Install and Troubleshooting Guide v2

Silk

can someone explain to me how the res scaling works? on the res if its on 1080 its fine but when i move the res scaling up to 1080 my game lags but when i move it down to say 1500 it doesnt lag but sometimes i can put it up in the 1700,1800;s and its fine

can someone explain to me how the res scaling works? on the res if its on 1080 its fine but when i move the res scaling up to 1080 my game lags but when i move it down to say 1500 it doesnt lag but sometimes i can put it up in the 1700,1800;s and its fine

I really don't see how your resolution would be causing you to lag more or less barring you trying to run a res your hardware just can't do.

i know thats what im not understanding my comp is only 4 years old heck my old computer i used on live i didnt lag even on the new ultra graphics at the time makes no sense. oh well guess ill live with the lowering of the slider heh

I seem to be having a small problem downloading what I assume is the patch... Tequila keeps crashing while trying to download, is there another source I could nab the patch from, or perhaps another fix I could try? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Its a little be difficult for me because my english is not very good for understand some technical words so i'm lost,

Anyway, after dowload ADK for my windows 10 version, i need to run the program but i cant find him in the start menu,

whats the name of the programme because in the top of my menu, i have : GPUView, Windows Performance Analyzer and Windows Performance Recorder ... whats the good one ?

Thk you guys !

Its a little be difficult for me because my english is not very good for understand some technical words so i'm lost,

Anyway, after dowload ADK for my windows 10 version, i need to run the program but i cant find him in the start menu, whats the name of the programme because in the top of my menu, i have : GPUView, Windows Performance Analyzer and Windows Performance Recorder ... whats the good one ?

None of the above. What you should run is Compatibility Administrator(32 bit)

@silk

You've done a lot of work here, so I hate asking more, but in terms of cleanup what files should go? Or to maybe simplify the question, what is the basic list of files that should still exist in the root directory? A simply image snapshot would answer the question.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Tried the OpenGL shim process and no luck. :(

QuoteModifyRemove

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)

Language: English (Regional Setting: Engli

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

System Model: VivoBook 15_ASUS Laptop X540UAR

BIOS: X540UAR.201 (type: UEFI)

Processor: Intel® Core i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8072MB RAM

Page File: 4905MB used, 4446MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Graphics card is Intel HD 640

"One user had problems updating with Tequila and found his patch.xml had the wrong address. He had "https://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml".. note the s after http.  You should have http://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml "

Hi, in the last 10 hours (I was playing last night and it was working fine) and now I think I've got an error related to this. I open Tequila it will check manifest

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/395538674277941248/586863111538081822/unknown.png?width=1202&height=677

And it's afaik the same in options. it will start downloading Homecoming.exe and crash when the bar fills, from what I can tell the download of the EXE isn't finished and I have no error message.

when I check the activity log though

"08/06/2019 11:24:19] Loading application.

[08/06/2019 11:24:19] Load application complete.

[08/06/2019 11:24:19] Started patching

[08/06/2019 11:24:19] Attempting to download Manifest file "http://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml"

[08/06/2019 11:24:26] Manifest downloaded successfully, starting to process it.

[08/06/2019 11:24:26] Starting self-patch process.

[08/06/2019 11:24:26] Self patching process complete.

[08/06/2019 11:24:26] Loading Web Browser URL to: "https://patch.savecoh.com/homecoming.html"

[08/06/2019 11:24:26] Downloading file "D:\COH Homecoming\homecoming.exe" from "http://159.203.149.108/hc/20190530resurgence.exe""

I think that URL it loads is wrong, I evidently haven't changed it or something or something has gone wrong overnight.

Any help please?

PS Great guide

Got it installed and running on Mac OSX 10.13 but won't take my game account username & password...

Make sure you went here to set up your game account and password.  It’s different than the forum account.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/account/

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

@silk

You've done a lot of work here, so I hate asking more, but in terms of cleanup what files should go? Or to maybe simplify the question, what is the basic list of files that should still exist in the root directory? A simply image snapshot would answer the question.

A few files you may not have that are in my pics:

Costumes  (saved costumes from the character creator)

Custom_Critter (AE stuff)

CustomVillainGroup  (AE stuff)

Data (for vidiotmaps and other custom stuff like sounds and fonts)

PowerCust  (saved power colors from character creation)

chat.txt

keybinds.txt

options.txt

PlayerCreatedSouvenirClues.txt  (AE stuff)

wdw.txt

If you have any of the above that is fine too.  Obviously if you do not use tequila as a launcher then any "tequila"  stuff in this list wont be there and you will have the appropriate files for what ever launcher you do use.

file-list-pt1.png

file-list-pt2.png

Those of you having problems with the openGL shim I suggest you visit discord and try to get help there as it not something I have personal experience with barring getting this down here to get it to the people that visit this forum.

That said with summer coming along my time is much more limited, I have a real life and family ;) , so I will not be as active as I was originally though I will still try to keep an eye on things and attempt to keep things updated.

There's lots of work being done in the background by various people and the SCOTS team... I will bring more information as it becomes available.

Last but not least I wish to reiterate this here:

*For Windows 8 and above, it is important that this is not in your Desktop, Documents, or Downloads folder due to permissions.

I feel it needs repeating as there are a few, well intentioned I think, people that keep saying running the game in your "Documents" is fine and it work just fine for them etc etc. 

This is a bad idea.... we suggest not installing there for very good reasons, it's not something we just decided and made up.  I have had to help ad nauseam people who had no issues issue running the game from documents till it did develop issues and I had to walk them over the process of moving their install to  X:/games/cityofheroes.

Windows is notorious for snowballing problems if the user's profile and associated folders become too great in size. As an example, your "desktop" folder is part of your profile directory (c:/users/(your windows username)/desktop. Documents is in there, too.

I will never understand why people install software in a DOCUMENTS folder.  ::)

Certain folders have certain permissions that change the way software works or is allowed to work.

If you don't know what you're doing, don't install software into your user directory or your desktop or your downloads folder or your documents folder.

You should also avoid trying to run/install the game to your bitclient download folder or OneDrive.  Ideally you want to put it two folder in so  X:/games/coh or cityofheroes and avoid location only one folder in (the root) like X:/coh or x:/cityofheroes.

Bumping this so I can find it since I refer folks to it a lot.

Needs a sticky or red letter

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

This magnet link is stalled out, any solution to that?

Which one?  This one here in the OP is still working fine for me:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:FD5ADD155E5FD01D6013B026A8766E56C2841E3D&dn=City%20of%20Heroes

Just checked it and has around 30+ seeds and is DL at 5.0+ MB/s ?

@WanderingAries  I did send GMDredd a PM to ask to have it sticked so you would have to bump it daily multiple times butnever heard anything back, guessing might have been lost in his in box as it may get busy in there.

Still you would think with 18K views and all the info put in there it would have been stickied by now. I mean if it was I am sure people would see it more!

:D

What's the native rez of the GPU/monitor? Also, lower rez would be easier on the GPU I would think as the field of view is smaller / less to draw.