Plotting my next move: Psi/WP

Generator

Hey there,

So like the subject line says, I'm strongly considering making my next character a Psi Melee/Willpower Scrapper.  I tried out Psi Melee last fall, and that's fine, but anything I ever knew about how to build/slot a Willpower character has evaporated over time.  Anyone got any advice on this one?  If you've played this recently, care to "show a little ankle" on a build?

Thanks.

Later on,

Generator

I have played Psi Melee on Stalker, Brute and Tank... not on scrapper, but the only major difference is the Tanker version of Greater Psi Blade (accidentally?) gets Insight Spread(!!) whereas the others do not.  I think it makes Psi Melee palatable for tanks, however.  Hope they don't "fix" it.

Anyway, I play a lot of WP across all archetypes, so I slapped together what I would do for a Psi Melee / Willpower scrapper:

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

PsiM-WP: Level 50 Natural Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Psionic Melee
Secondary Power Set: Willpower
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Flight
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Psi Blade -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(45), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(46), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(46), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48)
Level 1: High Pain Tolerance -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(42), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(43), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(43), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(43), NmnCnv-Heal(45)
Level 2: Mind Over Body -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(40), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(40), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(40), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(42), UnbGrd-Max HP%(42)
Level 4: Combat Jumping -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(5)
Level 6: Telekinetic Blow -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(7), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(7), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(39), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 8: Concentration -- AdjTrg-Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(9), GssSynFr--Build%(9)
Level 10: Psi Blade Sweep -- Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Erd-Dmg(11), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), Obl-Acc/Rchg(25)
Level 12: Indomitable Will -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(13), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(39)
Level 14: Fast Healing -- NmnCnv-Heal(A), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(15), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(15)
Level 16: Rise to the Challenge -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(17), Prv-Heal(17), Prv-Absorb%(19), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(19), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(23)
Level 18: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 20: Quick Recovery -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(21), PrfShf-End%(21)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(50), GldArm-3defTpProc(50)
Level 26: Greater Psi Blade -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(27), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(27), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(37), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 28: Heightened Senses -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(29), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(29), Rct-Def/Rchg(31), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Rct-ResDam%(36)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(31)
Level 32: Mass Levitate -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(33), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Obl-%Dam(34)
Level 35: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(36)
Level 38: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Physical Perfection -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(45)
Level 47: Tactics -- AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(48), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Hover -- Flight-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Heal(A), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(3), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(5)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(3)
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:

• 10% DamageBuff(Smashing)
  • 10% DamageBuff(Lethal)
  • 10% DamageBuff(Fire)
  • 10% DamageBuff(Cold)
  • 10% DamageBuff(Energy)
  • 10% DamageBuff(Negative)
  • 10% DamageBuff(Toxic)
  • 10% DamageBuff(Psionic)
  • 20.69% Defense(Smashing)
  • 20.69% Defense(Lethal)
  • 6% Defense(Fire)
  • 6% Defense(Cold)
  • 9.13% Defense(Energy)
  • 9.13% Defense(Negative)
  • 6% Defense(Psionic)
  • 18.5% Defense(Melee)
  • 7.56% Defense(Ranged)
  • 6% Defense(AoE)
  • 1.8% Max End
  • 9% Enhancement(Accuracy)
  • 11.25% Enhancement(Max EnduranceDiscount)
  • 36.25% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  • 15% SpeedFlying
  • GrantPower Preventive Medicine (10% chance, if Scourge)
  • 366.4 HP (27.37%) HitPoints
  • 15% JumpHeight
  • 15% SpeedJumping
  • MezResist(Confused) 61.25%
  • MezResist(Held) 61.25%
  • MezResist(Immobilized) 61.25%
  • MezResist(Sleep) 61.25%
  • MezResist(Stunned) 61.25%
  • MezResist(Terrorized) 61.25%
  • MezResist(Teleport) 100% (20% chance)
  • 78% (4.35 HP/sec) Regeneration
  • 20% ResEffect(SpeedFlying)
  • 20% ResEffect(RechargeTime)
  • 20% ResEffect(SpeedRunning)
  • 16.25% Resistance(Smashing)
  • 16.25% Resistance(Lethal)
  • 20.75% Resistance(Fire)
  • 20.75% Resistance(Cold)
  • 17% Resistance(Energy)
  • 17% Resistance(Negative)
  • 14.75% Resistance(Toxic)
  • 14.75% Resistance(Psionic)
  • 15% SpeedRunning
  •  

