Shield defense suggestion

MashaTX

I remember now why I never had a shield defense tank/brute.   The active defense is not a toggle, so you have to either auto it or hasten and either way it becomes a hassle.  Is there anyway the active defense could be coded in as a toggle?  That would be awesome!!

Thanks,

MashaTX

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MashaTX said:

I remember now why I never had a shield defense tank/brute.   The active defense is not a toggle, so you have to either auto it or hasten and either way it becomes a hassle.  Is there anyway the active defense could be coded in as a toggle?  That would be awesome!!

Thanks,

MashaTX

Great Idea, that would be awesome.

No thanks, I like being able to stack AD for more DDR.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

^^^ unless its DDR got raised accordingly it's better off not as a toggle. You can either keep it auto and try to remember hasten or set up binds to change the auto power as you move or attack. I have mine set up as /bind 1 "$$powexec_slot 1$$powexecauto active defense" /bind 2 "$$powexec_slot 2$$powexecauto hasten" and it works out well. Of course if you're a tray clicker you should bind to your movement keys.

Bigger question is can we make more than 1 power autocast without weird and eccentric binds? Dominators everywhere would thank you!

• Like 2

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

3 hours ago, MashaTX said:

Is there anyway the active defense could be coded in as a toggle?

This gets brought up quite often. There are a couple of benefits to clicky protection: they can be stacked and toggles can be dropped by end drain etc. It's a no from me.

3 hours ago, DSorrow said:

No thanks, I like being able to stack AD for more DDR.

This.

3 hours ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

^^^ unless its DDR got raised accordingly it's better off not as a toggle. You can either keep it auto and try to remember hasten or set up binds to change the auto power as you move or attack. I have mine set up as /bind 1 "$$powexec_slot 1$$powexecauto active defense" /bind 2 "$$powexec_slot 2$$powexecauto hasten" and it works out well. Of course if you're a tray clicker you should bind to your movement keys.

And this.

Also remember hasten is neither mandatory nor is it mandatory to put it on auto if you do take it. On my shield users I usually have active defences on auto and click hasten. Active defence comes around much more often and is more important to cycle quickly so that is the auto fire priority.

1 hour ago, Peacemoon said:

Bigger question is can we make more than 1 power autocast without weird and eccentric binds? Dominators everywhere would thank you!

They would but so would every afk farmer and for that reason alone I very much doubt this will ever happen.

• Like 3

I would personally put Active Defense on auto..

If it expires, and you forget to click it.. You may very well end up eating pavement..

Whereas if you forget to re-activate Hasten, you'll just feel a bit sluggish until you realize it needs to be activated!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MashaTX said:

So you're asking for a nerf for a set you've never played. Yeah, no.

13 hours ago, MashaTX said:

Thanks,

MashaTX

No,,heck no no.  lol. The click doesn't drop and it stacks.

A toggle can drop.

Practiced brawler is worse to me, as it doesn't have any worthwhile extra effects for it to stack.  At least shield has the extra DDR and Ninja has the extra stacking psi resistance.  On my SR I was actually wishing I could slot negative recharge into my practiced brawler so I could get it to go off only once every 2 mins.  Thanks to global recharge even with no recharge slotted it was still auto firing way before the 2 mins was up.  Stacking practiced brawler is generally just a waste of animation time and lowers your dps.

34 minutes ago, Riverdusk said:

Practiced brawler is worse to me, as it doesn't have any worthwhile extra effects for it to stack.  At least shield has the extra DDR and Ninja has the extra stacking psi resistance.  On my SR I was actually wishing I could slot negative recharge into my practiced brawler so I could get it to go off only once every 2 mins.  Thanks to global recharge even with no recharge slotted it was still auto firing way before the 2 mins was up.  Stacking practiced brawler is generally just a waste of animation time and lowers your dps.

I think PB should be replaced with Master Brawler...

My first toon was Katana/SR scrapper and I learned to love Practice Brawler. So when Shield Defense was first released and its status immunity was a click, I breathed a sigh of relief. Just be on your toes and be thankful you don't have another toggle sucking up endurance on a new toon.

• 1 month later

Thank you to the people who responded with some positive input to my post about active defense.  With the respectful explanations, I see it is best to not have it as a toggle.  To you smart asses who suggested I asked for a  nerf...thank you for nothing.

On 4/28/2020 at 8:24 AM, Primantis said:

I would personally put Active Defense on auto..

If it expires, and you forget to click it.. You may very well end up eating pavement..

Whereas if you forget to re-activate Hasten, you'll just feel a bit sluggish until you realize it needs to be activated!

Blast from the past here but... you can activate AD while you're mezzed and since toggle dropping hasn't been a thing since Issue 13 you're probably going to be fine.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube