Global Friends- Notes!

So I was going through my global list today and I realized... I can't remember half the people on my list. I know their characters, no doubt, but they've either changed their global name or I simply can't remember what I did with them!

Local friend has this super nifty add note window with previous messages and all that cool stuff.

Can we get that for global friends?

50 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

Actually, it -is- a Global feature, as far as I'm aware.  At the very least, it's working that way for me.

They know, they're just asking for the ability to add a note. All you can see is if they're on/offline, what server, teamed, etc. RIght click and you can only remove them or send them a global message.

Local, by comparison, you can right click and "edit note."

I think that would be useful, yes. Or at least tie the two together - if you have a local note already,  you can see it in global, otherwise you can add it.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

They know, they're just asking for the ability to add a note. All you can see is if they're on/offline, what server, teamed, etc. RIght click and you can only remove them or send them a global message.

Local, by comparison, you can right click and "edit note."

I think that would be useful, yes. Or at least tie the two together - if you have a local note already,  you can see it in global, otherwise you can add it.

Yes, this. 🙂

Edited by Pizzamurai
derp

Hmm, very odd.  I am able to select Global Friends who are on the same Shard as I by right-clicking in the Global Friend list, and the hit the "Add Note" button there, but if they're on a different Shard, I only get  the options to Remove or Chat.

If I send a Tell to either their Local name or Global name, I still get the option to Add/Edit Note after left-cilcking their name in the chat.  This is regardless of if I send the Global Tell from the same Shard or a different Shard.

Does anyone know if there is a slash command to add/edit a note?

It would certainly be nice if workarounds weren't necessary to get the other-Shard Global Friends a note dialogue, though.  I agree completely that the feature should function the same for local and distant friends.

Additionally, it appears that if someone changes their Global Handle, then you lose all your notes associated with them.  This is because all Notes are saved locally on your individual computer, and don't appear to get uploaded to the game servers in any capacity.  Since that file stores data based on the Global Name, if that name changes, the Notes remain for the original Global; not the new one.  Some way to compensate for that could also be handy, but I understand that changing Global identities is sometimes used to evade stalkerish "Friends," that changing this part of the Note code behaviour could be seen as not-so-helpful in those cases.

Follow-up!

There is another Global versus Local inconsistency; Tell Logs.

For some reason the Note system is logging the Local Tells but not the Global Tells.  That's so bizarre to me; I would have thought it would parse the data the other way around if it would only do one or the other.

So, yeah . . . sign me up for changing the Tell Logs to also include Global Tells, please and thanks!

8 hours ago, ArchVileTerror said:

Hmm, very odd.  I am able to select Global Friends who are on the same Shard as I by right-clicking in the Global Friend list, and the hit the "Add Note" button there, but if they're on a different Shard, I only get  the options to Remove or Chat.

If I send a Tell to either their Local name or Global name, I still get the option to Add/Edit Note after left-cilcking their name in the chat.  This is regardless of if I send the Global Tell from the same Shard or a different Shard.

Were they online at the time or off? I didn't see those, but nobody was on from my list at the time.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

Ah, sorry.  I didn't even think to test offline users.  I imagine that would function identically to Global Friends on other Shards.

Time to test that!

I see . . . I see . . . 

SO!  Offline Local Friends allow for the Add Note option, but not so for Global Friends (which is not surprising given the test conducted this morning).

Has anyone tracked down the slash command for adding/editing player notes?  I think that could be a big help in this matter.

13 hours ago, ArchVileTerror said:

Does anyone know if there is a slash command to add/edit a note?

/playernote global_name_here

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

@macskull with the save!  Thanks.

Ok, tested the command a little, and it appears that it allows you to -invent- Global Handles for players that don't even exist!  Something to be careful of.  Local names don't work with the command.

You don't need to use the @ sign when typing in a Handle either.  In fact, -don't- put the @ in, since it will create a new entry with that as part of the Handle, rather than consulting the existing entries.

Yeah you have to get the global name of the character in question using /getglobalname local_name_here and then use the /playernote command to either create a new note if none exists, or open one that already does. The player note function works by saving an entry in the playernotes.txt file in the install directory so it doesn't validate whether a global handle actually exists.

Edited by macskull

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

9 hours ago, macskull said:

Yeah you have to get the global name of the character in question using /getglobalname local_name_here

Side question... is there a way to make "Local_name_here" based on whoever you have targetted rather than having to type the name?

What this team needs is more Defenders

Of course, you could also just edit playernotes.txt I suppose, if you wanted to do this offline. Looks like the format is

"Global" "Stars" "Known character names, with commas for each" "Note"

Probably have to log off an dback on to the game for it to take effect, or at least get to the character select screen.