I did not go nuts with the LotG global recharge because you really have nothing that gains from high recharge (Concentration, perhaps).  Still, LotG is a great set for 2-, 3-, and 4-slotting, as all of the bonuses are very helpful for WP.  One could 2-slot Indomitable will with two LotG (Def/End & Global) and move the Shield Wall proc to Combat Jumping, and change the Flying IO in Hover to a LotG Global, get the max 5.  Also, Hover at 49 is helpful should you ever hami raid, etc.  You could swap it out for any 1-slot "throw away" (e.g. Resurgence, Vengeance, etc).

Thing about WP is don't strive for caps.  It is the most perfectly-layered armor set in the game, balancing defense, resistances, and regeneration.  It's tricky in that when it fails (similar to SR) it fails hard; however, also like SR, when it works, it's God Mode.  So get a LOT of HP (accolades, set bonuses, etc) and let that regen WORK!  In this build, regen will go from 664% (58 hp/s) with 1 mob, all the way to 1088% (95 hp/s) with the max 10 mobs around you.  Combine the small -ToHit debuff from Rise along with your decent defenses, coupled with good resists and you aren't needing to heal up as much.

Psi Melee, on the other hand, is quite boring.  I really wanted to like it (thus, made three toons with it, they're all 50 and geared out); the tank is the most enjoyable, as I can be a great meat-shield while having 1 spammable (sweep) and 1 quick-recharge AoE (mass lev).  Still, there are so few attacks (5) and nothing else to click (thanks, WP!) it might make for a boring combo, depending on your preferred style of play.

Edited by r0y

One other thing about Psi damage, in general, but also specific to Psi Melee:  If you plan on playing a lot of incarnate stuff (iTrials) you will NOT be doing a lot of damage, as many things in the end game content resist psi damage (similar with clockworks and all other mechanical/robot mobs) since a lot of mobs are Praetorian clockwork, etc.

Couple that with the terrible mechanic that is "Insight" and you'll quickly be disappointed.  The idea of insight is fine, but like rad melee's contamination mechanic, the real world practicality of it is horrible.  Except on tanks, where it spreads the "Insight Strike" on Greater Psi Blade.  If all ATs got that "bug" then Psi Melee would be almost on par with most other melee damage sets (but still behind due to psi damage/end game).

There are so many good melee damage sets, but I am sorry to say that Psi Melee is not one of them.  You have been warned.

Edited by r0y

8 minutes ago, r0y said:

the Tanker version of Greater Psi Blade (accidentally?) gets Insight Spread(!!)

That was supposedly fixed in January's Page 4 update (Jan. 23):

Tanker Melee > Psionic Melee > Greater Psi Blade: Should no longer do AoE insight damage.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Caulderone said:

That was supposedly fixed in January's Page 4 update (Jan. 23):

Tanker Melee > Psionic Melee > Greater Psi Blade: Should no longer do AoE insight damage.

Well Sunuva...  Guess it's been a while since I played my tank (he is Rad Armor/Psi Melee - and rad armor is terrible, psi melee weak, he doesn't get played much).

Guess we can add Psi Melee to the list of bad melee, just below Energy Melee (which, at least, does damage later on).

Hey,

First off, thanks for the reply.

I'm well aware of Psionic damage's issues in the late game, I have an MC/Psi Dom that is a recreation of one of my mains from the Live era.  This is not my first rodeo here.  🙂

I'm glad to hear you don't think WP is "softcap or bust."  I got my defenses pretty darned high, but not into softcap territory.  Independent of when you sent your build, I came up with the following.  She's only 14 right now but rounding up nicely.

