Melee Set - Spines

First off, I checked the pvp build spreadsheet (always helpful!) and didn't see any builds that included Spines that weren't intended for farming. That being said, Spines has two ranged attacks (albeit short ranged), that are rather proc'able (four procs for both Impale and Throw Spines). Hearkening back to the times when I played a Spines/Regen Scrapper in PvP - can anyone see utility in the set for arena, specifically in helping spike targets or disruption? I think off hand that the damage potential from these two attacks are incredibly low and wouldn't add much to a spike (darn you damage creep!), but the mag 3 -immob from Impale and taunt could arguably work for disruption.

Assuming the answer is yes, would it be fair to look to Invuln or Bio to be the most appropriate secondary for their high survivability?

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

21 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

First off, I checked the pvp build spreadsheet (always helpful!) and didn't see any builds that included Spines that weren't intended for farming. That being said, Spines has two ranged attacks (albeit short ranged), that are rather proc'able (four procs for both Impale and Throw Spines). Hearkening back to the times when I played a Spines/Regen Scrapper in PvP - can anyone see utility in the set for arena, specifically in helping spike targets or disruption? I think off hand that the damage potential from these two attacks are incredibly low and wouldn't add much to a spike (darn you damage creep!), but the mag 3 -immob from Impale and taunt could arguably work for disruption.

Assuming the answer is yes, would it be fair to look to Invuln or Bio to be the most appropriate secondary for their high survivability?

Impale's animation is bad and its range is too low to be useful and Throw Spines' proc rate is not good because it's an AoE. Basically if you're running a melee on an 8v8 team it's either a Stalker for burst damage or a Brute/Tanker for disruption. There's not much reason to run any melee set besides SS.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

1 hour ago, macskull said:

Impale's animation is bad and its range is too low to be useful and Throw Spines' proc rate is not good because it's an AoE. Basically if you're running a melee on an 8v8 team it's either a Stalker for burst damage or a Brute/Tanker for disruption. There's not much reason to run any melee set besides SS.

Darn! I appreciate the insight.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png