Well, um, wow.

Bill Z Bubba

Back before the snap, I had a grav/nrg dom. She was fun but I'm not even sure I ever got her to 50. She's been recreated and still not 50.

But then I did a 100% ranged earth/fire dom. She's 50, she's fun but she's in dire need of a proper respec. And while she is effective, there was still something just not quite right.

Now, I have an a 100% melee earth/earth dominator and holy hells below, I love this combo. The sounds, the visceral smashing, the pure unbridled melee domination of large spawns. And she's only 37. I can only imagine the freakishly raging beast of destruction that she's going to be at 50 and properly built.

So ok... add me to the dominator love crowd. I'm gonna be playin this gal a LOT.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Fact, I saw the title and assumed it was about an Earth/earth dom.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I have to agree here. Rolled an Earth/Earth/Ice and let the carnage begin. Doms are quickly becoming my favorite AT. Have a couple others that I really enjoy but decided I wanted to try Earth. Toiled with the secondary for a while but settled on earth and have zero regrets. I may have taken a somewhat unconventional approach, as I skipped quite a few from the primary but it’s fun. Not sure though, maybe that’s how Earth/Earth is usually built. 

Was able to get all the recharge I needed for perma Dom and soft cap S&L but I’d love to see some other build examples if anyone would like to share. She’s a bit squishy because resistances are pretty bad and if anything gets past the limited defense and no real heal (other than an unslotted hoarfrost), it hurts. Mostly just see issues when soloing 4x8 and my AoE holds misses too many mobs. Really struggling with trying to pack in recharge/def/res into the build. 

Also have a question about Mud Pots. I took it in my last respec and slotted with procs but I’m just not sure they’re hitting enough to make it worth while as it eats end like a kid with candy and is using quite a few of my precious slots. I slotted the -res from FotG but I’ve not seen it come up in the combat tab, does it not show when it hits? 

Lastly, does anyone have an opinion with Sleet vs Ice Storm? Which is worth firing and slotting? My open when solo is typically Stalagmites->Earthquake->Ice Storm->jump in and pound on things. i tried Stalagmites->Earthquake->Ice Storm->Sleet->jump in and pound but it’s too time consuming and also chews through a huge part of the end bar leaving too little for the pounding. Admittedly, this is my first time using the ice epic (except for the shield on a blaster or two) so I don’t know much about either Ice Storm or Sleet. 

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions. 

Stalagmites... what an incredible alpha strike power. Wherever my final build ends up, getting as much recharge as possible for that one power is my main goal. I went with primal forces for conserve power and temp invulnerability so unsure on your ice questions. As for mud pots, currently on the fence with it. I suspect that I'll keep it in the end cuz moar damuge.

Here's my Earth/Earth build:

Spoiler

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

tel: Level 50 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Earth Control
Secondary Power Set: Earth Assault
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Fossilize

• (A) Superior Ascendency of the Dominator - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized
  • (3) Superior Ascendency of the Dominator - Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Recharge
  • (5) Superior Ascendency of the Dominator - Endurance/Recharge
  • (7) Superior Ascendency of the Dominator - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance
  • (9) Superior Ascendency of the Dominator - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance/Recharge
  • (11) Superior Ascendency of the Dominator - Recharge/Chance for +Damage

Level 1: Stone Spears

• (A) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage
  • (3) Superior Winter's Bite - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (5) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (7) Superior Winter's Bite - Recharge/Chance for -Speed & -Recharge
  • (9) Superior Winter's Bite - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime
  • (11) Superior Winter's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

Level 2: Stone Cages

• (A) Superior Dominating Grasp - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilized/Sleep/Stunned/Terrorized
  • (13) Superior Dominating Grasp - Confused/Hold/Immobilized/Sleep/Stunned/Terrorized/RechargeTime
  • (13) Superior Dominating Grasp - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (15) Superior Dominating Grasp - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilized/Sleep/Stunned/Terrorized/Endurance
  • (15) Superior Dominating Grasp - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilized/Sleep/Stunned/Terrorized/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (17) Superior Dominating Grasp - RechargeTime/Fiery Orb

Level 4: Stone Mallet

• (A) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage
  • (31) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance
  • (34) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (34) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (34) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime
  • (36) Superior Blistering Cold - Recharge/Chance for Hold

Level 6: Combat Jumping

• (A) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
  • (17) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage
  • (19) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed

Level 8: Tremor

• (A) Obliteration - Damage
  • (43) Obliteration - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (43) Obliteration - Damage/Recharge
  • (43) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (45) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (45) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage

Level 10: Boxing

• (A) HamiO:Nucleolus Exposure

Level 12: Stalagmites

• (A) Superior Frozen Blast - Accuracy/Damage
  • (21) Superior Frozen Blast - Recharge/Chance for Immobilize
  • (36) Superior Frozen Blast - Damage/Endurance
  • (36) Superior Frozen Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (37) Superior Frozen Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (37) Superior Frozen Blast - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime

Level 14: Spirit Ward

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 16: Tough

• (A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (19) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (23) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (25) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP
  • (25) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (27) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance

Level 18: Super Speed

• (A) Celerity - +Stealth

Level 20: Heavy Mallet

• (A) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Damage
  • (39) Mako's Bite - Damage/Endurance
  • (39) Mako's Bite - Damage/Recharge
  • (39) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • (40) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 22: Arcane Bolt

• (A) HamiO:Nucleolus Exposure

Level 24: Rune of Protection

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (29) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (29) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance
  • (31) Unbreakable Guard - Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 26: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (27) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 28: Volcanic Gasses

• (A) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge
  • (37) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (40) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (40) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance
  • (42) Ragnarok - Chance for Knockdown

Level 30: Seismic Smash

• (A) Hecatomb - Damage/Recharge
  • (31) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (48) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (48) Hecatomb - Damage/Endurance
  • (50) Hecatomb - Chance of Damage(Negative)

Level 32: Animate Stone

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (33) Expedient Reinforcement - Damage/Endurance
  • (33) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (33) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge

Level 35: Mud Pots

• (A) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage
  • (45) Superior Avalanche - Damage/Endurance
  • (46) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (46) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (48) Superior Avalanche - Recharge/Chance for Knockdown

Level 38: Fissure

• (A) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff
  • (42) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

Level 41: Weave

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (42) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance

Level 44: Scorpion Shield

• (50) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (50) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 47: Power Up

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 49: Personal Force Field

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Domination

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

• (A) Empty
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Sprint
  • (A) Empty
Level 2: Rest
  • (A) Empty
Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift

Edited by Bionic_Flea

8 hours ago, Nferno said:

Lastly, does anyone have an opinion with Sleet vs Ice Storm? Which is worth firing and slotting?

On teams? Sleet, hands down. Its a big (not huge cos you're a domi) resist debuff on everything inside for 30 seconds for your whole team. And the debuff lasts for 30 seconds even if something escapes it or it expires. And itll stack if your recharge is high enough, making it useful in prolonged AV fights.

For slotting Sleet doesnt need much. 1-2 recharge IOs 50+5s if you really want to milk it) and job done.

And if you're playing a proc heavy domi Sleet will make all those damage procs hit harder.

Ice Storm is fine but Sleet is a power magnifier for the whole team. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nferno said:

Also have a question about Mud Pots. I took it in my last respec and slotted with procs but I’m just not sure they’re hitting enough to make it worth while

I missed this. Procs are crap in toggles, rains and patches. In some patches where you aim at someone they can be okayish but in toggles and most placeables (with some exceptions like Carrion Creepers) procs wont fire often enough to be worth it. 

So for mud pots, damage, end and acc and leave it there if you do take it.

• Like 1

I had an Earth/earth on live, only got into the 30s and either before IOs or with only basics. He was a blast, and I loved the UMPH. I keep thinking I might have to redo him!

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

5 hours ago, Carnifax said:

I missed this. Procs are crap in toggles, rains and patches. In some patches where you aim at someone they can be okayish but in toggles and most placeables (with some exceptions like Carrion Creepers) procs wont fire often enough to be worth it. 

So for mud pots, damage, end and acc and leave it there if you do take it.

Did some “testing” today. The rains, definitely didn’t proc enough to bother with, so I agree 100% on that. 
I currently have mud pots 6 slotted with an Acc IO, end IO, FotG -res, and three other damage procs (can’t recall which ones). I use my Unai close the ruptures Council mish for solo testing and got ok results. Soloing that mission at 4x8 the procs seemed to help A tiny bit because the battles at least long enough to see some procs hit but on teams, they’re pointless. Might get a hit or two once in a great while when teaming but everything falls too fast to even make mud pots worth it, let alone the procs. Not committing to moving those slots off (yet) but will probably respec tomorrow and change things up just to compare. 
Once I get my build where I’m happy, I’ll drop it in here in case anyone has further tweaks. 

On a side note, Creepers are insane, such a cool and bizarre power. I find myself often laughing when they fire off while playing my plant Dom. They’re so random with timing, kind of like a jack in the box 😂

On 4/21/2020 at 7:16 AM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Back before the snap, I had a grav/nrg dom. She was fun but I'm not even sure I ever got her to 50. She's been recreated and still not 50.

But then I did a 100% ranged earth/fire dom. She's 50, she's fun but she's in dire need of a proper respec. And while she is effective, there was still something just not quite right.

Now, I have an a 100% melee earth/earth dominator and holy hells below, I love this combo. The sounds, the visceral smashing, the pure unbridled melee domination of large spawns. And she's only 37. I can only imagine the freakishly raging beast of destruction that she's going to be at 50 and properly built.

So ok... add me to the dominator love crowd. I'm gonna be playin this gal a LOT.

Think earth/earth is great you should have tried a Plant/Earth.  I also just got a fire/dark to 50 and perma'd this week, that is an extremely good combo also.

• Like 1

I've never tried Earth Assault because stylistically I'm not a fan of the Mallets (or any other summoned "weapons") (though I'm sure, for Earth, the mallets hit like a freight train....).

But I do have a Plant/Psi dom who spends 100% of her time in melee and she actually surpassed my old mains (both of them) as most fun character to play. 

Just something about moving from spawn to spawn, holding them all hopeless and helpless yourself and wrecking face among them. 

• Like 1

Almost every time I try to make a Blaster I end up rerolling as a Dominator. ...Thing is, I consider Blaster to be head and shoulders a better AT than Dominator... They just aren't as much fun. They have half the problems that Dominators do, and about a third of the dimensionality. The biggest problem Dominator has is also the biggest draw to actually playing the AT: Control primaries mixed with Assault secondaries makes for a buffet of toys to play around with. The AT is scatterbrained, and its inherent lopsided (unless you perma it), but that's what makes it fun.

Edited by XaoGarrent
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 4/21/2020 at 3:16 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

I had a L50 Rock/Rock Domi on live.

Melee heaven.  Absolute control.

Love that hammer...  (Council mob goes flying off screen.  Right after you 'choke' him on volcanic gas.)

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

This is my build for a Electric/Savage build that I am in love with.  Very visceral and no endurance problems whatsoever.  It is a bit low on recharge, but the FF+Rech really pull their weight.  Also, the proc in Feral Charge is just another layer of control on an ability that I slam in combat.

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Dominator
Primary Power Set: Electric Control
Secondary Power Set: Savage Assault
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Tesla Cage -- GldJvl-Dam%(A), NrnSht-Dam%(3), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(3), UnbCns-Dam%(5), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(5), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(7)
Level 1: Call Swarm -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A)
Level 2: Chain Fences -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(7), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(9), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 4: Vicious Slash -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(13), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(15), Hct-Dam%(17), TchofDth-Dam%(17)
Level 6: Jolting Chain -- GldJvl-Acc/Dmg(A), GldJvl-Dam%(19), ExpStr-Dam%(19), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(21), FrcFdb-Rechg%(21), Apc-Dam%(23)
Level 8: Conductive Aura -- PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(A)
Level 10: Unkindness -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(25), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), Rgn-Dmg(27), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(27)
Level 12: Static Field -- SprDmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 16: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(23), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(29), Rct-ResDam%(29), Ksm-ToHit+(40)
Level 18: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 20: Rending Flurry -- FuroftheG-Acc/Dmg(A), Erd-%Dam(31), ScrDrv-Dam%(31), Obl-%Dam(33), Arm-Dam%(33), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(33)
Level 22: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34), GldArm-3defTpProc(34)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-Def(36)
Level 26: Synaptic Overload -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(37), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(37), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(37), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(39), CrcPrs-Conf%(39)
Level 28: Spot Prey -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(40), LucoftheG-Def(42)
Level 32: Gremlins -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(40), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(42), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(42), SlbAll-Build%(43)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(43), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(43), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(45), RedFrt-Def(45), RedFrt-EndRdx(45)
Level 38: Feral Charge -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(46), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%(48)
Level 41: Call Hawk -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(48), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(50), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(50)
Level 44: Blood Craze -- Pnc-Heal/Rchg(A)
Level 47: Personal Force Field -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Poisonous Ray -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11), Pnc-Heal/+End(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 0: Invader
Level 0: High Pain Threshold
Level 0: Born In Battle
Level 0: Marshal
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon
Level 50: Mighty Radial Final Judgement
Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface
Level 50: Knives of Vengeance Radial Superior Ally
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment
Level 1: Blood Frenzy
------------

I'm not interested in earth/earth doms in the least and never will be, nor do I like earth control.

All I want is for the other dom sets to not be awful to play.

Doms get less HP than blasters they die when looked at, and they really kind of suck until incarnate level if not using the build the OP is.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, ZeeHero said:

I'm not interested in earth/earth doms in the least and never will be, nor do I like earth control.

Doms get less HP than blasters they die when looked at, and they really kind of suck until incarnate level if not using the build the OP is.

My fastest leveler solo, and most fun to level, was a Plant/Savage. Plant is also a great set.

Dark Control is IMO clearly better than Earth, and Electric is comparable to it.

Earth Assault is probably the best secondary, though Energy, Savage, and Martial all have a reasonable argument about why they're good. Fire also, with some strong and ranged primaries.

Earth/Earth is a good combination of two good sets, but other than the fun smashyness of Earth and Earth, I don't see it as being on a pinnacle looking down at the others.

Try Plant/Nrg or Plant/Savage, Electric/Earth or Martial, Dark/any of the above, and they will also do very well and should be a lot of fun to play.

Electric and Dark, especially, do quite well prior to Incarnate levels. Oh, and as a note... the Plant/Savage Dom, who is amazing at ripping through missions (and was through the leveling process) has soloed most of the AVs I met and the Kronos Titan, which are clearly its weakest point. Some of them before perma-Dom. So I can't see Dominators as being sucky before Incarnate levels... going to perma-Dom was a much bigger effect than getting Incarnate slots, but even then, before perma-Dom all of my Doms have felt as one of the stronger ATs.

20 hours ago, ZeeHero said:

Back when I was inexperienced I also thought dom's were awful. They are not for inexperienced players. I'm sorry you are incapable of playing them well enough to have fun.

• Thanks 2

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!