Later on,

Generator

Scarlet Scimitar: Level 50 Mutation Scrapper
Secondary Power Set: Willpower
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Mental Strike -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(3), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(3), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: High Pain Tolerance -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(7), UnbGrd-Max HP%(7)
Level 2: Psi Blade -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(9), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(9), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), TchofDth-Dam%(13)
Level 4: Mind Over Body -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(15), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17), Ags-ResDam(19)
Level 6: Fly -- Flight-I(A)
Level 8: Psi Blade Sweep -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(19), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(21), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), Obl-%Dam(23)
Level 10: Indomitable Will -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25), LucoftheG-Def(25), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(27)
Level 12: Telekinetic Blow -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(27), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(31), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(31)
Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31), Rct-ResDam%(33)
Level 16: Rise to the Challenge -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(33), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(33), Prv-Heal/Rchg(34), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(34), Prv-Absorb%(34)
Level 18: Fast Healing -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Heal-I(36)
Level 20: Quick Recovery -- PrfShf-End%(A), SynSck-EndMod(36), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(36)
Level 22: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(37), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 26: Greater Psi Blade -- SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprCrtStr-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprCrtStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(40)
Level 28: Heightened Senses -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(40), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(42), RedFrt-Def(42), RedFrt-EndRdx(42), Ksm-ToHit+(43)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def(43), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(43)
Level 32: Mass Levitate -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(45), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(46)
Level 35: Concentration -- GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(A), GssSynFr--Build%(46)
Level 38: Boggle -- MlsIll-Acc/Rchg(A), MlsIll-EndRdx/Conf(48), MlsIll-Acc/EndRdx(48), MlsIll-Conf/Rng(48), MlsIll-Acc/Conf/Rchg(50)
Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-+Heal(50)
Level 47: Resurgence -- EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(A)
Level 49: Strength of Will -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(50)
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(13)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(15)
------------

• 4 weeks later

So I finally got this character up to 50 last night.  For her Alpha slot, I'm going Musculature.  What Destiny works for something like this?  My first impulse was Barrier, but I'm wondering if that might be overkill?  Love some feedback.

Nice!

My Dorian is pretty much stalled at 41 (He's one-third of a static trio, and the other players haven't been interested in playing their two in months. <_< *grumps*), so I haven't gotten a chance yet to see how the Psi/WP combo handles at 50 with a "real build".

I had intended to go Barrier with him, but more for one of his squishier teammate's sake than his own. If he were more of a solo? 'Tough call... I might still go with Barrier, honestly, just to be a little overkill if I needed it, since I don't have soft-cap-chasing plans for him either.   

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I am currently working on a Psi/WP scrapper to replace my Titan Weapons/WP scrapper, whom I don't see having much of a future. 

My main question is: is Boggle worth having?  Confuse effects seem to have very few uses, especially on team content.  Does the Insight mechanic make it more useful in any way? 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

So I've played my Psi/Shield Scrapper up to about vet level 50 or so, and while this is isn't a Willpower character, I can offer some 'insight' on psi melee. The first being that the aoe can be very lacking. I used to run a build using aid self and have since respecced out of it to include fire ball in my build which has helped immensely with the aoe output to chain with mass levitate and shield charge. Keep in mind as a /willpower scrapper you won't have shield charge either, so you will really feel that lack of aoe. 

For slotting of your attacks I strongly recommend putting both purple damage procs in Greater Psi Blade, and slotting the +50% crit proc in TK Blow. With enough global recharge you can TK Blow>GPB>TK Blow, maximizing how much you can crit with GPB, if this proc is in GPB, it cant help GPB crit. I run 120% global recharge on this shield defense scrapper, I don't know how obtainable that would be for willpower, but ideally you are running a 2 move attack chain, with the downtime after the second TK blow used for positioning/aoe/psiblades.

Boggle is absolutely worth having because coercive persuasion is a great set, although willpower benefits less from the +5% ranged defense. Often times you may not even touch the power, it is a situational utility power that also houses great passive set bonuses. Contagious confusion proc makes a huge difference in the effectiveness of this power for when you do you use it, making it able to take out several LTs. Keep in mind that with the CC proc it will cause the power to aggro meaning you can't as safely double stack it on bosses if you were interested in doing so before jumping in. For the most part the power gets the most use when exempting on lower level content/TFs rather than for lvl 50 TFs, but it isn't something I would want to respec out of. YMMV with willpower. 

EDIT: also re: late game psi resists, Psionic Melee doesn't hit a wall like other sets can find themselves hitting because the most common psi resist, robots, are typically weak to smashing attacks, which mass levitate is pure smashing damage, TK blow does some smashing damage, and Greater Psi Blade does a lovely mix of Lethal, Smashing, and Negative damage with procs. You can also Boggle problematic enemies and get them to kill each other. Or fireball them. Having Psionic damage is also fantastic for plowing through certain AV godmodes such as marauder and bobcat.

Level 50 Magic Scrapper
Secondary Power Set: Shield Defense
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Blaze Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Psi Blade -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(17)
Level 1: Deflection -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(7), UnbGrd-Max HP%(45)
Level 2: Telekinetic Blow -- SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprCrtStr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprCrtStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(7)
Level 4: Battle Agility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(39), ShlWal-Def(40), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(43)
Level 6: Concentration -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(23)
Level 10: True Grit -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(25), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(31), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(31), Prv-Heal/Rchg(34), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(39)
Level 12: Active Defense -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Super Speed -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 16: Against All Odds -- Taunt-I(A)
Level 18: Boggle -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(19), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(19), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(21), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(21), CrcPrs-Conf%(23)
Level 20: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 22: Boxing -- Stp-Acc/Rchg(A), Stp-Stun/Rng(37), Stp-Acc/EndRdx(40), Stp-EndRdx/Stun(40), Stp-Acc/Stun/Rchg(45), Stp-KB%(46)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), ImpSki-Status(39)
Level 26: Greater Psi Blade -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Hct-Acc/Rchg(27), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(29), Hct-Dam%(29), UnbCns-Dam%(31)
Level 28: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42), LucoftheG-Def(48)
Level 32: Mass Levitate -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(33), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Obl-%Dam(34)
Level 35: Shield Charge -- Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Obl-Dmg(36), Obl-Acc/Rchg(36), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(36), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Obl-%Dam(37)
Level 38: Char -- BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(A), BslGaz-Acc/Hold(43), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(48), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(50)
Level 41: Fire Blast -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg(42), Apc-Acc/Rchg(43), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48)
Level 44: Fire Ball -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Empty(45), JvlVll-Dam%(46), PstBls-Dam%(50), Acc-I(50)
Level 47: One with the Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 49: Phalanx Fighting -- Rct-ResDam%(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- HO:Micro(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(9), RgnTss-Regen+(9), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(11), NmnCnv-Heal(42)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(13), PrfShf-End%(25)
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1510;715;1430;HEX;|
|78DA65944B6F125114C7EF30832D145A4ADF0F8A401F14CAC05477269A68ADB12D0|
|9A65137563AA5B7ED249342A00B75A3553F810B5F899A685CB871ED67F0B9F1F115|
|7C554D5C191F7898FF292561C2E477E73FF7FCCFB967EE257B61C6F7F4C4F611A1B|
|41FB3CD4A25BF58289BA5922CBBB3E6BA5510B5AB85EEE15D3D9F95B6947AAE6215|
|37AD029EC2F59733724D6E56A4BEB861497B75F751F872C5A2AD2F48B3646DAE7B9|
|D87C59294AB7E67386BAD6F6CD18B209E8AE582CC17D7F2672DDB0E1E2F5905FDA8|
|6D5E92F9AC59D992E58BFD544D82EEDB6382AFAA5B3C5785303CC2F7026C7FC97C0|
|5065E33DF805E3F85294EAC4BF4288EB6AF1B9CFA853977C6780AF92BCB9AA3B94C|
|E60AA81598ABE03E09B691BF0A7F5565FFF179F84ECC818959F02EE571238F703F7|
|1395A2FB5BC05F14A0BC7F7727D3EF2F6E09DDBB3038FFE8FE0C827E66730F2051C|
|FF0AFA29B60DB1A22D221C2D46B9FC9CDF3FC47D23A143F13A5A878179F7A8CE4EE|
|E47E739D4195C622E83DDE799795E870946294717E7ED4AC24F21AD87FD7A2E636D|
|A357C1896DE615FE26D7C0D47550A5D83EEE4F5F6D10A23586C0FB54E700FB0E8C2|
|3FF609C39090E27984970E42418A0750F719D43DC778D728578AF84589B0C8069FE|
|260F28679873867FC36BFF1FE65F66158CFC630AF4BA9372463936CA7362EC11638|
|F187B8C72EC28C73EA4581C83AA3AF6CEE5AC3FF1164CBF078D0FE0239A1BC75C2D|
|6EC067720A4CA4C154064CEBE0638A49724C721ADA54952E918AA202E319BEA6310|
|8062942E7DDA44F634E076919EE6AE627B461AD7E7AE957730C6BF533594D34BDCD|
|3429469372A04939D8A42C342A876A7F6EAAC869F5932E14679627206A1D766AD9A|
|163A070F54A0AABFCBEA7B995391A4C78446B042B6B3D8C7DE83D83BDE13DC57BE6|
|34F8ADD12F0EBF1F7B9A4BB9813EFB6E82FDB7C0256F6DB7A326B361BCD230CE358|
|CE7BB288CC7FF01C977EF7B|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Edited by DreadShinobi

Currently on fire.

I eventually opted against Boggle.  I did take two Leadership toggles for confuse resistance and general team utility, so my level 49 choice was between a very situational power, and Hasten, which needs few slots and has general utility.  I chose Hasten because my perception is that the attack chain I have is rather choppy, so more recharge might help. 

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 4/21/2020 at 3:45 PM, r0y said:

Well Sunuva...  Guess it's been a while since I played my tank (he is Rad Armor/Psi Melee - and rad armor is terrible, psi melee weak, he doesn't get played much).

Guess we can add Psi Melee to the list of bad melee, just below Energy Melee (which, at least, does damage later on).

o_o;

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sovera said:

o_o;

"Terrible" might have been an over-statement.  How about "not as good as" (Bio, Dark, Invuln, SR, Energy Aura).  Rad Armor is better than Fiery Aura, Shield, Electric Armor, Ninjitsu... Stone (though Stone is way more survivable, it's annoying to play for me).

So Rad Armor is more likely in the middle of the sets.  In my view, obviously.  YMMV.

2 hours ago, r0y said:

"Terrible" might have been an over-statement.  How about "not as good as" (Bio, Dark, Invuln, SR, Energy Aura).  Rad Armor is better than Fiery Aura, Shield, Electric Armor, Ninjitsu... Stone (though Stone is way more survivable, it's annoying to play for me).

So Rad Armor is more likely in the middle of the sets.  In my view, obviously.  YMMV.

O_o;

Nah, kidding, but man, you're hard to please when the current best meta armor is something you feel as mediocre 😄 What turned you off from it?

6 hours ago, Sovera said:

Nah, kidding, but man, you're hard to please when the current best meta armor is something you feel as mediocre 😄 What turned you off from it?

Likely it was psi melee that turned me off of the set; that and it seemed the "layers" of regen/absorb were on very long recharges (Rad Therapy & Particle Shielding), Ground Zero heals allies (not a fan of this mechanic) and also a lengthy cooldown.

Resistance-based sets are best when one layers in near-soft-capped defense, as the debuffs are not a guarantee hit, as it is with resistance only.  ZERO defense in the set, so it makes power pools and slotting mandatory to achieve a modicum of defense, and even then, it's not nearly enough, so you are heavily-dependent on the other layers.  Regen and Absorb are not the best, unless you really get regen (e.g. Regen or WP) and absorb (120s) needs a shorter cooldown (e.g. Bio's @90s).

For me, it seemed I was waiting for "help" while getting pummeled.  Sure, capping S/L/Toxic is fun (toxic!), not much is doing cold (the set's "hole"), I was only able to achieve about 26-30% typed, 35% ranged defenses.  Regen was not awesome, and there was no reliable +HP (rad therapy didn't add much, it felt... like 350? can't remember...)

I mean, compared to the other resistance-based sets (apart from Stone) Rad is excellent!  Unfortunately, there are better options for tanks, and lots more for brutes/stalkers (e.g. Energy Aura).  I wish tanks got Energy Aura...

But I'll wager Psi Melee had a lot to do with it.  It is an OK set, was made tolerable when Greater Psi Blade was "broken" and spread insight strike.  They "fixed" it, and now it's a very lack-luster set, which is too bad, I love the mitigation of Mass Levitate (oh, please give that to Mind Control!  Maybe replace TK).  Then you PUNCH (tk blow, mental strike), or do you have a psi blade (sweep, psi blade) - set feels confused, thematically.  I get they wanted to avoid a pure-psi damage, so let's throw in the two most resisted things (smashing and lethal) and split the few attacks up.  Then there's Boggle.  That's only there for a set mule or (usually) avoided altogether.  What a waste of an attack!  Especially when it could have been a massive single-target PUNCH that confused the mob (instead of disorient)!  That would have been epic and funny.

