Install and Troubleshooting Guide v2

Silk

Hey everyone, sorry about that!

The issue should be resolved now.

We recommend sticking to what the launcher downloads rather than anything that anyone other than an official member of the team posts. If you download something that we didn't officially support then we cannot guarantee that it is safe.

Thanks.

Cipher I originally got the files from last weekends Bree server. They also worked when this server reopened after Yuki or w/e panicked.

I guarantee there is nothing other than what you guys put in it originally, please feel free the download or have someone you trust download and check the files.

Also the files from that google drive I do believe are from my torrent, just someone from discord also uploaded there I think since my upload isn't really on par with my download speeds.

Also may I suggest you guys make this whole process easier as people seem to be having lots of problems this time around compared to last weekend guide I wrote up.

Tequila really sucks at downloading so why do you guy not make two or three magnet torrents With both the i24/i25 files AND Tequila in a City of Heroes folder so people can download that the first time around. Do likewise for Mac users with Island Rum.

This way Tequila or Island Rum would only have to do smaller downloads when you update something.

Hello! Downloaded the torrent, Ran tequila (its in the same folder as COH) made sure the XML and txt documents weren't on read only mode, and ran tequila as Admin and still getting this error?

Download error: score/object_library.pigg

It then lists all of the files, they all start with score/etc.pigg

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I had the same error. I had to right click the coh folder and turn 'Read Only' to OFF, then run tequila as administrator. Hope this helps. Try re-verifying if those steps don't work, Options in tequila.

If you get any errors check that read only option again, mine got turned on again after a patch.

Hello! Downloaded the torrent, Ran tequila (its in the same folder as COH) made sure the XML and txt documents weren't on read only mode, and ran tequila as Admin and still getting this error?

Download error: score/object_library.pigg

It then lists all of the files, they all start with score/etc.pigg

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I had the same error. I had to right click the coh folder and turn 'Read Only' to OFF, then run tequila as administrator. Hope this helps. Try re-verifying if those steps don't work, Options in tequila.

If you get any errors check that read only option again, mine got turned on again after a patch.

Tequile was having an issue downloading the score files earlier but it should be fixed now.  Try revalidating via options and don't forget the city of heroes folder needs to have both read and write permission.

The launcher (Tequila) needs to be able to write to the folder so it can update.

I'm quite stupid when it comes to the inner workings of downloading anything in such a manner as this. Is there anyway someone could give me a download "new" COH for dummies run down? lol, I know it's probably quite simple for most, but it's really not for me but I love the game and dying to play.

It turns out that the torrent doesn't come with all needed files. If you want I can prepare a new one with all necessary files to run the game.

The magnet link near the bottom of page one (as of last night) had everything you need. It contained all the files. There might be a small update but very small this morning as they have been something to the servers and mine just downloaded/revalidated.  The torrent from the OP has only the game files so you then have to download the Tequila launcher or the Island Rum launcher depending on if you have windows or MacOS.

People on Discord have used it quite successfully and I have helped quite few people that needed help yesterday. Be aware the magnet link near the bottom of page one is for  windows OS and not MacOS as I stated.

The one in the OP didn't contain the score directory.

Yes because the torrent in the OP is the game files only, They are also referred to as i24 or i25 or issue 24 or issue 25.  The "score" files are part of the launcher. There are two launchers Tequila for windows and Island Rum for Mac OS

This is stated in step one.

People with windows 10 in discord are having all kinds of permission problems.  You have to make sure you download all the files somewhere that has both READ and WRITE permission.

If you stick these files somewhere that is read only it will not work. The launcher has to be able to overwrite the files to be able to update them.

I made this for those not understanding which should help:

1~ make a folder on your c drive called "Games" (go into the c: drive, right click an empty space and choose new then folder)

Important: Put the Games folder you just created into your antivirus exception list.

2~ download this:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:FD5ADD155E5FD01D6013B026A8766E56C2841E3D&dn=City%20of%20Heroes

This contains both the game files and the Tequila launcher for windows.

3~ Once the torrent is done downloading move the "City of Heroes" folder (that you just downloaded from the torrent) to the Games folder you created in step 1

4~ In the city of heroes folder find the Tequila.exe right click, choose properties go to compatibility tab and make sure "run as admin" is checked hit apply and ok.

4.5 ~ In the City of Heroes folder rename the score folder to homecoming. (this is due to the server migration while torrent file are from before).

5~ double click tequila.exe, make sure score is highlighted, go in options and make sure the install path is C:\Games\City of Heroes, do this by using the browse button. Then click revalidate.

