right now I can get a pick up group in Steel Canyon almost as fast as I can ask for one (though I doubt the same in Skyway City... but who knows). Talos was only a bit longer. That sort of thing is essential for my prefered support builds who can only solo on "I'm in the mood to be in this blue cave a long time" mode (which I don't mind, but I'd hate to spend a whole evening soloing on day I was really hoping for a team).

Now if I could just convince people to use the team finder...

Anyway, higher capacity servers, not more servers. (Assuming the code supports this.)

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn