Install and Troubleshooting Guide v2

Silk

Hi, so i had the openGL problem when starting up the game and used the shim to fix it, and it worked, but now once i get past the loading bar and enter the first image i get a black screen and then the game closes, no crash or error message the game simply closes, what should i do?

Having problems with the new Island Rum on my Mac.

There was an update to Island Rum and after downloading the update, Island Rum can't start the game anymore. The main Island Rum screen opens, does the scan and then if I try to launch Homecoming, Island Rum quits.  If I try to Launch Homecoming 64-bit, I get a message saying the launcher may not work properly, Launch Anyway/Cancel.  If I hit Launch Anyway, Island Rum quits.

If I rescan, it gets through all the files without comment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lucky666 said:

"The code connection can not proceed because MSVCP140.dlll was not found. Reinstalling may fix this issue."

I can run 32 and safe mode but not 64. What does this mean, how do I fix it? I tried reinstalling but it didn't help.

I believe that means you need to manually download a certain version of the .Net framework. I think it's posted in the first page, but I Know a GM has pointed this out before.

• Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 8/31/2019 at 6:44 PM, WanderingAries said:

I believe that means you need to manually download a certain version of the .Net framework. I think it's posted in the first page, but I Know a GM has pointed this out before.

My video card drivers were actually hilariously out of date. Like 2017 out of date. Downloading the newest one for nvidea solved it.

• 2 weeks later

I'm experiencing the OpenGL bug. I followed the instructions here, but it's still not working. I'm running Windows 10, version 1809. Any help would be appreciated.
EDIT: Figured it out. My graphics card wasn't running properly. Had to download a brand new driver, as in released-today new.

Edited by Cliff_Snowpeak

On 9/15/2019 at 11:59 AM, deathimpaler said:

i cant launch the game it gives me the loading screen after i press play for tequila but nothing happens.

I am having the same issue with Island Rum. I press play and it says "Launching Homecoming" with a green check mark next to the loading bar. Then nothing happens and it says it's ready to launch again.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:59 PM, Potassium said:

Hi, so i had the openGL problem when starting up the game and used the shim to fix it, and it worked, but now once i get past the loading bar and enter the first image i get a black screen and then the game closes, no crash or error message the game simply closes, what should i do?

I'm having this exact issue. The driver shim fix allows me to run homecoming.exe and get passed the loading bar to a City of Heroes splash screen and then goes black and crashes to desktop w/no error. Windows 10 running Intel HD Graphics 3000 with latest drivers (5/19/16). Any ideas?

I've just come up with a new problem. This morning, I launched City of Heroes without a problem, but later closed out of both the game client and Tequila, then when I came back later and opened Tequila, it crashed out on me. The window opens, displays "Fetching Manifest", then "Validating", then crashes out with a Windows popup "Tequila.exe has stopped working". The Tequila activity log stops at going out to the patchserver:

[9/22/2019 7:16:04 PM]    Loading application.
[9/22/2019 7:16:04 PM]    Load application complete.
[9/22/2019 7:16:06 PM]    Started patching
[9/22/2019 7:16:06 PM]    Attempting to download Manifest file "http://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml"
[9/22/2019 7:16:06 PM]    Manifest downloaded successfully, starting to process it.
[9/22/2019 7:16:06 PM]    Starting self-patch process.
[9/22/2019 7:16:06 PM]    Self patching process complete.
[9/22/2019 7:16:07 PM]    Loading Web Browser URL to: "https://patch.savecoh.com/homecoming.html"

Downloading a fresh copy of Tequila.exe does not solve the problem. I have verified that my firewall is configured to allow Tequila.exe to connect to the Net, and the manifest download from the log shows that it's not failing because it can't connect. My antivirus is not triggering on Tequila.exe, and if I use the launch information from the Tequila.xml file to launch the client directly, I can connect to the game.

Update: Taking the brute-force solution of renaming my install directory to keep it as a backup (more for the costumes, power customizations, and the mods than anything else) and running Tequila to download a fresh set of files appears to have addressed the problem.

Edited by srmalloy

• 4 weeks later
On 4/26/2019 at 8:12 PM, Silk said:

Updated to v3.

# How to fix City of Heroes issues with OpenGL on Intel video cards (GPUs)

Please note this procedure has been updated as of 16 May 2019 to reflect the change in Homecoming's file name. Further updates have been made to update more GPUs.

This process was created by the SCOTS team in order to allows you to create what is known as a driver shim. This is basically a way to force the Intel driver (which is the root of this issue, not City of Heroes at all) to work in compatibility mode for an older version of Windows. Usually this sort of thing is handled by the folks who made the driver or by a game's developers. Since we lack the latter here & Intel doesn't seem to care about OpenGL support, we're forced to do this ourselves instead. It may be worth attempting to run CoX in compatibility mode (Win7/8/8.1) first. That's not a universal solution but some report it does the trick and is much simpler. Ask how in one of the support channels on the Discords if you're unsure!

Please note as well this will not likely improve performance for folks who can already get into the game. This is generally intended for allowing those with the affected GPUs to launch the game at all or who experience crashes almost immediately to play. This is somewhat of a work in progress as to specific GPUs and such. Please bear with us. If you have feedback for this process, please be sure to let me (Nilt) or another SCOTS volunteer know.

List of Intel GPUs confirmed to operate well with this process:

Intel HD 3000

Intel HD 620

Intel HD 630

Please let a member of SCOTS know if more GPUs are confirmed to work with this.  I will be happy to update this as we go.

Anything I ask you to type will be enclosed in "quotes".  DO NOT include the quotes, they're just to make clear what you need to type.  Any bold text below is either a button label that you need to click or the name of the window or list where we are.

### Let's figure out which version of Windows 10 you're on:

1. Right click the Start menu in the lower left of your screen and choose System.

2. Scroll down to Windows specifications and look for the Version.  It should be 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809, or 1903.

3. Go to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install & download the Windows ADK for your version of Windows.

### Now to install the program:

1. Run ADKsetup.exe when it is downloaded.

2. Leave the top option selected & click Next.

3. Choose whether to send Microsoft some usage data & click Next.

4. Click Accept after reading the agreement (ha!).

5. Uncheck everything in the list of features & click to check Application Compatibility Toolkit.

6. Click Install & choose Yes when asked if you wish to allow it to make changes to your computer.

7. Click Close and restart the computer if prompted.

### Now we need to run the "Compatibility Administrator(32 bit)" program:

1. Click your Start Menu (usually in the lower left of the screen).

2. The application should be at the top.  If not, start typing the name above though there's no obvious box to type in.

3. Click it when it shows up.

4. Click Yes again to allow it to make changes to your computer (it needs to be run as an administrator).

5. Select New Database(1) [untitled_1] under Custom Databases from the list on the left.

6. If Custom Databases is not present, click the New button above.  Otherwise, skip to the next step.

7. Click the Fix above.

### Now we're in the "Create new Application Fix" window:

1. Type "City of Heroes" in the first box.

2. Type anything you wish in the middle Name of the vendor for this program box.

3. Click the Browse button & locate the game's folder.

* If you do not know where your folder is, ask whoever you got these steps from or seek assistance in the Discord's tech help channel.

4. Click one time to select homecoming.exe then click the Open button.

* This may only say homecoming depending on your system's settings.  If so, select the one with the City of Heroes icon, not a folder icon.

5. Click the Next button to proceed.

6. Click Next to skip the Compatibility Mode options.

7. Scroll down the Compatibility Fixes list to Win81RTMVersionLie & click the box to the left of it.

- You may press the W key on your keyboard to jump most of the way but don't check any other boxes accidentally if you do so.

8. Click the Parameters button above the list.

### Now we are in the "Options for Win81RTMVersionLie" window:

1. Leave the Command line box completely blank.

2. Type "ig4icd32.dll" in the Module Name box.

3. Click the Add button to the right then click the OK button below.

4. This brings you to the Create new Application fix window.  Click the Next button.

### We're now in the "Matching Information" list:

1. Click the Unselect All button to the bottom of the left.

2. Click the checkbox for ORIGINAL_FILENAME=CityOfHeroes.exe.

3. Click the checkbox for INTERNAL_NAME=CityOfHeroes.

4. Click the Finish button below.

### We're now back in the main view of the Compatibility Administrator:

1. Click the Save button at the top of the window.

2. Type "CoH OpenGL" in the Database Name box then click the OK button.

3. A new Save Database window opens.  Type "CoHOpenGLShim" in the File name box at the bottom.

4. Click the Save button to the bottom near the right side.

5. Note: Stay in the same program for this step. Right click CoH OpenGL [C:\Games\City of Heroes\CoHOpenGLShim.sdb] and choose Install.

* Note that the C:\Games\City of Heroes part varies.  Your path, if different, will show there instead.  Also, the part in brackets is often cut off depending on the size of the window.

6. Click OK to the prompt when it's installed.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:12 PM, Silk said:

Try running the game.  Hopefully it'll work but if not, please be certain to let someone in the Discord tech assistance channels know!

You may have a slightly different Intel driver file or something which we can help you identify.

Inspired by videos at https://pal1000.github.io/shared/tutorials/legacy-igpu-ogl-fix-win10.mov and the same video on YouTube.  We're uncertain which is the original source.

https://pastebin.com/shHxr7hV

After a Major Computer crash where I lost my User Files and Had to reinstall CoH and have followed the guide and even added shims for HC-Bin32 & HC-Bin64 folders & Programs but game still will not run.

All I'm getting is a "Failed to Create OpenGL Rendering Context" notification even on Safe mode.

I'm using a Hp Pavilion dv7 with:

Intel(R) i5-2450 CPU @ 2.50GHz

4.00 GB of ram

Windows 10 home ver.1903

Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 GPU

Any suggestions would be helpful

I Have Uninstalled Windows 10, reformated my Hard drive  and reinstalled Windows 10 and updated my all of my drivers and all of my other programs. and I still cant get City of Heroes to run with out the "Failed to Create OpenGL Rendering Context" Message

Edited by CyberElf
New Info

• 4 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later
On 10/26/2019 at 10:16 PM, CyberElf said:

After a Major Computer crash where I lost my User Files and Had to reinstall CoH and have followed the guide and even added shims for HC-Bin32 & HC-Bin64 folders & Programs but game still will not run.

All I'm getting is a "Failed to Create OpenGL Rendering Context" notification even on Safe mode.

I'm using a Hp Pavilion dv7 with:

Intel(R) i5-2450 CPU @ 2.50GHz

4.00 GB of ram

Windows 10 home ver.1903

Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 GPU

Any suggestions would be helpful

I Have Uninstalled Windows 10, reformated my Hard drive  and reinstalled Windows 10 and updated my all of my drivers and all of my other programs. and I still cant get City of Heroes to run with out the "Failed to Create OpenGL Rendering Context" Message

same issue. shim no longer working for intel hd 3000 it seems. tried using ig4icd64.dll as well as ig4icd32.dll.

win10 64 bit 1903

driver version 9.17.10 5459

i may try running a linux vm to see if that gets me any luck

Edited by snackmansolid

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, snackmansolid said:

same issue. shim no longer working for intel hd 3000 it seems. tried using ig4icd64.dll as well as ig4icd32.dll.

win10 64 bit 1903

driver version 9.17.10 5459

i may try running a linux vm to see if that gets me any luck

You guys are making me not want to do this Win10 upgrade...

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 2 weeks later

So my brother had to reformat his gaming laptop and when he got back to getting COH going again he downloaded everything like we did before but when he runs it hes getting the following errors:

"Code Execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.DLL was not found".

"VCRUNTIME140.DLL is not found. Reinstalling may fix this issue."

However we did that 3 times and its still happening.

• Like 1

i’m running into the same issues as the poster above me! 32bit and safe mode run great.

the errors are: 

“the code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.”

“the code execution cannot proceed because VCRUNTIME140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.”

Edited by Tryna_Dugid
  • Like 1