6 ~  Repeat step 4 but for the homecoming.exe.

If windows defender is giving you problems, add the game folder (City of Heroes folder) to the exception list, in fact you should just do it.

see here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-exclude-files-and-folders-windows-defender-antivirus-scans

The Tequila download seems to be hung up on \piggs\texWorldBuildings.pigg

I let it run overnight, but it had made no progress by morning.  Relaunched and it still seems to be struggling.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Has anyone got an easier “one click” link type of way?!? I’m trying to help a friend using a pc (I’m a Mac user) and she’s having trouble. Any advice? Can I put her in touch with one of y’all to walk her thru it?

Mist Weaver (aka Misty)

Level 50 Ill/Storm

"click properties and choose the compatibility tab and make sure to check the box for "Disable display scaling for high dpi settings". Click apply and ok."

I don't see this box anywhere.

Guessing you are on w10 not w7 so keep reading, it's a little lower down.

"For windows 10 Start > PC settings > Display > Under "Scale and Layout," change the dropdown option for "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" to the recommended setting (100% in my case)."

@Misty your friend might want to try getting help on discord setup-install-help channel in the support section if she needs someone to give her a walk through it.  Link is in the OP.

The recommended is 150% and it still doesn't do anything when I select it. The specific issue is my resolution is 800x600 and it just won't change. I want to be able to use the entire screen on my laptop.

The recommended is 150% and it still doesn't do anything when I select it. The specific issue is my resolution is 800x600 and it just won't change. I want to be able to use the entire screen on my laptop.

Pressing alt+enter changes to fullscreen from windowed mode and vice versa.  If the res is screwy or zoomed in the disable display scaling takes care of that.  To  change resolutions use the settings option at log in screen if that doesn't work changing it ingame via the menu/option/graphics.

If that doesn't work you can look in the registry and try changing it there.  Two ways to open the registry in windows 10:

1~ In the search box on the taskbar, type regedit. Then, select the top result for Registry Editor (Desktop app).

OR

2~ Press and hold or right-click the Start  button, then select Run. Enter regedit in the Open: box and select OK.

Once in the registry look for (in the left window):    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cryptic\coh

When you click on the coh folder in the left window all those REG_SZ files will show up in the right window. You can can edit a REG_SZ by right clicking it and choosing modify.

Look for fullscreen and make sure value in the data column is 1.  1=fullscreen yes  0=fullscreen no

Also look for screenX  and screenY.  1920x1080p for example would be:

screenX value for data column 1920

screenY value for data column  1080

See the screenshot:

wrhD0fu.png

If the above solutions doesn't work I dunno tbh as those have for pretty much everyone else.

What if you don't have the original game installed? I can't find my disc to install the COH fiiles and everything I'm reading looks like I need to have it installed already and place everything for Tequila in those folders.

Follow what is said in the OP.

Tequila and Island Rum are homebrew launchers.

The i24, i25 also known as issue 24 or issue 25 are the actual games files that you need or are talking about here.

They can be downloaded from Tequila which I don't recommend it as it's not good at downloading big files OR you can get them from the torrent in the OP which is only the game files.

You can also use the alternate torrent (magnet link) mentioned in the OP but that is located in one of my post near the bottom of page one of this thread.  This torrent contains the game files AND tequila.

*looks up* Thanks!

Updating OP with wrong game version error fix, credits to The Fifth Horseman.

see here, post 3.

https://score.savecoh.com/index.php/topic,78.msg680.html#msg680

In your tequila.xml, the SCORE line should look like this:

<launch exec="score.exe" order="0" params="-patchdir score -patchversion 2019.04.19 -auth 178.62.218.227 -noversioncheck">SCORE</launch>

Working tequila.xml attached, just drop it in the same folder where you've installed Tequila.

Hi there,

I have a strange problem. I am not able to click the Login, Exit or Settings Buttons in the launcher. They highlight when I hover over them, but when I click nothing happens. Is there a fix to this?

I tried all mentioned fixes to the resolution problems as i guessed this might have something to do with it, but they did not help.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Droenski

Jacke reported an interesting issue: sometimes (perhaps some versions of?) Tequila creates a key named "params" under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Tequila in your system registry - and it seems it uses that value preferentially over the ones in tequila.xml.

If any of these is happening:

[*]SCORE continues to report wrong game version even when Tequila.xml contains the -noversioncheck parameter

[*]SCORE crashes on launch

[*]SCORE is unable to connect to the authentication / login servers

Start -> Find/Run -> Regedit -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Tequila . Remove everything inside the Tequila key