I do like Rad Armor on Sentinels, however, it's one of the most survivable sets I've played.  Just wasn't thrilled with it on a tank.

1 minute ago, r0y said:

Likely it was psi melee that turned me off of the set; that and it seemed the "layers" of regen/absorb were on very long recharges (Rad Therapy & Particle Shielding), Ground Zero heals allies (not a fan of this mechanic) and also a lengthy cooldown.

Resistance-based sets are best when one layers in near-soft-capped defense, as the debuffs are not a guarantee hit, as it is with resistance only.  ZERO defense in the set, so it makes power pools and slotting mandatory to achieve a modicum of defense, and even then, it's not nearly enough, so you are heavily-dependent on the other layers.  Regen and Absorb are not the best, unless you really get regen (e.g. Regen or WP) and absorb (120s) needs a shorter cooldown (e.g. Bio's @90s).

If you don't like you don't like, nothing to be done there, but you might have used, perhaps, a wonky build. Radiation Therapy is Dark Regen's little cousin and heals for full in an AoE situation. It's up every 20 seconds or less too. With a Theft of Essence proc it doubles the native endurance gain of the skill so you can completely coast through leveling and even max level just with that one skill.  Particle Shield is icing on the cake and has double the recovery of Stamina on top of it. Beta Decay with the extra recharge it brings is really valuable too. The debuff resistances it has are phenomenal as well.

The rest of your explanation is valid though. Resist sets usually want S/L  and or melee softcaps to layer the defenses which in turn means throwing a bunch of slotting and power picks at it. I played my Tanker as a little beast with 45% melee/ranged/AoE + 90% resists and unsurprisingly with those stats it's stupidly survivable.

20 minutes ago, Sovera said:

I played my Tanker as a little beast with 45% melee/ranged/AoE + 90% resists

Do you have this build?  I'm curious how positional soft-cap was achieved via sets.  I'm guessing you went with Martial Arts (yay, Storm Kick!)

This is what I had (still have it, slots were emptied, thus it's on my "retired" page in the character selection screen):

Spoiler

https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Klunker-HC: Level 50 Natural Tanker
Primary Power Set: Radiation Armor
Secondary Power Set: Psionic Melee
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(11), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(42), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(42), UnbGrd-Max HP%(42)
Level 1: Mental Strike -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(7), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(9), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Mk'Bit-Dam%(25)
Level 2: Proton Armor -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(3), Ags-ResDam(15), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(25), Ags-Psi/Status(43)
Level 4: Telekinetic Blow -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(5), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(5), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(19), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Mk'Bit-Dam%(48)
Level 6: Fallout Shelter -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam(34), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34), ImpArm-ResPsi(43)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(34), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(48), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 10: Taunt -- PrfZng-Taunt/Rng(A), PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(11), PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg(50), PrfZng-Acc/Rchg(50)
Level 12: Radiation Therapy -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(13), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(13), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(15), DctWnd-Rchg(43)
Level 14: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 16: Psi Blade Sweep -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(17), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(17), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Obl-%Dam(40)
Level 18: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 20: Concentration -- AdjTrg-Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(21)
Level 22: Particle Shielding -- NmnCnv-Heal(A), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(23), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(23)
Level 24: Gamma Boost -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 26: Beta Decay -- CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(27), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(27), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 28: Tough -- GldArm-End/Res(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(29), GldArm-3defTpProc(29)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(31)
Level 32: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33), LucoftheG-Def(33), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(33)
Level 35: Greater Psi Blade -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(36), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Mk'Bit-Dam%(46)
Level 38: Mass Levitate -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(39), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(39), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Obl-%Dam(40)
Level 41: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Gloom -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 47: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(9)
------------

Edited by r0y

4 minutes ago, r0y said:

Do you have this build?  I'm curious how positional soft-cap was achieved via sets.  I'm guessing you went with Martial Arts (yay, Storm Kick!)

This is what I had (still have it, slots were emptied, thus it's on my "retired" page in the character selection screen):

Reveal hidden contents

https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Klunker-HC: Level 50 Natural Tanker
Primary Power Set: Radiation Armor
Secondary Power Set: Psionic Melee
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(11), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(42), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(42), UnbGrd-Max HP%(42)
Level 1: Mental Strike -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(7), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(9), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Mk'Bit-Dam%(25)
Level 2: Proton Armor -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(3), Ags-ResDam(15), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(25), Ags-Psi/Status(43)
Level 4: Telekinetic Blow -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(5), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(5), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(19), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Mk'Bit-Dam%(48)
Level 6: Fallout Shelter -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam(34), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34), ImpArm-ResPsi(43)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(34), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(48), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 10: Taunt -- PrfZng-Taunt/Rng(A), PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(11), PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg(50), PrfZng-Acc/Rchg(50)
Level 12: Radiation Therapy -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(13), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(13), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(15), DctWnd-Rchg(43)
Level 14: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 16: Psi Blade Sweep -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(17), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(17), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Obl-%Dam(40)
Level 18: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 20: Concentration -- AdjTrg-Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(21)
Level 22: Particle Shielding -- NmnCnv-Heal(A), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(23), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(23)
Level 24: Gamma Boost -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 26: Beta Decay -- CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(27), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(27), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 28: Tough -- GldArm-End/Res(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(29), GldArm-3defTpProc(29)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(31)
Level 32: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33), LucoftheG-Def(33), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(33)
Level 35: Greater Psi Blade -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(36), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Mk'Bit-Dam%(46)
Level 38: Mass Levitate -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(39), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(39), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Obl-%Dam(40)
Level 41: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Gloom -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 47: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(9)
------------

Yeah, I posted it though it didn't seem to draw much interest 😄 And as you say, complete abuse of Storm Kick. I think it dropped to the second or third page of the forums.

There's nothing glaringly wrong with the build you were using other than some minor slotting choices, I think your woes were indeed from not liking Psi Melee and not having an extra layer in softcapped melee or S/L.

I only just saw the bit about Boggle.  @Heraclea, I'm like >< that close to speccing out of it on Scarlet.  If it was longer range, or shorter animation, maybe.  But as it is the most I can say for it is that it takes the Malaise's set for decent bonuses.  Some time soon I'll respec, at which time sayonara Boggle, bonjour Laser Beam Eyes.

1 hour ago, Generator said:

I only just saw the bit about Boggle.  @Heraclea, I'm like >< that close to speccing out of it on Scarlet.  If it was longer range, or shorter animation, maybe.  But as it is the most I can say for it is that it takes the Malaise's set for decent bonuses.  Some time soon I'll respec, at which time sayonara Boggle, bonjour Laser Beam Eyes.

Yes, it is ironic, as I am boggled why they made it the way they did.  Such a missed opportunity.  Not sure if HC/SCORE can re-do it to a nice, heavy single-target attack with a confuse component.  It would be unique and fun ("man, I hit him so hard, he got all confused!"), not to mention unique proc opportunities.  It's just so bad in every way, it really drags a mediocre set down to "probably best to avoid" status.

Also, at least for tanks, they should re-break Greater Psi Blade.  The insight spread was awesome and made the whole set's mechanic useful.

I am finding Psi at least playable.  Being a rather tanky scrapper helps.  The Insight mechanic works with Critical Strikes procs to allow me to one shot all sorts of things.  The t9 AoE has a nice fast recharge and solid soft control. 

That said, I am wondering whether this character will find a niche, as the Titan/WP scrapper failed to do.  At least with only Alpha she fares poorly against Knives of Vengeance in Dark Astoria; she does a bit better against Banished Pantheon, but not by much.  I doubt she will do much Apex or incarnate trials either: still a scrapper after all. She does quite well on old school content.  Psi Melee is at least not as clunky as Titan Weapons was. 

9 hours ago, Generator said:

@Heraclea,  I largely agree with your assessment.  Only point of difference is that I found the BP to far and away be the biggest PITAs in Dark Astoria.  😁

Verbum sapienti - make a targeting macro, go after anything that says 'Sorrow'.  Take care of that first and it gets easier.