Install and Troubleshooting Guide v2

Silk

"City of Heroes has stopped working..." This is the message I keep getting when I try to launch, and it dies.

I've deleted game files from C drive and downloaded again from tequila twice. Still happens. Anyone help me out here, what am I doing wrong?

How are you launching the game? Describe the process step by step, please.

"City of Heroes has stopped working..." This is the message I keep getting when I try to launch, and it dies.

I've deleted game files from C drive and downloaded again from tequila twice. Still happens. Anyone help me out here, what am I doing wrong?

How are you launching the game? Describe the process step by step, please.

I run score.exe as administrator. I get the loading pop-up and the Statesman and co login screen with the right-hand side blank (no actual name or password entry boxes or buttons) and then nothing. That incomplete login screen sits there for ages doing nothing until I press windows to exit, and find the "city of heroes has stopped working..." pop-up has appeared. Both windows then close by themselves.

I run score.exe as administrator. I get the loading pop-up and the Statesman and co login screen with the right-hand side blank (no actual name or password entry boxes or buttons) and then nothing. That incomplete login screen sits there for ages doing nothing until I press windows to exit, and find the "city of heroes has stopped working..." pop-up has appeared. Both windows then close by themselves.
You're not supposed to run score.exe directly. Not that it's not possible, but the game will doe exactly what you've described unless score.exe is launched with the proper command line parameters (patch version + authserver) - which Tequila supplies for you.

I have a 1920x 1080 monitor. When i put that setting in the graphic UI it is off center and my mouse maping is also screwy.

I the largest display only 1680 x 1050  ?  what to i need to do to get this to work?

Read the fixes in the OP, there are several ways to fix this issue, under other tibits/screwy resolutions.

Updated OP with this method.

Windows Install Guide

Magnet link:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:FD5ADD155E5FD01D6013B026A8766E56C2841E3D&dn=City%20of%20Heroes

You need a bitclient to download via torrents so you need something like utorrent or qbits.

If this isn't a first time install but you want to install from scratch you will have to delete the tequila key in the registry.

You can delete the Tequila registry key with Start -> Find/Run -> REG DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tequila

You can also check manually to see if the Tequila folder in the registry was delete by typing regedit in the start search bar and hitting enter. Then in the window that opened navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and check see if you have a Tequila folder in the list.

If this is a first time install or first time using tequila ignore the registry key deletion bit above.

NOTE:  Due to the server migration some of the files will need to update. Namely before doing anything you need to rename the "SCORE" folder to "homecoming".  Then when you update it should make a homecoming.exe application.

For a first time install

Step one

Download the torrent..you can simply paste the whole magnet link into your browser address bar which will open up your bitclient and ask if you want to download the torrent, obviously say yes. ;)

While that is downloading.

Step Two

Get your install path ready. Make a folder on your C:/ drive called Games.  You can make sure your anti virus has an exception for the whole Games folder.  (Some people are afraid of doing this and prefer to only add an exception to score.exe (now after migration will be the homecoming.exe) and Tequila.exe in the City of Heroes folder you are downloading via the torrent).  I also run tequila.exe as admin but you shouldn't have to.

Step Three

Once the torrent is done you will have a "City of Heroes" folder in your torrent download location.  Move the whole "City of Heroes" folder, via copy and paste, to C:/Games.

Since we are using the old torrent for now you need to delete the "tequila.xml", the "tequilalog.xml", the "TequilaActivityLog.txt", and the "THIRDPARTYSOFTWAREREADME.txt". Rename the score folder to homecoming (due to the server migration).

Step Four

Start the Tequila launcher via the tequila.exe in the "City of Heroes" folder from C:/Games/City of Heroes. This should open a window asking you for the install path.  Point it to C:/Games/City of Heroes.  This will let it see you have all the games files and all the score files (homecoming now due to server migration).

Let Tequila update/validate.  Make sure "Homecoming" is highlighted in the Tequila launcher and hit play.

You should see this:

AKhdCAw.png

Enjoy the game, kill skulls!

If there any issues my OP will have fixes for those.

Logged into the game last night for the first time on my desktop computer (wanted to make sure it worked, since I couldn't get the resolution right for my laptop), but now this morning, Tequila is crashing.

Running Win7, Tequila opens and downloads a few files, but when it gets about 95% through downloading SCORE.EXE, the game crashes (tried multiple times, always crashes at the same place).

Any ideas?

Logged into the game last night for the first time on my desktop computer (wanted to make sure it worked, since I couldn't get the resolution right for my laptop), but now this morning, Tequila is crashing.

Running Win7, Tequila opens and downloads a few files, but when it gets about 95% through downloading SCORE.EXE, the game crashes (tried multiple times, always crashes at the same place).

Any ideas?

It's the first time you install the game on your desktop?  Where did you get the files from?

Have you tried downloading the game files and score files from the torrent?

Any ideas?

It's the first time you install the game on your desktop?  Where did you get the files from?

Have you tried downloading the game files and score files from the torrent?

No, I downloaded the client on the desktop yesterday and logged in with no problem once everything installed.  But this morning, it started crashing.

I don't have Torrent so not really sure how to get the files that way.

Did you check see if your anti virus is blocking score? it sometimes flags score as a virus.  Just had someone have this issue on discord even though he was playing fine last night.  If so whitelist score.

I just add an exception to the whole game folder personally.

Did you check see if your anti virus is blocking score? it sometimes flags score as a virus.  Just had someone have this issue on discord even though he was playing fine last night.  If so whitelist score.

I'll check, but I'm pretty sure that I saw a popup when I ran the game for the first time that the whole COH file was added as an exception in AV program.

I'll check, but I'm pretty sure that I saw a popup when I ran the game for the first time that the whole COH file was added as an exception in AV program.

Try readding it, it happens sometimes you have to do this if that doesn't work try deleting the tequila key in the registry.  Then when you start tequila again it should ask you for the install path again chose your game folder and see if that works.

deleting Tequila registry settings with Start -> Find/Run -> REG DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tequila

Just a heads up that this link isn't seeded so you guys may have to use the older one on at the bottom of page one.

I have made a new magnet link, to replace my old one being used in the official guides and discord how to, that is updated to today 5/8/2019

Link:

[removed]

Nit-pick: You've included options.txt, chat.txt, wdw.txt, tequilalog.xml and TequilaActivityLog.xml in the torrent.

These files contain user settings (former three) and Tequila's activity logs (latter two). Players who already have the game cannot join the torrent to help you fully seed it without overwriting their saved settings files or Tequila's activity logs. Understandably, that is NOT an acceptable outcome.

Just a heads up that this link isn't seeded so you guys may have to use the older one on at the bottom of page one.

I have made a new magnet link, to replace my old one being used in the official guides and discord how to, that is updated to today 5/8/2019

Link:

....snip...

Nit-pick: You've included options.txt, chat.txt, wdw.txt, tequilalog.xml and TequilaActivityLog.xml in the torrent.

These files contain user settings (former three) and Tequila's activity logs (latter two). Players who already have the game cannot join the torrent to help you fully seed it without overwriting their saved settings files or Tequila's activity logs. Understandably, that is NOT an acceptable outcome.

I think I will be redoing this torrent which is why I asked other to use the old one for now.. I probably should just remove it from here for the moment.

Can you remove the link from the quote in your post please since I will be taking it down.

Thanks!

Try readding it, it happens sometimes you have to do this if that doesn't work try deleting the tequila key in the registry.  Then when you start tequila again it should ask you for the install path again chose your game folder and see if that works.

deleting Tequila registry settings with Start -> Find/Run -> REG DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tequila

Added the whole COH file to antivirus exception, and deleted Tequila/registry - downloaded fresh Tequila and ran it, went through validating the files, but still crashing about 95% through downloading the SCORE.EXE file.  Any other suggestions?

Added the whole COH file to antivirus exception, and deleted Tequila/registry - downloaded fresh Tequila and ran it, went through validating the files, but still crashing about 95% through downloading the SCORE.EXE file.  Any other suggestions?

Download this archive, it's the score folder and score.exe from my game folder.  Just use winrar or 7zip to open it and put the score folder and the score.exe in your game folder.

https://ufile.io/art7wd5n

Download this archive, it's the score folder and score.exe from my game folder.  Just use winrar or 7zip to open it and put the score folder and the score.exe in your game folder.

https://ufile.io/art7wd5n

About the throw in the towel on this - it's telling me I need admin permissions to save this file in the COH folder, even though I'm logged into the computer on the admin account.

Is there a way to just uninstall eveyrthing (Tequile and all the COH files) and start from scratch?  I want to play the game, but given the limited amount of time I have to actually play, this is more work than I have the patience for.

About the throw in the towel on this - it's telling me I need admin permissions to save this file in the COH folder, even though I'm logged into the computer on the admin account.

Is there a way to just uninstall eveyrthing (Tequile and all the COH files) and start from scratch?  I want to play the game, but given the limited amount of time I have to actually play, this is more work than I have the patience for.

Where did you put the game's folder?

Where did you put the game's folder?

It's in the root C folder, set up like the guide instructions.

This might not be the perfect place for the question but I'm a stumped MacOS user.

Island Rum seems to be pointed at the right path. It has downloaded everything and can re-scan without wanting to download anything else. I have the blue arrow to play but when I click the arrow I get a green check mark for a minute, no other signs of action, and then the check mark goes away and I'm back at the play arrow.